• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Hoppa

Mine arrived! Spent about half an hour in it, the play area set up was awesome. I put the controllers on to charge before I give it a proper go, but had a few rounds of GT7 and I can confirm that it is incredible! I’ve never played VR before and honestly I didn’t really expect it to be as immersive as it is. The dashboard has like a 3D kinda effect? But feels great, I’ve never had motion sickness before but it does feel like I am in a moving vehicle. I’m not much of a driving game person, I hate driving in real life lol but seems like everyone getting VR2 GT7 is in for a treat

The included earphones are not great and the rubbery bit on the headset itself is flimsy and has no firmness to it at all, was a bit hard to find the right adjustment setting for the headset to not appear blurry but got there after a bit of fiddling.

Back to work for the next 3 hours :lollipop_content:

Edit: I can’t claim my code for Horizon either. I think the unlock time is synced up with the US which is silly

Last edited:

phaedrus

Back to work for the next 3 hours :lollipop_content:
sick day GIF

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Why did no one tell me about Les Mills’ Body Combat???
Seriously though I don’t recall this being mentioned at all in launch games.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How are you guys going to store your PSVR2 when not in use? On display? In a box? I thought I read somewhere that it's best to keep it in a box to prevent dust on the lens or sunlight but would prefer to keep it on display

You definitely don't want to leave it anywhere where sunlight might reach it. The lenses will focus the sunlight and burn the display, causing permanent damage. Definitely best to store it somewhere dark. The box it comes in is made for also easily storing it in, so I would just use that.

I guess if you make sure that the lenses are pointed away from any windows it should be fine to keep it out in the open, but yeah, you also obviously want to minimize dust accumulation.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

This guy is a hardcore PCVR guy and says that PSVR2 is like having an HP Reverb G2, but with an OLED screen, better colors, and better FOV and edge-to-edge clarity. I'm assuming the better edge-to-edge clarity is do to Eye Tracking Foveating Rendering.

He said the Frenal Lens does have god rays and the sweet spot is small. So there's trade-offs.

He even said he prefers kayak vr in psvr2 vs 2k$ Varjo Aero because of how good oled colors are.

Crayon

Where did you read that?

I was printed small on the top of the ups tracking page. It looks like I can change the delivery address or even sign ahead of time? brb.

Edit: Evolved1 Evolved1 okay I'm back. I had to sign into the ups site so I could you "my choice" or whatever that is. I tried to change the delivery address, but when it went to text me a verification pin, something went wrong and it didn't work. So I used the option to sign ahead of time and let god sort it out.

Last edited:

Surfheart

Picked up my headset this morning, the chromatic abberartion is really bad not sure if its the way it is or my headset is dodgy. I have a quest, Quest 2 and original PSVR and they weren't anywhere near as bad

Crayon

Picked up my headset this morning, the chromatic abberartion is really bad not sure if its the way it is or my headset is dodgy. I have a quest, Quest 2 and original PSVR and they weren't anywhere near as bad

I listened to reviews till I was sick of hearing about the thing and that never came up. Can you get the sweet spot crystal clear in the center? Shit I wonder if that happens when you get a bad lens or something.

Surfheart

I listened to reviews till I was sick of hearing about the thing and that never came up. Can you get the sweet spot crystal clear in the center? Shit I wonder if that happens when you get a bad lens or something.
I can get it clear but any high contrast stuff like white text has red fringing that no matter how I adjust the headset I cannot get rid of it

ABnormal

So it’s a pretty solid launch lineup but personally the touted “lots of surprises” didn’t really turn up.
Those "lots of surprises" could be anything: The inclusion of games previously slated for some future release in the launch lineup, the announcement of loved games like Wingman and Wanderer, etc.
People just let imagination run wild at any word.

ABnormal

If you want to avoid CA you have to be sure to adjust the distance from eyes to screens well. It has to be in the sweet spot (usually is close, but it depends). The more is far from there, the more the image goes out of focus and CA shows.

consoul

Got in a couple of games before work.

GT7 plays beautifully and buttery smooth. It's the same game, though being in the car makes it feel quite different. I found myself glancing at the mirrors much more than I do on flatscreen and when cars are coming up behind you, sensing their headlights in your periphery on either side of the car really gives the feeling of them being there. Haptics are good.

Kayak VR looks great. It'll be a good experience to show non-gamers and the racing seems fun.

I can't seem to get Resident Evil Village to start in VR mode. It boots into flat mode and any option I pick from the main menu is met with a message saying that mode is not supported with the VR Sense controllers. Is the VR update not public yet? I'm on the latest version.

Last edited:

ssringo

I can't seem to get Resident Evil Village to start in VR mode. It boots into flat mode and any option I pick from the main menu is met with a message saying that mode is not supported with the VR Sense controllers. Is the VR update not public yet? I'm on the latest version.

Everything I've seen says February 22nd so probably not updated yet. IIRC the original Village had a midnight EST release so maybe in ~3 hours?

Last edited:

SilentUser

How are you guys going to store your PSVR2 when not in use? On display? In a box? I thought I read somewhere that it's best to keep it in a box to prevent dust on the lens or sunlight but would prefer to keep it on display
Inside the original box... inside a big drawer I have just under the PS5.
Mine should arrive tomorrow as it is already in my city, but they couldn't afford to deliver it to me one day sooner 🙄

consoul

I'm in Sydney, so it's already Wednesday afternoon here, but yeah it's probably gonna unlock in a few hours.

ssringo

Probably overnight whatever timezone your in. Mine appears to be up US East.
I'm in the same area and see the same stuff but have no way to check if it works. I suppose I could boot the game and see if there are options...

Edit: Nothing in the game about VR that I could see. Just on the store page and game info.

Last edited:

Hawk269

I am starting to hear the same thing from actual owners that got the headset early. Other things are it gets really blurry on the sides. Hope it is just a matter of adjusting the headset to hit that sweet spot.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I am starting to hear the same thing from actual owners that got the headset early. Other things are it gets really blurry on the sides. Hope it is just a matter of adjusting the headset to hit that sweet spot.

Think it's just a sweet spot thing, I haven't really heard this to be a widespread issue. The video above talks about the sweet spot being small, but if you set it up properly it looks fantastic. Perhaps some people aren't getting to the sweet spot?

TIGERCOOL

hearing abysmal first impressions too. On Ree not a single poster who has their hands on a unit have much good to say about the display. Maybe all the early reviews saying the image quality is great have set expectations too high... very strange that such glarring issues would be almost completely ignored by almost all major outlets.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
hearing abysmal first impressions too. On Ree not a single poster who has their hands on a unit have much good to say about the display. Maybe all the early reviews saying the image quality is great have set expectations too high... very strange that such glarring issues would be almost completely ignored by almost all major outlets.

It seems like this stems from not having headset properly adjusted, from what I can tell.

Hawk269

It could be that the people using it (actual owners/not reviewers) are not finding that sweet spot. I have had several different VR headsets and this can be an issue until you get it adjusted just right. I doubt reviewers would lie or fabricate how good it is if it wasn't....so I am feeling that is what the issue is. I will find out tomorrow when I get my headset. But this is one of the reasons I wish these were available at Best Buy. If it turns out it is not great you can easily return it to a retailer, but I don't think you can if you are dissatisfied with the headset via Sony Direct...at least for those in countrie where it was only available on-line.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Song in the Smoke Dev weighs in on the topic

I've literally run Song in the Smoke on PSVR1 and PSVR2 simultaneously, swapping headsets to see the difference, and the clarity difference is insane.
One of the reasons we went so hard on remastering the game was because the clarity showed off EVERY rendering flaw or shortcut in the game. LODs were INCREDIBLY noticeable. In PSVR1 SITS, rocks are popping into their highest level when you're like five feet away. On PSVR2 we changed the transition to 50% of what it was. Still noticeable. 25%. Still could see it in the distance. I think we finally got it to 10%. If you REALLY look for it in the grass you can see a transition (and we had to push it back AGAIN after we turned on eye-tracked foveated rendering because that made things even sharper).
Also noticed that a bunch of the small foliage was floating over the terrain in the original game, but nobody noticed because of the low resolution! I think I got them all but there might be some left.

Also had to re-UV a bunch of assets because you could see smearing up close on the detail textures that we added (there's 3 levels of detail textures that crossfade depending on distance). When you get up real close to a rock (which is all the time) you'll see nice 4096's on there to give you surface detail that wasn't there before (and is so fine it doesn't appear on Youtube, to my disappointment).

R6Rider

Gold Member
Didn't realize RUNNER was already available. Just bought that ($17) too.

Also, RUNNER comes with the OST app and it's fucking cool. Can cycle modes, backgrounds, etc. and even have the DualSense haptics in sync with the music. Very nice!

Last edited:
Top Bottom