• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police shoot concussion grenade at DAPL protesters, woman's arm nearly blown off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boney

Banned
When police are using potentially lethal force against protesters I'm not so sure about that.
Tha's exaxtly why it's never.

And it's not the temperature that can kill you, it's the water pressure that can knock you, those fuckers hit hard

TyrantII

This is bad in its own way but it isn't remotely the same as the widespread and systemic discrimination that befell entire black communities.

Ehhhh, yes it is different. But. People should research the history of police during the gilded age and age of robber barons.

Police were originally keepers of the peace, for the wealthy. The tactics and action above are not so far removed from when they would break up labor organizing against factories, besides being a lot less lethal now a days.

We're better off today, but its easy to fall into old habits when some politician or person in authority misuses power.

Dartastic

Tha's exaxtly why it's never.

And it's not the temperature that can kill you, it's the water pressure that can knock you, those fuckers hit hard
The temperature outside was below freezing. They were spraying water on people who were outside in ~25 degree temperatures. The results of that can potentially kill someone.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yeah but that's going to kill you when they arrest you and leave you without any clothes and soaked wet. Water cannons are dangerous in the middle of the summer

They are spraying them so they either leave to get warm or die from hypothermia.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Obama still waiting to see what happens.

Where the fuck are you?

This is bad in its own way but it isn't remotely the same as the widespread and systemic discrimination that befell entire black communities.

Huh? You do know many of the water protectors are native American? Is systemic genocide enough for you???

Koomaster

Can someone explain why police are doing anything against the protesters at this point? The gov't has put a halt to the project temporarily and it's not as if this is a home invasion where the property is going to get robbed or destroyed by the protesters being there. So why use anything against them at all?

"Nowadays it’s all you see anymore is cops, the tube is saturated with fuckin’ cop shows, just being regular guys, only tryin’ to do their job, folks, no more threat to nobody’s freedom than some dad in a sitcom. Right. Get the viewer population so cop-happy they’re beggin’ to be run in.”

don't trust the police

Mega

Banned
Dear god. Seriously, at what point is it legally defensible to carry a weapon and return fire? I'm not saying that they should, but the police there can literally kill people with things like using water cannons in freezing weather. Now they've mutilated a young woman. This is wrong, in every sense of the word.

And this is why everyone should own a gun.

No sane protestor would carry small arms and be crazy enough to open fire on a heavily armed and militarized police force with a hostile attitude and a chance to start shooting. It will be confusion, chaos and a massacre for the protestors. They did not show up to die on that day.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Yup. This is why entire communities need to arm themselves for self defense. When trump sends his thugs to suppress protests they won't stop at tear gas and rubber bullets

Unlike white bundy ranch folk. These people would get shot and crushed in an instant if armed.

Mark L

I have no doubt that Trump will happily watch by while this kind of stuff and more are done, but I can't shake the feeling that in a few years this whole event will be sorta grandfathered into the record of the Trump administration so as to cast Obama in a better light. And it shouldn't, because he is doing nothing to stop this madness and I believe it is his responsibility to intervene.

Dartastic

No sane protestor would carry small arms and be crazy enough to open fire on a heavily armed and militarized police force with a hostile attitude and a chance to start shooting. It will be confusion, chaos and a massacre for the protestors. They did not show up to die on that day.
Once again, I'm not saying they should. I'm asking when it would be legally defensible. There has to be a certain point where it is.

DavidDesu

America's already highly militarised police combined with Trump and the right wing rise... Maybe gun nuts were right after all, everyone should be armed to stand up to the government. And here we are. Sadly all those same nuts are on Trump's side.

Once again, I'm not saying they should. I'm asking when it would be legally defensible. There has to be a certain point where it is.

There really isn't. Maybe in the extreme circumstance that it is a single rogue cop acting outside of the law, and you are defending yourself. More than one? In a situation explicitly or implicitly condoned by local or national government? Never.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
That thing is a newspaper? It reads like a fucking PR statement of the investors of the pipeline.
Rob Port's blog, Say Anything, is owned by Forum Communications who owns the paper. It's not literally the paper, it's just a blog that they link to like a normal news article!

The blog recently had a guest post from our shithead Congressman, Kevin Cramer, blaming climate change on Obama not working with Congress on it that clicked through just like this. It's pretty much propaganda. It's fucking shameful.

Monocle

And this is why everyone should own a gun.
Yeah that totally wouldn't escalate the situation at all.

Think about the implications for more than two seconds.

America's already highly militarised police combined with Trump and the right wing rise... Maybe gun nuts were right after all, everyone should be armed to stand up to the government. And here we are. Sadly all those same nuts are on Trump's side.
You're essentially asking for tensions to spiral out of control and lead to a massacre.

Ironically those gun owners who said they needed guns to defend against a tyrannical government are the ones telling the protesters to stop whining and do what the government says.

My father only has one functioning hand after a accident and it absolutely ruined his working life and mental health. I can't imagine how much worse it would have been had it been the result of being attacked by the people meant to keep everyone safe (yeah, right).

I feel for the woman.

Chariot

Actually, police in the USA were established as slave patrols to catch runaways.
Where they? One would suspect the colonies would have law enforcement equivalents to their overlords way before the USA is formed and would keep it. Catching slaves might as well been part of the job, but surely the colonies didn't live without law enforcement, even after rebelling.

Mega

Banned
As opposed to the "widespread and systemic discrimination that befell entire" native tribes?

Huh? You do know many of the water protectors are native American? Is systemic genocide enough for you???

Regarding this specific situation, I know it's on/near reservation land and that this affects native American communities, but the pipeline's existence and purpose, and the protests against it, aren't specifically about systemic racial discrimination... it's not like with the background story of the segregation era photo that the person posted in the first page.

And no one is denying that native Americans haven't been through the worst. I'm aware that there are also racial connotations, the pipeline's likely negative impact to local communities and that this probably wouldn't be happening if they needed to rip through wealthy Long Island neighborhoods.. but it isn't necessary to force a comparison between a protestor's arm injury and LE's shitty behavior to the history of black civil rights and its iconic imagery. It's a real problem that so much gets reduced to not-well-thought-out comparisons to black history or Hitler/Holocaust.

Javaman

As I said, I was dumb and looked at the pics of her arm. Her arm is shredded. No way will she keep it :(

Yeah it looks like her forearm and elbow area. Definitely wasn't because of picking it up like I was earlier wondering. I just can't figure out how the injury happened unless it was a midair explosion. There's no way the impact itself could do that much damage. I'm surprised it there aren't any burns to the fabric.

Looks to me more like a physical injury than from an explosion.

Ramirez

This whole thing just blows my mind, why are no leaders stepping up and putting a stop to this treatment?? It's disgusting.

gogosox82

This is truly disgusting. Why won't anyone do anything about this? Why is it ok for this woman's arm to get nearly blown off? Where is Obama on this? Where are the democrats on this? Seriously. The only politician I've even seen out there is Bernie. They need to step up and do something about this instead of doing nothing and fucking watching from the sidelines.

guek

Banned
This whole thing just blows my mind, why are no leaders stepping up and putting a stop to this treatment?? It's disgusting.
Bernie is the only major politician I've seen take a hardline stance on the NDAP but he might as well be an old man yelling at clouds as far as the media is concerned

Ramirez

Bernie is the only major politician I've seen take a hardline stance on the NDAP but he might as well be an old man yelling at clouds as far as the media is concerned

Yes, I see him posting about it daily on FB, but as you say, he seems to be literally the only person who gives a shit with any kind of power.

Geist-

I'm in utter disbelief that this is my country right now. That I live in a place where militarized police think it's perfectly acceptable to purposefully endanger the lives of peaceful protesters.

Everyday things get worse and worse and worse, there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of this pitch black tunnel of shit we find ourselves in.

guek

Banned
Yes, I see him posting about it daily on FB, but as you say, he seems to be literally the only person who gives a shit with any kind of power.
But you can bet your ass if he wanted to talk about the primary again or if he would have beaten Trump, all the news networks would give him prime time coverage. That's all the assholes wanted Bernie to talk about after the election.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I'm in utter disbelief that this is my country right now. That I live in a place where militarized police think it's perfectly acceptable to purposefully endanger the lives of peaceful protesters.

Everyday things get worse and worse and worse, there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of this pitch black tunnel of shit we find ourselves in.

It proves to you who the government actually works for. It's not those protesters.

Patrick S.

Banned

I don't understand why Police would shoot fucking CONCUSSION GRENADES at protesters. Concussion grenades are lethal devices. You don't use lethal force on protesters, or anyone really, unless they are threatening your lives. I wonder how the guy who shot that grenade feels. Not what bullshit he would speak out to justify his actions, but what he actually feels and thinks inside his head and heart. If I was that guy, I would spend the rest of my life crying over what I did.

Chariot

I wonder. Are the other politicians actually bought off? Or do they not care because of the media blackout? Why doesn't anyone even make a hot air protest?

guek

Banned
I wonder. Are the other politicians actually bought off? Or do they not care because of the media blackout? Why doesn't anyone even make a hot air protest?
The media does not care

Therefore voters don't care

Therefore politicians don't care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom