• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 3: Getting The Knack Of These Games

Ted

Talking of retail trash, I'm quite enjoying Lords of the Fallen (Sep 2016).

It's a little rough around the edges technically (including a couple of ungraceful crashes), the environments are fairly one note and the combat doesn't quite have a souls-esque depth but beyond the awful acting it's not too bad at all.

Played through first time as a warrior (only one, well sort of) boss to go and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go through one more time as a rogue.

Ludens

Banned
Bah, completed LBP3 story mode, it's so short, 4 hours at max. The game passes to be dumb easy to be hard in the end just because there are so many little bugs and devs decided, if you spend all lives, to make you restart from the beginning.

Slightly off-topic, if I get two 60$ PSN wallet fillers from amazon and buy a yearly PS plus subscription and Horizon, will I get 15 dollars back?

LevelNth

Banned
Just a clarification, the games that are free with PS Plus I can no longer access if my subscription runs out, however the games I buy that have an added PS Plus discount always remain accessible, subscription or not correct?

down 2 orth

It's a little rough around the edges technically (including a couple of ungraceful crashes), the environments are fairly one note and the combat doesn't quite have a souls-esque depth but beyond the awful acting it's not too bad at all.

Played through first time as a warrior (only one, well sort of) boss to go and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go through one more time as a rogue.

Lords of the Fallen was a surprise Plus hit for me too.

xrnzaaas

They're going to offer Tearaway? Sweet (for those who didn't play it ;)), I really enjoyed the game even if some of the levels were more frustrating then they should have been.

VUlM4Rk.jpg

Seems legit.

Jacknapes

If the leak is true, then Tearaway Unfolded is a great game. I loved it, spent many good hours playing through the adventure. Some levels were a little annoying, but overall a great experience.

carlos

I'm getting a banner on the store saying that PS plus is giving 3 extra months if you sub for a year, in case anyone is interested

illusionary

Shovel Knight is not the sort of game you wait to be given on ps plus

Shovel Knight is the sort of game you buy

Absolutely this - I own it three times over now (Wii U digital, PS4 physical and PC physical/Steam)!

Also, with the upcoming revision to the pricing structure, to me it feels unlikely as a PS+ game any time soon.

mclem

Shovel Knight is not the sort of game you wait to be given on ps plus

Shovel Knight is the sort of game you buy

It strikes me that after the changeover to Treasure Trove, I could see one of the campaigns being released as a Plus title.

I wonder if the standalone campaigns will have internal advertising for the other campaigns/the Trove.

Benedict

Really good month. Have been interested in Disc Jam.
Wanted to try Tearaway on PS4, but bought it and finished it on vita so it was not something I was buying unless real cheap.
Lumo is a game I been close to buying several times.
Severed is nice but I bought it for Ipad this christmas during a sale.

Celegus

Tearaway, awesome! Haven't really played anything on PS+ in a while. Tried a couple things here and there but nothing stuck, so hopefully that'll be good.

Omerta

I hope they do drop PS3 and start supporting vr

I cancelled my automatic nenewal the other day because I'm not seeing the value in ps plus anymore... I got the most value out of it when I had a PS3 and a Vita but I've sold my Vita and play exclusively on PS4.

I'm not having a crack at the service per se, for *me* there's no value in it anymore. If they started offering a psvr title regularly, I'd jump back in again.

Joni

I cancelled my automatic nenewal the other day because I'm not seeing the value in ps plus anymore... I got the most value out of it when I had a PS3 and a Vita but I've sold my Vita and play exclusively on PS4.

I'm not having a crack at the service per se, for *me* there's no value in it anymore. If they started offering a psvr title regularly, I'd jump back in again.

Less than a million PlayStation VR have been sold. A lot of people would lose value.

Omerta

Less than a million PlayStation VR have been sold. A lot of people would lose value.

No doubt... I'm talking from a selfish place. It probably doesn't cost Sony an awful lot of money to support the PS3 on ps plus to be fair... a lot of titles are cross play anyway.

If they really want people to start looking at psvr as a viable option, they absolutely should start throwing games onto ps plus.

I remember having a pretty substatial Vita library before my Vita arrived because I banked every game.

Makes the money you're going to drop on a space-hat much more easy to swallow.

PS Plus is an online play service, the games are a secondary feature and not the main appetite. Sony could just remove the games entirely and wouldn't suffer a big subscriber drop.

If you don't play online, you shouldn't have Plus.

Ludens

Banned
PS Plus is an online play service, the games are a secondary feature and not the main appetite. Sony could just remove the games entirely and wouldn't suffer a big subscriber drop.

If you don't play online, you shouldn't have Plus.

This is not true at all, since Plus was created to provide free games and the online barrier was only added later on PS4.

NHale

This is not true at all, since Plus was created to provide free games and the online barrier was only added later on PS4.

Plus was created to make money. The free games were not the ultimate goal but the trojan horse so they could put multiplayer behind the paywall afterwards when people were basically tied to PS+ because they would lose all games they were "gaining" if they stop the subscription, which led to the mostly indifferent reaction when they announced multiplayer would be paid on PS4.

That reaction was due to the fact that most people thought PS+ was good value, so they had no reason to stop the subscription, which controlled the anger reaction they would have if PS+ was a new service for PS4. Basically they created goodwill for a couple of years via free PS3+PSV games so they could finally charge for PS4 multiplayer.

Ludens

Banned
Plus was created to make money. The free games were not the ultimate goal but the trojan horse so they could put multiplayer behind the paywall afterwards when people were basically tied to PS+ because they would lose all games they were "gaining" if they stop the subscription, which led to the mostly indifferent reaction when they announced multiplayer would be paid on PS4.

That reaction was due to the fact that most people thought PS+ was good value, so they had no reason to stop the subscription, which controlled the anger reaction they would have if PS+ was a new service for PS4. Basically they created goodwill for a couple of years via free PS3+PSV games so they could finally charge for PS4 multiplayer.

Well, maybe it's true, and every service is created to make money, but the fact is, when it was launched, PSPlus was a way to get some games every month. Years later the multiplayer was locked behind Plus (PS4 only), but the fact remains: it was a service to bring games each month on PS3 for 50€ each year.

Binabik15

I'm still salty that a PSN error didn't let me log in and re-subscribe that month. I wanted LotF.

Omerta

Couple of point: I disagree that if you don't play online, you shouldn't have ps plus... I've never played online and I've got years of excellent value out of the service.

Also, *of course* ps plus was started to make money. I'm sure Sony will change the nature of the service as the market changes over the years... the only question for people to ask is "does this make sense for me right now".

For me, it doesn't anymore.

Ted

I'm still salty that a PSN error didn't let me log in and re-subscribe that month. I wanted LotF.

I wouldn't let it bug you too much and I'm not sure I could recommend it in a whole-hearted enough way to say go out and buy a copy but if you find it cheap and physical, no harm giving it a shot.

Lords of the Fallen was a surprise Plus hit for me too.

I'd never even really heard of it before it was on plus apart from seeing occasional mentions here that it was a garbage rip off of the "Souls" formula.

I've now finished the game with a Warrior character and am nearly done with both and cleric and rogue and whilst the game is far from perfect it isn't bad game, certainly not a garbage game, outside of the occasionally super annoying crashes.

There is a little bit of bullshit in there in terms of "fairness" but overall not a huge amount more than the only Souls game I have played (Demon's Souls).

I've had the most fun with the rogue class, rocking a staff, with just a little magic on top.

The class system itself seems fairly well balanced though I wish I could pick and choose between each individual spells rather than be locked into a set (whether tied to class or not). Ideally I'd like to run my rogue but with the rogue version of the prayer spell (energy regain) swapped out for the warrior version (health regain) whilst still retaining the stab spell. Might be too over powered though as this would give me the ability to largely ignore checkpoints (hence keeping my multiplier active), keep my health topped between fights if I am patience enough whilst saving my health potions for mid battle.

Not sure what I'm going to play next but think it might be This War of Mine if I can handle it emotionally!

Celegus

Apparently I should quit playing games forever, couldn't figure out what to do 5 minutes into Tearaway (a scrap was jumping at two people on top of a pillar). Disc jam is pretty fun, but man I hate the visuals and style and music.

LakeEarth

Apparently I should quit playing games forever, couldn't figure out what to do 5 minutes into Tearaway (a scrap was jumping at two people on top of a pillar). Disc jam is pretty fun, but man I hate the visuals and style and music.

When in doubt, shine a light at every inch of the screen. Something will happen. IIRC that pillar collapses if you shine a light at the base.

Looks like there's a current PS+ deal. Pay normal price and get an extra 3 months + 3 months of Showtime.

Not quite as good as some of the expired slickdeals, but not bad.

Top Bottom