• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet New Trailer has Dropped, releasing November 18, 2022

Kssio_Aug

I skipped the last two pokemon games, I might get this one, since it has co-op. The fun of pokemon games for me are the new designs.
I think this is one of the core points why I have lost pretty much all desire to play Pokemon games. Differently than you, for me, the Pokemon designs are pretty much getting worse or more uninteresting each gen. I still think Gen 1 and 2 were, by far, the best designs we ever had. I guess I'm a nostalgic fan. If at least the new Pokemon made me excited to play, but unfortunately this isn't the case.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Looks like another fun adventure! Can't wait. I think they fixed the faces a little since they look more closer to the art style/anime again.
Also, GIGACHAD PROFESSOR. I know which version I'm buying even if the Legendary is inferior.

Sadly, with the increase in customization to the protagonist, they do kind of lose their identity. I don't think they needed to go further than Sw/Sh, but oh well. It's only one generation for now.

Lethal01

The character artstyle looks like a huge downgrade from sword and shield which did a great job of capturing the look of the original art.

I don't care about the graphics, the aesthetic is getting worse.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Once again new Pokemon gets announced and people go on and on about bla, bla ,bla graphics but once the game comes out majority of people don’t care and end up enjoying the game.

Didn’t we go through that with Pokemon arceus already?
The power of the nintendo switch in all it's glory
Pokémon games is not really presentation of Switch‘s power.
42f81330deadf14c3ce25e0fa836f95a3da452d8.gifv

Elysion

Banned
That female professor looks noice. And the male one really does look like Gigachad, lol. I especially like his super serious expression. "Listen son, when I’m done with you, you won’t be needing your pokemanz anymore, because you will be the one who’s wrestling with charizards and dragonites."

Also, why do the player characters have to look like pre-schoolers? Why can’t they look at least like teens, like in some of the earlier games? This girl here looks pretty cool, I wish our character could look like this:

I really don’t like having to play as what looks like a six-year-old.

Also, the lack of voice acting is really distracting at this point. Silent characters don’t really work anymore, especially in an open world rpg. And I genuinely don’t understand why some of the textures are so ridiculously low res. The Switch has 4GB of RAM, that should be more than enough for some decent textures. I sometimes wonder if Gamefreak’s graphics department is still operating under the assumption that they’re developing for the N64 with its tiny 4KB texture cache, lol.

At least the legendaries look ok this time, especially that cyber dragon thing. Wish they’d introduce a new ‘cyber’ type.

Last edited:

kondorBonk

On the older titles it wasn't a problem, but it's just really weird now.

The overall lack of sound in general is weird.
It's soooo weird. Why go through the effort for all that lip movement? I wouldn't mind even grunts during dialog like in Zelda games where you at least get an idea of their voice sound/mood. That really helps you subconsciously fill in the gaps.

Just nothing with such a strong focus on the lips is sooo incredibly jarring to me for some reason.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Pokémon took on digemon and won, you see pro trainers collecting and battling Pokémon, gamers are familiar with its graphics and gameplay switch and Pokémon is the perfect combo but it’s time for some serious graphical hardware upgrades.

Filben

Man, why do these Nintendo games of my childhood like Pokemon and Harvest Moon looks so fucking ugly now? The pixel look back then and even today hold up well and looks charming!

If you can't do proper 3D graphics, then let it go and make something retro/pixelated/stylised, for fuck's sake.

Edit: And no voice acting at all, not even simplified versions of the written sentence. Really looking like an indie project with little to no budget now.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

Once again new Pokemon gets announced and people go on and on about bla, bla ,bla graphics but once the game comes out majority of people don’t care and end up enjoying the game.

Didn’t we go through that with Pokemon arceus already?
I think people play because they don't have much choice, other than don't play at all. But the franchise sure as hell deserves a better treatment overall. Pokemon games are not really bad, they're just stuck on the past basically.

Pokémon games is not really presentation of Switch‘s power.
With this, I entirely agree though.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I think people play because they don't have much choice, other than don't play at all. But the franchise sure as hell deserves a better treatment overall. Pokemon games are not really bad, they're just stuck on the past basically.
I'm far from being Pokemon fan, I never once played Pokemon game in my entire life, mostly because I'm much more in to Shin Megami Tensei and Monster Hunter games when it comes monster catching/battling.

But entire discussion is becoming super repetitive, its feels like every time new Pokemon games gets announced bunch of A.I load same type of arguments simulation we had with last Pokemon game. Its pretty clear neither GameFreak or majority Pokemon fans care about the graphics as much as gaming forums do.

Saber

Gold Member
Lol the 3D models of the legendaries look like Digimon Tamers anime evolution 3D models lmao

Digimon could even sue Pokemon for Ursaring evolution, because is more akin to an existant Digimon with the same theme(Grizzmon I think).

Javthusiast

Banned
Worse in improvement than CoD. Decades of these yearly games and I still wait for a true open world Pokemon rpg with a budget.

Fake

June 1, 2022

Announcement of Junichi Masuda’s Appointment as Chief Creative Fellow

The Pokémon Company is pleased to announce the appointment of Junichi Masuda as its Chief Creative Fellow, effective June 1, 2022.
Junichi Masuda has served as the Managing Director at GAME FREAK inc., the original creator of Pokémon, until May 31. As one of the founding members of GAME FREAK, he was involved in the development of “Pokémon Red Version and Pokémon Green Version,” supporting the development of the subsequent Pokémon video game series for many years. Masuda will utilize his deep understanding of the Pokémon brand to develop new services and products at the Pokémon Company, tapping into his years of experience and creative thinking.

Comments from Junichi Masuda
I have served as the director of the Pokémon video game series, starting with “Pokémon Ruby Version and Pokémon Sapphire Version” up until “Pokémon X and Pokémon Y,” and was involved in the development of many video games, including Pokémon GO. I would like to express my heart-felt thanks to all Pokémon fans.
Going forward, I hope to transcend the boundaries of video games by trying to offer greater surprises, fun and excitement to people all over the world, while doing my utmost to connect people, expand the circle of “play” and to help bring about a richer world for us to share. I appreciate your continued support in my new role.

Last edited:

AetherZX

Worse in improvement than CoD. Decades of these yearly games and I still wait for a true open world Pokemon rpg with a budget.
This implies they don't have a decent one, and based on TPC's financials, that seems to be dead wrong.

Probably says something when Pokemon Go eclipses main series profits and is the biggest driver of such.

Jsisto

Incredibly underwhelming. Theres just no excuse for the lack of voice acting for an IP of this caliber at this point. It was so glaring in this trailer. They showed very little of the actual locations in any detail, and that says a lot at this point. Arceus, on its surface, was a huge step in the right direction, but the more I played it was clear they were just barren landscapes filled with hordes of the same Pokémon and very little to do. This looks like more of the same. Would love to be wrong, but if there was a lot more to show, I’d think they’d want to show at least some of it.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I know it's always said, but Gamefreak could be doing so much more style-wise to cover up their graphical weakness.

This actually looks really good, I definitely agree. Good art direction can make up for not having high tech graphics, it reason Atlus games look good despite not being high tech.

RayHell

Pokemon is the highest grossing media brand in the world with total revenue over Star Wars, MCU, Mario, Disney Princesses, Mickey Mouse and yet it just look slightly better than a Roblox Game.
Can you imagine the scandal if a Zelda game came out looking like this ?
Pokemon junkies can be served a turd and they will still love it like it's gold because there's a new pig with a funny name.

AetherZX

Pokemon is the highest grossing media brand in the world with total revenue over Star Wars, MCU, Mario, Disney Princesses, Mickey Mouse and yet it just look slightly better than a Roblox Game.
Pokemon junkies can be served a turd and they will still love it like it's gold because there's a new pig with a funny name.
Highest grossing means absolutely nothing.

But entire discussion is becoming super repetitive, its feels like every time new Pokemon games gets announced bunch of A.I load same type of arguments simulation we had with last Pokemon game.
When you used to love something so much it's hard seeing it in such a poor state. Just avoid the threads if you're that tired of it because I will bitch about how incredibly shit GF is for eternity

Robb

Gold Member
Looks great imo, I like the color pallet of this one and the Pokémon designs actually look somewhat grounded.

GinSama

Still doesn’t beat the of Sugimori art ……looks pretty bland…. Will probably buy… no ideia why….

SegaShack

An incredibly ugly Zelda game came out in 2011. The game was terrible too.

TheTony316

I'm far from being Pokemon fan, I never once played Pokemon game in my entire life, mostly because I'm much more in to Shin Megami Tensei and Monster Hunter games when it comes monster catching/battling.

But entire discussion is becoming super repetitive, its feels like every time new Pokemon games gets announced bunch of A.I load same type of arguments simulation we had with last Pokemon game. Its pretty clear neither GameFreak or majority Pokemon fans care about the graphics as much as gaming forums do.

There's nothing much else to talk about tho. It's a Pokemon game. It's like Fifa and Madden. Granted, they finally changed up the formula after 2 decades but don't expect anything new for the next 10+ years.

Fbh

Why spend $100 million when you can spend $10 million and sell the same amount of copies anyway.

This is Pokemon in a nutshell, and why it's not worth it anymore to get upset.
As long as these games continue to sell nothing much will change. And this thing will sell like 15 million units.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
This is Pokemon in a nutshell, and why it's not worth it anymore to get upset.
As long as these games continue to sell nothing much will change. And this thing will sell like 15 million units.
100% and it's 15 million copies at full price which for most games would be 5-10 million at full price and 5-10 million at bargain bin prices.

Kssio_Aug

Pokemon stadium/battle revolution looked great

Pokemon by game freak looked a lot better with sprites. GF should not have transitioned to 3d
agreed misha collins GIF

I would change this shit 3D style the new Pokémon main games have for 2D sprites any day. Would probably even be cheaper for them. Or at least go back to Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire looks instead. Way more charming than whatever this is...

Last edited:

Fbh

100% and it's 15 million copies at full price which for most games would be 5-10 million at full price and 5-10 million at bargain bin prices.

Yup. That's one important factor people forget when comparing other franchises to Nintendo games.
It's different selling 15 million units after a few years in the bargain bin for $20 than selling most copies at full price. And they'll probably have a season pass like Sword/shield so there will at least be a couple million people paying $90 for the whole thing.

Ryu Kaiba

Looks like they ditched the Arceus mechanics which is what made this entry seem like it was going to be something special.

supernova8

Banned
I persisted until the 3DS titles, but now I can't anymore. Seriously, they need to shake things up... Switch is capable of way better looking games. They still not even bother with voice acting. This trialer was...

Cabin Fever Reaction GIF by chuber channel

I know Game Freak will not move a finger to change it though. I'm sure the game still gonna sell like hotcakes.
Yeah just imagine the return on investment. They must be absolutely raking it in.

Top Bottom