• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

well the last reveal seems to be just devs hyping up After the Fall:

given they only show pc footage and their previous game AZ Sunshine looked like a mobile phone, I think it'll look like utter ass in PS4 VR.

I think it's a game that was counting on psvr2 already being here and got fucked - like many others. May still get a better version when that finally releases, but I hope I'm not bothering with indies ever again on psvr2...

Tygeezy

well the last reveal seems to be just devs hyping up After the Fall:

given they only show pc footage and their previous game AZ Sunshine looked like a mobile phone, I think it'll look like utter ass in PS4 VR.

I think it's a game that was counting on psvr2 already being here and got fucked - like many others. May still get a better version when that finally releases, but I hope I'm not bothering with indies ever again on psvr2...

AZ sunshine is super janky. I played it in co-op with a buddy of mine. Your co-op partner runs around like they took an arrow to the knee and the voice acting is annoying. The opening and closing of doors is also awful.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Sniper Elite VR is going to be a great time. Fracked, After the Fall, and Arashi are also looking pretty fun as well. Wanderer looks interesting, but I have a feeling it will be really short.

you just can't kill PSVR. Looks like it's dying then get a crop of good-looking games.
Sniper Elite is coming to Quest too. It was announced back in 2018 for psvr. then pandemics, then crypto idiotic chip shortages... unending delays...

anyway, last great summer for psvr. Nextgen shortages are leading to unexpected delays and change of plans at large for even games like GoW and Horizon, so I don't even expect anymore any reveal for psvr2 this year... sad to see some great games dwindling on a dying platform with ever more reduced audience...

Arashi Castles of Sin, unexpected good surprise for psvr that has been thoroughly lacking in any meaningful releases since Doom 3...

very good VR gameplay, including grappling hook and possibly good melee. But looks mostly about stealth, more Tenchu than Tsushima.

I really liked the small glimpse we had of Arashi, but here's the thing: this studio is one of those formed by previous AAA veterans in the wake of modern VR - like Polyarc, Fast Travel Games, the Golem studio etc - still back in 2014 and this seems to be their lone actual game output up to now.

Hoping good things, stealth may certainly be there but for how long? And no melee shown...

can't we please just play Tsushima in VR with gamepad on psvr2?

I think there was a bit in the trailer where it showed the player cutting off a guys arm with the sword.
Nah, the problem with most VR games is that the player is usually overpowered and can easily cut paper thin, passive ragdolls like that.

But I watched again and found a bit where there's actually a parry - so already at least as good as Shadow Legend or Golem.

it annoys me though that Sony keeps calling these "psvr experiences", not games. Perhaps to legitimize short length. I'll be so glad if psvr2 actually brings VR mode to most big games so this short tech demo 2016 VR era finally ends...

Wonko_C

It's a good thing Sony's first party output all seem to have 60fps modes, that'll make it easier to implement VR modes without much loss in fidelity.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Explore a range of great PS VR games you can play on your PS5 or PS4 consoles.

One important holdout remains: Sony Group Corp. plans to use Samsung Display Co. OLED panels in its next-generation PlayStation VR goggles, according to people with knowledge of the matter. The Japanese console giant sold more than 5 million units of the original PS VR, launched in 2016, and is aiming to release the successor in the holiday period next year, the people said, asking not to be named discussing internal plans.

A Sony spokesperson and a Samsung Display representative declined to comment.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

So we getting Resident Evil 4 on PSVR2?
The game seems to be a Street Fighter V type of deal so we won't see it on other platforms. Facebook funded the game and Armature is developing. Capcom doesn't really have much to do with it. I venture to say the game would probably have never been mede if Facebook didn't push for it.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Step into Song in the Smoke: a virtual reality survival adventure, set in a beautiful yet deadly world outside of time. Experience the wonder, adventure, and terror of being alone in the wild, fighting for survival and building the tools and shelter required to do so.

Launching on PlayStation VR, Oculus Quest & Oculus Rift October 7, 2021.

Kev Kev

has anyone tried this?

ive been jonesing for an open world VR survival game ever since playing the long dark for the first time recently. my only issue is it looks like you have to use the move controllers.

now, to be fair, ive only used my move controllers once or twice. i hated the experience so much that i have yet to use them again. i just cant get used to the movement. without analog sticks (or at least a proper d-pad.... smh, wtf sony? you morons), movement in VR feels terrible and clunky. some have said you eventually get used to it, but i found it so atrocious the first time i tried it, i never gave it time to get used to it. this is also the reason i havent played walking dead saints and sinners.

so i guess im just wondering how people enjoyed the game, if they did at all?

and just a general question, its it worth it to get used to the move controllers?

its just feels so bad and unnatural, i hate using the buttons to move around. should i fire up skyrim and use the move controllers to get used to it? i dont see people complain about using the move controllers, but its just seems so god awful to me, i dont understand why i dont hear more complaints about it.

R6Rider

Gold Member

has anyone tried this?

ive been jonesing for an open world VR survival game ever since playing the long dark for the first time recently. my only issue is it looks like you have to use the move controllers.

now, to be fair, ive only used my move controllers once or twice. i hated the experience so much that i have yet to use them again. i just cant get used to the movement. without analog sticks (or at least a proper d-pad.... smh, wtf sony? you morons), movement in VR feels terrible and clunky. some have said you eventually get used to it, but i found it so atrocious the first time i tried it, i never gave it time to get used to it. this is also the reason i havent played walking dead saints and sinners.

and just a general question, its it worth it to get used to the move controllers?

its just feels so bad and unnatural, i hate using the buttons to move around. should i fire up skyrim and use the move controllers to get used to it? i dont see people complain about using the move controllers, but its just seems so god awful to me, i dont understand why i dont hear more complaints about it.

I got used to the Move controls for movement really fast in Skyrim, but it may be better or worse depending on the game. I generally have no issue between using the DS6, Moves, or AIM for various games.

Luckily the PSVR2 orbs will have analog sticks and solve a lot of problems.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

I got used to the Move controls for movement really fast in Skyrim, but it may be better or worse depending on the game. I generally have no issue between using the DS6, Moves, or AIM for various games.

Luckily the PSVR2 orbs will have analog sticks and solve a lot of problems.
even the movement?

it doesnt feel weird trying to move around when your using x, square, circle, triangle? ugh, i just couldnt get over how clunky it felt. should i try it again? does it eventually become unnoticeable and just feel like a d-pad?

one of my biggest annoyances was that i couldnt hit two directions at once, you know what i mean? so if i wanted to move diagonally, it felt janky. it was like i had to move forward, then turn to the right, then move forward again. or move forward, strafe to the right, then continue moving forward. i dunno how to explain it, it just felt very clunky and robotic.

and just to reiterate, i didnt give but like 20 minutes before i put the controllers down and havent touched them since lol... maybe just need to try it again...

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
even the movement?

it doesnt feel weird trying to move around when your using x, square, circle, triangle? ugh, i just couldnt get over how clunky it felt. should i try it again? does it eventually become unnoticeable and just feel like a d-pad?

one of my biggest annoyances was that i couldnt hit two directions at once, you know what i mean? so if i wanted to move diagonally, it felt janky. it was like i had to move forward, then turn to the right, then move forward again. or move forward, strafe to the right, then continue moving forward. i dunno how to explain it, it just felt very clunky and robotic.
It doesn't use the face buttons to move in all directions. You hold the center Move button and angle the controller on said directions you want to go. The exception being holding down one button if you want to go backwards. Some games do use the face buttons, but not all of them. That method reminds me of using the face buttons on PSP to aim.

Kev Kev

It doesn't use the face buttons to move in all directions. You hold the center Move button and angle the controller on said directions you want to go. The exception being holding down one button if you want to go backwards. Some games do use the face buttons, but not all of them. That method reminds me of using the face buttons on PSP to aim.
oooooh okay well that sounds a little better

i dont know what game i was playing, but you had to use the face buttons for movement and it felt horrible. like, imagine using x, square, circle and triangle to move your character on a regular PS controller... that would be awful right? lol thats basically the experience i had.

ok well i guess i need to give it another shot. thanks for the feedback.

Wonko_C

has anyone tried this?

I didn't have any problems with the move controllers from the very beginning. If you think think about it, the big button is like pushing forward on the stick or the W on a keyboard, X and Circle are just like pushing left or right on the right analog or moving the mouse. I will admit the analog sticks on the new controllers will feel like coming out of the stone age, though.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

ok so i just spent about 30 minutes running around in skyrim, using the bow, some weapons, picking things up and whatnot and it just feels awful. no way i could see myself spending any amount of time with those things and enjoying myself

which sucks because i really want to. i just feel completely befuddled and confused, nothing about it feels right and i keep getting lost in what buttons to push and which to hold down. and then going through menus stuff is a nightmare. every time im just trying to scroll through i wind up accidentally equipping or unequipping.

i have no effing idea how you guys got used ot these things. and it blows because ir eally want to play saints and sinners but now effing way am i gonna spend money on that thing if i have to use these move controllers. how is it that everyone else seems to be okay with them? is skyrim a bad game to judge the move controllers on?

Wonko_C

ok so i just spent about 30 minutes running around in skyrim, using the bow, some weapons, picking things up and whatnot and it just feels awful. no way i could see myself spending any amount of time with those things and enjoying myself

which sucks because i really want to. i just feel completely befuddled and confused, nothing about it feels right and i keep getting lost in what buttons to push and which to hold down. and then going through menus stuff is a nightmare. every time im just trying to scroll through i wind up accidentally equipping or unequipping.

i have no effing idea how you guys got used ot these things. and it blows because ir eally want to play saints and sinners but now effing way am i gonna spend money on that thing if i have to use these move controllers. how is it that everyone else seems to be okay with them? is skyrim a bad game to judge the move controllers on?
Unfortunately Skyrim is like the "best" control method, and everybody else just copied them afterwards.

I'm hoping PSVR1 games work on PSVR2 and they get updated to use the new controllers, or at least let us emulate/remap the Move buttons to the analog sticks.

I did stop playing Skyrim VR, because I just keep adding new games to the VR backlog on top of TV games, and never finish the older ones. I guess I'll wait and see if my hopes come true and pick up Skyrim again until then... or go the PCVR route.

Last edited:

engstra

Well Saints & Sinners is free for the month of November, so no harm in trying it.

Kev Kev

Well Saints & Sinners is free for the month of November, so no harm in trying it.
Oh for real!? Do I have to sub to PS plus?

myabe that’ll be a good chance for me to try it out. I’ll spend a couple hours with it and really give it a chance

Romulus

Spend another hour playing like that see how much you improve.

Kev Kev

Spend another hour playing like that see how much you improve.
Ok I’ll give it another shot 👍

I’m gonna sit in a chair this time. I usually lay back with my feet up, but I don’t think that’s going to work for moving ny arms around and stuff.

Romulus

Ok I’ll give it another shot 👍

I’m gonna sit in a chair this time. I usually lay back with my feet up, but I don’t think that’s going to work for moving ny arms around and stuff.

Yeah it's kind of a bitch but I was shocked how natural it became after some effort.

Wonko_C

heres a clip of me i took a while back

i fuckin love vr

I already knew about that one because I played it flat a year before purchasing my PSVR so it didn't get me in VR. I Wouldn't have dared to even touch the game at all in VR if it was my first time, though.

But I'll do it once Village gets PSVR2 support. I'm not buying the game until then.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member

Tons of announcements, mostly for Quest 2 and PC, but there is some PSVR sprinkled in there.

Lucky's Tale looks good, always nice to see more VR platformers.

I'm hoping a lot of these titles will have PSVR2 versions later or announcements when the time is right.

Kev Kev

Ugh, more games that require move controllers, gross

Those things are garbage. I can’t even enjoy PSVR because these newer games are all requiring those awful things. I just want to sit down with a controller in VR, I don’t need to be up and moving around, waving my arms around. I hope VR devs start making these games accessible with controller too, the movement stuff is really unappealing to me.

Bummer…

Top Bottom