• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Studios next system seller?

The game of “what’s next?”. I’d rather rely on 3rd party for a while, especially with GTA6 on the horizon. Call of Duty is going to sell PS5’s. Madden is going to sell PS5’s. Sony has to get their GaaS out there since they’ve bought all these studios without a lot of announced games. Jade Raymond’s game has to come out. That bank heist co-op game.

I think Spider-Man 2 is a phenomenal game to go into Holiday 2023 with. Final Fantasy VII Part 2 is right around the corner. Things look good.
Legitimate question, has Jade Raymond released any games since AC1? All I can remember about her since then is she starts a company, gets people/investors interested, leaves said company, said company doesn't really do anything, cycle repeats.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Damn only Concord and the GOWR DLC is from a PS Studio. What are people smoking ?

Basically all games coming exclusively (even temporarily) on PS5 are PS Studios games ? Wow ok.
Death Stranding 2, Helldivers 2, and Rise of the Ronin are also PlayStation Studios titles. The xDev studio works on these games.

SenkiDala

Death Stranding 2, Helldivers 2, and Rise of the Ronin are also PlayStation Studios titles. The xDev studio works on these games.
No, a PS Studio helping isn't the same as a PS Studio producing / making the whole game, that's a fallacious argument and I'm sure you know it. :p

Aaron Olive

Likely will be the next SuckerPunch game.

After that Wolverine.

This epic adventure in 4 months from now:

81-pSXZ56tL._AC_SX569_.jpg

If FF7R doesn't count then DS2 which is a Sony owned IP.

tgapostersformobile.jpg
Damn I forgot about DS2, 2024 is likely.

Last edited:

Skifi28

My most anticipated would be Tsushima 2, assuming it's even happening. But it could still be years away so no idea. Still, now that Spiderman is out their makerting machine should focus soon on announcing what's next.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
No, a PS Studio helping isn't the same as a PS Studio producing / making the whole game, that's a fallacious argument and I'm sure you know it. :p
So should we ignore xDev completely, one of the biggest PlayStation Studios? Those games are funded by PlayStation, owned by PlayStation, and worked by a PlayStation Studios team.

If we go by your logic, then even The Last of Us Part 2 and God of War Ragnarok are not PlayStation Studios titles. Naughty Dog (~300 developers) only helped with TLOU 2, which over 2,000+ developers made from external studios.

That'll also mean that Perfect Dark is no longer a first-party Xbox game because The Initiative is only helping and the game is made more by Crystal Dynamics.

Ansphn

FF Rebirth. But if you're talking PlayStation 1st party, we won't know until they do their Showcase hopefully early next year and in December.

I guess that their next big system seller will be one of these GaaS or FFVII Rebirth/DS2 (if this game surprises people). TLOU 2 remaster could also be big if they time it with the next season of the TV show.

SenkiDala

So should we ignore xDev completely, one of the biggest PlayStation Studios? Those games are funded by PlayStation, owned by PlayStation, and worked by a PlayStation Studios team.

If we go by your logic, then even The Last of Us Part 2 and God of War Ragnarok are not PlayStation Studios titles. Naughty Dog (~300 developers) only helped with TLOU 2, which over 2,000+ developers made from external studios.

That'll also mean that Perfect Dark is no longer a first-party Xbox game because The Initiative is only helping and the game is made more by Crystal Dynamics.
I mean the thread title says PS Studios games. Sure it's great (and it pays off) that a Sony Studio helps for the dev of those games. But it doesn't make them "PS Studios games".

I mean on the OFFICIAL WEBSITE of PS Studios none of those games are listed : https://www.playstation.com/fr-fr/corporate/playstation-studios/

I was just trying to be factual.

Peronally the only PS Studios exclusive game I see coming that has been officially announced is Wolverine, is there another one ? Marathon is multiplat (since it is a GaaS game they want the money from everyone).

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I mean the thread title says PS Studios games. Sure it's great (and it pays off) that a Sony Studio helps for the dev of those games. But it doesn't make them "PS Studios games".

I mean on the OFFICIAL WEBSITE of PS Studios none of those games are listed : https://www.playstation.com/fr-fr/corporate/playstation-studios/

Peronally the only PS Studios exclusive game I see coming that has been officially announced is Wolverine, is there another one ? Marathon is multiplat (since it is a GaaS game they want the money from everyone).
Sony officially calls them PlayStation Studios games.

a6yDHEI.jpg
3iqXNhT.jpg

Death Stranding also featured in the official PlayStation Studios banner.

2022-04-14-ts3_thumbs-35b.jpg

I think you're confusing outsourcing as a game not qualifying as a PlayStation Studios title. But as I explained in my previous comment, if we discard outsourcing, then even TLOU 2 wouldn't qualify as a PlayStation Studios title.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

Sony officially calls them PlayStation Studios games.

a6yDHEI.jpg
3iqXNhT.jpg
The logo is just saying a PS Studio is working on it, at least to me. Like when you have the producer companies at the start of movies, it doesn't mean they made the game but just that they helped in some way.

The fact is that we don't have much 1st Party PS games coming is still a fact, can we all agree about that ? I find this concerning, a little. At first I thought it was because they wanted to act like "boohoo look we have no games" in front of certification organisms like the CMA or FTC, but now that the deal is confirmed I don't see why they don't announce other games, maybe they're just waiting a special event like some kind of conference, the VGA, or something.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean this period is when PlayStation live service push is supposed to bear fruit right?

I'm not expecting anything until latter half of 2024 and what that will be is anyone's guess. It won't be a live service title that's for sure.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Can't see us getting a God of war sequel in under 2 years, unless you mean the rumored expansion.
One train of thought about the rumored expansion suggests that it may be sold as standalone game (similar in scope to Miles Morales or The Lost Legacy) and would actually be Bluepoint's original project, which has been in the works for the past 2-3 years. It is worth noting that Bluepoint already provided support to Ragnarok itself, and that their original project is confirmed to not be new IP but work on an existing franchise.
Cant see DS2 being a system seller either. The first sold well enough but i think it turned a lot of people off once they found out exactly how it played. An acquired taste, not a system seller.
Regarding DS2, it may not be a best-seller in the short term like other Sony exclusives, but that doesn't mean it lacks a system-seller value. For instance, Bloodborne probably only sold 4-5M lifetime (and that's a generous estimation), but you can deny that it was a system-seller for the hardcore audience and a reason to own a PS4 early into that generation. DS2 might have the same impact on the Hideo Kojima fanbase.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The logo is just saying a PS Studio is working on it, at least to me. Like when you have the producer companies at the start of movies, it doesn't mean they made the game but just that they helped in some way.
The logo doesn't mean they helped. They only have this logo on PlayStation Studios titles, and the logo means that a game is a PlayStation Studios title.
2A7KMQH.jpg

In the above examples, you can see that there is no difference between God of War Ragnarok, Helldivers 2, and Death Stranding 2 in terms of their status being PlayStation Studios titles.

And since we are discussing PlayStation Studios in this thread, all these games will have to be included in the discussion as they're literally and officially called "PlayStation Studios games."

You're free to have a different definition, but that'll be against official terms and technically incorrect. I'm only mentioning this because you said that you were being factual.
The fact is that we don't have much 1st Party PS games coming is still a fact, can we all agree about that ? I find this concerning, a little. At first I thought it was because they wanted to act like "boohoo look we have no games" in front of certification organisms like the CMA or FTC, but now that the deal is confirmed I don't see why they don't announce other games, maybe they're just waiting a special event like some kind of conference, the VGA, or something.
This is a separate discussion, and we can definitely have that.

I agree that they should show games more aggressively, but I also understand why they are not doing it.
  • They already have several titles lined up: Spider-Man 2 just released this week. Then Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade will likely release soon. Full exclusives like FF7 Rebirth as well that will help them sell consoles and that Sony doesn't want to cannibalize.
  • They are selling PS5 like hot cakes, so I think they are holding things back for the inevitable lull period in the future. Especially because there is 0 competition from Xbox.
  • Sony has been following this strategy in the last few years of not showing games in advance -- unless there is a strong reason. They want the period between announcement and release to be a short one.
Doesn't mean it doesn't suck though. I'd love to see Sony Santa Monica's next IP, for example. And how the next Astrobot looks like.

