• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Direct 1/9/2020

cabbage5k2

Of course.

Not the direct I was hoping for but D/P remakes and Pokemon Home?

Probably will include that, haven't seen much other pokemon speculation for this year besides Detective Pikachu 2. So I'm thinking there are spin-offs being announced that no one would have thought of being here. That, or literally twenty minutes for Home and a minor tease of something else at the end of the direct.

Saruhashi

Banned
So what do we think?

Final Smash character is a Pokemon?
Some kind of Ultra Sword and Ultra Shield type thing? Maybe DLC?
Probably a considerable update to Pokemon Go?

Jooxed

Gold Member
So what do we think?

Final Smash character is a Pokemon?
Some kind of Ultra Sword and Ultra Shield type thing? Maybe DLC?
Probably a considerable update to Pokemon Go?

DO they do Pokemon GO in directs? Hoping for DLC expecting 20 minutes about Pokemon Home and Sleep.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I forgot they announced a Detective Pikachu a while back too. We will probably see something about that?

garballax

there's still at least one gigantamax form that haven't been released: Toxtricity. i'm guessing we'll see that (hopefully a timeframe as to when they'll be available) and some news about Pokémon Home and Sleep. fingers crossed that we can battle in Home.

Shaqazooloo

Forgot about Pokemon Home, I really need that to come out.

I don't know what else they can talk about, I don't expect any major Pokemon game announcement for Switch, Sword and Shield only came out 2 months ago.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Are they gonna tell me to buy HOME to put the Pokemon I have on my 3DS in...but that I can't use on the newest game?

STAY TUNED TO FIND OUT!

Jacknapes

Probably more information on Pokemon Home and Bank.

Would they announce another Let's Go type game this close after Sword/Shield?.

Ryu Kaiba

If the next Pokemon Generation isn't something special I'm gonna just go back to ignoring this series for another 10 -15 years.

I had some fun with sword and shield but so many of the new designs are terrible, and the games haven't evolved almost at all mechanically. so much of it is such a waste of time.

Zannegan

Guys, I don't want to get overhyped, but I'm pretty sure they've heard the negative fan feedback for Sword and Shield and they're releasing this Direct in panic mode to announce the all-new Pokemon game they made in the BotW engine that features free-roaming exploration combined with the classic turn-based battle system we love, full online co-op, all 1001 Pokeforms with fresh models and animations. There's just too much smoke for there not to be a fire...

... for a throwaway joke, that hurt more than it should have to type. Anyway, what a disappointment for their January Direct to be Pokemon-centric right after the release of a mainline game (guaranteeing that it won't be anything substantial).

I'm calling a token expansion of S&S rosters, Detective Pikachu 2 game for late this year, a Detective Pikachu re-release on Switch this summer (with some movie nods, like actor likenesses), this Pokemon Home thing that I was completely unaware of until opening this thread, and the announcement of a Detective Pikachu movie sequel for their one last thing. All good things, but a letdown next to the potential announcements of a general Direct.

Don't forget that Xenoblade Chronicles X was announced in that legendary January Direct, with the glorious mech gifs that were spammed for months after. Good times.

Last edited:

its_Ditz

I have not played a Pokemon game since Ruby/Sapphire on GBA, so I do neither care about the franchise nor am I, let´s say, "knowledgeable" enough.

So I am genuinely asking: how high are the chances this Direct is kinda a response to the negative feedback Sword & Shield got?

Jooxed

Gold Member
I have not played a Pokemon game since Ruby/Sapphire on GBA, so I do neither care about the franchise nor am I, let´s say, "knowledgeable" enough.

So I am genuinely asking: how high are the chances this Direct is kinda a response to the negative feedback Sword & Shield got?

Slim to none, It's probably about their new Pokemon Bank service.

Ascend

Pokemon Sword/Shield is the first gen I didn't get. Can't say that I'm interested. I guess I care just enough to leave a reply.

RealGassy

Banned
Sword & Shieldo sold too well for anything of the sort to happen.

I wish it was called a regular Direct, people would tune in all excited, but instead all they would reveal is the Pokemon box online storage service which costs 10$ month to store pokeymans transfered from all your pokeman games.

I'm hoping for gatchas and microtransactions. Please don't disappoint.

Nintendo probably doesn't have anything worthwhile till Q3 as per usual.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned

Possible but I think they only thing they could do to fix that now is to periodically add new Pokemon to the world.
I doubt they'd be able to do something like a graphical or performance overhaul.

Stitch

Gold Member
Pokemon Go Plus + (seriously dumb name) and Pokemon Sleep were announced last summer and are supposed to come out this year so it could be about them.

Fbh

And you know what Pokemon fans would complain and still pay for it.

Of course they would.

Nintendo fans would probably come out to call it a great move too.
"If they locked the missing pokemon to some third version of this game that would be another $60 you'd need to pay. But I think most people don't like ALL the missing pokemon and just want a few of their favorites back which they can probably get for like $30...so this is much better and cheaper"

Shaqazooloo

I still think a general Direct might happen this month. Quite a few game specific directs take place within 2 weeks of a general direct. I mean, the Pokemon Direct in 2016 was followed up by a general Direct 5 days later, so it wouldn't be unheard of.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I still think a general Direct might happen this month. Quite a few game specific directs take place within 2 weeks of a general direct. I mean, the Pokemon Direct in 2016 was followed up by a general Direct 5 days later, so it wouldn't be unheard of.

They are probably separating Pokemon from a much larger Direct. Makes sense to me that way.

-----------------

All I can see coming out of this is a Pokemon Home sales pitch. Which unless we can transfer all the Pokemon we can't use will only have value to overzealous Pokemon Breeders.

Top Bottom