• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 5 sales below expectations.

MrA

Banned
Sort of like an Aldi but more hipster. Both brothers started each company, one brother died, now the sole brother owns both.
No it's way stranger than that, they were 1 company, split into 2 due to an argument over cigarettes and drew a line across the world a la i live Lucy cigarettes bro on 1 side no smokes on the other,
They're still separated with traders Joe's the loophole for one of them to enter the US market

Alan Wake

Spiderman 2 will improve sales but the honest truth is this new console gen has been very disappointing.

For these past 3 years, if you never upgraded to a PS5 or Xbox series you didn’t really miss out because most of the big games have been cross gen.

I've been very busy playing but when I look at the games in my shelf I realize very few of them are true next gen. And not only that, they don't really feel next gen either. Yes, the pandemic is partly to blame - Ragnarök would've been a PS5 exclusive. I guess now is the best time to jump in, although at a higher price (luckily for us who were early adopters).

Kilau

I think the lack of worthwhile, tech-advanced, games for both Xbox and PS are probably the main reason for any sales below expectation. But even then, both will probably catch some steam after more games come out.
More like catch both their games out on Steam!

Excite Parks And Recreation GIF by Naughty Dog

I feel the complete opposite. Being able to play games like Horizon, Spiderman, GT etc. in 60fps is a generational leap coming from the last generation. Try going back to a ps4 after using a PS5...
By your comment I am going to assume your younger because in the past when a new console launches we would see bigger jumps in innovation from gameplay, graphics, etc not just an FPS boost.

But I agree that its nice to see faster load times and more 60 FPS games but that's not enough of a leap IMO. This gen feels more like a PS4 Pro 2 than a whole new console gen.

But more next gen only games are releasing so hopefully we will start to see a real shift.

shubik

By your comment I am going to assume your younger because in the past when a new console launches we would see bigger jumps in innovation from gameplay, graphics, etc not just an FPS boost.

But I agree that its nice to see faster load times and more 60 FPS games but that's not enough of a leap IMO. This gen feels more like a PS4 Pro 2 than a whole new console gen.

But more next gen only games are releasing so hopefully we will start to see a real shift.
Im 35 and game my whole life. I started with a SNES.

I agree that we had bigger leaps in the past. But that was to be expected.

pasterpl

Sony missing this target might explain the price cuts. They are chasing this target and even upped the yearly forecast. they need Spider-Man to push lots of consoles at this lower price. People seems to not understand that if company is missing its target is always a bad sign. Cannot you remember thread when MS missed some of the targets for Xbox?

Sony missing this target might explain the price cuts. They are chasing this target and even upped the yearly forecast. they need Spider-Man to push lots of consoles at this lower price. People seems to not understand that if company is missing its target is always a bad sign. Cannot you remember thread when MS missed some of the targets for Xbox?

Don't think it means the PS5 is failing. If it is then everyone else is doomed. Could ve a sign of the markets death.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I look forward to SIE becoming a future Microsoft umbrella studio in the near future.

Ffs pouring one out for the homie.

Austin Pour One Out GIF by Pixel Bandits

It's quite clearly a joke but I guess it crossed the line. Please don't get perma next time

On topic. Sony are doing so well, if they don't hit 25 mill it will be close, like 22 to 23 mill imo. I mean you've got the best selling box with the biggest mindshare and your £80 cheaper than the competition that's acting like an already half dead lepper victim this generation. The only thing is that lepper is a trillionaire who's slowly dragging its corpse down the high Street trying to buy everything hoping for a cure...time will tell if they find the miracle cure...

Last edited:

Missing a target isn’t a bad if the target is set super high.

They are looking to outsell ps4’s highest years, that’s a pretty hard ask. They may be able to do it though.

Portugeezer

The sales expectations were high.

Regardless of that, hopefully a wakeup call after that hot-garbage summer PlayStation Showcase killed excitement.

Terrible bait thread.

Threads like this are gonna be a meme by the end of the year when after Spiderman 2 releases.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm staying positive, I think it's a good sign that Sony has found out it can't just sell boxes off hype alone, that lasted for 3 years and now they need to start showing next gen games. They showed Spiderman like what? 2 years ago. We haven't seen anything else at all.

They gotta have a huge showcase planned for any day now to show games coming first half next year.

The positive side is they are still having record breaking numbers but it has slow3d to what they expected, so they've had to opt for an injection by dropping a considerable sale on the hardware. This will only work for a burst of sales and needs backing up with game announcements.

Positives for all sides. Sony gets the sales they want. Fans will get game announc3ments soon that hopefully blow us all away.

Last edited:

peish

i think consoles sales have peaked at tail end of covid
games are getting too expensive. people are getting mobile. hardcore will prefer playing on more poweful pc. who can stand 30fps these days?

so this is why ps5 has been getting discounted
Sony last chance is to market ps+ extra, give gamers more incentives to stay the course

I'm staying positive, I think it's a good sign that Sony has found out it can't just sell boxes off hype alone, that lasted form3 years and now they need to start showing next gen games. They showed Spiderman like what? 2 years ago. We haven't seen anything else at all.

They gotta have a huge showcase planned for any day now to show games coming first half next year.

I think Sony already knows how important games are to the PS5s success. If it was for their lineup in the beginning things would have turned out differently. Although I agree the strength of the brand is helping them a lot right now. Which isn't a bad thing as long as they deliver.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think Sony already knows how important games are to the PS5s success. If it was for their lineup in the beginning things would have turned out differently. Although I agree the strength of the brand is helping them a lot right now. Which isn't a bad thing as long as they deliver.

Completely agree.

Personally, I do feel they were very intelligent with how they bolstered the ps5 launch years with ps4 games which helped them massively. If they didn't have spider man, miles morales, horizon, gt7, god of war. Which were all ps4 games..they would have had demons souls, ratchet and clank and returnal. Not bad but not amazing. It was a clever move and it paid off big time. Now I want to see their true next gen games from their larger studios.

Completely agree.

Personally, I do feel they were very intelligent with how they bolstered the ps5 launch years with ps4 games which helped them massively. If they didn't have spider man, miles morales, horizon, gt7, god of war. Which were all ps4 games..they would have had demons souls, ratchet and clank and returnal. Not bad but not amazing. It was a clever move and it paid off big time. Now I want to see their true next gen games from their larger studios.

I definitely expect there's a lot thet we haven't seen yet. Although we will probably get those titles either half way or towards the end of the gen. Curious to see what their plans for next year is.

pasterpl

Don't think it means the PS5 is failing. If it is then everyone else is doomed. Could ve a sign of the markets death.

I don’t think Sony is failing, just highlighting the fact that missing a target set by a company usually means that shareholders will be unhappy. Upping the year;y target was done probably to make the fact that q1 target was missed look not so negative. The fact that they want to chase their higher target is beneficial for the players as this means price cuts and hopefully more, better games that will push people to buy hardware.

And the fact they are still sharing numbers says something as well. I'm really not seeing this as the death of PlayStation or anything similar.
Sharing numbers have nothing to do with this. It’s a company policy that’s all. No one sane would say that this means ”the death of Playstation”. They are still outselling Xbox approx 2:1 and are gaming market share.

Missing a target isn’t a bad if the target is set super high.

They are looking to outsell ps4’s highest years, that’s a pretty hard ask. They may be able to do it though.
Missing a target is always bad in eyes of shareholders. This means that 1. Market changed vs what it was when the target was set, 2. Sony ability to forecast accurately is somehow off, 3. Market might be getting saturated, 4. Events outside the Sony control are having an impact.

as stated above, this usually means price cuts and trying to capture bigger audience with better games, so gamers win. Unless Sony puts that new sales target for the year in hands of their GaaS games push.

Sony still got marketing rights to the new CoD and this game always sales and push hardware sales, they have got Spider-Man for this year as well.

Sharing numbers have nothing to do with this. It’s a company policy that’s all. No one sane would say that this means ”the death of Playstation”. They are still outselling Xbox approx 2:1 and are gaming market share.

Usually Sony isn't transparent with numbers if they are doing horribly. They usually give them when they reach important milestones or are doing very well.

Obviously you were thinking about Xbox but I was talking about when Sony doesn't share numbers with us.

When Sony stops sharing numbers it means there is something really wrong.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Guess these 'tweeters' have a hard time understanding inflation.

The inflation in US is going down at a higher rate than here in Europe.

Sony is discounting the PS5 - because inflation is going down.

Is it really that hard to understand?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Guess these 'tweeters' have a hard time understanding inflation.

The inflation in US is going down at a higher rate than here in Europe.

Sony is discounting the PS5 - because inflation is going down.

Is it really that hard to understand?

It got discounted by £80 in UK and in Europe ahead of america. Our inflation is FUCKED in the UK so I don't quite understand what you are implying here?

8BiTw0LF

Banned
It got discounted by £80 in UK and in Europe ahead of america. Our inflation is FUCKED in the UK so I don't quite understand what you are implying here?
I'm implying sales would've been higher if people in Europe didn't suffer from inflation. Here in Denmark we're still paying a lot more for goods than pre 2021.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm implying sales would've been higher if people in Europe didn't suffer from inflation. Here in Denmark we're still paying a lot more for goods than pre 2021.

But sales on everything would be higher if inflation wasn't as bad? Its just the way it is. Have they not cut the price of the PS5 in Denmark?

sn0man

Considering their hardware is up, the few sales that they might be losing by selling games on PC - months to years later is hardly making a difference. They just came off of their best June since 2008, but this is the conclusion?
I don’t know their reference point for 2008. They sold as many consoles as they did in 2008? The gaming market is much larger today than 2008. (The United States total population is ~50million more now then in 2008, for example).

I do know (based on this thread) that they missed their own forecast for the quarter by ~30% and a ~million consoles. If it is true (no clue, didn’t verify the tweets), then it is possible a portion of that million sales is due to folks like me just reinvesting in my PC setup. (Sure like maybe a couple 100k sales, but then we now can figure out what a few means to us).

I’m maybe also very wrong and every person that bought a PS3/PS4 to play Sony exclusives, will now buy a PS5 to compliment their PC. (I just doubt it.)

None of that may matter though. Hypothetically if for every lost sale of a PS5 console, they sold a PC gamer a $60 PC download of Ratchet and Clank… then they probably enjoy that margin much better.

Last edited:

Woopah

there's little reason for smaller physical stores to keep ps5 stocks. it's big takes up space and not many gamers buy physical games
Physical is still important even on PS5. For example, in Europe there were more physical copies of FFXVI sold than digital copies.

MrA

Banned
there's little reason for smaller physical stores to keep ps5 stocks. it's big takes up space and not many gamers buy physical games
100 million physical games were sold on ps5 last year, and probably another 100 million switch games as well, plus probably a couple dozen million more on Xbox, approaching a quarter of a billion physical games are still sold annually,

Im 35 and game my whole life. I started with a SNES.

I agree that we had bigger leaps in the past. But that was to be expected.

The reason why we don't have bigger leaps isn't because of hardware. It is because videogames take 3 years and 100 million dollars.
Nobody is going to experiment unless they're funded directly by Sony. They all play it safe.

shubik

The reason why we don't have bigger leaps isn't because of hardware. It is because videogames take 3 years and 100 million dollars.
Nobody is going to experiment unless they're funded directly by Sony. They all play it safe.
I completely agree. The amount of work that needs to be done to create a real leap is the defining factor.

Top Bottom