It is also a bad decision not to show Concord's gameplay this close to release. I hope they show it soon.

But as far the total number of upcoming releases go, I think they have a packed 2024. So they will take even more time and blow their load when they can show games on a PS5 Pro.

RaduN

Cant see DS2 being a system seller either. The first sold well enough but i think it turned a lot of people off once they found out exactly how it played. An acquired taste, not a system seller.
When the classic Kojima trailers will come in full force, and they'll throw in some more action sequences to please the casuals, people will eat it for breakfast.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Legitimate question, has Jade Raymond released any games since AC1? All I can remember about her since then is she starts a company, gets people/investors interested, leaves said company, said company doesn't really do anything, cycle repeats.
Haven studios was bought the moment the studio was announced and now they’re making Fairgame$. A PvP heist game. Is this why Japan Studio had to close because I’d rather see Fairgame$ flop and Sony lose all their money. The way this industry works baffles me. Who is talking about Fairgame$? If your console has Apex and Fortnite, plus GTA Online. What makes Fairgame$ better? Rockstar is going to make billions off a new GTA Online.

AmuroChan

• They already have several titles lined up: Spider-Man 2 just released this week. Then Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade will likely release soon. Full exclusives like FF7 Rebirth as well that will help them sell consoles and that Sony doesn't want to cannibalize.

They also have MLB The Show coming out in March, which is consistently one of their best selling games year after year and an example of a live service game that’s been very profitable for them.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Haven studios was bought the moment the studio was announced and now they’re making Fairgame$. A PvP heist game. Is this why Japan Studio had to close because I’d rather see Fairgame$ flop and Sony lose all their money. The way this industry works baffles me. Who is talking about Fairgame$? If your console has Apex and Fortnite, plus GTA Online. What makes Fairgame$ better? Rockstar is going to make billions off a new GTA Online.

Apex, Fortnite, and GTA Online are not PvP Heist games.

Lupin25

We already know what’s next and it’s a lot of 3rd party stuff. Plus we know Sony doesn’t announce much further down the line anymore, rather 6-12 months out.

Helldivers 2
FFVII Rebirth
Silent Hill 2 (Remake)
Rise of the Ronin
Stellar Blade
DS2

We don’t know who’s ready for 1st party reveal, most likely all the games we’ve seen before (GaaS). Probably Ragnarök DLC & TLOU Pt 2 Director’s Cut. Can’t really see ND, Cory Barlog, or Bungie’s Marathon being ready until 2025.

Last edited:

Woopah

Concord and Fairgame$ are both console exclusive.
  • Sony has been following this strategy in the last few years of not showing games in advance -- unless there is a strong reason. They want the period between announcement and release to be a short one
Where does this idea come from? Sony has shown several games in advance. What do you count as a short period?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I have to wonder how high the player count is for heist games. Those other games generate higher player count. I was thinking about overall player counts and where the majority of players are at.

The people who suggest the heist genre is tapped out (not you) aren't astute minds. It's a largely untapped market with plenty of room to grow.

That being said, it looks like PlayStations GAAS studios are the torchbearers when it comes to creativity and risk. PlayStation has been struggling with Sequelitis for years now. Such a debilitating disease

T0minator

I'm totally interested in what made Sony immediately purchase Firewalk. Hope the game is special
My thoughts exactly, yea the game could end up being forgettable. But the fact that PS acquired Firewalk showed that they're interested in their talent and IP.

PlayStation needs their own FPS MP game and even one great one is good enough to be dominate on the platform. Gamers want something new in that space, I know I do

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
My thoughts exactly, yea the game could end up being forgettable. But the fact that PS acquired Firewalk showed that they're interested in their talent and IP.

PlayStation needs their own FPS MP game and even one great one is good enough to be dominate on the platform. Gamers want something new in that space, I know I do
Not just the IP. I think the biggest draw for Sony was the talent of Firewalk Studios.

