• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Portal has sold out two days after launch | Listings with inflated prices have started to appear online

It would be amazing if Sony made the memes that laugh at the appearance of the PS5 comparing it to a Wi-Fi router a reality and made the PS5 or PS6 have its own built-in Wi-Fi signal so you can play anywhere in the house and anywhere device with screen without lag by connecting your devices directly to your console wirelessly, they could also revolutionize local multiplayer by allowing 2 or more people to play the same game on the same console but on different screens.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
I don't understand people who think it's vastly overpriced.

A dualsense costs $70. An edge costs $200. The pulse headphones cost $200.
A backbone controller (with no screen or processing) is $100.

$150 would be the perfect sweet spot, but $200 is fine.

Agreed and with it being a soft launch followed by stock sparsity and scalping the road to iron out the experience problems for the non-enthusiast gamer is probably going to be at least 9-12months, giving the device a chance to be good at direct-to-ps5, LAN and WAN roaming to PS5 and LAN and WAN roaming to Cloud service, when it comes.

If the Portal's turn-key experience for direct-play and async use reaches wiiu tablet experience, I expect we will see the device as a pack-in with the PS5 super slim at the end of the gen, with a view to make it a default PS6 pad at the start of next-gen.

Why would they ever want to make it a pack in? They've seen how bad the WiiU and Xbone did by packing in additional hardware which drove up the cost (or drove down the specs)
The whole point of slim consoles is to generate more profit though reduced manufacturing costs.

Making it an optional accessory is a way better, because it's all extra profit for little work.

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me why so many people [on YouTube] discuss their internet speeds when talking about/reviewing the deck? Are there really that many people out there who think that the Portal uses your internet connection when streaming inside your house on your home network? I'm so confused listening to these people.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the remote play stream doesn't go out to internet before hitting the Portal.

PaintTinJr

I don't understand people who think it's vastly overpriced.

A dualsense costs $70. An edge costs $200. The pulse headphones cost $200.
A backbone controller (with no screen or processing) is $100.

$150 would be the perfect sweet spot, but $200 is fine.

Why would they ever want to make it a pack in? They've seen how bad the WiiU and Xbone did by packing in additional hardware which drove up the cost (or drove down the specs)
The whole point of slim consoles is to generate more profit though reduced manufacturing costs.

Making it an optional accessory is a way better, because it's all extra profit for little work.
For all those kids - as console gamers of the future - that have used a phone/tablet before picking up a control pad, a touchscreen (capacitive) interface isn't an optional item as it provides fast dynamic interfaces to the user that are more immediate, tangible, and self explanatory, than the convoluted menus need for resource management in even critically acclaimed games like Death Stranding.

The WiiU's commercial failure isn't matched by its popularity with those that bought IMO, and even when controller improvements fail in one context - like the WiiU being console being weak with lack of third party current gen support, and poorly named -doesn't make those improvements any less of an evolution. Since the Nes and PS1, Nintendo and Sony respectively have continued to enhance controllers generation on generation to differentiate what can be achieved each gen as another reason to buy-in to the new generation.

As an electronics manufacturer Sony are ideally placed and massively benefit from making the portal a cheap pack-in, and is even more advantageous because Xbox couldn't do it, short of selling their console at twice the - $200 - loss per unit they've already managed for 20years, they'd have to cripple their console offer in comparison, or not pack-in the device. So Sony have everything to gain from a PS6 with a portal pad by default IMO.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
As an electronics manufacturer Sony are ideally placed and massively benefit from making the portal a cheap pack-in, and is even more advantageous because Xbox couldn't do it, short of selling their console at twice the - $200 - loss per unit they've already managed for 20years, they'd have to cripple their console offer in comparison, or not pack-in the device. So Sony have everything to gain from a PS6 with a portal pad by default IMO.

Joke post?
If Sony can pull it off, there’s no reason why a similar device from any other console maker wouldn’t be in the same cost bracket. All parties have the design know-how and have access to largely the same hardware discounts.

