• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Portal |OT| From WC with Love

PaintTinJr

One question to my GAF geek network friends.

In Portal's case, should I have better wi-fi connection if I'm setting next to the router itself or next to the PS5 (mine it's wired)?

The norm is the closer you are to the router the better, but judging by the signal bars my Portal shows, I actually get a better connection while sitting next to the PS5.
Think of it like speakers and microphones in a room, with you(people in your place) and furniture/walls as partial audio occluders. 5Ghz is like tweeters and 2.4Ghz at the lowest B or G modes is like Bass audio.

In an ideal setup your router would be in the middle of a small to medium sized room, and with the PS5 north of the router and you sat with the Portal to the south of the router maximising direct signals of PS5 to router and router to Portal, and maximising reflected wall signals with minimal signal occlusion, but in real conditions router antenna orientation and room setup. You might be improving direct to router signal for the Portal while being a big occluder of direct or reflected wall signal for the PS5 to the router, and vice versa.

Nankatsu Nankatsu recommended one up a few posts. You can also try dualsense sticky pads and trim them to fit if necessary. Also need to consider it fitting in a travel case if you are using one for storage or carry too. I'm not a fan of the silicone ones that are floppy but there a bunch of options for those on Amazon as well as the tpu and clear, hard shell style. Amazon is the only bet right now for turnaround and stock because I don't believe any other retailers are carrying accessories
The black ones sold out and is for amazon spain I think. I’ll keep looking but didnt know if anyone else already had one

FrankWza

The black ones sold out and is for amazon spain I think. I’ll keep looking but didnt know if anyone else already had one
Yeah I preordered screen protector and a case before launch and they both sold out at one point with only the glass being restocked. I've been checking daily for a dock. You can probably get some accessories on ebay or overseas sites but you won't get prime shipping and returns if you have an issue. In the U. S. Best buy, gamestop and target have the portal but not a single accessory.

onQ123

Now with PS5 doing double duty as a server for PS Portal lol will there be a market for PS5 games made with Portal in mind?
EhABOJp.png

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Question.
The screen is LCD SDR right?

So does it turn of HDR on ps5 when playing or does it shittly converts HDR to SDR which always looks bad?

demigod

Had to cancel and order a faster shipping screen protector and it finally got here.

After downloading new chiaki and testing it with Tekken 7, the Portal is way better. Chiaki audio would cut out and at first the screen would slightly glitch every now and then. As I played longer, the whole part of the screen would glitch where I cannot see anything for a sec.

There is no glitching on the Portal, I did notice some slowdown but thats because the PS5 isn’t wired. Some audio static but no cut out like chiaki.

I’m going to try to experiment it more on the two.

Honestly I wish Sony would’ve made it thicker. It does not seem as durable as Steam Deck. It has so much room in the back for a bigger battery.

TrebleShot

Question.
The screen is LCD SDR right?

So does it turn of HDR on ps5 when playing or does it shittly converts HDR to SDR which always looks bad?
Its SDR 60hz non VRR, so its recommended atm to switch those off on your local console, but I cant say I've had many issues.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Its SDR 60hz non VRR, so its recommended atm to switch those off on your local console, but I cant say I've had many issues.
It should be turning those itself. Shame it doesn’t meaning most people will play hdr in sdr container so limited range

Last edited:

consoul

I'd be surprised if they don't address this in a firmware update. There'll be some QoL improvements coming.

N30RYU

I'm happy with my purchase even if I had to spend another 70€ in a PLC, 'cause my old PLC was a TP Link AV500 and didn't had Wifi5 and had disconections in the living room if ppl watched a streaming service on the TV.
Now works like a charm with an AV1000 with wifi5

Last edited:

FrankWza

Finally got the case and screen protection. PS Portal fully loaded.

JoMp1LJ.jpg

JoMp0Xa.jpg

JoMplzg.jpg

1134-blackfire-nylon-travel-case-funda-de-transporte-compatible-con-ps5-portal-remote-player.jpg

The case is really nice, I don't even need to remove my back cover protection that I have on the device.
Very nice. I'm having this issue now. A back protector I like and something that fits in a travel case. I search for a dock every day. Surprised Sony did not produce one for launch.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Very nice. I'm having this issue now. A back protector I like and something that fits in a travel case. I search for a dock every day. Surprised Sony did not produce one for launch.

Yeah, same. I expect them to launch a charging dock more down the road. I hate having to constantly use the cable 😂.

On a side note, on the case I got you can even store the cable there at least.

FrankWza

Yeah, same. I expect them to launch a charging dock more down the road. I hate having to constantly use the cable 😂.

