• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Direct 1/9/2020

Grrrr, pretty face avatar troll....

- selling new Pokemon as DLC

Wrong. You can trade for all the new Pokemon without paying for the expansion pass. No DLC required.

Without the DLC, there would be no new Pokemon. You're implying gamefreak would have just added these Pokemon for free if the DLC didn't exist. Not the case.

- forcing fans to pay for 2 passes

Wrong again. You only need to buy 1 pass to get the new areas. One pass gets you the Isle AND the Tundra.

And when you switch cartridges you have to pay 30 more bucks ... just for some few different trainers and Pokemon.

- suddenly game-wide open area is possible

????? WTFTM... Yeah, it's there. I don't get the significance.

If you don't understand it, why call it wrong? Cringe

- 30 bucks per pass

Only one pass for whichever version you're playing. I guess I can count this as "true" since it is $30 for the pass.

30 per pass, see above.

- Dungeons looks like 3DS-game

That's an opinion. I could lazily make the claim that most Switch games look like PS2 games. Doesn't make it true.

No, it's fact. Calling most Switch-games looking like ps2-games is trolling. Dungeons looks like a 3DS-game running on a emulator in hd. You can find videos of Sun/Moon running on emulator on youtube.

The lengths to which you go to dismiss criticism ...

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You don't even need any DLC to get the Pokemon.

SOMEONE has to buy it to get access to those Pokémon, and it's not like everyone's going to wait for that one person.

Just because you don't need to buy it doesn't mean they aren't locking Pokémon behind a paywall. The guy you called a liar was correct on two fronts. It's $30 per pass, I dunno why you tried to call him out on that when it's true.

Jooxed

Gold Member
SOMEONE has to buy it to get access to those Pokémon, and it's not like everyone's going to wait for that one person.

Just because you don't need to buy it doesn't mean they aren't locking Pokémon behind a paywall. The guy you called a liar was correct on two fronts. It's $30 per pass, I dunno why you tried to call him out on that when it's true.

Incorrect they stated they were doing even'ts to distribute these Pokemon for those they don't buy the DLC

I trust the modders to improve Sw/Sh better than Gamefreak. If GF eventually releases a texture patch, expect them to charge you money for that.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Incorrect they stated they were doing even'ts to distribute these Pokemon for those they don't buy the DLC

Can you give me a timecode where they explicitly state that all pass Pokémon will be available via events to everyone? Can't find it.

iconmaster

Banned
It's good to see Game Freak addressing Dexit.

giphy.gif

StormCell

Without the DLC, there would be no new Pokemon. You're implying gamefreak would have just added these Pokemon for free if the DLC didn't exist. Not the case.

And when you switch cartridges you have to pay 30 more bucks ... just for some few different trainers and Pokemon.

30 per pass, see above.

No, it's fact. Calling most Switch-games looking like ps2-games is trolling. Dungeons looks like a 3DS-game running on a emulator in hd. You can find videos of Sun/Moon running on emulator on youtube.

The lengths I go to dismiss baseless criticism. You're outrageous.

StormCell

I am sorry because we like a game and don't go to any lengths to trash talk it like 90% of your posts here? Get a life.

I don't even like the expansion pass, and yet I'm not going to pretend that Game Freak is hiding more pokemon behind paywalls and requiring players to buy 2 expansion passes to get a complete experience UNLIKE some outrageous posters.

Fake

On twitter people are pushing this 'you pay two for $30' for no reason, but in reality is indeed $30 for each DLC:

You need to have the proper base game as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They went from charging $40 dollars for this content to $90 gotta say

Bravo, Milk em

More like they used to charge $80 ($40 base game, $40 "improved" version a year later) and your progress wouldn't carry over, and now it's $90 for expansion content that adds on to your base game, but still doesn't give you quite as many Pokémon to use.

Jooxed

Gold Member
You aren't much of a fighter either lol
I mean, no matter how you twist people gonna need the DLC in order to others to have acess to old mons. But hey, "get a life" = I win, you lose.

At the end of the day there is no need to get upset over digital monsters.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Eh, yeah, agreed.
And although it's a shitty ideal, they HAVE sold their base product; so any extra work done to keep the game updated or fix problems missed during development is nice if free, and pretty standard in today's market to charge for.
There are many many business programs that follow this type of model. Quickbooks comes to mind (Major accounting software), and the Sage series.
Hell Intuit charges you just to get an update for the new years tax laws if you don't full on purchase their new yearly software

That...is kind of expected? Why you would expect to buy two copies of something and buy 1 thing that can be simultaneously used by both?
This is has been a normal standard for a while now, and applies to many different products and industries.

Eh...you're being incredibly nit picky with the language Ninty used in that direct. They didn't say "Oh, we didn't put this in before, and now we're doing it with DLC," sort of stuff. They announced it like any product; hey we had this feature before, and we're expanding on it.

Could you yell phrasing? Sure. Everything has to have a basic iteration before being expanded upon.

30 per pass, see above.
People who bought both games just for the sake of catching all the pokemon are silly; especially in the era of trading via internet. Also
"see above."

Can I see your pixel by pixel analysis of the 3DS games in comparison with the footage in the direct?
Mind you, the footage revealed in the direct is subject to change :)

The lengths you're willing to go to shill your Twitter instead of just copying and pasting your text....
The lengths you're willing to go to be completely obsitent and not have any meaningful conversation....
The lengths you're willing to go for your opinion to be unequivocally right....

Etc etc.
Anyways, minding stop throwing shit and have a intelligible conversation?

Ryu Kaiba

More like they used to charge $80 ($40 base game, $40 "improved" version a year later) and your progress wouldn't carry over, and now it's $90 for expansion content that adds on to your base game, but still doesn't give you quite as many Pokémon to use.
They'll still release something in the fall probably a Lets Go Johto and make even more

Eh, yeah, agreed.
And although it's a shitty ideal, they HAVE sold their base product; so any extra work done to keep the game updated or fix problems missed during development is nice if free, and pretty standard in today's market to charge for.
There are many many business programs that follow this type of model. Quickbooks comes to mind (Major accounting software), and the Sage series.
Hell Intuit charges you just to get an update for the new years tax laws if you don't full on purchase their new yearly software

That...is kind of expected? Why you would expect to buy two copies of something and buy 1 thing that can be simultaneously used by both?
This is has been a normal standard for a while now, and applies to many different products and industries.

Eh...you're being incredibly nit picky with the language Ninty used in that direct. They didn't say "Oh, we didn't put this in before, and now we're doing it with DLC," sort of stuff. They announced it like any product; hey we had this feature before, and we're expanding on it.

Could you yell phrasing? Sure. Everything has to have a basic iteration before being expanded upon.

People who bought both games just for the sake of catching all the pokemon are silly; especially in the era of trading via internet. Also
"see above."

Can I see your pixel by pixel analysis of the 3DS games in comparison with the footage in the direct?
Mind you, the footage revealed in the direct is subject to change :)

The lengths you're willing to go to shill your Twitter instead of just copying and pasting your text....
The lengths you're willing to go to be completely obsitent and not have any meaningful conversation....
The lengths you're willing to go for your opinion to be unequivocally right....

Etc etc.
Anyways, minding stop throwing shit and have a intelligible conversation?

So basically all the points I mentioned in my tweet are correct. Gotcha.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
So basically all the points I mentioned in my tweet are correct. Gotcha.
You've missed my point, so I'll be more direct.

It's not that you're right, it's that you're squawking about things that are completely standard and have been practiced for quite a while, as well as when you put some basic linear logic checks against make it clear that you're just kind of complaining to...well, complain, and that nothing you're really complaining about is new, and just how it is.

I mean you can keep chanting shit everyone already knows like you're a prophet and with the gospel, but it's really a bad look.

-=-=-
Anyways, although I hate the mentality of what they're doing, I'mma buy it regardless.
And only once because I'm not an idiot who doesn't understand you can trade over the interwebs lol

I'm actually really excited for the "Catch legendaries in caves," thing

Fake

If you want to experience ALL of Pokémon SwSh's content, you would have to buy

• both versions of the base game ($60 x 2 = $120)
  • an expension pass for both those games, so you can play the version exclusive DLC ($30 x 2 = $60)

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
So the DLC is basically the replacement for the updated editions (like Crystal, Emerald and Platnium)?

Codes 208

Yes, but this “full experience” has been the case since the beginning. You didnt need to buy blue after you bought red. Same goes for now, you can just trade for the pokemon you cant get. Hence why most people will buy just one copy

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Yes, but this “full experience” has been the case since the beginning. You didnt need to buy blue after you bought red. Same goes for now, you can just trade for the pokemon you cant get. Hence why most people will buy just one copy
It's almost like Ninty wants to bring you into physical contact with another person to do Pokemon things...
That and well, have two kids? Buy two copies :D

Chromata

I'd rather they focus on developing a new Pokemon game but this time with a proper effort. Charging full price for what's basically a 3DS game on consoles isn't going to cut it.

They're expanding on a weak foundation.

Last edited:

Codes 208

It's almost like Ninty wants to bring you into physical contact with another person to do Pokemon things...
Or do to popularity theres a good chance you know either a family member or a friend who also plays pokemon, my whole group does, plus theres always reddit and discord for those who need help.

StormCell

The only thing that kinda hurts right now is if you are one of those 2 copy families, you'll be needing to buy 2 passes for the expansion or risk the ensuing fuss.

My wife and I don't even have kids yet... I might just skip the Isle and Tundra for myself. Too many good games to play...

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Or do to popularity theres a good chance you know either a family member or a friend who also plays pokemon, my whole group does, plus theres always reddit and discord for those who need help.
God, if this was only 1999.

Saber

I'd rather they focus on developing a new Pokemon game but this time with a proper effort. Charging full price for what's basically a 3DS game on consoles isn't going to cut it.

They're expanding on a weak foundation.

The problem lies more in what people are willing to accept. And in Pokemon case, they seems to be fine with whatever the crap they come up with.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Yeah, but someone did make a VERY salient point above; to trade online, you need the online service
I guess the cost of not having people around you who play Pokemon??

The only thing that kinda hurts right now is if you are one of those 2 copy families, you'll be needing to buy 2 passes for the expansion or risk the ensuing fuss.

My wife and I don't even have kids yet... I might just skip the Isle and Tundra for myself. Too many good games to play...
Hahaha my brother and I were a set of those kids
Though thankfully that was back in the RBY days (And I was the kid and not the parent)

Codes 208

Yeah, but someone did make a VERY salient point above; to trade online, you need the online service
I guess the cost of not having people around you who play Pokemon??

Hahaha my brother and I were a set of those kids
Though thankfully that was back in the RBY days (And I was the kid and not the parent)
You need online for a lot things in general. Smash bros? Online. Halo? Xbox live. Call of duty? You bet your sweet cheeks youll need online

Top Bottom