PaintTinJr

Joke post?
If Sony can pull it off, there’s no reason why a similar device from any other console maker wouldn’t be in the same cost bracket. All parties have the design know-how and have access to largely the same hardware discounts.
Joke post?
They have stated in court (Apple Vs Epic) they lose $100-200 on all their consoles and expect to through a gen, and have done since the beginning of the OG Xbox. They couldn't afford a new featured pad for this generation, and while a PS5 has been making profit after the first year or so, the Series S with less than half the performance, less memory and no disc drive, half the storage, which is cacheless, and no lithium-ion pad battery is losing money, and you think they can compete with someone that can buy Portal parts like the LCD screen at cost from themselves? Did you not see the collective markup Apple has to put on all the Sony parts they are set to use in their AR VR headset?

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Decided to return mine, after receiving my oled steam deck and getting chaiki to run even better than the portal, it just makes sense. I still really like the product do to its large screen and the amazing dualsense attached, I hope sony does some work here:

Improvements wanted:
- run the cloud games
- Maybe find a better bit rate to reduce smearing (not sure if this is the panel or compression)
- include a power adapter
- switch to an oled screen (I'm ok if it's $50 more)
- allow for Bluetooth headphones
- maybe let it play some apps

Last edited:
I just played mine for hours from over 600 miles away from my ps5. Playing FFVIIR the entire time. Only had minor hiccups, like a 1 second stutter every 10-20min about. I turned it off to take a break, figured the battery had to be about dead and it was actually at 29%. I’m loving the flexibility this thing adds.

Ansphn

Decided to return mine, after receiving my oled steam deck and getting chaiki to run even better than the portal, it just makes sense. I still really like the product do to its large screen and the amazing dualsense attached, I hope sony does some work here:

Improvements wanted:
- run the cloud games
- Maybe find a better bit rate to reduce smearing (not sure if this is the panel or compression)
- include a power adapter
- switch to an oled screen (I'm ok if it's $50 more)
- allow for Bluetooth headphones
- maybe let it play some apps
I really dont see why you would need a PlayStation Portal if you have the money to afford an Oled Steam Deck. The Portal is for people with a PS5 who can shell out $200 for a portable experience but cant afford or unwilling to get spend that much money on a Portable device.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
I didn’t expect that this thing will sell that much and people will like it.
It looks like some people like it and benefit from it, means, Sony did some research for it before deciding manufacturing.

I really never expected that it will sell.

Zathalus

Joke post?
They have stated in court (Apple Vs Epic) they lose $100-200 on all their consoles and expect to through a gen, and have done since the beginning of the OG Xbox. They couldn't afford a new featured pad for this generation, and while a PS5 has been making profit after the first year or so, the Series S with less than half the performance, less memory and no disc drive, half the storage, which is cacheless, and no lithium-ion pad battery is losing money, and you think they can compete with someone that can buy Portal parts like the LCD screen at cost from themselves? Did you not see the collective markup Apple has to put on all the Sony parts they are set to use in their AR VR headset?
$100-200 loss is almost certainly not referring to the BOM for a Series console. That number was obviously derived from including various other cost factors (such as R&D) in order to not draw the attention of any potential ruling on offering alternative stores in a closed ecosystem. If the courts ruled that Microsoft (and Sony/Nintendo) need to allow alternative storefronts in the console that would be devastating. Microsoft was trying thier damn best to prove they only make profit from the software side of things and hardware is sold at a lost.

At best it might have been true at the start of the console lifecycle (especially with COVID and TSMC shortages) but with hardware prices dropping off a cliff that is simply not true now.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

$100-200 loss is almost certainly not referring to the BOM for a Series console. That number was obviously derived from including various other cost factors (such as R&D) in order to not draw the attention of any potential ruling on offering alternative stores in a closed ecosystem. If the courts ruled that Microsoft (and Sony/Nintendo) need to allow alternative storefronts in the console that would be devastating. Microsoft was trying thier damn best to prove they only make profit from the software side of things and hardware is sold at a lost.

At best it might have been true at the start of the console lifecycle (especially with COVID and TSMC shortages) but with hardware prices dropping off a cliff that is simply not true now.
No that wasn't the context IIRC, and believe they even drew reference to their rival Sony that make a profit and are much better at hardware than they are. So by that context the loss is real and adding a Portal as a pack-in for Xbox (that couldn't fund a dualsense level controller for Series) is a big further loss.

