• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please, Gaf! I need help with Cyberpunk + RTX 3070 @1080p/2k.

Athreous

Hey, Gaf!

I just got myself a rtx 3070 (I know I should've waited, but I'm anxious as fuck and ended up getting that GPU from a friend...)

So, I'm trying to reach 60 fps, with settings as high as possible, with ray tracing as high as possible, in either 1080p or 2k (upscaled, my monitor is an Asus 248QE 144") but I'm failing really bad.

I watched some youtube videos showing some configurations, but I'm hardly getting 50 fps... in both resolutions, so I really don't know what I'm messing up.

Please, can you guys help me getting the max from the game with my setup?

Ryzen 5 3600x
RTX Asus Tuf 3070
SSD XPG Spectrix S40g, 512gb
Windows 10

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Uh, try not setting anything beyond high first, RT or not, see how it performs then

Last edited:

Hugare

Watch this video

Putting all settings on High/Ultra is just wasting performance for almost no gains in terms of visuals

This game is very heavy on CPU, maybe you wont reach 60 FPS no matter what. And even if you do, there are some very demanding areas where your FPS will tank.

Lock it at 48 FPS (divides evenly by 144 hz) and you'll get pretty fluent gameplay with no cost to visuals

You dont want 60 FPS on a 144 hz display anyway. You'll get bad framepacing. Unless you have Gsync.

Last edited:

Athreous

Watch this video

Putting all settings on High/Ultra is just wasting performance for almost no gains in terms of visuals

This game is very heavy on CPU, maybe you wont reach 60 FPS no matter what. And even if you do, there are some very demanding areas where your FPS will tank.

Lock it at 48 FPS (divides evenly by 144 hz) and you'll get pretty fluent gameplay with no cost to visuals

You dont want 60 FPS on a 144 hz display anyway. You'll get bad framepacing. Unless you have Gsync.

Oh, I do have Gsync I think
But I'll check those settings from DF, tyvm!

op22

When I was looking for a video card last year, the consensus from the articles I read said get a 3060 for 1080p/60fps/ultra, 3070 for 1440p/60fs/utlra, 3080 for 4k/30fps/ultra and 3090 for almost 4k/60fps/ultra.

Last edited:

Banned
first of all, use DLSS,

here are my settings that I use for a mostly stable 1440p 60fps on my RTX3060ti (edit) and Ryzen 5600X

on your 3070 you should be able to push raytracing further maybe,
the other settings are mostly done according to Digital Foundry's optimised settings.

mUJVcDd.png

edit: quick vid with these settings:

Last edited:

Banned
> Crowd density : Medium .

3600x couldnt run high crowd density 60fps stable iirc .

Use dlss .

good call, with his CPU every thing that helps free it up should be used, I didn't even think about that setting... it's weirdly on another screen and not the graphics settings...

Athreous

first of all, use DLSS,

here are my settings that I use for a mostly stable 1440p 60fps on my RTX3060ti (edit) and Ryzen 5600X

the other settings are mostly done according to Digital Foundry's optimised settings.

mUJVcDd.png

Running these settings give me almost 60 fps @ 2k, but once I was on the streets and it was running, my fps dropped to 28 =(

Banned
Running these settings give me almost 60 fps @ 2k, but once I was on the streets and it was running, my fps dropped to 28 =(

try running the same settings at 720p or even lower (no dlss) and turn antialiasing completely down. and see how the framerate is then.
your CPU might be a bit too weak for some settings.

even my CPU gets cooked in some heavy scenarios like driving around the central area near the first apartment

Last edited:

Banned
I loaded an old save near the beginning to see in a busy street how I'm faring with my settings on the newest version (which I haven't played that much)

the top image shows my CPU usage and GPU usage on the right. I'm really close at being CPU limited here (maybe I already am, since CPU usage % doesn't really mean much when one thread gets maxed and hammered hard)
hI7TdAA.jpg

ktYdLD2.jpg

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Its the CPU holding you back.
Turn down the crowd density to free up some resources.

At 1080 an RTX3070 with maybe volumetrics and shadow distance turned down should be a near locked 60.
With every set to high with RT a 3070 should be in the 40 - 50s.
So with a few settings dialed back 60 should be easy work.

Im guessing you just forgot that before Variable Refresh Rate monitors we had Variable Refresh Rate monitors which let you pick a refresh rate from a number of them.

The panels max speed might be 144, but it has a 60Hz mode, probably a 120Hz mode too.
The refresh rate doenst dynamically change but the panel itself can be set to different refresh rates.

In reallty VRR should have been called DRR, Dynamic Refresh Rate, because have variable refresh rates on a single monitor was a thing pretty much all my life, they just didnt change on the fly.

Hey, Gaf!

I just got myself a rtx 3070 (I know I should've waited, but I'm anxious as fuck and ended up getting that GPU from a friend...)

So, I'm trying to reach 60 fps, with settings as high as possible, with ray tracing as high as possible, in either 1080p or 2k (upscaled, my monitor is an Asus 248QE 144") but I'm failing really bad.

I watched some youtube videos showing some configurations, but I'm hardly getting 50 fps... in both resolutions, so I really don't know what I'm messing up.

Please, can you guys help me getting the max from the game with my setup?

Ryzen 5 3600x
RTX Asus Tuf 3070
SSD XPG Spectrix S40g, 512gb
Windows 10
Is DLSS enabled?
Is REBAR enabled?
Do you set PCE to PCI-3x16?

You can do everything ultra (+all RT on ultra) with DLSS balanced/performance at 1440p.
CPU is not that important as everyone said.

Banned
Is DLSS enabled?
Is REBAR enabled?
Do you set PCE to PCI-3x16?

You can do everything ultra (+all RT on ultra) with DLSS balanced/performance at 1440p.
CPU is not that important as everyone said.

CPU in Cyberpunk is definitely a big factor once you use Raytracing, and even without RT if you use the high crowd density setting you will get into CPU limited scenarios.

my 5600X gets absolutely hammered by this game in some scenarios.
so a 3600 will definitely get into CPU limited situations, ReBAR can give a few FPS uplift but it won't suddenly fix every performance issue

edit: DLSS Quality + RT + Medium settings on OP's exact parts

Last edited:
CPU in Cyberpunk is definitely a big factor once you use Raytracing, and even without RT if you use the high crowd density setting you will get into CPU limited scenarios.

my 5600X gets absolutely hammered by this game in some scenarios.
so a 3600 will definitely get into CPU limited situations, ReBAR can give a few FPS uplift but it won't suddenly fix every performance issue

edit: DLSS Quality + RT + Medium settings on OP's exact parts
I'm not saying that CPU is not important. It's not that important. Even in vid you posted GPU goes 96-99% which means it's GPU limited. I've played it with 8700K without any problems. Or AMD CPUs are way slower in this game?
Also nighttime in CP2077 is very GPU demanding.

Last edited:

PeteBull

I'm not saying that CPU is not important. It's not that important. Even in vid you posted GPU goes 96-99% which means it's GPU limited. I've played it with 8700K without any problems. Or AMD CPUs are way slower in this game?
got oced 8700k here and indeed, we can play it at stable 60 fps here and gpu will be botteleneck(its bottleneck even with my 3080ti if i go overboard with settings), but the guy has r5 3600 so he will be cpu bottlenecked in cpu intensive scenarios especially if he ticks on settings that stress cpu a lot(crowd density and rt too:p)
Edit:
Here proof r5 3600 and rtx 3070 vid, gpu usage sometiems goes down into 70% and still min fps is at 41fps(prolonged periods too, when driving so not even crazy stresstest but normal gaming scenario)

Last edited:

Banned

AMD only fully caught up with Intel when they launched Zen 3.

there's also no way this guy in the video is GPU limited.
I run higher settings than that on a 3060ti and get better FPS

Denton

For RT, CPU is crucial. Ryzen 5 is about the only Ryzen that can handle 60fps with RT enabled in Cyberpunk (or Watchdogs, and other open world RT games).

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

With crowd denstiy set to max, and a bunch of sims going on the 3600 will absolutely be a massive massive bottleneck.
He could be playing at 720p and still see drop below 60.....which is pretty much whats happening.

OP can hit 60 and does at times, but when they go outside and crowd sims activate their FPS tanks, no amount of DLSS is going to save that, but simply reducing crowd density will gain a few percent, lower shadow/AO and volumetrics and a locked 60 is all but guaranteed.

Kenpachii

RT eats cpu's 3000 series isn't much faster then 8000 series on intel. U need 5000 series or 11000/12000 ( my 9900k heavy oced drops a few times below 60 in crowded area's to low 50's ) to get 60 locked with RT.

Another thing nvidia didn't told you when they pushed RT.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Perfect topic since i'm doing a second run on this game aswell.

I have a little problem, sometimes the game has random slowdowns (like it goes to 2-3 frames per second) that last like 3-4 seconds, sometimes they are not random, like when i open the map, or when i finish speaking with a character or when i do fast travel, but never during gunfights or action scenes, so it is strange.

I locked the game to 30 because this time i wanted to see the game at max detail in 4k, and i never had thse problems when i did the first run at 60 frames.

My pc: 2070super, 8600k no-overclock, 16 gb ram ddr4 3200, pretty slow ssd.

I play everything on max except all the stupid effects like blur, chromatic aberration, etc. and rtx disabled (but sometimes i lower some details to use some rtx just to see the "staggering" difference)
Crowd density is also on high, not ultra.

What graphical effect can cause random slowdowns like that?

Last edited:

Filben

Oh, I thought that my cpu was ok
It is. It's just that few games and few occasions in CP2077 are too demanding for maintaining 60fps throughout the game. It's not very common though but will increase over the next years. Still, most games should be fine.

If you hit the bottleneck occasionally you have two options:
a) live with it in that instance
b) cap your FPS so you have overall less FPS but a more consistent performance throughout the game.

CP2077 specific, you can try to decrease crowd density in the settings (it's not under graphics, though, but under gameplay options).

Sadly, most graphics settings are GPU bound, which gives you plenty of scalability for your GPU. Very few settings reduce CPU stress, so there's little you can do about that. Mostly, it's increasing the graphics increase GPU load and cap FPS so you're CPU gets more headroom.

Dampf

Have they changed how crowd density works with Patch 1.6/1.5? I feel like having crowd density on medium is now like high, and low like medium before the patches.

Feel your pain although I’m not massively surprised. Running it on a 12700K and 3080 with similar results. Getting high 50s outside and 60-70 inside.

Are there any recommended settings available? Using medium RT and a mix of high and some ultra settings.

GymWolf

When do you people say ultra setting what do you mean?? Because majority of my setting goes as high as...well high.

Like i have no ultra setting for the texture...

With crowd denstiy set to max, and a bunch of sims going on the 3600 will absolutely be a massive massive bottleneck.
He could be playing at 720p and still see drop below 60.....which is pretty much whats happening.

OP can hit 60 and does at times, but when they go outside and crowd sims activate their FPS tanks, no amount of DLSS is going to save that, but simply reducing crowd density will gain a few percent, lower shadow/AO and volumetrics and a locked 60 is all but guaranteed.
If it's like that that's pretty much how CPU bottleneck feels.

Op reduce resolution and see if it helps - if your performance changes very little between 720/1080/1440 than you are CPU limited for sure. Also CP2077 is sensitive to RAM bandwidth.

My graphics card is about as powerful (RTX 2080 Ti) and I certainly am not playing with RT on, it just isn't worth it for not much the framerate drops even on a faster CPU. Even if you don't mind the low framerate things like using DLDSR (in combination with DLSS maybe) to downscale from a higher render resolution will make a much bigger visual improvement especially on such a low resolution screen.

I would also say that is a poor monitor to be using in combination with a powerful card. Lack of VRR is an issue and you just aren't going to get good visuals regardless of how powerful your graphics card is or how much ray-tracing you can enable.

Yeah, same fps with 720/1080/1440, so it's prolly my cpu =(
I've had 8700K and usage was extremely high so you are CPU bottlenecked. But there are still good ways for you to play.
You know - CP2077 has poor picture quality at DLSS Performance or even Balanced. Does your monitor supports VRR? (Freesync or G-Sync)? If yes than it's all not a big problem - I have same GPU and play only on DLSS quality setting (at 1440p) and got 38-45 fps. Still very beautiful and playable. Also you have a 1080p monitor so enable supersampling in Nvidia control panel (DLDSR):
- go to NVCP -> 3D settings -> set DSR and check '1.78x' and '2.25x' settings (and uncheck everything else that's not DL) -> set DSR smoothness to 100% -> apply
- run the game and change resolution to newly added. try both and choose one that will not tank your FPS.
- enjoy your bullshot-quality Cyberpunk 2077

You can do this with all games if you have free GPU time to spare.

Solution 2: (if your monitor not support VRR)
Why you want 60fps? why not 50 or 40? I know that 30fps is unplayable but anything from 40 and even 35 is waaaaaaaay better than 30. Change the refresh rate to 80-100hz and play at half-frame rate! Or set it to 50hz (available by default) and play at 50fps.

Another question OP - do you have a PCI-riser card in your case? I'm asking because when I bought my 3070 after 2070Super performance was the same if not worse. Turns out that I have a PCI-riser card in my case that only supports PCI gen3 x 8 but It was set to PCI gen 4 by default, LOL. This led to very poor GPU performance. Just saying.

Last edited:

coastel

first of all, use DLSS,

mUJVcDd.png

Exactly this I've a 3060 ti and a 12400f ddr5 6000 and I've found DF reccomend settings to be good and ray traced reflections to be better than the lighting, so with a 3070 you should crank dat shit up a bit more.....if the cpu allows it

Thos wondering I get 52fps in mega buildings and a pretty much locked 60fps elsewhere (lg cx) not honestly felt any bad drops.

Last edited:

Banned
Exactly this I've a 3060 ti and a 12400f ddr5 6000 and I've found DF reccomend settings to be good and ray traced reflections to be better than the lighting,

I am an avid Screen Space Reflections hater, so for me RT reflections is always a godsend

Athreous

I've had 8700K and usage was extremely high so you are CPU bottlenecked. But there are still good ways for you to play.
You know - CP2077 has poor picture quality at DLSS Performance or even Balanced. Does your monitor supports VRR? (Freesync or G-Sync)? If yes than it's all not a big problem - I have same GPU and play only on DLSS quality setting (at 1440p) and got 38-45 fps. Still very beautiful and playable. Also you have a 1080p monitor so enable supersampling in Nvidia control panel (DLDSR):
- go to NVCP -> 3D settings -> set DSR and check '1.78x' and '2.25x' settings (and uncheck everything else that's not DL) -> set DSR smoothness to 100% -> apply
- run the game and change resolution to newly added. try both and choose one that will not tank your FPS.

Why you want 60fps? why not 50 or 40? I know that 30fps is unplayable but anything from 40 and even 35 is waaaaaaaay better than 30. Change the refresh rate to 80-100hz and play at half-frame rate! Or set it to 50hz (available by default) and play at 50fps.

Another question OP - do you have a PCI-riser card in your case? I'm asking because when I bought my 3070 after 2070Super performance was the same if not worse. Turns out that I have a PCI-riser card in my case that only supports PCI gen3 x 8 but It was set to PCI gen 4 by default, LOL. This led to very poor GPU performance. Just saying.
OMG, how do I check that?

mhirano

Don’t you mean DSR smoothness to 0%? 100% is like vaseline filter, extremely blurry.

Top Bottom