• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 5 sales below expectations.

And how are Xbox doing compared to that?
giphy.gif

ZehDon

Gold Member
And how are Xbox doing compared to that?
A publicly traded company's performance is typically based against expectations of their own performance. This is a good indication for investors; Sony could sell 100X what Xbox sells, but if they expected to sell 200X, then it's still considered a failure and a bad investment. As for Microsoft, they avoid all of this by simply never announcing hardware expectations; their "MAU" estimates and actuals are nebulous and vague unless they cite specific cases, such as Game Pass subscribers.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
It’s the same bullshit that every single big company does. So many retailers that stayed open during Covid were having the biggest sales of their entire existence, but somehow “they could have been better” so none of that crazy growth mattered. It’s never enough when shareholder demand crazy profits from previous years sales or growth based on “past accomplishments” without surveying the actual climate of the industry in the present.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Spiderman 2 will improve sales but the honest truth is this new console gen has been very disappointing.

For these past 3 years, if you never upgraded to a PS5 or Xbox series you didn’t really miss out because most of the big games have been cross gen.
100% I've felt this a few months in on both consoles. Worst and most importantly least fun start to any generation.

MrA

Banned
on track for a 20+ million unit year (I'm not as bullish as to say 25,I bet it will hit 22 to 23) but this is going to be at worst playstations second/3rd best year for 1 console (I can't see a scenario below 20 million which puts it 2nd to 3rd year) and very likely best year (23 million or above)

It’s the same bullshit that every single big company does. So many retailers that stayed open during Covid were having the biggest sales of their entire existence, but somehow “they could have been better” so none of that crazy growth mattered. It’s never enough when shareholder demand crazy profits from previous years sales or growth based on “past accomplishments” without surveying the actual climate of the industry in the present.
It is Sony that set the excessive expectation of 25M, not shareholders.

ReBurn

Gold Member
They missed expectations but are still bullish, so they are either arrogant or know things are improving quickly.
Certainly explains why they're discounting hardware. They need to move all of the inventory they're committed to producing in order to try to hit their projections. If it's in warehouses it's costing them money. Cut the price, move it though, hit sales projections. Would help if they had more than one big first party game on the schedule for the rest of the year. Maybe they'll announce something we haven't seen yet.

Eh, this have nothing to do with us. It still doing good and great. Just affect investors and ppl that really put money in stock. Just means they may not have as high of a revenue for this quarter. So their stock may go down some. It happens. Still sales well.

Kamina

Golden Boy
This expectation all the big companies have, that there is always growth is so ridiculous.
In some years we need to be happy that the economy worked at all.

Last edited:

Erkuza

Banned
I've always defended Sony during the PS3 and PS4 era when people said they had no games. But now with the PS5 I have to actually agree. I sold my PS5 after beating GOWR because other than spiderman there is nothing else coming out for the foreseeable future that I just can't play on PC with better graphics and performance.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Explains the discounts on hardware. If they have stuffed the channel with inventory thinking it's going to sell but sales have softened to what they expected.

I mean 3.3 million is hardly a bad number when it's 40 percent up from last year. That's incredible growth. Maybe they just slightly miss read what the ceiling was for this quarter. Hardly end of the world.

Sales are flying with the discounted hardware, I bought my second ps5 In prep for niche man 2. Systems are going to fly this year.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I've always defended Sony during the PS3 and PS4 era when people said they had no games. But now with the PS5 I have to actually agree. I sold my PS5 after beating GOWR because other than spiderman there is nothing else coming out for the foreseeable future that I just can't play on PC with better graphics and performance.

Joining Welcome Home GIF

PC getting tasty games from Xbox and Playstation side with tons of new japanese support is incredible, on top of the already incredible mod community, sim racers/flights, VR, etc. I have a switch but that might be the last console i ever buy.

Erkuza

Banned
Joining Welcome Home GIF

PC getting tasty games from Xbox and Playstation side with tons of new japanese support is incredible, on top of the already incredible mod community, sim racers/flights, VR, etc. I have a switch but that might be the last console i ever buy.
Nintendo does it right with the Switch. Instead of spending 200 mil on one game they spread it out over several games through out the year so you always have a steady stream of exclusives to play.

NikuNashi

So instead of playing on a 500usd PS5 you are playing on a 2000+USD machine, and what point are you trying to prove?

Erkuza

Banned
So instead of playing on a 500usd PS5 you are playing on a 2000+USD machine, and what point are you trying to prove?
PC has always been where I played my third party games. I only buy consoles for their exclusives and now that Sony is only focusing on 1 or 2 big exclusive games a year I can't justify paying $500 for just two games that will eventually make it to PC anyway.

//DEVIL//

PC has always been where I played my third party games. I only buy consoles for their exclusives and now that Sony is only focusing on 1 or 2 big exclusive games a year I can't justify paying $500 for just two games that will eventually make it to PC anyway.
Same boat but still ended up with a PS5 for now. Not because of Sony first party games as I kinda hate most of them. I hate horizon games and don't like spider man ( didn't play it on PS4 or 5 or PC )
Probably the first party games I wanted to play was god of war and my god that was a drag and a letdown and GT7 ( I love this game ).

However some games I can't really wait till PC release. Stuff like final fantasy 16 and rebirth I need to play them day one. And 500$ isn't really a deal breaker or anything .

Last edited:
4.5M for the quarter seemed like ridiculously high and unrealistic expectations for what is generally the slowest quarter.

It’s been killing it in terms of NPD vs previous consoles highs in this quarter …so did they really expect that much?

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
This console generation sucks. I like the PS5 hardware, but I have a 4090. That's where third party goes. Which leaves Sony exclusives. They're okay, but there isn't many of them. That Crowbcat video really drove home how amazing the 2000s were - it felt like every month or two, we got a new groundbreaking franchise, or an update in a series that blew my mind.

I do like the Dualsense Edge though. That's the best controller I've ever owned.

ProtoByte

Playstation fans should not get defensive about this. Not every quarter is going to smash expectations, and they probably shouldn't. As a PlayStation diehard, while I think Sony's doing well, I don't think they're doing perfectly. PlayStation showcase was a huge disappointment, they're not being as protective of their platform and first party titles as they should be in the incoming paradigm shift, the messaging around the live service push is not appealing to core gamers, and their visible suite of upcoming games does not entice the way it did this time last gen.

Having a "slow" quarter every now and again is healthy if it goes towards Sony constantly being on the ball and reevaluating what they're doing.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
4.5M for the quarter seemed like ridiculously high and unrealistic expectations for what is generally the slowest quarter.

It’s been killing it in terms of NPD vs previous consoles highs in this quarter …so did they really expect that much?
Companies always want growth. Right now it looks like they can't even beat PS4.

Top Bottom