• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Monthly Games for February: Evil Dead: The Game, OlliOlliWorld, Destiny 2: Beyond Light, Mafia: Definitive Edition

Draugoth

Gold Member
8ce00197a6c5a9303eec5d3f3b13298283f70ff2.jpg

Today we’re happy to reveal the PlayStation Plus Monthly Games for February. Take on demonic Deadites in asymmetrical multiplayer Evil Dead: The Game, grind and trick your way through the vibrant world of Radlandia in OlliOlliWorld and live the life of a Prohibition-era gangster with Mafia: The Definitive Edition. In addition to these titles, Destiny 2: Beyond Light joins the lineup as a bonus game this month.

All four titles will be available to PlayStation Plus Essential, Extra and Premium members from Tuesday, February 7 until Monday March 6. The PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium lineups for February will be announced soon.

Let’s take a closer look at the Monthly Games.

e33b90ebfdde689fe9a0d63ead54337b3da6fa75-scaled.jpg
View and download image

Evil Dead: The Game | PS4, PS5

Step into the shoes of Ash Williams or his friends from the iconic Evil Dead franchise and work together in a game loaded with over-the-top co-op and PvP multiplayer action. Play as a team of four survivors, exploring, looting, managing your fear, and finding key items to seal the breach between worlds in a game inspired by all three original Evil Dead films as well as the Ash vs Evil Dead television series. Fight for the forces of good or take control of the Kandarian Demon to hunt Ash & others while possessing Deadites, the environmental objects & more as you seek to swallow their souls!

fbdf7e39acbb106ea65930c29b894de17c023ea4-scaled.jpg
View and download image

OlliOlliWorld | PS4, PS5

Grind, trick and air your way to discover the mystical skate gods on your quest for Gnarvana in this bold skateboarding action-platformer that’s bursting with personality. Traverse a delightful and weird world as you take on missions, challenges and make new friends along the way. Experience the accessibility, depth and player freedom as you dive into the signature flow state gameplay. OlliOlli World marks the third entry in the critically-acclaimed OlliOlli series from Roll7, the BAFTA and multi-award-winning independent studio.

e427387cf1060260931e67984c053d45339258cf.jpg
View and download image

Destiny 2: Beyond Light | PS4, PS5

Embark on a new journey through the incredible sci-fi fantasy universe of Destiny 2 with this expansion* to the multiplayer action shooter. Guardians will explore Europa, master the new elemental power of Stasis and collect powerful Exotic gear as they battle the Fallen Kell of Darkness, Eramis.

b450cfd693cd849efa782fcd22912fddef1a6644.jpg
View and download image

Mafia: The Definitive Edition | PS4

Explore a recreated 1930’s cityscape, filled with interwar architecture, cars and culture… and a crime-riddled underbelly in this full remake of the 2002 original. Rise up through the ranks of the Mafia during the Prohibition era of organized crime. After a run-in with the mob, cab driver Tommy Angelo is thrust into a deadly underworld. Initially uneasy about falling in with the Salieri crime family, Tommy soon finds that the rewards are too big to ignore.

NickFire

Weird they didn't use the most recent Destiny expansion to me. I suppose they might be hoping to get people to buy that in the time between this and next expansion. But I suspect they could have gotten more lapsed players back with the most recent expansion than new ones altogether.

Regardless, Evil Dead is a huge win for me.

splattered

So let me get this straight... Sony is giving PS Plus members D2 Beyond Light? Yet they are complaining that Microsoft would do the same with Call of Duty? Uhhhh huh. Don't really care either way as i have both GPU and PS Plus Premium but still interesting.

JaksGhost

So let me get this straight... Sony is giving PS Plus members D2 Beyond Light? Yet they are complaining that Microsoft would do the same with Call of Duty? Uhhhh huh. Don't really care either way as i have both GPU and PS Plus Premium but still interesting.
The base game is already F2P, this is just an expansion.

splattered

The base game is already F2P, this is just an expansion.

Doesnt matter, they've been complaining that MS could offer COD base/DLC/GPU perks etc for the franchise, and here they are doing the same thing with Destiny. Highly hypocritical imo. Like i said, i have GPU/PSPPrem AND destiny 2 Beyond Light already preordered so doesn't affect me at all one way or the other. Just funny.

NickFire

Doesnt matter, they've been complaining that MS could offer COD base/DLC/GPU perks etc for the franchise, and here they are doing the same thing with Destiny. Highly hypocritical imo. Like i said, i have GPU/PSPPrem AND destiny 2 Beyond Light already preordered so doesn't affect me at all one way or the other. Just funny.
No that is not what people are complaining about. They are objecting to denial of access (foreclosure) or getting watered down versions.

Beyond light came out like 2.4 years ago. You do not have it pre-ordered any longer.

splattered

My bad haha Lightfall i mean :) Been playing the Destiny franchise since the first launched but i'm losing track of all the expansions i've been buying through the years.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Maybe I'll play Olli and Mafia. Or maybe I won't.

How is mafia ? especially for those sick to the death about the Ubi/Sony open world formula ?

I haven't played this version, but if it's like the original there's pretty much zero open world bloat, it's a linear story that just happens to be set in an open world.

ZehDon

Gold Member
How is mafia ? especially for those sick to the death about the Ubi/Sony open world formula ?
Mafia is a very different beast, and I'd hesitate to call it an open world game at all. It's a linear story game where the missions take place in the city that's been created, but this isn't GTA. You don't just run around between missions because there largely isn't "between missions". I think stuff opens up after you finish the story mode, but I was happy enough with the game when it ended that I didn't really play around with any of it.

sainraja

Not too long ago, Microsoft was also giving away D2 Beyond Light, so Microsoft can do that with COD right now, even without acquiring the IP via A&B. They did it with Beyond Light. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Neolombax

Nothing of interest here, except maybe Evil Dead. Also, wasn't Mafia already part of Essential or Premium previously? I have a distinct memory of playing it for free before. Are they just cycling content now?

Agent X

Also, wasn't Mafia already part of Essential or Premium previously? I have a distinct memory of playing it for free before. Are they just cycling content now?

It was available on PlayStation Now about a year ago, then was pulled off after 3 months. They've had various Mafia games on PS Now or PS Plus over the last few years, but I'm sure they never had Mafia DE on PS Plus Essential (or the original "plain" PS Plus).

In any case, I don't mind so much if they put this game on PS Plus Essential. Not everyone with PS Plus has Extra or Premium (or had the old PS Now), so to those users, this is their first crack at playing it for "free". I bet a lot of them are grateful to have this opportunity.

Osthyvel

Is evil dead coop only?
Its not coop, its an asymmetrical multiplayer, like F13 or Predator. And now recently they added a Splatter Royale mode, 40 players, like Fortnite (not really but you get the point) and its nice.

The real game is the multiplayer though, its awsome, i love it.

And there are some singleplayer missions to, they are fun but pain in the a** hard...

I really hope there will be a bump in playerbase now, i hope it comes to Gamepass to.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

I'm sure this will be the month Sony adds numerous actual classic titles(not BS PS3 streaming games that were previously on Now) to the Premium service. I keep saying this every month.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Its not coop, its an asymmetrical multiplayer, like F13 or Predator. And now recently they added a Splatter Royale mode, 40 players, like Fortnite (not really but you get the point) and its nice.

The real game is the multiplayer though, its awsome, i love it.

And there are some singleplayer missions to, they are fun but pain in the a** hard...

I really hope there will be a bump in playerbase now, i hope it comes to Gamepass to.
Thanks. I like the sound of the royale mode

Played Mafia 1 & 2 a while ago when they were on Premium, before they got pulled from that tier and now I can't "buy" 1 via Essential (or 2 regularly) because I already "own" expired licenses. How dumb is that?

Other than that good offer. I like those fake just background open words much more than distracting busy work as also in Mafia 3 eg.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Played the Evil Dead game last night.

It's....okay. I'm just not big on asymmetrical games and the gameplay loop gets old really fast.

It does have some cool kill finishers and elements to the combat, but the camera FoV is pretty bad.

Feels much higher quality than most other asymmetrical games I've played though, so I'll give it that.

HAYA8U5A

So can we expect the Extra/Premium content around today or just next week?

Announced tomorrow and released next week I would assume. Other than Syphon Filter Dark Mirror showing up on trophy sites there has surprisingly not been leaks which makes me think Sony are being more protective of the list this month. Wonder if they are trying to keep a VR2 title being included secret since if they are announced tomorrow then that is the same day the VR2 embargo lifts and then they would release next week just in time for the VR2 release.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Do as I say, not as I do.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Do as I say, not as I do.

This isn't the first shot fired in a new war. The real "smoke" is how MS are treating Zenimax where after they fulfil pre-exsisting contractual obligations they actively withhold titles to benefit themselves and hurt Playstation. Making it plainly obvious that they are likely to pull the same trick with ABK.

Obviously Sony were/are going to retaliate. Any company placed in that situation would do the same.

splattered

This isn't the first shot fired in a new war. The real "smoke" is how MS are treating Zenimax where after they fulfil pre-exsisting contractual obligations they actively withhold titles to benefit themselves and hurt Playstation. Making it plainly obvious that they are likely to pull the same trick with ABK.

Obviously Sony were/are going to retaliate. Any company placed in that situation would do the same.

Both companies are likely on the same path respectively irregardless of this current "war" you speak of. If bungie's next game became 100% PS exclusive or 1 year timed or whatever similar to MS and bethesda titles it wouldn't shock me. Sony will most likely continue to pick up devs and make their content exclusive. This has nothing to do with the ABK acquisition, it's been happening for decades now from both sides.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Both companies are likely on the same path respectively irregardless of this current "war" you speak of. If bungie's next game became 100% PS exclusive or 1 year timed or whatever similar to MS and bethesda titles it wouldn't shock me. Sony will most likely continue to pick up devs and make their content exclusive. This has nothing to do with the ABK acquisition, it's been happening for decades now from both sides.

MS escalated things with their acquisition spree, of which the ABK merger was intended as the coup de grace.

Top Bottom