• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police shoot concussion grenade at DAPL protesters, woman's arm nearly blown off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And this is under Obama, the guy that supposedly does the right thing. Except he's not saying a damn word. Under Trump we'll probably see militarized action against any anti-Trump protesters in major cities.

And this is under Obama, the guy that supposedly does the right thing. Except he's not saying a damn word. Under Trump we'll probably see militarized action against any anti-Trump protesters in major cities.

It is the awkward truth of it. The silence is deafening, be it Obama or Trump. The discontent and division will only get worse. Someone has to do something. Or things will get worse.

Media

Like I said in the other thread, this shit needs to end. Someone is going to killed, and this use of violence is going to force the riot they already claim it is. This is disgusting. If this were happening to any other race, the media would be all over it, but we're fucking ghosts, so no one gives a shit. It maddening.

Please please please Obama, step in and fix this.

Honestly, kind of sick for the calls for Obama. I mean, it'd be great if he magically decided to act ENTIRELY to the contrary of his well informed being on this issue that has been going on for a great many months now....but I don't exactly have optimism for it.

He could've easily wielded the office in numerous ways, every day, since Day 1 when it was apparent that this entire thing was off the rails and needed to be slammed down before escalating even more so---but craven as he is, subservient to positioning, he didn't do a damn thing for These Americans* whom he is the president of.

Were it not for Trump being....Trump....I don't know that I've ever seen in my lifetime such a blatant person seeking self aggrandizement for office and their legacy in lieu of doing the plain and obvious right thing---especially when this is such an obvious thing to demonstrate human decency on.

But hey, you are judged by how you treat the least of folks---so between this and the drone wars abroad at the least, that makes for an easy equation for folks not in denial. Then again, if Native history is any indication, they are about as likely to entirely paper over this entire damned mess and shine/gild the bloodstains. : (

Beefy

Police denying it.

The sheriff's office suggested in a statement Monday that an explosion heard during the skirmish might have been caused by small propane tanks that authorities said protesters had rigged to explode.

Dallas Goldtooth, a protest organizer with the Indigenous Environmental Network, did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday. Wayne Wilansky disputed the claim by authorities, saying "there's multiple witnesses and my daughter, who was completely conscious, said they threw a grenade right at her."

The North Dakota Highway Patrol in a statement Tuesday backed up the sheriff's office's version of events, saying officers during the skirmish spotted protesters with "multiple silver cylinder objects."

"It was at this time an explosion occurred and several protesters ran to the area, pulled a female from under the burned vehicle, and fled the scene," the patrol said.

Officers who investigated found 1-pound propane tanks "including one that appeared to be intentionally punctured," the agency statement said.

apnews.com/7fe0b7af0704467eac22b76244ac1982/Pipeline-protester-seriously-injured;-conflicting-accounts

*Edit: added a bit more from the article.

Police denying it.

The sheriff's office suggested in a statement Monday that an explosion heard during the skirmish might have been caused by small propane tanks that authorities said protesters had rigged to explode.

Dallas Goldtooth, a protest organizer with the Indigenous Environmental Network, did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday. Wayne Wilansky disputed the claim by authorities, saying "there's multiple witnesses and my daughter, who was completely conscious, said they threw a grenade right at her."

apnews.com/7fe0b7af0704467eac22b76244ac1982/Pipeline-protester-seriously-injured;-conflicting-accounts?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

Vena

Police denying it.

apnews.com/7fe0b7af0704467eac22b76244ac1982/Pipeline-protester-seriously-injured;-conflicting-accounts?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

I want this to Streisand effect hard, now.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

The North Dakota Highway Patrol in a statement Tuesday backed up the sheriff's office's version of events, saying officers during the skirmish spotted protesters with "multiple silver cylinder objects."

A thermos?

thermos-vacuum-insulated-foodbeverage-bottle.jpg

Officers who investigated found 1-pound propane tanks "including one that appeared to be intentionally punctured," the agency statement said.

Need I remind you how small a 1-pound propane tank is?

The protestors probably had them to provide heat in the cold and to cook their food. The puncture may have been caused by the police.

So this

"including one that appeared to be intentionally punctured,"

Is their justification for saying this

Because ONE small propane tank was found punctured after the protesters encountered a group that is heavily armed.

Because ONE small propane tank was found punctured after the protesters encountered a group that is heavily armed.
Which is weird because wouldn't the propane tank be blown to pieces, even with homemade explosives? A "punctured" tank would never create the same effect as a concussion grenade.

This is crazy! Unleashing such warfare on a bunch of civilians for what, protesting? Whose demands are the police following to allow such awful tactics against civilians with no recourse?

Kaiken

Banned
Exploding Propane Tanks - Propane 101 said:
Propane Explosions 101. Propane tanks do not explode. They do not implode and nor do they rupture or come apart on their own. In fact, bringing a propane tank to the point of "explosion" is a tremendously difficult and time consuming task that's not as simple as most people think.

ATF487

Police denying it.

"It was at this time an explosion occurred and several protesters ran to the area, pulled a female from under the burned vehicle, and fled the scene," the patrol said.

apnews.com/7fe0b7af0704467eac22b76244ac1982/Pipeline-protester-seriously-injured;-conflicting-accounts

Christ, what a bunch of cunts.

Police denying it.

What the fuck? Own up you goddamn cowards

Police denying it.

fuck the media, fuck the police, and fuck politicians

Dryk

Jesus Christ, I didn't know a concussion grenade could do that.
You might be thinking of stun grenades. Concussion grenades are explosive grenades that produce minimal shrapnel. They can and would blow that hole in this poor woman's arm but I can't for the life of me figure out why the police have them.

You might be thinking of stun grenades. Concussion grenades are explosive grenades that produce minimal shrapnel. They can and would blow that hole in this poor woman's arm but I can't for the life of me figure out why the police have them.

In case people get in the way of oil profits apparently.

commedieu

Banned
Because america is a fucking police state.

Jesus Christ why is this something hard for so many people?

THEY probably get it the same place they get military grade armored vehicles. our taxes.

Fox Mulder

Fuck Obama, really. People are crying about the potential injustices of a Trump administration while we have this.

I don't understand why Police would shoot fucking CONCUSSION GRENADES at protesters. Concussion grenades are lethal devices. You don't use lethal force on protesters, or anyone really, unless they are threatening your lives. I wonder how the guy who shot that grenade feels. Not what bullshit he would speak out to justify his actions, but what he actually feels and thinks inside his head and heart. If I was that guy, I would spend the rest of my life crying over what I did.

Because they can get away with it.

The media doesn't care, Obama doesn't care, clinton doesn't care, trump won't care. Americans don't care.

The guy that shot her probably had an erection. Nothing but paid thugs that get off of beating the shit out of the powerless.

Daingurse

Yeah I did mean stun grenades. So these concussion grenades aren't a less lethal option I assume? This is all kinds of fucked up.

I been very angry with Obama in his second term and this silence just confirms my opinion on him. I really hope they can reroute the pipeline. Also, why is Bernie the only politician talking about this? I'm not expecting most Democrats to be against this, but at least more than just Bernie.

Demoskinos

I don't understand this situation at all... if these people are not being violent with their protests how in fuck is the response with the level of violence even legal?

Evo X

This whole situation is super fucked up.

My heart goes out to that women and other protesters.

Every day I hear of news that sounds unbelievable. Shit like this happening in broad daylight in supposedly the bastion of equality and freedom that American represents and not a single person in a position of power doing a damn thing to help.

Police denying it.

Post-truth

Yeah I've never heard of a "concussion grenade" as a less lethal weapon. Concussion grenade hitting you in the arm would turn your body into something the consistency of chunky salsa.

Dryk

Yeah I've never heard of a "concussion grenade" as a less lethal weapon. Concussion grenade hitting you in the arm would turn your body into something the consistency of chunky salsa.
Surely it's a journalistic error and it actually was a stun grenade. There's already so many stories of ill-trained and reckless police hurting people with those.

Surely it's a journalistic error and it actually was a stun grenade. There's already so many stories of ill-trained and reckless police hurting people with those.

Yeah all google returns for police concussion grenade is this exact news story, so it would have to be an error. Stun grenade seems possible, not sure what else might be.

MGrant

What the fuck. An absolute failure of humans to be humans on the side of police. What is in it for them, anyway, aside from a chance to hurt people they don't like? They think some of those billions of dollars oil folks will make further fucking the environment will come to their pockets? Is that worth killing people by freezing them or mutilating them? Get the fuck out of there and be people.

enemy2k

Wow, i saw that pic a few days ago and it's just as gruesome and disheartening as the first time I saw it. It's awful what they are doing down there to serve their corporate overlords. Wish I could be there to support the cause.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Personally, I hope every single fucking protestor sues the ever living hell out of the police, state, and pipeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom