• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

kris.

Banned
aaaaand now both of my parents are playing this. we all just went on a walk to the like 6 pokestops down the street. this is officially weird af guys

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I now believe Nintendo didn't what to do mobile because they wanted everybody to have a fair chance against them.

Now it's world domination. Should've bought the Wii U fellas.

Naw, but I'm glad that my sisters are willing to go on walks and runs with me now. Even if it's just an excuse from them to catch them all

any excuse is a good excuse.

Wazzy

Banned
Bwhahahah this guy was trying to takeover the gym near my house so I waited until he beat it then put another Pokemon back in. Then he beat that and took over with a vaporeon but his was weaker than mine so I booted him again and I think he gave up lol

YoungNeil

Neo Member
This game has been getting me out to run at least a 10k every night just to hit pokestops and catch pokemon. I'm actually amazed that it's the best motivation I've had in a long time. Also caught a Dratini in my backyard last night.

Tawpgun

The pokemon leveling in this game is incredibly dumb.

There NEEDS to be a way to level CP without hoping you run into a pokemon. A rare low level pokemon is damn near useless.

I'm currently sitting on a 102 eevee that is ready for evolution in hopes of finding a 200+ eevee

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Game seems entirely borked at the moment. The last 3 catches the pokeball does nothing and the game just locks to it sitting there, presumably the servers leaving the catch status in total limbo.

Sucks shit because a rare Koffing was one of the catches and I had to quit out. They had so long to get this right and Niantic still come off like a fly by night outfit's first barely working game.

Is it working , having connecting issues
South Texas here

Won't go past Google login

I am in Australia with the same issue
At a wild guess a key server is borked and if you are out of the app your cannot login and if in, it's just crappy. Been so for the part 1.5 hours at least.

Alienous

Just in time for the NX launch window.

tumblr_lkfhpg4LZu1qh59n0o1_500.gif

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This game has been getting me out to run at least a 10k every night just to hit pokestops and catch pokemon. I'm actually amazed that it's the best motivation I've had in a long time. Also caught a Dratini in my backyard last night.
I've been thinking about the gamification of fitness ever since trying fitocracy and certain elements of myfitnesspal.

After a week with this, I'm completely convinced at how powerful a tool it can be for motivation and, I don't even know what to call it, but like you forget that you're getting exercise and want to do more (sometimes many more times during the day than you otherwise would...)

I actually think I'd really love an AR game focused more intensively on fitness aspects. I have a Microsoft Band that tracks all kinds of metrics when I work out. And there are tons of open standards/APIs for heart rate monitors. Let me do an arm and shoulder workout and have that increase the strength of my character in a game.

Guys I didn't think I'd see her ever again. So I lied to her to make myself not seem like a loser. :c I told her I live in my own apartment, go to University, and I own this nice car. I live with my parents, I actually don't attend school right now, and My car is a POS and the car I was driving was my sister since mine was taken by my father to get an oils change.

GAF do I never contact this grill again? Cause I don't want her to know I'm a liar. :c

Fuckin cake. Alright, so what you do is talk to her, and at some point come clean, but you need a convincing reason. My recommendation is to say you were dishonest because you had read about people getting robbed/mugged while playing Pokemon GO and didn't want to give too much personal information until you got to know people. Say that, then crack a joke, crisis averted.

KingBroly

Banned
Can't wait until Legendaries and Mystics become Event Pokemon.

Then they'll have One-Time Purchaseable Master Balls for $10. 95% of people waste them on a Pikachu or miss entirely

batfax

My mom just texted me with questions about the game/Pokemon. She spends a lot more time out of rural areas, so she's actually able to catch things unlike me and I can only imagine that soon enough, her level will far exceed mine. Also, for those interested, she picked Charmander.

The most she ever played before was card games and Wii Bowling.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Ran into a 550CP Kingler, game locks up on me when I catch him. Any word on what they're doing to fix this? I don't think I'm going to spend anymore money until 1 out of 20 catches lockup instead of 3 out of 5

Hmm, this game is getting pretty popular, but I will not fall for the hype! Nothing will make me download it, not even Eevees, even though they are my favorite! :3 No Eevees, I mean it!

Okay maybe a few Eevees will convince me to download it.

Tawpgun

Can't wait until Legendaries and Mystics become Event Pokemon.

Then they'll have One-Time Purchaseable Master Balls for $10. 95% of people waste them on a Pikachu or miss entirely

I wouldn't mind since I'm in a major city, but it kinda fucks over people who aren't.

Unless they figure out a way to make it so like, one legendary will spawn within every 5 mile block

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Fuckin cake. Alright, so what you do is talk to her, and at some point come clean, but you need a convincing reason. My recommendation is to say you were dishonest because you had read about people getting robbed/mugged while playing Pokemon GO and didn't want to give too much personal information until you got to know people. Say that, then crack a joke, crisis averted.
Eh that's another lie. The actual truth isn't that horrific... plus how does lying about owning a nicer car insulate him against being robbed?

If this is real, say you have to tell her something embarrassing, and that you wanted to impress her and made some stuff up. But if she is still interested in a date, you promise it won't happen again.

annnnnnd there goes my unbroken streak of never, ever providing dating advice on an internet forum.

THANKS, POKEMON GO.

Pendas

Banned
Ran into a 550CP Kingler, game locks up on me when I catch him. Any word on what they're doing to fix this? I don't think I'm going to spend anymore money until 1 out of 20 catches lockup instead of 3 out of 5

The games been locking up on Poke'ball throw for the last hour for me.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The games been locking up on Poke'ball throw for the last hour for me.

I mean, its the exact worse possible time for a lockup too. The joy of catching a hard enemy, POOF. And restarting the app usually has the Pokemon as caught but nole, not this awesome Kingler.

Pilgrimzero

Finally went to my local gym (a church) and chose Blue. Gym is owned by a red. Who's Pokemon thrashed mine.

Is it worth going to an opposing gym if you don't have a Pokemon to rival one at the gym?

So I finally hatch a 10KM egg!

While it was hatching my daughter was like let me see! I showed her and when the Pokémon came out she was like eww! What is that?!

It was a Jynx. With 260 CP while I was level 9. Should I max it or save the dust?

hirokazu

Sometimes when the game freezes while doing that, you actually caught the Pokémon on the server-side. Depends on your luck (probably whether the server determined that it escaped the ball or not while the app was frozen).

Tell her your gamerscore. That will do the trick.

she didn't seem impressed. :/

Is it too low?

I'll try this. Sounds legit enough to work. :D

Finally went to my local gym (a church) and chose Blue. Gym is owned by a red. Who's Pokemon thrashed mine.

Is it worth going to an opposing gym if you don't have a Pokemon to rival one at the gym?
No. If you can't beat the gym you should just level up some Pokemon until you can. Even if you somehow piled a bunch of weak Pokemon in and beat the gym you'd be leaving a Pokemon that would get beaten quickly and the gym would get retaken.
she didn't seem impressed. :/

Is it too low?

I'll try this. Sounds legit enough to work. :D
You didnt really do this right? This is fake right? You're fucking with me, right?

Pendas

Banned
I mean, its the exact worse possible time for a lockup too. The joy of catching a hard enemy, POOF. And restarting the app usually has the Pokemon as caught but nole, not this awesome Kingler.

Yeah it's not an issue on easy Pokemon, but on a hard one it's a pain...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn these Valor scum took 2 gyms back downtown...I'll definitely reclaim 2 after work tomorrow.
Ha, my groujp and I uttered the phrase "Valor scum" many times last night XD
I wish you could see an area map that shows like a five mile radius around you of all of the gyms and pokestops. If you don't live in a big city those are far and few between.
This!!! I wonder how many people think they have no stops near them at all but there's actually one just beyond the range of the initial camera view. I wonder what they'll do.

Lol my girlfriend told me to "stop fucking texting me". Apparently there is a scyther nearby. Laughing so hard.
Wait what

udivision

I really wanna know what the roadmap of this game is.

I think this unexpected success will probably warrant an increased scope.

I feel like Nintendo being Nintendo, their reaction to how they can help (fund) Niantic's further development will primarily be based on the game's reception in Japan.

I am new to this game(Just downloaded it today) and got the first Pokemon(Charmander) I was wondering, as a newbie, this game can ONLY be played outside right? Because when I try walking in the house with my phone the person I created, she doesnt move, she moves a step or two but goes back to the original spot so I assume this game can only be played outside so I have to walk around in order for her to move and catch Pokemon?

ramyeon

So if weight and height matter so much, how do you guarantee getting an XL Pokemon when you evolve it? I will often have an XL base Pokemon that becomes XS once it has evolved. Is it just completely random?

Top Bottom