• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation rumoured to announce the return of an “extremely popular” franchise in Q4 2022

ANIMAL1975

Now that I think about, Playstation doesn't have that kind of franchise anymore. Could be extremely popular with the old heads, but kids these days ae not going to be hyped by something like twisted metal or syphon filter.... or Socom. They need to work on that consistency and relevancy of their IPs.
exactly what I've been saying. I can't think of a single "extremely" popular franchise Sony has that isn't currently active

For what is worth the guy doesn't say that it's a Sony franchise so could be something third-party.

Pyra

Neo Member
7696501230_0850c1bddc.jpg

DJ12

I keep coming back to this thread thinking it's been revealed, but then realised if it had there would already be 3 threads with the game name in the title already.

yurinka

Sure, every year we see IPs coming back. I wonder that is considered "extremely popular" and what is considered "to come back". Almost any IP could be included there.

In any case, this must be fake because unless it's an emulated 'remaster', a AAA or AA game supposed to hit Gold in half a year or so can't be in a 70% of its development. It should be pretty much done, in beta making its final part of bugfixing, optimizations, polishing and tweaks.

The leaker said extremely popular, so I'd bet it's something else.

Last edited:
Wipeout would be cool with 120fps etc…

Never had a new one (except the amazing VR remake of HD/Fury) on PS4.

Also MAG or a new resistance We deserve it

Fake

The death of e3 has really killed a large part of the excitement behind gaming and announcements.

We're drip-fed things now and it honestly isn't nearly as enticing. I think State of Plays are easily the worst ways to show a game off. Can't remember the last State of Play that made me want to buy a game.

I agree, State of Play is by far the worst show of gaming, but TGA show don't fall so far behind. Ubisoft, EA shows around E3 usually are trash as well.

If Sony got the rights somehow to the Konami IPs, and announced a remake/reimagining of Metal Gear 1 And Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake (Reboot series with young Solid Snake) and a Silent Hill reboot, my neighbors would hear me screaming!
This is how I feel about it. Metal Gear COULD be of value if you reboot it not just back to MGS, but to MG1 and 2 and then deviate from the MGS story.

That gives you at least a generation of games if not more.

I agree, State of Play is by far the worst show of gaming, but TGA show don't fall so far behind. Ubisoft, EA shows around E3 usually are trash as well.

Definitely not even including those because they're so bad, but they were never good.

It seems that Sony eschewed something good for something bad and it makes little sense.

Can anyone think of the last time Sony announced a game that people got excited for? It was Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine. Which was the fairly weak PlayStation Showcase 2021 in September. We're nearly 6 months without any real game announcements. And honestly, you can't just announce 2 games for a whole year. I guess 3 if you want to count KOTOR.

This is how I feel about it. Metal Gear COULD be of value if you reboot it not just back to MGS, but to MG1 and 2 and then deviate from the MGS story.

That gives you at least a generation of games if not more.
Who would direct it? corey barlog? it would probably become americanized.

Last edited:
Who would direct it? corey barlog? it would probably become americanized.

You have a few options here.

Sony has some relationship with Kojima, so they could get him to do it.

You could also get one of Sony's premier teams to do it or Bluepoint Games. I'm not sure that MGS screams Japanese outside of the outlandish story, which is probably the worst part of it i.e. liquid living on in a hand e.t.c.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Bringing back old franchises is easier said than done. The door is wide open for SONY to bring back a shooter.

MastaKiiLA

It's clearly Warhawk developed by Bungie's B team. Followed by a feature-length film starring Timothy Chalomet playing an actual warhawk, because people keep questioning his acting range.

Kdad

It's clearly Warhawk developed by Bungie's B team. Followed by a feature-length film starring Timothy Chalomet playing an actual warhawk, because people keep questioning his acting range.
Tom Holland already on the trash heap?

Fake

Definitely not even including those because they're so bad, but they were never good.

It seems that Sony eschewed something good for something bad and it makes little sense.

Can anyone think of the last time Sony announced a game that people got excited for? It was Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine. Which was the fairly weak PlayStation Showcase 2021 in September. We're nearly 6 months without any real game announcements. And honestly, you can't just announce 2 games for a whole year. I guess 3 if you want to count KOTOR.

I'll be honest, I'm with John from Digital Foundry at this time.

Yes, I got excited for Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine, but at the same time I got worried Imnsoniac gonna be full time Marvel games and thats actually true. If Wolverine make sucess, sure Marvel will make Imnsoniac create another 'Marvel'... and IMO is not good.

Back to the show, State of Play is so bad that made me watch Nintendo Direct many and many times and I got surprised how good recent Nintendo Direct became... still a 'B' for me, but far ahead 'E' from State of Play.

Corndog

Banned
Massive franchise just seems really vague and misleading, because the reality is Sony hasn't really abandoned in "massive" franchises.

Sony PS1 era franchises with at least two games that sold over a million but have not received a new release in a generation
Syphon Filter
Twisted Metal
Arc the Lad
Coolboarders
Jet Moto

PS2 era
Jak and Daxter
SOCOM
ATV Offroad Fury

PS3 era
Motorstorm

*I ignored NFL GameDay due to obvious licensing limitations

Outside of Jak and Daxter and SOCOM nothing really makes that much sense, but the real answer is probably Twisted Metal.
Days gone

0neAnd0nly

I had heard a while back from people I trust that SOCOM was definitely making a return, so my initial guess would be that.

Nothing crazy, not trying to drop “sources”. I worked in the industry for a bit but nothing high up. This isn’t some major player or anything, just someone that I know who is still involved.

Colin Moriarty has said the same I believe, but I also don’t think he has said it was “confirmed” by a source or anything - not trying to misquote him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom