• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Playstation should make a version of Helldivers 2 for PSVR 2/PCVR.

The more I think about it, it would actually easily work mechanically and would be epic as it gets.
It's so dumb, the fact that Sony hasn't figured out a way to make the headset an extension of the camera.

A full VR mode is clearly more ideal but just imagine flat gamers having their minds blown by the simple perspective shift, release that as a taste and then announce a full conversion is being worked on. It would get so many people talking about how cool VR is, "Dude, I'm in the game, for real, I'm in the game!"

XXL

It's so dumb, the fact that Sony hasn't figured out a way to make the headset an extension of the camera.

A full VR mode is clearly more ideal but just imagine flat gamers having their minds blown by the simple perspective shift, release that as a taste and then announce a full conversion is being worked on. It would get so many people talking about how cool VR is, "Dude, I'm in the game, for real, I'm in the game!"
I agree.

That game in particular would translate beautifully. Almost all the mechanics could be moved over to VR and would obviously be an amazing VR co-op expierence and the PSVR2 doesn't have many of those. It actually makes perfect sense, it wasn't even that expensive to develop in the first place.

It's a match made in heaven as far as I'm concerned.

SilentUser

"Stonebrick says the PSVR 2 version uses 8K textures through Unreal Engine and eye-tracking support for foveated rendering. cyubeVR also includes official PS5 mod support. letting you "browse, download and install custom mod blocks created by the cyubeVR community" with hundreds of blocks available."

Markio128

"Stonebrick says the PSVR 2 version uses 8K textures through Unreal Engine and eye-tracking support for foveated rendering. cyubeVR also includes official PS5 mod support. letting you "browse, download and install custom mod blocks created by the cyubeVR community" with hundreds of blocks available."
This one has caught my attention because I love the visual style. I just hope the game has plenty of depth.

sncvsrtoip

from reddit

new-vr-marketshare-report-from-counterpoint-research-is-in-v0-uw4dwaupfaoc1.png

SilentUser

I remember you asking about this game. Did you get it? If yes, is it any good?
Yep, I did. It is surprisingly good and they keep adding content. Will try the new tracks soon, but more excited about the new tournament mode (the game needs more of that!). The game isn't the sharpest, but it is damn fine in terms of resolution. Plus, the native 90hz is far superior than the terrible reprojection the game had before. If you like kart games à lá Mario Kart, this is a cool one in VR.

PanzerCute

Genitype was just announced to release on the 23 March for PSVR2. Apparently its a metroidvania shooter with unique weapons with a 8-10 hours campaign. It initially launched on Quest and was pretty well received, and got a patch that fixed most of the gameplay issues.

Could not find any PSVR2 trailer or video, so here is the launch trailer for Quest:

Could be cool tbh.

Minsc

Gold Member
Developer of cyubeVR has AMA on reddit and I asked what was performance gain of using dynamic foveated rendering, he replied:

I kinda feel like it's gotta be super easy to put a number on, no?

Just disable it and get the framerate, what, like 10fps? Sure. Then turn it back on, have it be 90fps again, and there you go. 900% improvement with FR.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Genitype was just announced to release on the 23 March for PSVR2. Apparently its a metroidvania shooter with unique weapons with a 8-10 hours campaign. It initially launched on Quest and was pretty well received, and got a patch that fixed most of the gameplay issues.

Could not find any PSVR2 trailer or video, so here is the launch trailer for Quest:

Could be cool tbh.

Never heard of this but it looks pretty good.

PanzerCute

In the end we decided to go with 7th Guest instead of Cyube for tonight, but I am definitely interested to buy it soon (and pretty hyped to play 7th Guest!)

ABnormal

Just disable it and get the framerate, what, like 10fps? Sure. Then turn it back on, have it be 90fps again, and there you go. 900% improvement with FR.
I'm pretty sure that it cannot be reduced to a single number like frame rate: it surely affects a balance of frame rate, resolution, and various rendering aspects.

sncvsrtoip

in the end he put number, 2x, quite awsome ;)

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure that it cannot be reduced to a single number like frame rate: it surely affects a balance of frame rate, resolution, and various rendering aspects.

I don't actually believe if effects rendering does it? Like outside the ETFR there's no shadows, the models are lower quality, the SSAO is off, etc. I am not aware it can do stuff like that.

That's why when you watch someone using ETFR you can see where they're looking by the clarity vs everywhere else being way lower res, at least that's the impression I got. It's not like objects suddenly vanish away or anything I don't think, I feel that would be jarring in game. So I believe it's only res?

I don't think ETFR can effect frame rate either, like the area you're looking is going to be the same framerate as the part outside as well.

So afaik I think it's only resolution. That's easy enough. If the area in the FR is say 200% native res, then that's what I'd use to compare it against, the entire game rendering at 200% native res. After all, that's going to give an identical experience, as ETFR cannot be detected in the headset itself (at least not without trying, it's definitely not seen as a negative anyway).

ABnormal

I don't actually believe if effects rendering does it? Like outside the ETFR there's no shadows, the models are lower quality, the SSAO is off, etc. I am not aware it can do stuff like that.

That's why when you watch someone using ETFR you can see where they're looking by the clarity vs everywhere else being way lower res, at least that's the impression I got. It's not like objects suddenly vanish away or anything I don't think, I feel that would be jarring in game. So I believe it's only res?

I don't think ETFR can effect frame rate either, like the area you're looking is going to be the same framerate as the part outside as well.

So afaik I think it's only resolution. That's easy enough. If the area in the FR is say 200% native res, then that's what I'd use to compare it against, the entire game rendering at 200% native res. After all, that's going to give an identical experience, as ETFR cannot be detected in the headset itself (at least not without trying, it's definitely not seen as a negative anyway).
There's no fixed use for foveated rendering: It's up to the developer to relocate the newfound avaliable computational resources. It can be on resolution, frames, or rendering GPU operations. We had some good examples on some PSVR2 games before.
Most of times it's used just for resolution and/or frame rate, but it's apretty flexible tool. And developers can also tweak it, making it more or less "aggressive" (increasing or reducing the high quality area, and tweaking the quality of the out-of-fovea area. For example, it's quite subtle in Village, but it's very aggressive on NMS.
Resolution is just defined by a number of rendered pixels: you can choose to have that per second number in less but higher-res screenshots, or you can have more frames but with lower res screenshots (I didn't use the word "frame" to not making it confusing speaking also of frame rate).
But still, it's just a way to save general computational power. It can be used in different things. Res and frame rate are just the easiest ones to intervene on.
It's also possible to compare a full res, full rendered screenshot in terms of number of operations needed to render it, and compare it to the foveated rendered same screenshot, calculating how much less operations were done in the lower res, simpler lighted, etc. zones.
It's really a magic way to create a visual result way above the real power of the hardware itself.

PanzerCute

7th guest is very cool after 1 hour of play (I wanted to play more but the gf had motion sickness). Could have been sharper but the graphics are really great too, and its somewhat stunning to see all these real actors appear on screen.

It's funny how I don't care about puzzle games at all for flat games, but absolutely love them in VR.

Last edited:
7th guest is very cool after 1 hour of play (I wanted to play more but the gf had motion sickness). Could have been sharper but the graphics are really great too, and its somewhat stunning to see all these real actors appear on screen.

It's funny how I don't care about puzzle games at all for flat games, but absolutely love them in VR.
I don't think it uses foveated rendering, otherwise it would look super crisp. Too bad as it would make it looks amazing. The puzzles were way too complicated for me though and the clues weren't that helpful.

SilentUser

I don't care about them in flat, but in VR it's a whole different beast: the way we interact with the puzzles is far superior than in any other medium. I love it! Puzzles are way more interesting and enjoyable in VR.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

Visually it won't get any better. I saw the dev mentioning on X that Vertigo 2 was made on older version of unity that doesn't support foveated rendering..
I have not played the game but many dont use foveated rendering and look way sharper than Vertigo 2. My biggest issue tho is framerate, they are really a problem for me in VR, and foveated would not really help for that I guess.

Perp just decided to go cheap on the port and the optimisation is not there, it's a shame.

I am still hoping for a patch.

Top Bottom