• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Boss Jim Ryan Says Publishers Don't Like Xbox Game Pass

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Microsoft is giving sweetheart deals to Japanese games publishers in order change their image of having no good Japanese games. Its not a bad strategy, but the payday these publishers are getting now won't be as good as when Microsoft's focus changes to something else. Especially when they are not even timed exclusives like Yakuza was.

I'm ok with their current focus, and it's not like they're courting every Japanese studio. For example, it looks like MS and Square have completely severed communication, and MS are more focused on Sega/Atlus and Capcom. As long as they have 2, 3 notable Japanese publishers in the cycle, that's ok and it shouldn't be big enough of a burden that they aren't able to make any other deals.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Jim implying that Microsoft are literally blackmailing publishers?

Also, why would ubisoft and EA have streaming services and also playstation plus exist if publishers hated them?

It's like he panicked and just said...Well guess what...publishers don't even like game pass....trust me, they told me.

Which publishers Mr Ryan?

Err ...umm...you know...all of em!

fallingdove

Another false Jim Ryan narrative. The publishers getting paid don't seem to mind the security.

Amazing how much mindshare XBox has on this site. Almost XBox obsessed. The vast majority of current threads are all XBox related. And, like this one, even the Sony articles are about Xbox. 🤔
You mean the praise from a couple broke, no name indie companies or internal Microsoft studios?

There is a reason you don’t see major publishers offering day one releases. It’s a race to the bottom that publishers realize will take them down a path of no return.

T4keD0wN

Because that’s what they are competing with and what they don’t like

They are not against subs of legacy content
Oh, so they dont hate it at all. They merely wait for their regular sales to slow down enough before taking advantage of it for financial reason. Seems like they actually really like it since so many eventually put their stuff on it after their sales fall below a certain level.
Releasing day 1 is not a mandatory part of the service, its just discretionary.
BTW, whats with constantly pushing the goal posts and creating extra stipulations? First its just games from publishers that are not small, then its no isolated game agreements and having to release day 1, then they cannot be smaller ips nor newer titles, have to "proven" and they also have to have 100M dollar budget. Whats next? I can still come up with Total war games and Yakuza btw.
Many haven't.

See my above post re: Cyberpunk. Nearly three years, you'd think it would have shown up on Game Pass by now. Especially with all the trouble the game had. Taking a bag of money and getting some publicity out of it would seem like a no-brainer... yet they're not putting it up on either Game Pass or PS+. They'd rather stick with the traditional sales model even with all the issues the game has had.
Cyberpunk apparently seems to sell well even over time based on their recent reports. If it makes financial sense for them not to put it there they shouldnt, not everything has such long legs as cdpr games.

Last edited:

fallingdove

Also, why would ubisoft and EA have streaming services and also playstation plus exist if publishers hated them?

It's like he panicked and just said...Well guess what...publishers don't even like game pass....trust me, they told me.

Seems like the exact same thing Microsoft is saying. I know we have only had a couple indie studios and internal developers praise GamePass but trust us, everyone loves it. They love it soooo much they are spending the next few years picking out the perfect game to get started.

Nydius

it's sad really, poor EA being forced at gunpoint to release their yearls FIFA... uhm, sorry EA Sports FC, games on gamepass after 6 months :(

Maybe a minor nitpick but you're conflating Game Pass and EA Play. You can have regular old Game Pass, which doesn't come with EA Play so those players wouldn't have access to the EA Play library. That's only a perk of Game Pass Ultimate -- and hardly much of a perk at that, when one considers PS+ Premium with EA Play a la carte is still cheaper per year than Game Pass Ultimate.

But I digress. Your comment illustrates my fear of what's going to happen with subscription services and publishers. We've already seen EA decide to put all their stuff behind their own service. Ubisoft has now put all of their stuff behind their own service, so it's unlikely that future Ubisoft games will ever show up on Game Pass or PS+ Extra/Premium. It's beginning to look like the video streaming arena where everyone is going to end up making their own services for their own content, fragmenting the hell out of the industry, and driving the value proposition of subscription services down into the gutter.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You mean the praise from a couple broke, no name indie companies or internal Microsoft studios?

There is a reason you don’t see major publishers offering day one releases. It’s a race to the bottom that publishers realize will take them down a path of no return.

3 pages, and non of the GP shills can name a single AAA big budget title. I mean were pretty much done. If these pubs he talked hate GP…well i believe him more then victim Spencer.

ReBurn

Gold Member

The indie derision is really interesting to me. Why the hate? Those are the games you'll be begging for once the big publishers abandon single player for GAAS money. Wait and see.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Publishers don't like putting their games day 1 since they'll lose their sales. When most of the revenue to be made by game copies has dried up, then they'll take the bag of cash and put them on the sub service (selling a game copy at Titanfall 2 prices is really not paying anyone's salaries). It's obvious that Ryan is not talking about sub services in their totality because then he'd be damning his own service.
Well, yeah, that's what I meant, but sales be damned if MS is whiling to pay a publisher for total benefits they would loose by putting a new game on Game Pass... They've done it before and Asobo Studio seems to be pleased but I wanna see if they have balls to do so with a full AAA game lol

Publishers don't care about "loosing sales" if they can get the money anyway. I agree game value perception is harmed though, but not in every case, some games would barely see any purchase and people playing it so it also benefits them.

adamsapple

Jim's statements don't say anything about day 1, why are we adding this extra stipulation that if every released game isn't on GP day 1, it means the publisher hates the service ? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

WB, Capcom, EA, Ubisoft, Sega etc have multiple games on the service.

I don't know about you but if I hated someone, I wouldn't want anything to do with them.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
fuck MS is going to go for even bigger shopping spree now JIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

fallingdove

The indie derision is really interesting to me. Why the hate? Those are the games you'll be begging for once the big publishers abandon single player for GAAS money. Wait and see.
Not if they end up being copy pasta like so many indie games have become.

Subscription services and cheap/free to play games disincentivize creativity and experimentation. If you are trying to design a low cost product that drives the largest number of plays/downloads you aren’t creating a 20 hour point and click puzzling adventure featuring a fencing Gorilla named Greg.

You get a tweened animation- or low effort pixel-based metroidvania side scroller or isometric dungeon crawler with procedurally generated areas. At least the merchandising of a digital store front culls some of the b-game rejects.

When everything is included with your subscription, you are faced with the infinite scroll nightmare of games created by developers that liked playing games but had no business making them.

Vognerful

Jim's statements don't say anything about day 1, why are we adding this extra stipulation that if every released game isn't on GP day 1, it means the publisher hates the service ? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don't know about you but if I hated someone, I wouldn't want anything to do with them.
Publishers hate also selling games on discount.

or selling physical games.

fallingdove

GamePass is the Las Vegas residency — where games —quirky, unremarkable, or past their prime go to die. WB, Capcom, EA, etc, use GamePass when they realize their money makers aren’t making money any more and don’t care about preserving their perceived value.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

it's sad really, poor EA being forced at gunpoint to release their yearls FIFA... uhm, sorry EA Sports FC, games on gamepass after 6 months :(
FIFA goes to EA play 8 months after its release, mid september to may for fifa 23 (for fifa 22 it was 9 months) . The game is already dead by then so an influx ot noobies is not seen as a bad thing.

We are not even in july and they are ramping up marketing for 24.

Furthermore while there is a deal to put ea play on gamepass, the sub service is their own and also available on playstation lol so if you're an ea play member on playstation you get the same content, including FIFA.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

I don't know, but didn't Microsoft just stated a while ago they are considering not releasing even first party games day one on GP? And they are raising the price of GP?

Last edited:

adamsapple

I don't know, but didn't Microsoft just stated a while ago they are considering not releasing even first party games day one on GP? And they are raising the price of GP?

They said that in an internal email 4 years ago, thankfully they didn't change it.

Last edited:
Is that why Sony San Diego, Jim's own studio keeps releasing MLB: The Show on Game Pass every year on day one? Jim you gotta talk to your guys, they're not listening to you.

Keyword “willingly”. Ole Jimbo might have made an awkward comment but if you think a company like Microsoft wouldn’t use their resources to make their game shine on their platform (graphics, debugging, performance, etc.) you’re kidding yourself.
Seems like old boy Jim is speaking from experience.

lh032

A. Publishers don't like Game Pass
B. Sony creates PS+ Premium and Extra to compete with Game Pass
C. Therefore Sony doesn't like Publishers
TBF, i think PS Premium and Extra is to fend of Gamepass if any publisher or dev wish to enroll the program.
Im pretty sure Sony still prefer selling games full price day 1 though.

Nydius

Is that why Sony San Diego, Jim's own studio keeps releasing MLB: The Show on Game Pass every year on day one? Jim you gotta talk to your guys, they're not listening to you.
If I recall correctly, that’s out of San Diego Studio’s and/or Sony’s hands. That was a decision by MLB Advanced Media as they’re the publisher of the game on both Xbox and Switch. (Edited for additional info.)

Last edited:

lh032

Anyone surprised here? we all know that right?
Imagine GTA release on gamepass, i wonder how much is the losses there for TakeTwo

K2D

Banned
I wouldn't trust anything Jimbo has to say. Even senior level developers from 3rd party studios are calling him out on his BS.

What he's saying is true - devs don't want to ship inferior projects.

They also don't call the shots.

Shareholders and execs are more than willing to rush out half baked products. Preferably with mtx's shoved in there.

Quality goes to the way side in favor of quantity/profitability.

Substance loses out to eye candy etc.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

Do I have a misread on this? I'm pretty sure Jim Ryan is saying that publishers who don't sign GamePass deals don't like the effect it has on the industry.

If you look at game sales, PlayStation is way outperforming XBox on big AAA multiplatform games. Significantly more than the hardware split would suggest.

I think he's referencing the fact that GamePass is muting the commercial viability of the most hardcore of XBox gamers.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What part of this is unexpected?

People who make money by selling games not happy with people who say, "why buy games, when you can simply rent all these games instead for a single monthly fee?"

Value destructive? Hell, yeah.

And of course in the long term cements the total dominance of the service provider, who get to dictate who and what gets featured for any given month.

StereoVsn

People are being obtuse, mostly on purpose.

Not a fan of Jim Ryan's schtick in general but he isn't wrong herenaa he is clearly referring to large publishers and AAA games on Day 1. This can be seen from Somy's strategy with PS+.

And he isn't wrong about GamePads value destruction. This can be seen in AAA game sales on the platform where sales percentages to PS5 are disproportional to market share.

For MLB there may be contract with the league itself, doubt otherwise Sony would put it on GP. For a few other games like SE or Sega it's mostly short-sightedness or belief that vast majority of sales will happen on PS5 anyways. Personally I think this is not smart since it devalues their property, especially on PC side and with future sequel titles (Hey Tomb Raider).

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
That's why all the big AAA third party games that still sell well, are just pining to be on there day 1.

They have isolated game agreements

They are not releasing day 1 bangers on GamePass

Smaller ip, new titles.

Again, not day 1 AAA proven IP with $100M budget

Seems like the exact same thing Microsoft is saying. I know we have only had a couple indie studios and internal developers praise GamePass but trust us, everyone loves it. They love it soooo much they are spending the next few years picking out the perfect game to get started.

Do I have a misread on this? I'm pretty sure Jim Ryan is saying that publishers who don't sign GamePass deals don't like the effect it has on the industry.

If you look at game sales, PlayStation is way outperforming XBox on big AAA multiplatform games. Significantly more than the hardware split would suggest.

I think he's referencing the fact that GamePass is muting the commercial viability of the most hardcore of XBox gamers.

I guess there's been evidence in this court case of xbox reaching out to big AAA publishers via email for day one launches and them turning them down.

Have these emails been leaked?

Or are you all implying they don't like it and just siding with big Jim here for reasons?

I mean, EA has a service with day one games...but it's exclusively their own...Ubisoft has a service with day one titles but it's exclusively their own....

There must be emails to other big publishers for games right?

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Makes sense to me. Although I guess it won’t matter if MS keeps buying the publishers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom