• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation rumoured to announce the return of an “extremely popular” franchise in Q4 2022

onQ123

71+dSZYAZ0L._SY445_.jpg

Massive franchise just seems really vague and misleading, because the reality is Sony hasn't really abandoned in "massive" franchises.

Sony PS1 era franchises with at least two games that sold over a million but have not received a new release in a generation
Syphon Filter
Twisted Metal
Arc the Lad
Coolboarders
Jet Moto

PS2 era
Jak and Daxter
SOCOM
ATV Offroad Fury

PS3 era
Motorstorm

*I ignored NFL GameDay due to obvious licensing limitations

Outside of Jak and Daxter and SOCOM nothing really makes that much sense, but the real answer is probably Twisted Metal.

Man the fact we have no news on anything after God of War releases is honestly amazing.
They really run a tight ship in there.

Not even talking about just 1st party games but also 3rd party deals and stuff.

Man the fact we have no news on anything after God of War releases is honestly amazing.
They really run a tight ship in there.

Not even talking about just 1st party games but also 3rd party deals and stuff.
The death of e3 has really killed a large part of the excitement behind gaming and announcements.

We're drip-fed things now and it honestly isn't nearly as enticing. I think State of Plays are easily the worst ways to show a game off. Can't remember the last State of Play that made me want to buy a game.

[Sigma]

If they didn't think it was important enough to hype it up at this point, then it isn't likely going to be shit. #Teamnofucksgiven

Sega Orphan

Banned
My sources at Sony Worldwide Studios has indeed confirmed to me personally that Sony is working on a as yet unannounced game. They will be announcing it sometime this year. Bookmark this and confirm my insider cred thanks Mods.

Banned
Sony, legit doesn't have an extremely popular franchise that isn't currently still releasing new titles... at least I couldn't name you one.
Jak might be the closest to such a game, but even that... does the general public really care about Jak? I wonder.

Most of their older IPs that haven't seen a new game in recent years are only actually still popular among the niche that now is the core gaming crowd. so extremely popular are none of them.

Syphon Filter for example is a franchise 99% of video game players today would shrug their shoulders to when asked about it. same to a lesser degree with Jak, Twisted Metal or Wipeout. Sly Raccoon was a flop the last time they released one even tho the game was pretty decent too, neither of the Sly Raccoon games sold more than maybe a million each at best even when it was "still popular"

so which IP is left then?
like, name a single multi million seller outside of Jak that would actually be viable in today's landscape? I can't name a single game. by the second game Syphon Filter sold ridiculously low numbers already for example

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Now that I think about, Playstation doesn't have that kind of franchise anymore. Could be extremely popular with the old heads, but kids these days ae not going to be hyped by something like twisted metal or syphon filter.... or Socom. They need to work on that consistency and relevancy of their IPs.

Banned
Now that I think about, Playstation doesn't have that kind of franchise anymore. Could be extremely popular with the old heads, but kids these days ae not going to be hyped by something like twisted metal or syphon filter.... or Socom. They need to work on that consistency and relevancy of their IPs.

exactly what I've been saying. I can't think of a single "extremely" popular franchise Sony has that isn't currently active

Top Bottom