Let's put it in classic context when Xbox used to provide sales figures for consoles, turning a profit on the console and telling shareholders - like PlayStation does - has benefits to shareholder confidence in that division. AFAIK Microsoft have never been able to tell shareholders that Xbox hardware sells at a profit, so the absence of information feels like even further proof of their court statements IMO.

THE DUCK

I really dont see why you would need a PlayStation Portal if you have the money to afford an Oled Steam Deck. The Portal is for people with a PS5 who can shell out $200 for a portable experience but cant afford or unwilling to get spend that much money on a Portable device.

Well first I would contend that nobody "needs" a playstation portal, but I get what you are saying particulary for me. At the start, I wasn't sure I could get the same or better from steam deck oled.

That said, I think some people even with a steam deck might want one for the controls alone, and or if the devices might be shared amount mutiple family members for different reasons. (Timmy playing a pc game while Jimmy wants to play ps5)
It's also much, much more plug and play than a steam deck, that alone might sway some others

Rudius

Despite having top quality controls 200 seems a bit expensive given the limitations it has. 149 would be perfect, or 199 with OLED.

Ansphn

Well first I would contend that nobody "needs" a playstation portal, but I get what you are saying particulary for me. At the start, I wasn't sure I could get the same or better from steam deck oled.

That said, I think some people even with a steam deck might want one for the controls alone, and or if the devices might be shared amount mutiple family members for different reasons. (Timmy playing a pc game while Jimmy wants to play ps5)
It's also much, much more plug and play than a steam deck, that alone might sway some others
Ill have to disagree with that first line. I always wanted and needed the Portal. I have used my phone connected to a Duel sense for a year + now and it was so inconvenient. I had to disconnect from Remote play to check my text, emails or pick up a call. Now i just have my phone right next to me and the Portal for the gaming in my bed. I actually enjoy spending an extra 2-3 hours almost every night gaming. And to top it off, its only $200 dollars. Super easy purchase decision.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Full haptics and a real controller.
Sold out of very low stocks. You guys are so easy to fool.
Doesn't matter. It's being resold at a 50+% markup. That's demand.
Can't argue with that, but for the price of a switch lite, a complete console, it seems high.
They have to make money and it's not a loss leader. Other than the pulse Explore there's nothing first party to buy with it.

I actually enjoy spending an extra 2-3 hours almost every night gaming. And to top it off, its only $200 dollars. Super easy purchase decision.
That's it right there. Also reaching for this instead of your phone. Play more games and less internet garbage.

AngelMuffin

Wow, can’t believe they sold out…meanwhile on FB Marketplace.
jVCsMdQ.jpg

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
Having just watched DF's review of this thing, seems the biggest critique is that it does exactly what it says on the box.

Latency? It's a streaming device. No emulation? It's a streaming device. Dependent on your home connection? It's a streaming device. No slot for your PS Vita carts? It's a streaming device.

If you grant that it's just a streaming device and subject to all the same caveats, it's easy to reach the conclusion that it's got nice controls, a decent screen and an okay battery life.

"B-but it doesn't emulate PS1 games!!"

Green Bay Packers Shut Up GIF by Martellus Bennett's Text Back Pack

FrankWza

Having just watched DF's review of this thing, seems the biggest critique is that it does exactly what it says on the box.

Latency? It's a streaming device. No emulation? It's a streaming device. Dependent on your home connection? It's a streaming device. No slot for your PS Vita carts? It's a streaming device.

If you grant that it's just a streaming device and subject to all the same caveats, it's easy to reach the conclusion that it's got nice controls, a decent screen and an okay battery life.

Green Bay Packers Shut Up GIF by Martellus Bennett's Text Back Pack's Text Back Pack
Dudes pulled out the Wii U tablet to compare because it uses secret sauce and not a roo-tuh.

tommib

Green Bay Packers Shut Up GIF by Martellus Bennett's Text Back Pack's Text Back Pack
I watched it and was rolling my eyes for 15 minutes.

Zathalus

It is a streaming device with quite a couple of draw backs.