On a side note, on the case I got you can even store the cable there at least.
I have a similar case but the outer cover is leatherette. Reminds of my Vita and PSP cases. I'm probably just going to stay with this case, glass SP and control freek pads on the handles instead of full grip. and I have some covers on the analog sticks. It's basically like my dualsense are all set up without the back buttons.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Let me help understand… Portal doesn’t support HDR right? Will it ever be in the future? Does it also means I have to manually every time switch the option from ps5 on or off depending on where I’m actually playing games on? It seems dumb as shit if it doesn’t detect it automatically and adapts to the screen of TV or Portal -_-

FrankWza

There's a new firmware update but no notes yet. 2 weeks after launch so not too bad. Ahead of Explore release. 2.0.1

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Is it just me, or did Sony improve connection with the newest fw update for Portal?

Could swear connection seems more stable, as well as clearer IQ (probably due to improved connection).

Because, well, stability.

Edit:

Nvm, I'm late.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Is it just me, or did Sony improve connection with the newest fw update for Portal?

Could swear connection seems more stable, as well as clearer IQ (probably due to improved connection).

Because, well, stability.

Edit:

Nvm, I'm late.
Seems to be the reports on people that had issues. Not bad for a first update.
Also looks like EU got some stock and it was available for a while before selling out again

Killjoy-NL

Seems to be the reports on people that had issues. Not bad for a first update.
Also looks like EU got some stock and it was available for a while before selling out again
Have to say, I really love the portal.

Good to see demand seems to be higher than a lot of people claimed. It's a nice device.

Last edited:

DrFigs

This is outrageous that it's still out of stock. how hard could it possibly be to slap on dualsense controllers to vaio tablets?

FrankWza

I can’t see anything in the UK atm.
Mr Bean Waiting GIF by Bombay Softwares

I’ve just completed the first dungeon/castle(?) in Persona 5, and the Portal would be perfect for this game.
I think it hasn't even launched in certain countries in Europe so I'd expect the same type of drops as the U. S. is getting. They have 2 new accessories releasing this week so maybe batches will be available Wednesday?

Markio128

I think it hasn't even launched in certain countries in Europe so I'd expect the same type of drops as the U. S. is getting. They have 2 new accessories releasing this week so maybe batches will be available Wednesday?
I’ll keep checking because I’d like one before Christmas, but then, I reckon I’m not alone.

FrankWza

If anyone is interested in adding thumb grips, handle grips or both and having any issues with fit in a travel case this looks like a real nice option. It is almost twice as thick as some of the other cases but it has room for an AC adapter and headphone case. Maybe even Explore case. The Amazon listing is $20 cheaper but the Spigen site has dimensions and info.

Gamerguy84

man :/ the first time i don't go on gaf at work and i miss it

There is an app that is almost effortless to setup that will alert you via your phone notifications the second they drop.

It's called Hotstock on play or Apple store. I got 2 PS5s a month after release this way.

Jesb

I’m gonna assume if remote play was crap for you on PS4 it’s going to be the same on PS5 and portal?

Xcloud streams flawlessly for me on my iPhone but PS4 constantly disconnects.

Gamerguy84

I’m gonna assume if remote play was crap for you on PS4 it’s going to be the same on PS5 and portal?

I dunno. Sometimes it's as simple as a router sitting right beside a brick fireplace and curtains. Often it's wifi interference or a matter of hardwiring the PS itself.

I've fixed 3 cases of shitty remote play for friends of mine.

demigod

Who here has gotten remote play setup away from home? I’m having issues and it won’t connect. Maybe I have to google this shit more. HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 any special settings you did?

Killjoy-NL

For what it's worth, I can play even MW3 (since some people claim Portal is useless for competitive multiplayer) and practically perform the same as on PS5 itself since the latest fw update for Portal.
Despite connection not being 100% stable, but that has more to do with my wifi.

Haven't had a single disconnect since day 1 and use Portal almost every day.
Very rarely does the connection freeze, but as I said, that's my wifi being shitty from time to time.

Last edited:

Three

Jimbo did us dirty in the UK.

I say we go up to north london to pay him a visit.

Probably a filty tottenham supporter aswell :messenger_pouting:
He's a Newcastle supporter apparently.
Who here has gotten remote play setup away from home? I’m having issues and it won’t connect. Maybe I have to google this shit more. HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 any special settings you did?
Does it say anything at all, does remote play work on your phone? Maybe it's your firewall blocking it. Where are you trying to connect from, your mobile provider?

Top Bottom