People might be underestimating that team because they are a new studio and haven't released a game, but that team itself is marvelous. Like if someone cherry-picked an A-Team to make a multiplayer FPS game, it'd be Firewalk's team.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Where does this idea come from? Sony has shown several games in advance. What do you count as a short period?
They announced a few system sellers in advance -- Spider-Man 2 and God of War Ragnarok. And one game that would have been leaked otherwise, Wolverine.

Everything else has been fairly close to their release.
  • Games like Miles Morales, Sackboy, Demon's Souls, Astrobot, etc. that were released within 6 months
  • Returnal and Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart that were released within roughly ~12 months.
  • TLOU P1 Remake that was released within 3 months.
  • Helldivers 2 that will release within ~8 months, even after a delay.
  • Concord that is will is scheduled to release within 12-16 months.
Naughty Dog also talked about this specifically that they will be announcing/showing games close to their release dates. IIRC, one of Jim and Hermen also said something similar.

StueyDuck

I imagine it's a game we don't know of yet considering barely any of their SP first parties have told us what they are making yet (besides wolverine, which i wouldn't be shocked is closer than we think).

So the real answer is DS2 obviously

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Sorry everyone, Ghost or Tsushima 2 is not releasing in the same year as Rise of the Ronin. But I DO feel Wolverine could be a 2024 title around September, with Death Stranding 2 being a great launch title for the PS5 Pro.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The people who suggest the heist genre is tapped out (not you) aren't astute minds. It's a largely untapped market with plenty of room to grow.

That being said, it looks like PlayStations GAAS studios are the torchbearers when it comes to creativity and risk. PlayStation has been struggling with Sequelitis for years now. Such a debilitating disease
Good solid point. I miss the games they would make for PSP and the risks they made with Japanese development houses. GaaS hasn’t made me a believer. After this long, I don’t know if I could believe. I don’t necessarily have faith when Sony has half of their leadership team leave after the last console generation. Combine that with how they’re combining all their studios into a worldwide structure doesn’t help either.

Death Stranding 2 could add a lot of cool features that the first game didn’t have. It’s great to see new IPs, but I also see why sequels can be great for fans. The production costs probably prevents them from being too crazy with new IPs. I am glad we are seeing stuff like MGS3 and SH2 come back. Even if they aren’t new. Maybe that shows my age because those games were at the top of my list during my early teenage years. I can’t wait to revisit their worlds.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member

Banjo64

cumsessed

I can’t believe Fairgame$ exists. Thanks for reminding me. Can’t believe Sony are pushing something that looks as bad as this.

Woopah

They announced a few system sellers in advance -- Spider-Man 2 and God of War Ragnarok. And one game that would have been leaked otherwise, Wolverine.

Everything else has been fairly close to their release.
  • Games like Miles Morales, Sackboy, Demon's Souls, Astrobot, etc. that were released within 6 months
  • Returnal and Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart that were released within roughly ~12 months.
  • TLOU P1 Remake that was released within 3 months.
  • Helldivers 2 that will release within ~8 months, even after a delay.
  • Concord that is will is scheduled to release within 12-16 months.
Naughty Dog also talked about this specifically that they will be announcing/showing games close to their release dates. IIRC, one of Jim and Hermen also said something similar.
I think you could definitely make that arguement for games that were announced at the PS5 reveal. Most of them were indeed launched within the year

But since then there have been several Sony-published games announced over a year from release:

Spiderman 2
Wolerine
KOTOR Remake
Death Stranding 2
Rise of Ronin
Fairgame$ (presumably)

Plus you have the China Hero Projects like Stellar Blade, Convallaria and Lost Soul Aside, where Sony announced they were publishing those games more than a year from release.

Basically I see quite a range of "announcement to release" timings from Sony. Though you could argue they have moved away from announcing most things 2-3 years from release.

I can’t believe Fairgame$ exists. Thanks for reminding me. Can’t believe Sony are pushing something that looks as bad as this.
Hard to judge given that we've seen no gameplay.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
In 2024, I am 100% convinced we'll get:

ghost of Tsushima 2
Next Sony Bend Game
Resistance Trilogy Remaster
Bloodborne remake
New IP from BluePoint.

Top Bottom