- Why can we not change the bitrate of the streaming? If I have a fantastic signal, let me take advantage of it. Being limited to 15MBps sucks.
- Related to the above, WiFi 6. Can't change that now of course.
- Option for Bluetooth, it's a Snapdragon 680 chip, hardware support is there.
- Battery life is average at best.
- Not a failure of the hardware, but similar to the bitrate issue, remote play itself still has a few minor issues to sort out. The stutter issue it has is frustrating. Hopefully Sony dedicates more time to improve it both improving the stutter issues and allowing for higher bitrate streams.

I like it, but trying to brush off valid criticism doesn't do anyone any favours.

Last edited:

Three

A question for anybody that owns one. Can you turn off streaming and just use it as a controller? I'm half tempted to get one as a third controller instead of a regular Dualsense.

Gambit2483

A question for anybody that owns one. Can you turn off streaming and just use it as a controller? I'm half tempted to get one as a third controller instead of a regular Dualsense.
Why not just get a regular, $130 less, controller at that point?🤔

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
Dudes pulled out the Wii U tablet to compare because it uses secret sauce and not a roo-tuh.
They're rapidly entering 'old men yelling at clouds' territory.

"Hey, here's a brand-new, handheld streaming device for your PS5."
"Hmm... Does it play PSP games?"
"No, you can play stuff like Spider-Man 2 and Baldur's Gate 3 on it."
"It would be better if it played 15-year old games natively."

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Ill have to disagree with that first line. I always wanted and needed the Portal. I have used my phone connected to a Duel sense for a year + now and it was so inconvenient. I had to disconnect from Remote play to check my text, emails or pick up a call. Now i just have my phone right next to me and the Portal for the gaming in my bed. I actually enjoy spending an extra 2-3 hours almost every night gaming. And to top it off, its only $200 dollars. Super easy purchase decision.

No I get it, I just meant in terms of like vs food, shelter, etc, it's all just fun and games optional stuff. It makes sense for a lot of people and it's a very nice device.

FlyyGOD

After Christmas I wonder how many are going to get returned after parents find out you also need a ps5 to play it?

THE DUCK

If you're flushed with cash, yeasurewhynot 😅

No, it's to save money. The idea being you buy the portal for remote play primarily, but then it could play double duty as a third or fourth control in rare instances. (saving you the cost of that extra controller)

Gambit2483

No, it's to save money. The idea being you buy the portal for remote play primarily, but then it could play double duty as a third or fourth control in rare instances. (saving you the cost of that extra controller)
Ahh yes the $200 4th controller...a clear money saver for us gamers.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
It is a streaming device with quite a couple of draw backs.

- Why can we not change the bitrate of the streaming? If I have a fantastic signal, let me take advantage of it. Being limited to 15MBps sucks.
- Related to the above, WiFi 6. Can't change that now of course.
- Option for Bluetooth, it's a Snapdragon 680 chip, hardware support is there.
- Battery life is average at best.
- Not a failure of the hardware, but similar to the bitrate issue, remote play itself still has a few minor issues to sort out. The stutter issue it has is frustrating. Hopefully Sony dedicates more time to improve it both improving the stutter issues and allowing for higher bitrate streams.

I like it, but trying to brush off valid criticism doesn't do anyone any favours.
All the above is valid criticism - what DF put out was a list of general gripes about streaming followed by a shallow lament that it was a dedicated remote play device and not a next-generation handheld.

Gamerguy84

Your just not getting it. If your buying it to stream games already, it's zero dollars to use it as a 4th controller. (If it had that function)

You can use it as a controller. I wss playing SM2 on it and turned on my TV. I continued playing SM2 looking at the TV while using the portal. The screen doesn't turn off but when. I'm playing I don't look at my hands or the controller.

Also this thing is probably very bare bones to what it's going to be. Sony releases their hardware like that and add functionality.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You can use it as a controller. I wss playing SM2 on it and turned on my TV. I continued playing SM2 looking at the TV while using the portal. The screen doesn't turn off but when. I'm playing I don't look at my hands or the controller.

Also this thing is probably very bare bones to what it's going to be. Sony releases their hardware like that and add functionality.
Interesting....

Top Bottom