• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police shoot concussion grenade at DAPL protesters, woman's arm nearly blown off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

Donate to her medical fund here.

-

Dakota Access pipeline protester 'may lose her arm' after police standoff
A 21-year-old woman was severely injured and may lose her arm after being hit by a projectile when North Dakota law enforcement officers turned water cannon on Dakota Access pipeline protesters and threw “less-than-lethal” weapons, according to the woman’s father.
“The best-case scenario is no pain and 10-20% functionality,” said Wayne Wilansky, Sophia’s father, who travelled to Minneapolis where his daughter underwent eight hours of surgery on Monday. He said his daughter had been hit by a concussion grenade thrown by a police officer and that the arteries, median nerve, muscle and bone in her left arm had been “blown away”.

Sophia will require additional surgery in the next few days and her arm may still have to be amputated, he added. “She’s devastated. She looks at her arm and she cries,” he said.
The activists, who call themselves “water protectors”, have faced a heavily militarised police force. More than 400 protesters have been arrested by law enforcement officers who have deployed pepper spray, teargas, rubber bullets, Tasers, sound weapons and other “less-than-lethal” methods.

Following Sunday’s confrontation 26 protesters were taken to hospital and more than 300 injured, according to the Standing Rock Medic & Healer Council. Most of the injured had hypothermia after being hit by water cannon in below-freezing weather.

Medical Fund for Sophia Wilansky
Sophia Wilansky is a water protector from New York. She left New York City several weeks ago to help with the struggle at Standing Rock. She been an active participate and family to the activist groups NYC Shut It Down and Hoods4Justice. Sophia has always been committed to confronting injustice through vigilance and resistance.

Sophia was giving out bottles of water to protectors holding down the space when she was shot with a concussion grenade.

Police fire water cannon at Dakota pipeline protesters in freezing weather
Police fired volleys of tear gas at the protesters to prevent them from crossing the bridge. Law enforcement also fired rubber bullets and sprayed protesters with water in temperatures that reached as low as 18 Fahrenheit (minus 8 Celsius) overnight.

“It is below freezing right now and the Morton County Sheriff’s Department is using a water cannon on our people - that is an excessive and potentially deadly use of force," said Dallas Goldtooth, a spokesman for the Indigenous Environmental Network, one of the organizations involved in protests.

Any of the officers who don't approve of spraying people with water at below-freezing temperatures and blowing people's arms off should step down or refuse to engage.

Vena

How exactly is this level of force legal? They're a few inches from just outright shooting these people with actual bullets if they're using concussion grenades.

Red

Any of the officers who don't approve of spraying people with water at below-freezing temperatures and blowing people's arms off should step down or refuse to engage.
So they can be replaced by officers who don't think that stuff is so bad?

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I saw the photos today on my newsfeed, it's pretty bad. The family has asked people not to circulate the photos but at the same time I think people need to see what's happening.

History repeating...
birmingham_campaign_water_hoses.jpg

Laiza

At this point we can see their definition of "less-than-lethal" is far too relaxed - if it could cause that much damage to her arm, any closer to her internal organs and she would definitely have been killed.

And the use of water cannons in below-freezing weather? Really? No class, man.

On the flip side, if it makes people feel any better, we're not far off from having fully functional prosthetics that are indistinguishable from the real thing. Well, depending on your definition of "far off", anyway (I consider "within this decade" to be pretty close when we're talking about 1:1 replacement limbs). Not that anyone should ever need such a thing when we're talking about entirely avoidable human error.

Just another day in authoritarian America. Sigh. Ho-hum.

platocplx

Police should not be handling things like this. They are Extremely under trained for this and it shows. That poor woman.

phanphare

Banned
this whole situation has been disgusting. really goes to show how the big money interests have a stranglehold on the media and politicians.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
All this senseless violence to push through a fucking oil pipeline.

If they actually go forward with internment camps or something, these same police will show up with this shit.

RefigeKru

Banned
“The best-case scenario is no pain and 10-20% functionality,” said Wayne Wilansky, Sophia’s father, who travelled to Minneapolis where his daughter underwent eight hours of surgery on Monday. He said his daughter had been hit by a concussion grenade thrown by a police officer and that the arteries, median nerve, muscle and bone in her left arm had been “blown away”.

Absolutely disgusting.

Why do they even have grenades?

Javaman

Man, that's horrible. I wonder if the cops "cooked" the grenade and it went off midair or if she tried to pick it up.

Boney

Banned
How many police and how many protestors are there?
I mean, it's not your fault since no media is covering this and GAF has just a passing interest but this has been going on for months, with many tribes, even some from South America joining the protest camps.

There's hundreds of people protesting and being faced with unmeasured force and humiliating treatment after arrests. Vicious dogs, pepper sprays, clubs and non lethal guns are being used. The arrested people for "trespassing have been kept in dog kennels for numerous hours without any comunication.

They've also arrested the few reporters and documentarians there, some facing 5 years of jail time.

This is the same guy that is happy trump got elected since trump has investments in that company and will by pass the eco impact study that's being demanded

I thought these were peaceful protests, did they recently get violent?
Uhm no? They've been bashing the protestors skulls open for months on end, there's numerous activists doctors helping down there.

azyless

Saw a picture of her arm earlier, it was shocking. How do you justify using such violence ?
And then the poor woman has to rely on freaking crowdfunding to pay for injuries sustained at the hands of police, absolutely insane.

Nevasleep

WTF why are American police such whimps.
Shields and batons, unless they are seriously violent.

Police should not be handling things like this. They are Extremely under trained for this and it shows. That poor woman.
This is the police's job, they need to be trained correctly. Other countries can manage it. Doubt much is going to change though for a while.

DarkKyo

This country needs to reboot its police system from scratch to weed out all the shit. That will never happen though since the US power structure will need its police state in the coming years.

Patrick S.

Banned
Holy fucking shit, don't do the same mistake I did and image search her name :( There are graphic pictures of her injuries. No way in hell is that arm salvageable :( Poor girl :(

Dartastic

Dear god. Seriously, at what point is it legally defensible to carry a weapon and return fire? I'm not saying that they should, but the police there can literally kill people with things like using water cannons in freezing weather. Now they've mutilated a young woman. This is wrong, in every sense of the word.

gaugebozo

I keep seeing the grenades being called "concussion." Do they mean "stun", like flashbangs? A concussion grenade is a high explosive with the purpose of killing everything in close quarters.

eggandI

Banned
Warm up for when people start protesting internment camps, deportation squads and conversion therapy.
Yup. This is why entire communities need to arm themselves for self defense. When trump sends his thugs to suppress protests they won't stop at tear gas and rubber bullets

This is bad in its own way but it isn't remotely the same as the widespread and systemic discrimination that befell entire black communities.

As opposed to the "widespread and systemic discrimination that befell entire" native tribes?

When police are using potentially lethal force against protesters I'm not so sure about that.

you asked when you could legally do it. I answered.

e: let me put it another way. It's illegal to defend your property if a cop illegally enters it. If a cop attacks you for no reason, you fighting back has then given them a reason. It's a no-win situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom