• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 share in France vs Xbox reaches 93% vs 7%

Probably because they can’t understand the complaints from the non English speaking countries 🤣.
Most of those countries has lower gdp than Microsoft's market cap so...
(most probably jeopardizing their future in the process, for a subscription revolution pipe dream, which will never materialize.)
lol. It is hilarious to see all these takes about "jeopardizing future" when the one who is desperately trying to increase console numbers by treating PS Portal a console...

I do find it funny how often these articles pop up recently. It is rivalling IGN's reposting their Starfield score :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Crayon

Xbox console is cool. Xbox games are cool.
Xbox problem: fanbase

I think this is finally catching up with them. The viral/social marketing ratcheted up when the Xbo (and strangely, windows 8) came out. Eventually, hearing game pass name dropped 300 times a day since exactly the day it was announced and every day since has been at best conspicuous, and at worst culty.

It's hard to tell the exact dynamics but I would boil it down to the community becoming insular which has a lot to do with how outsiders view them. When you meet an Xbox fan irl and even they start trying to sell you on gp, that's weird. That and the decision makers seem to get sucked into it, like a form of audience capture. I'd point to the instant classic PS5 reveal day memo from Phil fixated the 'power' of 12tf and the resulting edge it will surely give them. The admitted emotionality and blindly optimistic declaration of victory (in the power narrative. One of many.) looks like a classic fanboy mentality to me.

bender

What time is it?
It just tells you even more that these console sales don't matter - if they need Portal to prop up their numbers (like that crutch for Slim model).
26e4537efa27ef2c3008d4e9273e41cc.gif

//DEVIL//

if my xbox series X wasn't a halo limited edition sealed. I would have got rid of it long time ago.

Not because Xbox sucks. it really doesn't. but when you have a high end pc ? yeah...

The good thing I buy MS first party games from their store. So,, i am kinda getting free copy of the game on Xbox. so the hardware cost it self is not the end of the word.

It's obvious you aren't taking these sales threads very well. Same coping replies over and over.

Take a break, hug that phil doll if it helps.
Considering how many threads people are making about Xbox, I am not sure who is coping there (especially post ABK it has intensified like crazy). Sometimes I feel like Playstation folks care more about Xbox than Xbox folks :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Woopah

lol. It is hilarious to see all these takes about "jeopardizing future" when the one who is desperately trying to increase console numbers by treating PS Portal a console...
Sony has asked Circana to track Portal as hardware and not an accessory.

That doesn't mean Portal numbers get added to PS5 numbers. Nothing is being inflated.

Ronin_7

Banned
Go hug a couple of sales charts. Don't forget to play some COD :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Post ABK, I find all these topics about "xbox dying" and "ps outselling xbox" hilariously cute.
WHAT has Activision to do with Xbox hardware situation?

Activision makes software that ships everywhere, it's not gonna help Xbox unless CoD went exclusive.

Sony has asked Circana to track Portal as hardware and not an accessory.

That doesn't mean Portal numbers get added to PS5 numbers. Nothing is being inflated.
It is not being inflated, the point is that Sony is using PS Portal as a console (handheld I guess in this case) to increase overall Playstation console sales (probably to tell shareholders that they have the response to Nintendo Switch or Switch 2).

love the stupid emoji after each sentence, perfectly projects the nervous breakdown you are experiencing
I find it ironic that you are mentioning "projection" here.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They actually did have a subsidy. But it didn't really work out for them. Price was never the issue especially with the Series S.
Obviously not enough.
The last problem Xbox has right now is price.
I completely agree, but a 100 dollar cheaper than ps5 series x with a lackluster line up of AAA blockbusters would definitely help until they could get some games out...which i hope they can...but I just don't know at this point....I've given them 3 years and while I personally enjoy starfield and forza they are missing that special something and level of polish I expect from them.

Tbh this generation is doomed for Xbox and I was completely in the camp that it couldn't be worse than the xbox one generation. They had the hardware and completely floundered on the software for three years straight. Embarrassing and I'm a fan. They make it too easy to be hated and I don't know how they turn that around now.

Do I personally enjoy my xboxs and their platform...yes..I do...but I also expect more from them and I'm not surprised they are floundering so badly.

MacReady13

I've been saying this for a while and I will continue to say it- Microsoft's continued focus on game pass over quality games will be their downfall. As great as service as the shills think it is, it's not doing them ANY favours whatsoever to help sell consoles (which is their biggest game pass market).
They had opportunities to grab people's attention- Halo on series X/S was a failure. Starfield has been a mess on console and PC. Forza is a buggy mess. Redfall is shit. They just continue to keep releasing "content" for game pass thinking that will be enough! Do they not realize us gamers do not give a FUCK about having 200 games on tap when the large majority are mediocre at best.

SkylineRKR

Series X is 100 euros cheaper right now. And it doesn't move much.

MS does PC day one and pushes their services beyond their console, so you don't really need an Xbox. For me its weird that they're even in the hardware business to begin with. Consoles are usually being sold at a loss. They have the Windows platform, and a lot of third party IP now. I think its easier for them to just go third party, and release their games on PC, PS5, Switch and everywhere else.

Perhaps they will in the near future, now that they have ABK and Zenimax. I wonder if they try again with a next-gen console despite the rumors. It makes little sense for me business wise.

Woopah

It is not being inflated, the point is that Sony is using PS Portal as a console (handheld I guess in this case) to increase overall Playstation console sales (probably to tell shareholders that they have the response to Nintendo Switch or Switch 2).
All we know so far is that Sony has asked the tracker of the North America market to include that device in the hardware column instead of the accessory column. That doesn't increase PS5 hardware sales, and there is no total "PlayStation console" figure that Circana releases.

They havn't said anything on how they will report Portal sales to investors. They may mention it in their next quaterly briefing, but we don't know if they will regulalry release hardware sales like they do for PS5.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
All we know so far is that Sony has asked the tracker of the North America market to include that device in the hardware column instead of the accessory column. That doesn't increase PS5 hardware sales, and there is no total "PlayStation console" figure that Circana releases.

They havn't said anything on how they will report Portal sales to investors. They may mention it in their next quaterly briefing, but we don't know if they will regulalry release hardware sales like they do for PS5.
Thank you.

Again......we are witnessing a meltdown in progress.

SkylineRKR

I've been saying this for a while and I will continue to say it- Microsoft's continued focus on game pass over quality games will be their downfall. As great as service as the shills think it is, it's not doing them ANY favours whatsoever to help sell consoles (which is their biggest game pass market).
They had opportunities to grab people's attention- Halo on series X/S was a failure. Starfield has been a mess on console and PC. Forza is a buggy mess. Redfall is shit. They just continue to keep releasing "content" for game pass thinking that will be enough! Do they not realize us gamers do not give a FUCK about having 200 games on tap when the large majority are mediocre at best.

Gamepass is a catch 22 to me. If you don't play many games its not viable, and if you play a lot you'll likely want to play the latest big releases that we saw this year ie. RE4R, MK1, Cyberpunk PL, AW2 etc. If you play these games, you're better off just buying Starfield and not pay a recurring fee for it.

The odd MS exclusive so far on there doesn't deliver.

For me its weird that they're even in the hardware business to begin with
Basically for ecosystem. Essentially Xbox is akin Mac ecosystem if we consider Play Anywhere. Kinda. Without your own hardware you basically have to depend on somebody else for your content.

I do wonder what would happen if they did not scrap Windows Phone and stuck with it till now. Satya mentioned that he did regret cancelling Windows Phone. Would be curious to see where we would be now with it. Especially with android app support on windows.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Series X is 100 euros cheaper right now. And it doesn't move much.

MS does PC day one and pushes their services beyond their console, so you don't really need an Xbox. For me its weird that they're even in the hardware business to begin with. Consoles are usually being sold at a loss. They have the Windows platform, and a lot of third party IP now. I think its easier for them to just go third party, and release their games on PC, PS5, Switch and everywhere else.

Perhaps they will in the near future, now that they have ABK and Zenimax. I wonder if they try again with a next-gen console despite the rumors. It makes little sense for me business wise.
That's the problem
I think if they did a 250 bundle with the S and MW3 during black friday it will sell like hot cakes but they did it on the X that no one buys

I feel like my country is about the same. The only people who bought xbox this gen only bought it because ps5 was impossible to get.
probably the population with highly asymmetrical thumbs that was trying to force Playstation to morph their controller to their special physical needs.

It’s still wild to me Microsoft not being able to fund a consistent flow of games.

Also anyone that argued Xbox Series S was a good idea was completely wrong.

SkylineRKR

The XSS was a mistake and I say this as an owner. It was a fun console during the pandemic, as it was readily available. A good gateway to GP, which during that time was still kind of worthwhile as releases were far and few inbetween in general.. it was much different from today. The console surprised me, I had it before my PS5 and it was fast, silent.. it was a step above my PS4 Pro. I played the likes of Yakuza 7 at 60fps and without load times, it was pretty neat.

But the Series S kind of backfired. I doubt it was ever meant to be MS' premier seller (they changed their narrative on it over time), and we've witnessed the Baldurs Gate clusterfuck. MS is now in a position of what to push during Holiday, and they already lifted their parity clause which made Larian release the game without splitscreen which opens opportunities for more developers.

I do find it funny how often these articles pop up recently. It is rivalling IGN's reposting their Starfield score :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ps portal is separate, dumbass. It's not going to be lumped in with PS5. Atleast get your facts straight if your gonna have a meltdown over a factual sales thread.

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned
the last x box I owned was a 360. How bad does the situation mentioned in topic title hurt xbox and what do they go about it going forward to fix it?

yurinka

Microsoft need to do something drastic. If I was them I'd just write off a couple of billion and sell the console 100 dollars cheaper than ps5.
The thing is that most people who doesn't buy it wouldn't even buy it at $99. Their problem isn't the price.

Their problem is that their direct competition has way more great games that are available on PS but not in Xbox (this includes multiplatform games not released on Xbox) than the opposite. Plus a cheaper game sub with more and better games. Plus VR.

And well, all Xbox games are on PC and released day one, so people don't need to buy their console. And even in PC, since all their games are in day one they don't even need to buy them.

Chechack

Considering how many threads people are making about Xbox, I am not sure who is coping there (especially post ABK it has intensified like crazy). Sometimes I feel like Playstation folks care more about Xbox than Xbox folks :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I Gotchu back bro

Xbox/Phil lives rent free in their minds eh eh eh

Gamepass rulez xoxo

Top Bottom