• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Favorite Moment In NFL History

Status
Not open for further replies.
A) When Gary Anderson was picked up by the Steelers in 1982
B) When Gary Anderson banged through his longest FG (55 Yards) in 1984
C) When Gary Anderson had back to back 2.0 Solo Tackle season is '94 and '95
D) When Gary Anderson became the all time NFL leader in points scored

My choice is D, but you all make up your minds.

Feel free to write in some of your favorite moments, but I think I basically sumed up the best ever.

with my limited knowledge of American Football im going to say when the Fridge through that dude over everyone for a touchdown

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
awesome, I always thought that Rome deepened his voice after that incident, just hadn't seen the clip in years... he sounds like a kid in that interview.

When... that dude from a recent Superbowl.. McNair? He was a black QB who was good at running. Last play of the game, he breaks through, is tackled just short, his arm reaching out at the endzone, and comes up a foot short.

He was on the inferior team, and they lost, but the combination of the dramatics of the game boiling down to the last play, his team getting so close, and the heart he showed in that play and the entire game made it very memorable to this Canadian who only watches the Superbowl and no other NFL games.

edit: also the Saints play (with the combination of the missed extra point). I didn't even see that live, but that was an amazing play.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Mike Works said:
When... that dude from a recent Superbowl.. McNair? He was a black QB who was good at running. Last play of the game, he breaks through, is tackled just short, his arm reaching out at the endzone, and comes up a foot short.

He was on the inferior team, and they lost, but the combination of the dramatics of the game boiling down to the last play, his team getting so close, and the heart he showed in that play and the entire game made it very memorable to this Canadian who only watches the Superbowl and no other NFL games.

edit: also the Saints play (with the combination of the missed extra point). I didn't even see that live, but that was an amazing play.

McNair was the QB, but it was actually the wide receiver who was tackled just at the one yard line(Titans vs Rams super bowl).

I remember watching that play live and it didn't seem to be anything special, it seemed as though he was a few yards away. Every time I've seen it since, though, it seems to get closer and closer to the endzone.

So, it would seem as if D is the most popular answer, as I figured. The 2 Solo Tackle seasons are impressive, but nothing beats holding the point record! NOTHING!

Mike Works said:

I was watching that game on TV, and while I don't know if that was my favorite NFL moment, it was definitely the most surreal. The running play was basically a miracle, and they missed the extra point.

No wonder Saints fans wear paper bags.

Crazymoogle said:
I was watching that game on TV, and while I don't know if that was my favorite NFL moment, it was definitely the most surreal. The running play was basically a miracle, and they missed the extra point.

No wonder Saints fans wear paper bags.
Watching the hilights was so funny. The guy's voice was all unreal, and then he suddenly switches to THE MOST somber voice in the world and says, "and then this happened..."

The Saints pull off one of the most amazing plays in NFL history and then blow the extra point. Fucking hilarious.

Also, Jim Rome is a little bitch. That's right, bish!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
skinnyrattler said:
How about when the Bills (or was it the Oilers) came back down by 35? That was a awesome game.

That reminds me of the Titans revenge, in the music city miracle play. Another great ending to a playoff game.

skinnyrattler said:
How about when the Bills (or was it the Oilers) came back down by 35? That was a awesome game.

Fuck off...

it was the bills coming back against the oilers...

well at least i have my niner's moments.

Mike Works said:
The Saints pull off one of the most amazing plays in NFL history and then blow the extra point. Fucking hilarious.

I still remember the quick footage of saints fans donning the bags right after the missed point. Kind of reminds me of highschool, where one particular guy would try to wear the bag through classes after a Saints loss.

(This was in Vancouver too, heh)

andthebeatgoeson

ConfusingJazz said:
Fuck off...

it was the bills coming back against the oilers...

well at least i have my niner's moments.

Was that a playoff game?

Edit: Yes it was.

"The Colts' comeback against the Bucs was really remarkable because it was against the best defensive team in football and the defending Super Bowl champions in such a short period of time. But naturally, I was a first-hand observer (and head coach) of the Bills' come-from-behind victory over the Houston Oilers in the 1992 playoffs. We played the game without Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas and Cornelius Bennett -- three of our stars -- and came back from a 35-3 deficit with around 22 minutes left in the game.

"So what was I thinking during the game? We were devastated when we found ourselves down 28-3 at halftime. Here we were, AFC champions, being humiliated at home in the playoffs. There was no great pep talk like you'd see in the movies. Halftime is only 12 minutes long; I really only had three minutes to make adjustments. The only thing I recall saying to our players was, 'You are two-time defending AFC champions. When you walk off the field 30 minutes from now, don't let anybody say that you quit or gave up.' Whether it meant anything to them or not, I don't know, but on our first possession of the second half, the ball went off of one of our tight end's hands and the Oilers ran it back for a touchdown to make it 35-3. On the kickoff, the kicker flubbed it and somehow hit one of our front five players and they nearly recovered the ball. We got it though, and we scored on the next play. Then we recovered an on-side kick, scored quickly and got back in the game. In seven minutes we scored four touchdowns and had 31 points going into the fourth quarter.

