• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation: Xbox's Call of Duty offer was "inadequate on many levels"

Aenima

Microsoft did not need to offer anything regarding COD in the first place, Jim
They need cuz they are afraid the regulators block the aquisition. Thats why Spencer PR lies sound like "we all about giving player more options, and there will be less exclusives in the future" when in the backstage they working to remove multiple previous multiplatform games from other consoles.

But aparently this forum loves this shit, while MS fucks up the videogame industry, ppl are clapping, YAY more games available on my piece of plastic, that was already available on my piece of plastic anyway but you cant play them anymore in your piece of plastic.

onesvenus

Nope. Sony never took off massive third-party IPs like Microsoft did, just because they couldn't produce their own.
The reason why they do that does not matter. Sony has make exclusive deals with massive third party games. It's obvious they aren't anything like CoD because there's only one of those but talking like Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, etc are not big is crazy

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They explicitly mentioned competing consoles that covers Xbox.

The actual quote from the original interview itself is extremely vague and does not mention any platforms by name at all tho. For all we know, Jim is counting the PC community playing Destiny 2 as a "rival platform", some of the fans certainly do.

"The first thing to say unequivocally is that Bungie will stay an independent, multiplatform studio and publisher. Pete [Parsons, CEO] and I have spoken about many things over recent months, and this was one of the first, and actually easiest and most straightforward, conclusions we reached together. Everybody wants the extremely large Destiny 2 community, whatever platform they're on, to be able to continue to enjoy their Destiny 2 experiences. And that approach will apply to future Bungie releases. That is unequivocal.

cormack12

Gold Member
Put me in the wrong camp. Wow. To actually put it that bluntly has convinced me it will become xbox exclusive.

Hands up, never thought I'd see the day.

Time for the apex legends etc to step up. Personally I think a good counter move but be getting counter strike on ps5 as exclusive.

GHG

"I hadn’t intended to comment on what I understood to be a private business discussion, but I feel the need to set the record straight because Phil Spencer brought this into the public forum," Ryan stated.

The Office Thank You GIF

Exactly what I said in the other thread. Shit like this is meant to be kept private but Phil insisted on taking it public to try and sway regulators via the media. Zero tact.

Jim, tell him to get fucked.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
"Call of duty will never be exclusive. They can't afford to lose the revenue from Sony."

"Call of Duty will never hit Game Pass. Too expensive."

"We know we said it with Bethesda as well, but with Call of Duty deal is different. It was more expensive so therefore the revenue is more important from Sony this time."

charlton heston laughing GIF

Last edited:
Lol Sony is the main platform that takes away games from gamers
On a permanent basis? Nope. They do not buy IP and permenelty take it away from userbases that enjoy them.

Temporarily? For certain games? Yes. That is an entirely different thing that the competitions and marketing authority looks at.

Kudos to Jim for telling it like it is

"It's inadequate"

"We believe in generations"

"We're increasing the price of the PS5"

What a hero.
Lmao Phil’s response needs to be its inadequate that you took a popular franchise like Spider-Man that’s was on every platform and made it exclusive. Matter fact activision ironically use to make it. Oh they even have an exclusive with companies we own for god sakes ghost wire and Arkanes game is still exclusive to PlayStation. What more does Jim want ?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
"I hadn’t intended to comment on what I understood to be a private business discussion, but I feel the need to set the record straight because Phil Spencer brought this into the public forum," Ryan stated.

The Office Thank You GIF

Exactly what I said in the other thread. Shit like this is meant to be kept private but Phil insisted on taking it public to try and sway regulators via the media. Zero tact.

seems like Phill told Jim to get fucked…

Mr Moose

Lmao Phil’s response needs to be its inadequate that you took a popular franchise like Spider-Man that’s was on every platform and made it exclusive. Matter fact activision ironically use to make it. Oh they even have an exclusive with companies we own for god sakes ghost wire and Arkanes game is still exclusive to PlayStation. What more does Jim want ?
Activision's Spider-Man is available on Xbox.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Should Phil also mention the time when MS had the option to make the Spider-man game, but turned it down?

Last edited:

Jigga117

Making a timed exclusive DLC and taking a game away from a console is not the same thing. According to this, Microsoft started that bullshit btw.

Good luck to those who will play a COD game on cloud servers or pay 2 times more than a console to play a game.

I thought that Microsoft would make it free day one on Gamepass. I think it's more than enough for atracting gamers to your console, if you don't want to destroy your rival.
I am fully aware MS did which is why I said circle of life. It is what it is. Jim and people need to accept what happens happens just like when it happen for Xbox Gamers losing the first tag to Sony then. MS doesn’t own Sony or any other company sympathy just like Sony didn’t care when it came to making games from companies they bought exclusive for their benefit let’s stop with the overall concern about gamers when the majority will go where they will go to enjoy what they got. if Sony bought Activision this wouldn’t go the way they are trying to make this go now.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Sony bought Bungie and confirmed all existing and new Bungie games to be released on Xbox, even without any regulatory pressure.
Guarantee it was part of the key persons retention clause. Bungie has always been able to dictate some level of independence even through acquisitions. We all know this isn't Sony being gracious.

Last edited:
Ooooowee...
"Call of duty will never be exclusive. They can't afford to lose the revenue from Sony."

"Call of Duty will never hit Game Pass. Too expensive."

"We know we said it will Bethesda as well, but with Call of Duty deal is different. It was more expensive so therefore the revenue is more important from Sony this time."

charlton heston laughing GIF

I can't breathe! Lmmfao

The Office Thank You GIF

Jim has nothing to bargain with, he and PS don't want this deal to go through that's the only reason he's saying it's inadequate. I can guarantee when the acquisition goes through Jim will be hoping Phil offers this deal, hopefully Phil still gives them the same deal even though Ryan is a dick.

Banjo64

cumsessed
The Office Thank You GIF

The CMA and EU equivalent will 100% take a dim view on the recent Xbox posturing.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Marvel went to Sony and literally handed them the exclusive. It was because of Sony's first party pedigree did they get a shot at Spiderman and Wolverine.

They need cuz they are afraid the regulators block the aquisition.
No, what they wanted to do to is make the deal pass faster. Regulators cannot block the deal simply because we have a full fledged Nintendo platform that has close to 0 games from ABK and doing just fine.

splattered

Maybe the plan is COD only gonna be around for a few more years, so MS guaranteed them through the remaining life of the franchise. Perhaps Sony doesn't even know this and throwing a fit over nothing?

MarkMe2525

I really can't see the Phil Spencer PR gotcha moment that several users are commenting on. Spencer is quoted as saying that they offered continued Call of duty releases for "several more years" as several is commonly used when referring to 3-5 of any given thing.

Ryan's clarification is something we already knew, granted he did provide extreme clarity to the statements.

Last edited:
No, what they wanted to do to is make the deal pass faster. Regulators cannot block the deal simply because we have a full fledged Nintendo platform that has close to 0 games from ABK and doing just fine.

So do you think Nintendo would do fine without Mario, Pokemon or Zelda then?

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Xbox fans so annoyed about that exclusive content that they think taking away those games entirely from Playstation is perfectly fine and equal to what Sony did. Sweet revenge.

Idk How To Tag This Clash Of Clans GIF

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

The Office Thank You GIF

3Ve3n73.gif

yurinka

Yes, what I said it's exactly what Bungie and SIE said: Bungie is now a 100% owned SIE subsidiary that will report to Jim Ryan.

They will have creative freedom, as their PS Studio development teams also have, but unlike them Bungie will keep publishing multiplatform using the Bungie publishing label, not under the PS Studios publishing label, even if SIE owns both publishers.

It's basically the same MS did with Bethesda: Bethesda continued publishing their post acquisition games as Bethesda, as it's the case of Deathloop on PS. Not as Microsoft Game Studios.

PS exclusives soon all releasing on PC
Sony said multiple times they don't plan to release new games on PS+PC. They even shown graphs showing that they will increase their number of new PS only games released per year and that the amount of old games ported to PC per year will continue being smaller than the amount of new games released for PS only.

So the amount of PS only games will increase over time, not decrease.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Thinking a little more on the subject, it makes sense that Sony would deny the offer as it would only assist MS regarding the regulatory response to the purchase of Activision. Sony would look complicit in the purchase if they accepted such an offer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom