• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Anyone played and recommend Hubris or Crossfire Sierra?
I've seen both of them have physical releases.
Hubris is great IMO, really solid single player campaign and just got a free upgrade that adds an arena mode. Lots of climbing, swimming, gunplay is fun, looks great in the headset. Some people are quite harsh towards it and I honestly don't know why. It's one of my favorites for the headset.

I haven't played Crossfire but everyone raves about it, I'll get it at some point. It has coop too and looks like an absolute riot. Lots of game modes too in terms of difficulty.

marcincz

Hubris is great IMO, really solid single player campaign and just got a free upgrade that adds an arena mode. Lots of climbing, swimming, gunplay is fun, looks great in the headset. Some people are quite harsh towards it and I honestly don't know why. It's one of my favorites for the headset.

I haven't played Crossfire but everyone raves about it, I'll get it at some point. It has coop too and looks like an absolute riot. Lots of game modes too in terms of difficulty.
Thanks for your reply.

scydrex

How far are you with Legendary Tales? The first boss is kicking my ass. Still at lvl 4. Made a Katana lvl 4. Did the tutorial of the merchants, alchemy, etc.

fart town usa

Gold Member
How far are you with Legendary Tales? The first boss is kicking my ass. Still at lvl 4. Made a Katana lvl 4. Did the tutorial of the merchants, alchemy, etc.
I'm far in, like level 32, last dungeon. I haven't played it in a week or so cause The Foglands consumes me whenever I start playing it.

Did you want to link up sometime so I can lend a hand?

fart town usa

Gold Member
I just can't believe that there is only 1 game for psvr2 on ps+ extra !! Wtf sony ???
Yea, you'd think there'd be at least one critically acclaimed game and handful of smaller titles. I'm thinking Ghostbusters, Moss Book 1, Propagation: Paradise Hotel, etc. Sony had endless pockets for obscure flat stuff but can't throw a bone to their loyal headset adopters :messenger_grinning_sweat:

fart town usa

Gold Member
As always, not trying to whore my stuff but just wanted to share some gameplay clips from last night, no commentary of course. Did my best in Elgato/OBS to get as close to the headset image as I could. Wish I could have done the same with Propagation but that game seems impossible to brighten up.

3 clips that really showcase the combat and platforming/exploration.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm trying to get that Wizards game mentioned in the blog post but it's not showing up on the website store or app yet. Looks dope.

Edit- decided to get the upgrade for Bad Dreams. I know I could have got it for free but I really respect the devs. The game on PSVR was an absolute mess but every time I emailed them about an issue, it'd be fixed within a day and a new patch rolled out. It was quite stunning, the game was still a mess though unfortunately but it really aims for something special and I hope it gets there someday.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
That game caught my attention in a heart beat 😅 which check some videos later today.

Also, pretty cool to see Wanderer is getting a sequel: Wanderer 2 The Seas of Fortune.
I didn't even look at the wanderer thing. Just figured it was an update on the VR2 version. I'll have to check it out.

fart town usa

Gold Member
That game caught my attention in a heart beat 😅 which check some videos later today.

Also, pretty cool to see Wanderer is getting a sequel: Wanderer 2 The Seas of Fortune.
If you get it it's another game that we can link up in down the road. Still want to coop when we're able to. 🍻

I'll share some thoughts too, I got my 2023 bonus today so splurging on some games, I'll get it once it shows in the store.

Edit- Nice. It's showing now, only $24.99. Will share some thoughts either tonight or tomorrow. 3 player coop. Edit 2- the store listing says 4 player but the game description says 3 player, "link up with 2 of your friends..." 🤷

Last edited:

SilentUser

If you get it it's another game that we can link up in down the road. Still want to coop when we're able to. 🍻

I'll share some thoughts too, I got my 2023 bonus today so splurging on some games, I'll get it once it shows in the store.

Edit- Nice. It's showing now, only $24.99. Will share some thoughts either tonight or tomorrow. 3 player coop. Edit 2- the store listing says 4 player but the game description says 3 player, "link up with 2 of your friends..." 🤷
Man, this game is really interesting but I'm afraid the resolution might be really low going by the PSVR2 trailer:

Audiophile

Gold Member
Novel, theoretical idea on how Sony could provide Backwards Compatibility to most PSVR(1) titles:

First of all you'd create a rule for all PSVR1 titles where the PS5 system hijacks the video feed that would normally result from the PS4 Camera for PSVR1 titles. You'll then inject into this the feed of two virtual camera perspectives [3D] placed in a small, basic, dark box room that is rendered by some of the remaining GPU power (in both PS4 and PS4 Pro mode the PS5 GPU will have plenty of juice to do this; and with ultra-low latency).

In this virtual room you'll render a rudimentary version of the original PSVR headset with its respective lights.

The virtual PSVR1 headset would be zeroed to the optimal spot relative to the virtual camera/s in the virtual room (done any time via an option in the PS5 overlay). From this point, any movement on the PSVR2 headset will be mapped into this virtual room and relayed in turn to the 3D camera feed as if the PSVR1 headset was moving around. The Sense controllers would be tracked just as they are now (via inside out) but their placement as virtual Move controllers (also with their respective ball lights) in the virtual room would always be relative to virtual headset in that room.

For games which both used and mapped the DS4 controller into them; this'd probably be the hardest part as there is no camera as standard, no triangular lightbar and most importantly: the DualSense isn't built to be tracked by the PSVR2. These may be the exceptions that'd require a per-title patch, but perhaps the inside out tracking of the headset could provide accurate-enough tracking based on its shape + the light ring in visible light (unlike the IR lights on the Sense controllers), paired with gyro/accelerometer for averaging/error correction. This too would then be mapped in relative to the headset in the virtual room; as a DS4 with its triangle light. On this note, Sony really should of stuck a few IR lights in the DualSense as a contingency for stuff like this (perhaps something for a "V2").

For games that just used the DS4 as a general input without it being in the game physically, that would remain a case of just tracking and mapping in the headset as before.

I can't recall if any PSVR titles implemented the camera feed itself into games as a vital mechanic, but if they did, you could mandate the PS5 HD/3D Camera for those few specific releases (as well as supporting the PS4 V1/V2 Cameras with the adapter as an alternative). You could even just provide the option to use one of these cameras anyway. Unlike the inside out tracking which lets you do what you want anywhere without a point of reference (wire-permitting), having that point of reference for PSVR1 games may be helpful.

In addition to the virtual dark room/camera feed... gyro, accelerometer [and other sensor?] data could be mapped to the appropriate curves and exposed to the PSVR software as it would have been before.

One glaring issue would be 3D-model / physical representations of the Move controllers in games. In most cases I doubt this would be hard to get used to and will likely not be game breaking, though I'd think patching in a basic model of a PS Sense controller wouldn't be that much work... As for representations of the DS4, I think the DualSense is close enough for it not to matter. This is an area where Sony could think ahead and have an option for devs to expose this model to the API for future platforms, where they could inject a new controller should it differ enough that it's needed. Any updated model/s could sit in firmware ready to be used by any legacy software.

I'm sure there are some other caveats and additional points to cover, but it seems like it'd be a strong jumping off point. And of course, like anything now, it could be refined over time. For eg. The virtual room and video feed alone could be optimised for the equivalent of ideal lighting conditions on the old PSVR1 setup. The virtual camera could be more optimal even.

The whole "let the devs do their thing and patch them for real next-gen experiences" approach didn't really work out. Just seems bizarre to me that something like, say... Wipeout Omega Collection with the most basic head tracking and no controller tracking, remains relegated to PSVR1 with its poor display. Not to mention having to have a PSVR1 and its breakout box hooked up to play it when you have a shiny new PSVR2 headset sat there, made effectively by the same company who published said seminal title.

* Edited a couple times...

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Looking forward to your thoughts. Looks like a fun FPS romp.

Im watching a little bit aof your stream and the game is looking pretty nice!

It's pretty damn cool so far but not without some VR jank, I got stuck in the geometry here and there and that was concerning but when I tested it to confirm that I really was stuck, I realized I could just teleport out of it. So yea, an issue but at least I can react better in the future.

All the spells are motion/gesture based, and it's not always accurate. Definitely something I will need to master but it's annoying when you're spawning a fireball instead of the bow and arrow. A simple weapon wheel or the spell elements on your belt would be much better IMO. One of the enemies in the tutorial was absolutely relentless, that's where the geometry issue cropped up and combat came off as really sloppy. That's also user error to a point because I'm getting used to the gestures.

The art style is fantastic so far and the game looks great in the headset. It's not Red Matter 2 level resolution but it's certainly not bad. I'd say maybe a touch below the level of Village? I didn't really notice any ghosting or blurriness but I'm also not super sensitive to it. COtM is the only game I can think of where it really stands out to me.

Climbing is handled wonderfully, super smooth and there's been quite a bit of it so far so I expect it to be reliable throughout. Movement speed is fantastic as well and the options seemed to allow for a lot of tweaking. Seems like there's no jumping though. That's a bummer for me, I absolutely love jumping in VR and it would lend well to combat. I just hate being glued to the ground in certain types of games.

Based on what I played, I think it's absolutely fair for $24.99, and depending on how the game goes, that might be a cheap as hell asking price. I'm curious what the coop is like. There's also NG+ and a Hardcore mode for the solo campaign.

edit- lol, YT algorithm automatically labeled the stream as Skyrim :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

PanzerCute

Finally got my headset back after a (very quick) repair from Sony. I should have done it like 2 months ago but I was too busy or lazy (or both).

Just purchased Hubris and I think Im gonna buy Ghost Signal too.

Even tho I have 25 games already, I still want to buy: Synapse, RE4, Legendary Tales, Vampire Masquerade, and many more.

Damn I missed this amazing system.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Finally got my headset back after a (very quick) repair from Sony. I should have done it like 2 months ago but I was too busy or lazy (or both).

Just purchased Hubris and I think Im gonna buy Ghost Signal too.

Even tho I have 25 games already, I still want to buy: Synapse, RE4, Legendary Tales, Vampire Masquerade, and many more.

Damn I missed this amazing system.
What was wrong with your headset?

I have tons of games for mine and I haven't played most of them yet. I now have backlog for VR games.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I played more of that Wizards game, in coop this time.

I am really digging that game, the gestures are much more accurate now. It was definitely user error on my part and the combat is no joke, the enemies are relentless and some are quite tough.

PanzerCute

I played more of that Wizards game, in coop this time.

I am really digging that game, the gestures are much more accurate now. It was definitely user error on my part and the combat is no joke, the enemies are relentless and some are quite tough.
How are the graphics? Heard it was too blurry but I dont really trust people on Reddit, too many lunatics expecting 5 AAA per month.

I played more today and damn its good to be back! Launched Runner and spent an hour and a half playing it: it feels like a Sega Naomi game and its so exhilarating to play!
Also tried Hubris and the graphics are pretty insane tbh. Hope the game delivers on the other fronts.

And I just finished downloading Ghost Signal: I think this one will be special.

People who say they cant find things to play on the headset are losers.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
How are the graphics? Heard it was too blurry but I dont really trust people on Reddit, too many lunatics expecting 5 AAA per month.

I played more today and damn its good to be back! Launched Runner and spent an hour and a half playing it: it feels like a Sega Naomi game and its so exhilarating to play!
Also tried Hubris and the graphics are pretty insane tbh. Hope the game delivers on the other fronts.

And I just finished downloading Ghost Signal: I think this one will be special.

People who say they cant find things to play on the headset are losers.
The graphics are great but the resolution causes it to be a bit blurry, it's not egregious though and I don't think it's a reason to avoid the game. Agree on reddit, absolute trash VR community.

I think the game is fun as hell, I really have the gestures down now and I just absolutely dismantle fools. The movement is great too but I think if you suck at fast paced VR, you'd probably get annoyed cause the combat can be relentless and you really gotta think quick and move.

It has some audio issues and gestures aren't always 100% accurate. I just streamed some no commentary and I feel like it's a good example of what the game is like once you get used to the controls.

SilentUser

The graphics are great but the resolution causes it to be a bit blurry, it's not egregious though and I don't think it's a reason to avoid the game. Agree on reddit, absolute trash VR community.

I think the game is fun as hell, I really have the gestures down now and I just absolutely dismantle fools. The movement is great too but I think if you suck at fast paced VR, you'd probably get annoyed cause the combat can be relentless and you really gotta think quick and move.

It has some audio issues and gestures aren't always 100% accurate. I just streamed some no commentary and I feel like it's a good example of what the game is like once you get used to the controls.

How's the coop part of the game? It isn't the main campaign, right? Is it meaty or just there to say they do have coop?

fart town usa

Gold Member
How's the coop part of the game? It isn't the main campaign, right? Is it meaty or just there to say they do have coop?
I did a a session on Friday and it was fun. We had to grab mandrakes and put them in various cauldrons, that would spawn a wave of enemies, I think it was 5 waves. Pretty mindless but fun all the same. I think some coop levels allow for exploration based on what I saw in a YT video earlier today. It's different from the solo campaign (I think).

I expect the solo campaign to run 10-12 hours based on where I'm at and the # of trophies attached to it.

PanzerCute

Thanks for your detailed answer fart town usa fart town usa ! Funny: I found one of your video before your post and thought that it was indeed you. Nice gameplay vids, really!

On my side I started Ghost Signal and I absolutely love it: the atmosphere, the musics, the gameplay systems, the well designed rogue elements, the evolutionof the spaceship... this really feels like you are directing a space opera and its really fascinating to play. And there is quite a bit of content if you want to upgrade everything!
It could have been prettier but damn this is really enjoyable.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Thanks for your detailed answer fart town usa fart town usa ! Funny: I found one of your video before your post and thought that it was indeed you. Nice gameplay vids, really!

On my side I started Ghost Signal and I absolutely love it: the atmosphere, the musics, the gameplay systems, the well designed rogue elements, the evolutionof the spaceship... this really feels like you are directing a space opera and its really fascinating to play. And there is quite a bit of content if you want to upgrade everything!
It could have been prettier but damn this is really enjoyable.
Appreciate that. That's what I mainly aim to do on YT; just get unedited footage out there for people to see.

Ghost Signal is great, I got it at launch and need to play more. I love all the small details that makes the galaxy feel lived in. It's almost like a mobile Mass Effect game in VR.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I picked up Bulletstorm last night and played a bit. I missed out on the original release, I fell out of gaming around that time frame.

It's pretty fun so far but not without issues. I actually think the visuals are fine, nothing mind blowing but they certainly aren't terrible. It does look a bit washed out though and I saw some cutscenes in a Eurogamer video that were completely washed out, not sure if the recent patch addressed that.

Main issue for me, and it drives me up the effing wall when games do this... I'm a lefty but can aim well enough with my right hand. I still prefer left hand though of course. This game allows you to make your left hand dominant but then it swaps the movement and camera controls. In what world does this make any sense? Who the F wants to control movement with the right analog stick? I reverted back to right hand dominant but my gun is holstered on my right hip and bullets on left. So I essentially have to cross my arms over to grab the gun with the left hand and then reloading is goofy cause it's the same thing with my right hand.

Developers who do this should be slapped. It's just so outrageously ignorant to me to not allow a simple customization option.

Outside of that, the enemies have terrible reaction to bullets but combat is responsive enough with kicking and sliding into enemies.

$40 is a tough pill to swallow though because there is no shortage of better shooters for less money.

I want to get back into The Wizards. That game is great but I bruised my finger playing over the weekend and want to let it heal. Low ceiling in my basement and I punched a furnace pipe. Oops 🤣😅

Last edited:

PanzerCute

Damn Ghost Signal really is fantastic. I already played 8+ hours, finished a few runs but I have still a lot of stuff to do! The different builds are really nice and make for diverse runs, the sound design and OST are great and the controls are spot on. What a great game and value for 20 bucks!

I played Hubris a bit more and I have mixed feelings: technically its amazing, gunplay is fun but the pacing is slow and the controls can be really a pain sometimes.

Oh and I finally received my glubular cluster 2: that thing really improves comfort and make the headset very stable.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Damn Ghost Signal really is fantastic. I already played 8+ hours, finished a few runs but I have still a lot of stuff to do! The different builds are really nice and make for diverse runs, the sound design and OST are great and the controls are spot on. What a great game and value for 20 bucks!

I played Hubris a bit more and I have mixed feelings: technically its amazing, gunplay is fun but the pacing is slow and the controls can be really a pain sometimes.

Oh and I finally received my glubular cluster 2: that thing really improves comfort and make the headset very stable.
What's painful about Hubris? Curious because at the upgrade stations I was pulling stuff from inventory and it was sloppy as hell. I then realized that it's context sensitive and you just reach over your shoulder and grab your resources for upgrade juice.

Tossing those jelly rope things are better when thrown underhand. That felt awful too at first cause it just wasn't working and seemed broken.

Just FYI in case those are some of your issues.

Edit- the biggest issue I had was a section in which you need to control some laser to carve something out of stone. That shit was haggard as F and seemed way more difficult/obtuse than it needed to be 😅

Last edited:
Top Bottom