"It must have been in that team to do such a feat because just one year later during the regular season we came back from a 26-0 halftime deficit against Indianapolis, considered the third-greatest comeback of all time. Coincidentally, one man who's been a vital part of both comebacks (the Bills/Oilers and last week's Colts/Bucs) is Bill Polian. He was our GM in Buffalo at the time and now he's in charge of the Colts. Bill's a good friend, a great guy, he speaks well and has great enthusiasm. And he has two amazing comebacks to look back upon.

"I do a lot of exercising, and sometimes I'm feeling serene and my mind wanders and that pleasant thought comes back to me. It was beautiful -- a remarkable event. You have to coach for 47 years to have a few moments like that occur, and it's one that I very much treasure."

http://www.inreview.com/archive/topic/10559.html

Haha, w/o Kelly or Thurman. HAHAHa, owned!

Vicious

Being a Bucs fan, I have two favorite moments and both of them are interceptions that were returned for TDs.

#1 - Ronde Barber's interception of McNabb in the 4th quarter of the NFC Championship game which sealed the victory for the Bucs, sending them to the Super Bowl for the first time ever. I had about 15 friends over at my place watching this game, and the tension was so high when the Eagles were getting closer and closer to the endzone, and then bam, suddenly Barber is running in the opposite direction with absolutely nobody around him. We were screaming our lungs out, and you could hear people outside screaming and celebrating. It was crazy.

#2 - Derrick Brooks' interception of Gannon in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl. The Bucs got out to a huge lead, but the Raiders came back with 3 quick TDs, building the tension again. Brooks intercepts Gannon's pass and returns it for a TD, securing a Super Bowl victory for the Bucs.

God I loved that year.

SyNapSe

skinnyrattler said:

Yeah, it was the bills down 35 or something at halftime in the (first round?) of the playoffs. Crazy comeback.

1. I'm going to sum this up with Barry Sanders running.
2. Dante Hall's catch and spin-run thingie against the Bronco's 2 or 3 years ago ( I have a .wmv but can't get it to upload for some reason)

3. Since someone mentioned the Titans super bowl run, I think the kickoff LONG lateral run back for a touchdown to win the playoff game should be in there. I can't think who it was.. I wanna say Wychek threw the ball to Dyson?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Willco said:
Nobody has said THE MUSIC CITY MIRACLE!

I said the music city miracle... I just didn't say it was my favorite.

edit: And synapse apparently doesn't know the name of his third favorite moment. For shame.

andthebeatgoeson

My all time favorite football announcer quotes goes to:

namathdrunk.jpg

'I want to kiss you!'

and:

'If you're just joining us, Seattle won the toss and elected to
kick the bejesus out of the Vikings.'

Matlock

Banned
Elway winning the Super Bowl...that touchdown he ran in, doing a flip that would make a running back wince.

He was hungry.

He wanted it.

He got it.

DJ_Tet

Banned
I watched that Bills-Oilers game. It was freaking classic. The had a live interview with the QB of the team that would play the winner (can't remember who it was, might have been Elway), and the announcer said "well how will you prepare for the winner, who are we kidding, how will you prepare for the Oilers?" One of the crazy things about that game was that the score was 28-3 at halftime. The Oliers scored a TD to begin the second half and make the score 35-3.

Here's another crazy fact of that game. Jim Kelly was indeed hurt during that game. The backup was a guy named Frank Reich (first QB of the Panthers baby). Well, Mr. Reich played college at Maryland, where he backed up Boomer Esiason. He led the biggest comeback of NCAA History against the University of Miami. Boomer went down, Reich came in for Maryland, and led the biggest college comeback ever. A little more than ironic with what he did in the NFL.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
ConfusingJazz said:
Who the hell said that? Clip?
Paul Maguire, it was on a sunday night game two years ago. It really was one of the funniest things I have heard during a football broadcast.

Willco

Hollywood Square
I think one of the funniest moments I ever saw was a few years back around Halloween. Washington was playing Chicago and Dan "Big Daddy" Wilkinson intercepted a pass and started to run it for a touchdown. If any of you saw this guy, you'd laugh, because he weighed like 500 lbs.

The best part was that Darrell Green started PUSHING him and swatting opponents behind him. It was hilarious. Once Wilkinson got into the endzone he had to get an oxygen tank.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Elway winning the super bowl was probably my worst sports memory ever.

Then Chris Simms commited to Texas :(

Then Vick beat the Pack in Lambo in the playoffs :(

Then 4th and 1000 yards happened :( It was brett's year, and you dreadlocked assholes went and ruined it :(

Sorry, I chose to remember sports by the really bad things that happened :(

andthebeatgoeson

DJ_Tet said:
Here's another crazy fact of that game. Jim Kelly was indeed hurt during that game. The backup was a guy named Frank Reich (first QB of the Panthers baby). Well, Mr. Reich played college at Maryland, where he backed up Boomer Esiason. He led the biggest comeback of NCAA History against the University of Miami. Boomer went down, Reich came in for Maryland, and led the biggest college comeback ever. A little more than ironic with what he did in the NFL.

Not ironic but expected. I'm just saying.

The 3rd Reich was the man. I remember him. Back in the day, the Bills had a knack for getting good back up QBs.

DJ_Tet

Banned
I'm a huge Frank Reich fan.

I don't think anyone can expect a playoff team to blow a 31 point lead in 22 minutes though. If anyone could do it, it would be the man who did it in college though, so perhaps irony is the wrong word. Dude just had a knack. Hell he probably told the Bills teammates about that Miami game when he came in.

SyNapSe

ConfusingJazz said:
Who the hell said that? Clip?

It was a funny comment. If I remember right, it was the game not last year, but the year before that in which Shaun Alexander went insane for the Seachickens.

It was a Sunday Night game, and at Halftime I think he had 4 TD's already.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Willco said:
I think one of the funniest moments I ever saw was a few years back around Halloween. Washington was playing Chicago and Dan "Big Daddy" Wilkinson intercepted a pass and started to run it for a touchdown. If any of you saw this guy, you'd laugh, because he weighed like 500 lbs.

The best part was that Darrell Green started PUSHING him and swatting opponents behind him. It was hilarious. Once Wilkinson got into the endzone he had to get an oxygen tank.

He wasn't that big, but yeah, that was a classic clip if you're wondering how out of shape Big Daddy was.

DJ_Tet

Banned
SyNapSe said:
It was a funny comment. If I remember right, it was the game not last year, but the year before that in which Shaun Alexander went insane for the Seachickens.

It was a Sunday Night game, and at Halftime I think he had 4 TD's already.

I think he had 5 tds at halftime. A tool didn't play him that night in my fantasy football league :)

Fifty

Willco said:

Oh my god I'd do anything to see that. :p

Btw, Willco, are you a Ravens fan?

DJ_Tet

Banned
Fifty said:
Oh my god I'd do anything to see that. :p

Btw, Willco, are you a Ravens fan?

I'd hope he was a redskin fan, but he could be any type of fan for laughing for the type of fat-ass lineman that any team has.

Miguel

skinnyrattler said:
'If you're just joining us, Seattle won the toss and elected to
kick the bejesus out of the Vikings.'

Yes.

-Jurevicious' two insane catches in the NFC Championship game. 2003. IIRC.

-Texans scoring on the 3rd play of the game against Dallas. Pass interference on first down. incomplete on the 2nd play, and Touchdown to Billy Miller over the middle on the 3rd play. :D

-Texans vs Jaguars, 2003. 2 seconds left, Texans down 20-17. Dom Capers has the balls to SEND THE OFFENSE BACK ONTO THE FIELD. Carr dives over the pile. Ball crosses the plane. Carr sprints to the Endzone I was sitting in and dives into the stands.

-Aaron Glenn single handedly beating the Steelers. Had 2 INT TDs. Texans offense was unwatchable, but Aaron Glenn saved the day. 24-6.

-Jim Harbaugh's lob into the endzone which bounced around in what seemed like slo motion til a Colt finally came down with it. (vs STeelers, sometime between 94-96 AFC playoff game)

-Any time Prime Time Decided it was Hammer Time.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Miguel said:
-Texans vs Jaguars, 2003. 2 seconds left, Texans down 20-17. Dom Capers has the balls to SEND THE OFFENSE BACK ONTO THE FIELD. Carr dives over the pile. Ball crosses the plane. Carr sprints to the Endzone I was sitting in and dives into the stands.

I've told you this before, but perhaps you'll listen now that I can tell you a story. Dom goes for the win, he's AWESOME like that. He says FUCK the OT, Fuck the Tie, I'm going for the WIN! I love the Dominator!

As I'm sure you know, he coached the Carolina Panthers his first four years as a head coach. The Carolina Panthers first game EVER was against the Atlanta Falcons. We scored to basically tie it in our first game with a Hail Mary. We were down one point. We went for two. Our fucking Right Tackle jumps offsides. Fuck it, the Dominator decides. We're going for two again! Same jack-ass motherfucker Graham jumps offsides again! At this point, from over 10 yards out and with Derrick Graham jumping offsides twice, we'll take our tie. The Panthers end up losing in overtime. You've got an awesome coach. Name me another coach who would go for the win when his OT has jumped offsides twice when trying to tie.

I love Dom, you guys are lucky to have him. Don't you dare beat the Panthers with Tony Banks at QB again though. I'll let all of Dom's secrets out without a second thought ;)

DJ_Tet

Banned
I'll answer this Joke Character's question.

My two favorite moments in NFL history both occured last year.

The first was the epic battle of the Panthers and the Rams that went into double OT last year. It was a 60+ yard TD from Delhomme to Smith.

The second favorite was in the 14-3 victory of the Panthers over the Eagles in the NFC Championship last year. It was 7 to 3 when DeShaun Foster decided he needed a TD. He was hit twice behind the line of scrimmage, and he decided he needed to score. He squared his shoulders dispite still having room outsider. He ran all over the Eagle defender, and scored the decisive TD in the championship game. It's one of those highlights you kind of need to see yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom