• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Currently Generates Over $14 Billion in Sales

What PlayStation Plus plan are you gonna get?

• Total voters
Jesus...14 billion?

Jim Ryan needs to go. I have no idea how Sony is happy with this...

/s

Jim must be turned into a pie.

h br GIF

DaGwaphics

Yes, that's revenue. Profit? It's a meme, my xbox friends told me so.

/s

The top lines are just easier to compare. A big portion of this will just be $$$ collected via digital sales with the biggest portion going to third-parties as expenses. Same with Xbox and Nintendo. No way these numbers couldn't go up for all three with so many sales coming through the console stores now.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The top lines are just easier to compare. A big portion of this will just be $$$ collected via digital sales with the biggest portion going to third-parties as expenses. Same with Xbox and Nintendo. No way these numbers couldn't go up for all three with so many sales coming through the console stores now.

- Nintendo doing extremely low effort to make good games/platforms and have extremely cheap projects = highest profit out of the 3.
- Sony is doing its best and investing big in innovative, state-of-the-art tech and leading the industry with production quality = barely making $2-3B profit out of $25B.
- Xbox is mostly in the loss phase since Xbox OG, but they're happy with that. Probably just like Netflix been happy making no profit for like 10+ years. They can afford it.

Last edited:
You should get the one month off the premium one, play ape escape 1 & 2 and get your Messiah BryanK75 to play it too and then get him to preach to your Sony boys to bring the series back.

Desperate times calls for desperate measures
Legend has it If you say his name three times into a mirror, he will appear and flick just the tip.

Z3xNxMY.gif

- Nintendo doing extremely low effort to make good games/platforms and have extremely cheap projects = highest profit out of the 3.
Nintendo's games are so in demand that they don't have to waste money on expensive visuals and marketing deals. They sold 180m first party games last year, more than 4x the number compared to Playstation = highest profit
- Sony is doing its best and investing big in innovative, state-of-the-art tech and leading the industry with production quality = barely making $2-3B profit out of $25B.
The vast majority of Sony's income comes from 3rd party, which means they can only keep up to 30% of the revenue they make. That's why their profitability is automatically much, much lower compared to Nintendo.
Xbox is mostly in the loss phase since Xbox OG, but they're happy with that. Probably just like Netflix been happy making no profit for like 10+ years. They can afford it.
Xbox was profitable in 2019, and they grew substantially since then.

Kokoloko85

I have Premium until June 2023 because of PS Now.

I don't want to use streaming, so I'll probably stick with Extra after that. But if the Trial feature expands into how we all think it may, then I'll go with Deluxe.

No way I'm going to stick with Essential because the PS+ Extra/Premium value on offer is unmatched. 700-800 games and big-budget high-quality AAA titles at just $100 per year is best value in gaming right now. 🔥

The classic games will be available to download not just stream. Only PS3 games are stream. Everything else can be downloaded

Kokoloko85

It generates this much revenue because the vast majority of people picked up a PlayStation 4 last gen and invested in the ps4 eco system. With PlayStation making pc ports, and other multiplatform games, they are giving those users an option to leave this $14 billion eco system.

Exactly and a certain percentage will leave for sure. And that number will increase year by year.
Some people who already have a PC and buy PS for the exclusives and sales..
Plus a smaller percentage of people who don’t currently have a PC will move to PC.

They will be shooting themselves in the long run and backtrack years later when the Damage is done

John Wick

It generates this much revenue because the vast majority of people picked up a PlayStation 4 last gen and invested in the ps4 eco system. With PlayStation making pc ports, and other multiplatform games, they are giving those users an option to leave this $14 billion eco system.
PlayStation tent pole franchises will remain exclusive. They will come to PC one year later minimum. Only games going multiplatform would be gaas games as Sony can make a fortune from MTX etc.
No chance Sony exclusives come to Xbox or Nintendo.

kyliethicc

Please also remember the accounting differences between the different segments.

Physical = royalty only
Digital = the full whack of the game revenue

It's also why Nintendo has a stupid profit margin.
This is revenue and includes 1st and 3rd party games.

I don’t get your point.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
PlayStation tent pole franchises will remain exclusive. They will come to PC one year later minimum. Only games going multiplatform would be gaas games as Sony can make a fortune from MTX etc.
No chance Sony exclusives come to Xbox or Nintendo.
This has nothing to do with exclusives. Exclusives are a fraction of the total PSN sales which are mostly third party sales, microtransactions and PS+ subs.

Sony are a hardware manufacturer and their business is running an eco system on consoles. They publish a total of 2-3 games a year on a good year. At best they sell maybe $1 billion copies of first party games. Last year, they sold 1 milion copies of Ratchet, 1.2 million of Demon Souls and 500k copies of returnal. Thats 3 million units of their biggest games. $210 million in revenue. Lets say everything else from TLOU2, Ghost, Miles second year sales were 4x that. You are still looking at 1 billion out of $14 billion in PSN revenue. And thats digital. Their retail sales are still somewhere around 40-50%. So 1 billion out of $25 billion. It's nothing.

They need as many people in their eco system as possible and giving people a reason to skip it is counterproductive.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This is about all digital sales on Playstation isn't it? Not PSN the service. Maybe that's included but it's a fraction of what "PSN" (including PS store) generates.

John Wick

This has nothing to do with exclusives. Exclusives are a fraction of the total PSN sales which are mostly third party sales, microtransactions and PS+ subs.

Sony are a hardware manufacturer and their business is running an eco system on consoles. They publish a total of 2-3 games a year on a good year. At best they sell maybe $1 billion copies of first party games. Last year, they sold 1 milion copies of Ratchet, 1.2 million of Demon Souls and 500k copies of returnal. Thats 3 million units of their biggest games. $210 million in revenue. Lets say everything else from TLOU2, Ghost, Miles second year sales were 4x that. You are still looking at 1 billion out of $14 billion in PSN revenue. And thats digital. Their retail sales are still somewhere around 40-50%. So 1 billion out of $25 billion. It's nothing.

They need as many people in their eco system as possible and giving people a reason to skip it is counterproductive.
So what's changing? Not much. Releasing games on PC is just free money on the table at a later date. They have bought one PC port studio. Shows the ambition they have in PC. If they were serious about developing PC games day and date with PS then they would change their dev environment to suite that thinking which they haven't.
Where is the proof that Sony are releasing games on Xbox or Nintendo bar the MLB Show game?
Gaas games to be multiplatform is a winner for Sony as they will make a fortune on the MTX.
PS is important for Sony and I don't see that changing. Also Sony will improve their PS+ as time goes. I can see it growing bigger and faster than gamepass.

N30RYU

"I don't know" should be an answer in the poll simply 'cause I don't know what to answer... I got 95% of all the "extra" games aside from remasters of patapon, locoroco and the medievil's remake... if anything paying more than the essential kinda pushes me to not buy first party games day one anymore...

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
"I don't know" should be an answer in the poll simply 'cause I don't know what to answer... I got 95% of all the "extra" games aside from remasters of patapon, locoroco and the medievil's remake... if anything paying more than the essential kinda pushes me to not buy first party games day one anymore...

Added "Not sure yet" for you :) To me as well I have most of the games on Extra, but one or two would be enough as you gonna pay the same extra for those. Like upgrading from Essential to Extra is like $30/year.

kyliethicc

This is about all digital sales on Playstation isn't it? Not PSN the service. Maybe that's included but it's a fraction of what "PSN" (including PS store) generates.
Yeah SIE’s sales revenue via PSN is over 14 billion, not just from PS Plus.

67% of their revenue (FY21) is from PSN.
- 31% is add-on content (MTX + DLC)
- 21% is digital games
- 15% is sub services

Microtransactions & DLC raked in over 6.6 billion USD last year.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah SIE’s sales revenue via PSN is over 14 billion, not just from PS Plus.

67% of their revenue (FY21) is from PSN.
- 31% is add-on content (MTX + DLC)
- 21% is digital games
- 15% is sub services

Microtransactions & DLC raked in over 6.6 billion USD last year.
And to think. It all started with fucking horse armor.

I remember a time when developers gave map packs and such away for free as a thank you to fans. I also remember CliffyB saying they tried to do that with the first Gears and MS scolded them and refused to do so, since Epic had a long history of free map packs and such from the UT days.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

And to think. It all started with fucking horse armor.

I remember a time when developers game map packs and such away for free as a thank you to fans. I also remember CliffyB saying they tried to do that with the first Gears and MS scolded them and refused to do so. Since Epic had a long history of free map packs and such from the UT days.
Crazy how it’s their biggest single source of revenue. Skins, in game currency, DLC, etc.

It’s why Jimbo wants those 10 service games out ASAP.

And the same thing happened with Left 4 Dead. MS made them charge for DLC, and now here we are.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/60365/microsoft-forces-valve-to-price

N30RYU

Added "Not sure yet" for you :) To me as well I have most of the games on Extra, but one or two would be enough as you gonna pay the same extra for those. Like upgrading from Essential to Extra is like $30/year.
yeah is just $30 a year... but then you'll keep buying frist party game at launch given that down the line they will be added to Extra?

Any other sub other than the Essential will just dissencourage ppl to buy first party games at launch and this will result the same as if you add them at launch like MS does with gamepass

Banjo64

cumsessed
yeah is just $30 a year... but then you'll keep buying frist party game at launch given that down the line they will be added to Extra?

Any other sub other than the Essential will just dissencourage ppl to buy first party games at launch and this will result the same as if you add them at launch like MS does with gamepass
I’m happy to buy games like Horizon, God of War, ND’s next game and any Insomniac game at RRP.

Other stuff like Returnal and Sackboy I’m happy to wait until it’s on this service because £60 a pop is a little steep for my taste.

Mahavastu

I have PS+ stacked for another 2.5 years, so Essential it is for now. I still have enough games I really want to play in my backlog, so I do not really NEED more.
BUT some of the games in the Extra package sound interesting so I guess if Sony makes me an good offer I can not refuse the upgrade to Extra :pie_eyeroll:
At the moment I do not really see anything which will make me update to premium, but Sony is always surprising with its ways to make me spend more...

S0ULZB0URNE

As stated before...

I only care about online play.
I don't support digital game rental services.
Whatever plan gives me just online play I will subscribe to.
I got over two years of Plus locked in.

With the recent news they've brought out, if any of the retro games get online multiplayer as well then I'm most likely going for the PS+ Premium tier. I just hope I can get a PS5 in the summer at MSRP, non-bundle (they have the HFW bundle coming but that doesn't do much for me as I already have the game...maybe I can just resell the game on eBay?), without jumping through a bunch of dumb hoops.

Otherwise I'll probably stick with PS+ Essentials and upgrade to Premium once I pick up a PS5. You can upgrade anytime from one tier to another, right?

You really thought this was clever.

That is literally the modus operandi for every corporation selling services, to increase sub. Netflix, Spotify, Disney+, PS+, Game pass, etc are all looking to increase sub.
No he thought he was being clever, did you even read his comment?

Tripolygon

Banned
No he thought he was being clever, did you even read his comment?
His comment was a sarcastic dig at people who are calling for Jim Ryan to be fired because they don't like some of his decisions or the trajectory the company is moving towards while the company is making record revenue and profit under his tutelage. It was sarcasm and you even noted it was so.

Last edited:
His comment was a sarcastic dig at people who are calling for Jim Ryan to be fired because they don't like some of his decisions or the trajectory the company is moving towards while the company is making record revenue and profit under his tutelage. It was sarcasm and you even noted it was so.
Obviously, he was taking a snipe at others so he was fair game to be called out on it, wouldn't you agree?

Essential is perfectly fine with me, ill take my Online and free games.

I dont play older games like most in here. Ive already played them no need to go back.

I had PS Now for 1 yr. To many games at my disposal i ended up playing nothing it was overwhelming.

Top Bottom