• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation rumoured to announce the return of an “extremely popular” franchise in Q4 2022

ZVKOh6O.jpg

I'll be honest, I'm with John from Digital Foundry at this time.

Yes, I got excited for Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine, but at the same time I got worried Imnsoniac gonna be full time Marvel games and thats actually true. If Wolverine make sucess, sure Marvel will make Imnsoniac create another 'Marvel'... and IMO is not good.

Back to the show, State of Play is so bad that made me watch Nintendo Direct many and many times and I got surprised how good recent Nintendo Direct became... still a 'B' for me, but far ahead 'E' from State of Play.

I say do away with the State of Play entirely and curate 3 small shows and 1 big show a year.

To think we've gone 6 months without really hearing about any new games from a publisher that probably has 26+ games in development is absurd. It leaves me trepidatious for 2022 and 2023.

"Massive franchise"
"Extremely popular"
Returning??? One would think that something that is extremely popular and a massive franchise never would have left in the first place to return. I can't imagine what this could possibly be. That doesn't add up to me.

Nah I think Twisterd Metal is more popular than Socom.
No David Jaffe has confirmed Twisted Metal wasn't popular there have been Socom groups trying to bring it backup. There are people who got the Socom Confrontation servers on PS3 to go back up.

Plus Guerilla has had people who have worked on Socom and R6 siege developing a shooter since 2018 and the rumors have been that it's socom

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I did not expect so much discussion based on the word "extremely".

What does extreme mean exactly? To understand we must look to the teachings Plato, Aristotle, and Socrates.

In what world is TM a snooze fest?
Europe.

There aren’t that many relevant ‘older’ franchises that I’d want Sony to focus on in all honesty.

I’d love a back to basics Jack and Dexter with a larger open world and more bells and whistles though. I honestly think the Precusor Legacy is one of the best platformers ever made.

yurinka

I think it'ts fake news but tI'd love it to be a brand new Wipeout for PS4, PS5 and PSVR2.

Plus Guerilla has had people who have worked on Socom and R6 siege developing a shooter since 2018 and the rumors have been that it's socom
Do we really know if the game is a shooter? We know it's a multiplayer centric game with a persistent world, clans, tournaments and matchmaking. It could be a MP Killzone or Horizon.

How about a crossover between Socom, Syphon Filter, Killzone and Horizon? In the near future the Helgast come to invade the Earth, SOCOM and Gabe Logan and his crew are sent to fight them. At the end shit happens and the humans almost go extinct becoming the origin of Horizon.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
No David Jaffe has confirmed Twisted Metal wasn't popular there have been Socom groups trying to bring it backup. There are people who got the Socom Confrontation servers on PS3 to go back up.
Most requested Playstation Blog Share Remake was Socom I/II.

Twisted Metal more popular? What are you smoking??
lol fair enough. That's also why I included the possibility of it being Socom. Those are the only three that came to mind when I hear of an extremely popular franchise making a return.
Twisted Metal still sounds more plausble to me given Sony's recent promoting of the IP. Although Microsoft now owning the Call of Duty IP could incentivize Sony to revive Socom as a 1st party alternative to COD.

Europe.

There aren’t that many relevant ‘older’ franchises that I’d want Sony to focus on in all honesty.

I’d love a back to basics Jack and Dexter with a larger open world and more bells and whistles though. I honestly think the Precusor Legacy is one of the best platformers ever made.

I was talking about the gameplay...it's not even close to being a snoozefest.

Am I the only one who's never heard of Socom? 😬

To my defense, I didn't really play video games during the N64-PS1-PS2 generations since I hated the jump from sprites to polygons, so I only played some occasional games on PC and kept sticking to 8/16 bit games until 3D games were bearable to look at 😅

Am I the only one who's never heard of Socom? 😬

To my defense, I didn't really play video games during the N64-PS1-PS2 generations since I hated the jump from sprites to polygons, so I only played some occasional games on PC and kept sticking to 8/16 bit games until 3D games were bearable to look at 😅
Socom/II were huge mp games back then.
People on Xbox played Halo and on Playstation II we played Socom.

Chronicle

Don't they do this every few years to some degree? I mean, I'll take it but old games get renewed often. Could be any one of hundreds.

Yay finally a blasto sequel
God Damn I thought I was the only person alive who played Blasto lol

I remember reading a PSM article talking about how Phil Hartman did the voice for the character and I knew I had to have it. Game wasn't great but as a kid I liked the setting and cheesy jokes. I remember it being way harder than I expected too.

Don't they do this every few years to some degree? I mean, I'll take it but old games get renewed often. Could be any one of hundreds.

You're not wrong.

I mean in 2020 we saw a Demon's Souls remake.

In 2019 we saw a remake for MediEvil.

2018 was Shadow of the Colossus.

2017 we saw Loco Roco remasters and the Wipeout Omega Collection.

While not a comeback, we did see the Ratchet and Clank remake in 2016 and similarly in 2015 uncharted remasters.

I'd say a sequel, remake, or remaster is certainly common, maybe less so for older franchises though, particularly ones abandoned in PS1, PS2 days.

boomcrab

I dont believe this to be socom, syphon filter, twisted metal, etc. They were popular years ago and I'd welcome any revival of those franchises, I just dont think that's likely.
I really hope this isnt uncharted. Uncharted needs a longer break I feel. Right now Sony should be creating new ip and building on the fresher releases these last few years (ghosts, horizon, etc)
A new uncharted would just mean more of a commitment to the kinds of games they've been making all these years, when I think we all want to see them explore other genres.

Top Bottom