• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Minsc

Gold Member
Played a couple of PSVR2 games and the only thing that impressed me so far was Pistol Whip. I hope there will be more games soon.

What games have you played? Hard to imagine RE8 not impressing, and both Tetris Effect and Demeo are two of the newest I'd add to my highly recommended, especially Demeo it really uses the VR well, but you may have already played it on another platform if you own other VR sets.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I've gotten 1s slower (T300) because now turns are REALLY SCARY, but now I'm way-way-way more consistent with my lap times. Once again, GT7 in VR is whole another experience and if it's 9/10 in 2D, in VR it's like 15/10 for the true depth of apexes alone.

I mean, after Laguna Seca chicane and full VR Nurb in VR I'll never return to 2D racing.

I couldn't go back to 2d racing again. I think with a lot of genres its easy to switch between the two, dependent on mood, but once you've raced in VR, its impossible to go back, given that it changes the entire experience profoundly. Like you say, judging the apex around the carousel in VR is wildly different, and more accurate to reality, than doing the same thing on a TV. I drove the nordschleife in a BMW M3 many years ago (badly) and I actually got flashbacks doing much the same thing in VR yesterday. It's so much more comparable to real life than 2d racing. I'm meant to be doing a track day at Brands Hatch in the summer, and I'm going to use GT7 to practice.

I can easily see VR e-racing becoming the dominant form of online multiplayer racing in the future.

Markio128

Gold Member
I couldn't go back to 2d racing again. I think with a lot of genres its easy to switch between the two, dependent on mood, but once you've raced in VR, its impossible to go back, given that it changes the entire experience profoundly. Like you say, judging the apex around the carousel in VR is wildly different, and more accurate to reality, than doing the same thing on a TV. I drove the nordschleife in a BMW M3 many years ago (badly) and I actually got flashbacks doing much the same thing in VR yesterday. It's so much more comparable to real life than 2d racing. I'm meant to be doing a track day at Brands Hatch in the summer, and I'm going to use GT7 to practice.

I can easily see VR e-racing becoming the dominant form of online multiplayer racing in the future.
I’d love to try the Brands Hatch track day (it’s my go-to track for testing new cars in the game), but it is a fair distance from where I live. I’m planning on giving Oulton Park a shot this year though. The ultimate experience would be to visit the Nurburgring one day - it’s definitely on my bucket list.

SilentUser

What games have you played? Hard to imagine RE8 not impressing, and both Tetris Effect and Demeo are two of the newest I'd add to my highly recommended, especially Demeo it really uses the VR well, but you may have already played it on another platform if you own other VR sets.
Great to see you are having fun with Demeo. It is such a special game, I always have a blats playing it with my friends. Too bad there is only one book left for us (Book V), which we already lost twice to the final boss lol

Minsc

Gold Member
Great to see you are having fun with Demeo. It is such a special game, I always have a blats playing it with my friends. Too bad there is only one book left for us (Book V), which we already lost twice to the final boss lol
Do you feel like they'll have any DLC or a sequel at some point? The game is so well made I feel like whatever project comes next from them would be incredible.

SilentUser

Do you feel like they'll have any DLC or a sequel at some point? The game is so well made I feel like whatever project comes next from them would be incredible.
If I remember correctly, they released two characters (bard and warlock) after the initial (release for PCVR and two books, too. All of them free. Also, I think there is skme sort of PvP available for PC or incoming, so I guess new books are not out of question.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I’d love to try the Brands Hatch track day (it’s my go-to track for testing new cars in the game), but it is a fair distance from where I live. I’m planning on giving Oulton Park a shot this year though. The ultimate experience would be to visit the Nurburgring one day - it’s definitely on my bucket list.

Brands is a great circuit, if a little old fashioned these days. If you do get the opportunity to do the Nurburgring, I definitely recommend it. It wasn't that expensive to book a slot when I did it, though it's probably a lot more now. Absolutely terrifying experience, but very glad I did it - though the M3 needed a lot of nursing home after we'd got done.

gunstarhero

Demeo: New favorite, so long Tetris was nice knowing you. Beats out Moss for polish with the awesome tutorial. I loved everything about it. The controls are so incredible and actually enhance the gameplay in a way traditional controls could never accomplish. I immediately was like give me all my sRPGs NOW as soon as I picked up my unit and saw the grid and saw how fun just movement was. And the room you're in is awesome, I was wishing I could walk around the house and it's unique enough I could totally get in to an adventure game with the level of graphics from the basement. Almost like a more stylized GotG-type house. But yeah, it looks like it will be so much fun. I love turn based strategy games, and the biggest problem I think I'll have with Demeo is just how bad it will end up making me want more games like it.
Wait… Demeo is a turn based SRPG?!? Like a Shining Force, Tactics Ogre or Triangle Strategy type of game? I thought it was some sort of weird multiplayer board game?

I need to know more!

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Wait… Demeo is a turn based SRPG?!? Like Shining Force, Tactics Ogre or Triangle Strategy type of game? I thought it was some sort of multiplayer board game?

I need to know more!

Demeo shares a lot of elements with sRPGs, yes. I did not say it was one, though in many ways it may be considered one. It just is so similar it makes me immediately see how fun sRPGs would be in VR. You control 4 units if you play solo - the units have movement ranges and 2 actions per turn. There's a large battlefield with enemies loot and you can powers/cards between floors of an adventure so there's leveling in a sense that your characters grow stronger. So I'd say it's very very similar to an sRPG just without a campaign / story to play along. It's basically traditional D&D which is in many ways like a sRPG at its core.

Minsc

Gold Member
I always just figured too small of an interest / too niche to get retail treatment, similar to Steam Deck. Also it makes returns too easy, and I imagine the return rate on VR sets is significantly higher than on most other electronics. At least if you have to deal with shipping back the return it seems a bit more trouble especially if you need to pay a decent amount to return it too, but I'm not sure, maybe Sony had free returns on it, no clue. But I guess PS VR1 had a retail presence so then why not VR2 as well.

scydrex

Demeo shares a lot of elements with sRPGs, yes. I did not say it was one, though in many ways it may be considered one. It just is so similar it makes me immediately see how fun sRPGs would be in VR. You control 4 units if you play solo - the units have movement ranges and 2 actions per turn. There's a large battlefield with enemies loot and you can powers/cards between floors of an adventure so there's leveling in a sense that your characters grow stronger. So I'd say it's very very similar to an sRPG just without a campaign / story to play along. It's basically traditional D&D which is in many ways like a sRPG at its core.
Ok. This sold me on Demeo. Just brought it for $30. I love D&D.

Minsc

Gold Member
Ok. This sold me on Demeo. Just brought it for $30. I love D&D.

Hope you enjoy it! I haven't even really played enough to be giving rec's but sometimes things are pretty clear when you've been gaming long enough and there's no way I won't enjoy this game.

It's not literally D&D just quite the homage to it. There's no THAC0 or AC or split classes etc, and no character creation, but there's the dice rolling, the way you explore levels and uncover treasure and monsters and the health/potions/spells, and the basement setting, it feels like something right out of a Stranger Things episode where they're playing D&D or perhaps more apt a Critical Role session the way you have the characters on the map and move them around etc. Obviously it's got a lot of the positive impressions from the multiplayer aspect, but depending on how much you enjoy strategy/RPG stuff I think you'd find the gameplay rewarding even alone.

scydrex

Hope you enjoy it! I haven't even really played enough to be giving rec's but sometimes things are pretty clear when you've been gaming long enough and there's no way I won't enjoy this game.

It's not literally D&D just quite the homage to it. There's no THAC0 or AC or split classes etc, and no character creation, but there's the dice rolling, the way you explore levels and uncover treasure and monsters and the health/potions/spells, and the basement setting, it feels like something right out of a Stranger Things episode where they're playing D&D or perhaps more apt a Critical Role session the way you have the characters on the map and move them around etc. Obviously it's got a lot of the positive impressions from the multiplayer aspect, but depending on how much you enjoy strategy/RPG stuff I think you'd find the gameplay rewarding even alone.
Ok cool. Will play it tonight or tomorrow. Been playing Horizon dlc. Have like a week without touching the psvr2.

Surfheart

I could barely test it yesterday as I had another friend trying the PSVR2 (he had a blast!), so all I did was the tutorial and reached that multiplayer hall (a subway, I think). Here are my initial impressions of the PSVR2 version:
1. Graphics are ok, it is pretty clear they are not those huge studios with lots of funding. And thats ok! I was relieved to see that the game isn't blurry 😅 and everything is is just fine. Somehow the graphics reminded me of 7 days to die, which I had a blast years agora despite the rough art and graphics.
2. Gameplay: I've tried it before on Quest 2. The gameplay shines, specially the gunplay. I know for a fact that I will die a lot getting nervous trying to reload a gun while being swarmed by the zombies lol having crossplay was a fundamental reason to buy the game, as I can play it with friends and that's where the fun will be, imo.
3. Others: sound is pretty nice and the story seems basic, but good enough. Can't wait to see and explore all the levels!
My first impression is very positive, I'm glad I bought it (I'm a sucker for coop games).

Thanks for the impressions, I’m tempted!
Was it a big step up graphically from the Quest 2?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Played a bit of Saints & Sinners Ch1 tonight. Game is awesome, reminds me a lot of ZombiU w/ crafting. I'm early on but am gonna start over, I didn't realize that supplies legit dwindle as each day passes, I figured it was just the game saying it but not actually doing anything behind the scenes.

Put a couple hours in Zenith too, actually had fun with it this time around, started a new character, last time I played was around launch on the PSVR. If anyone plays Zenith or wants to link up, holler at me. I'd like to stick with it and slowly build up a character. It's goofy/janky fun.

PSVR2 is so damn baller. I cannot wait to see what bangers we'll all be playing down the road.

SilentUser

Thanks for the impressions, I’m tempted!
Was it a big step up graphically from the Quest 2?
From what I remember, not much but I must play more before being able to correctly answer you that 😅 my first impression is this: if you already own the Quest 2 version, I don't think there's a compelling reason to buy it on PSVR2 unless you simply prefer the hardware in general. From the game's side, I don't see much reason. But, again, I only a brief time with it, so I could be wrong.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Played a bit of Saints & Sinners Ch1 tonight. Game is awesome, reminds me a lot of ZombiU w/ crafting. I'm early on but am gonna start over, I didn't realize that supplies legit dwindle as each day passes, I figured it was just the game saying it but not actually doing anything behind the scenes.
I'm at day 18 in my walkthrough and there's still plenty of stuff to scavenge 🙂

fart town usa

Gold Member
What did you guys play over the weekend?

I went back and did a bit of Village in NG+, man that game is good. I loved it flat but in VR, it's just so damn good. That first lycan onslaught, I was just spamming the grenade launcher like I was Arnie in T2, wrecking fools in the most casual way, lmao. I want to get back to S&S but the game is intense in a loot/resource type way, too mentally taxing right now, need something more chill.

I actually got some PSVR games; Operencia, grid-based turn-based dungeon crawler. That game is fantastic, a bit blurry but just super pleasant to play and great writing/voice acting. I also put like 40 minutes into A-Tech Cybernetic last night before bed. I am going to have so much fun with that game. Turbo B-Movie sci-fi horror schlock. Absolutely loving it so far.

Last edited:

I went back and did a bit of Village in NG+, man that game is good. I loved it flat but in VR, it's just so damn good. That first lycan onslaught, I was just spamming the grenade launcher like I was Arnie in T2, wrecking fools in the most casual way, lmao. I want to get back to S&S but the game is intense in a loot/resource type way, too mentally taxing right now, need something more chill.

I actually got some PSVR games; Operencia, grid-based turn-based dungeon crawler. That game is fantastic, a bit blurry but just super pleasant to play and great writing/voice acting. I also put like 40 minutes into A-Tech Cybernetic last night before bed. I am going to have so much fun with that game. Turbo B-Movie sci-fi horror schlock. Absolutely loving it so far.

Tetris Effect: Connected is so good in VR & a mellow experience if you want to relax. Gives off genuine Child of Eden vibes too.

Markio128

Gold Member
I’ve been playing GT7 using the super formula cars - really cool and intense races.

I’ve also been playing the Wild West levels in Pistol Whip - really awesome levels and I love the music.

Creed is decent as well, but I can only play for around 30 minutes before I’m knackered 😂

I’m super excited for walkabout mini golf, Red Matter 2 and Fisherman’s Tale 2. There are some great games coming soon. Hopefully Beat Saber isn’t too far away.

Minsc

Gold Member

I'll definitely second that Tetris Effect recommendation, as per my earlier impressions, the game is awesome in VR. I've read that when you redo that first Lycan onslaught you can actually take out the beared/Hagrid like guy with stronger weapons, did you get the chance to try that? I'm still working my way through the Heisenberg arena, near the end. It's fun to fight such large numbers of enemies, but at the same time quite depressing to see nearly all my excess ammo vanish away! Lol. But definitely looking forward to the end and running through again with upgraded stuff!

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'll definitely second that Tetris Effect recommendation, as per my earlier impressions, the game is awesome in VR. I've read that when you redo that first Lycan onslaught you can actually take out the beared/Hagrid like guy with stronger weapons, did you get the chance to try that? I'm still working my way through the Heisenberg arena, near the end. It's fun to fight such large numbers of enemies, but at the same time quite depressing to see nearly all my excess ammo vanish away! Lol. But definitely looking forward to the end and running through again with upgraded stuff!
You can definitely take him out/stagger him because that's a trophy in the flat version. I kept placing land mines at his feet but I didn't stagger him or anything. Most of the time I was just blowing up standard lycans.

Playing in VR a 2nd time is so much more seamless, even with the snapping during cutscenes. What I've been doing is looking to see where Ethan's hands are at and just lining up as appropriate, snapping is minimal, etc. Trying to get a solid/cinematic playthrough for YT.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
wmg_timeline_032023.jpg

Have to say, this graphic of the DLC from the upcoming Walkabout Mini Golf's post-launch support looks incredible! The various themes they picked for the DLC courses (which are included in the complete bundle) all sound really fun to play!

From Atlantis to Myst to El Dorado to Sweetopia and Upside Town and even all three upcoming DLCs at the end, they all look like they'd be a blast to play through in VR.

SilentUser

Played Village. Hopefully I will be able to play more of it today, it is a fantastic game and I adore every second playing it. Or maybe I will play After the Fall a little bit if my brother is available.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Played Village. Hopefully I will be able to play more of it today, it is a fantastic game and I adore every second playing it. Or maybe I will play After the Fall a little bit if my brother is available.
I'm gonna get ATF this thursday when I get paid. On sale for like $19 until the 11th.

I've heard it's kinda skimpy on content after a certain point but the idea of 4 player coop in VR, that shit sounds awesome. I'm actually making plans to do coop in Arizona Sunshine, same developers as ATF. I've heard Arizona Sunshine is rough but that's kind of to be expected with that era of VR.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm still so amazed by it. Thought it would be at least less interesting, but it is quite the contrary. Still have basically no interest in playing flat, I want everything to be VR from now on 🙈
I think the only games I'd still prefer in flaf is stuff like ER and maybe something like DMC.

Something like ER would be amazing but nothing exists in VR to show me what it'd be like. I know there's first-person frantic action games like DMC but I still feel like that'd be better flat.

Anything else though, yea, I want it in VR. I think of a fully fledged Dragon Quest in VR. Man, I'd be in heaven.

SilentUser

Damn, so many amazing titles. Come on, Sony! Remaster them all to the PSVR2, make a good use of the awesome features of the PSVR2 and call it a day. Heck, I honestly don't care paying 10 bucks for upgrades of the games I care, as there is some effort to be made. I would buy quite a few of this list.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I've been absolutely feasting on PSVR the past few days but I picked up After the Fall on PSVR2 today.

Please, holler at me if you want to link up, I'm dying to play this in 4 player coop with some fellow gaffers.

On a side note, Farpoint for PSVR is so awesome, got the Aim controller yesterday and put a few hours in. Linear as hell but man, crazy impressive production values and the gun play is divine. It gets hectic. A-Tech Cybernetic too, that game is so damn campy and somewhat janky but man, I am loving it. It's like an indie version of Doom/Dead Space. I'd love to see a PSVR2 port.

SilentUser

I've been absolutely feasting on PSVR the past few days but I picked up After the Fall on PSVR2 today.

Please, holler at me if you want to link up, I'm dying to play this in 4 player coop with some fellow gaffers.

On a side note, Farpoint for PSVR is so awesome, got the Aim controller yesterday and put a few hours in. Linear as hell but man, crazy impressive production values and the gun play is divine. It gets hectic. A-Tech Cybernetic too, that game is so damn campy and somewhat janky but man, I am loving it. It's like an indie version of Doom/Dead Space. I'd love to see a PSVR2 port.
Would love to play with you, but my lack of free time is killing me :( plus, our time zones might be very apart.

Btw, just one chapter of book V to complete Demeo. Oh man, such an awesome rode this has been! Hopefully me and my friends are going to win this time, we already lost twice to the boss lmao

SilentUser

PSVR 2: Sony wants to enable communication via hand tracking

Not a big fan of hand tracking, but at least that might mean some (future) games only using it could also be ported to the PSVR2.

Edit:it could be nice for some extra interaction and specially for those who can't use the controllers. That could be a nice way to improve accessibility.

Last edited:

Resenge

PSVR 2: Sony wants to enable communication via hand tracking

Not a big fan of hand tracking, but at least that might mean some (future) games only using it could also be ported to the PSVR2.

Edit:it could be nice for some extra interaction and specially for those who can't use the controllers. That could be a nice way to improve accessibility.
I agree!

It's fun seeing your hands in VR but hand tracking does not feel good for gaming or they have not found a good use for it yet imo. I think it could be usefull in some instances, I just have not played any hand tracking games where I would not prefer a controller instead of trying to make shapes with my fingers.

I believe hand tracking has a place in production apps maybe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom