• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Favorite Moment In NFL History

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
'Skins fan? And nobody said "The Quarter"? When Doug Williams became the first black QB to win a super bowl...and did it basically in one quarter of ass kicking!!!!

However that is my second favorite...the top for me is watching Randell Cunningham avoid two sacks and throw a 92 yard TD pass (granted the throw was only 60 yards)

Miguel said:
-Jim Harbaugh's lob into the endzone which bounced around in what seemed like slo motion til a Colt finally came down with it. (vs STeelers, sometime between 94-96 AFC playoff game)

Jan. 96 Championship game- Only thing is, no Colt came down with it. It bounced on the guy's stomach and then rolled to the ground. Steelers win! Steelers win! Steelers win!

Actually, my memories from that game are the insane pass and catch of O'Donnell to Ernie Mills, who did an awesome job of keeping his feet inbounds. That kept the drive alive and set up the go ahead touchdown for the Steelers.

Also, Willie Williams shoe string tackle of a Colt in the backfield after he reversed field and and literally would have been off the endzone for a score.

The Steelers-Titans OT playoff game from two years ago was awesome. That was the one where Washington bumped into Nedney on the FG that was no good. Nedney does the flop and flail, Titans get another kick and win. Pissed me off to no end, but it was a great game.

But, how could nobody mention the Immaculate Reception! Best play ever!!!

ConfusingJazz said:
Because it should have been the immaculate incomplete pass.

IT BOUNCED, LOOK AT THE REPLAYS!

LOL. There aren't any camera shots of it! The closest one is the NFL films shot in the front of Franco picking it out of the air, and you can't see the ground in the shot at all. Therefore, the only one who knows if it bounced was Franco, and he ain't talking.

My LEAST favorite was Leonard Marshall destroying Joe Montana in the NFC championship game in 1990. I was 10 yo and devastated. Joe basically never played for the Niners again, which led me to becoming a Chiefs fan (Chiefs 4 life yo!)

Bauer Action Hour said:
My LEAST favorite was Leonard Marshall destroying Joe Montana in the NFC championship game in 1990. I was 10 yo and devastated. Joe basically never played for the Niners again, which led me to becoming a Chiefs fan (Chiefs 4 life yo!)

Joe was knocked into no man's land on that play, I think he may have left his body. But that led to Super Bowl 25, one of the greatest games ever.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Spectral Glider said:
LOL. There aren't any camera shots of it! The closest one is the NFL films shot in the front of Franco picking it out of the air, and you can't see the ground in the shot at all. Therefore, the only one who knows if it bounced was Franco, and he ain't talking.

the defender clearly made contact with it beforehand though, thus negating any further attempt to field the ball under that era's rules.

lexbubble

Ummm

When John Elway did the Helicopter to get a first down v. Green Bay to lead the Broncos to his first ever superbowl win!!

Easy. Watching Scott Norwood's field goal attempt sail wide right, preserving an 20-19 win for the Giants in one of the greatest Super Bowl's of all time.

levious said:
the defender clearly made contact with it beforehand though, thus negating any further attempt to field the ball under that era's rules.

You can't honestly look at that one replay and use the word, "cleary." Tatum, Frenchy and the ball almost all arrive at exactly the same time. And Frenchy touches the ball as well.

Here's the rule from 1972:

The wording from the 1972 NFL rule book that allowed Franco Harris' "Immaculate Reception" touchdown to stand: "If a defensive player touches pass first, or simultaneously with or subsequent to its having been touched by only one eligible offensive player, then all offensive players become and remain eligible."

Even back then without instant replay, they still looked at the play and determined there wasn't enough evidnece to overrule the TD.

No, you were right too, you just confused the offensive and defensive part. If Frenchy (the offensive player) was the only one to have touched the ball on the play and Harris then picked it up, it would have been ruled dead. But with Tatum and Frenchy both hitting at the same time, and both touching the ball, there wasn't a clear way to determine who touch it first. Thus, they ruled simultaneous touching and allowed the TD.

MaddenNFL64

TD pass from the 49ers Steve Young to Terrell Owens inside the 10 with barely any time on the clock to beat Green Bay in the '98 wildcard. Young almost slips & fudges it, then bullets the pass into Owens with 2 defenders on his ass. The bitch cries on Steve Mariucci's shoulders, and it's all hugs & kisses until the next game with Atlanta where Hearst busts his ankle & the 49ers lose :\.

It's pretty recent, but I wasn't born for the Catch, or the '81, or '84 SB wins. I was 5, or 6 when the 49ers were winning those SB's in '88 & '89, so I wasn't paying attention, and the '95 SB was a pure blowout with no suspense.

Miguel

Spectral Glider said:
Jan. 96 Championship game- Only thing is, no Colt came down with it. It bounced on the guy's stomach and then rolled to the ground. Steelers win! Steelers win! Steelers win!

Actually, my memories from that game are the insane pass and catch of O'Donnell to Ernie Mills, who did an awesome job of keeping his feet inbounds. That kept the drive alive and set up the go ahead touchdown for the Steelers.

Also, Willie Williams shoe string tackle of a Colt in the backfield after he reversed field and and literally would have been off the endzone for a score.

The Steelers-Titans OT playoff game from two years ago was awesome. That was the one where Washington bumped into Nedney on the FG that was no good. Nedney does the flop and flail, Titans get another kick and win. Pissed me off to no end, but it was a great game.

But, how could nobody mention the Immaculate Reception! Best play ever!!!

Haha, are you serious?

Man, talk about making up stuff. :p

I could have sworn someone picked it out of the air. Oh well.

Shinobi

Archaix said:
I remember watching that play live and it didn't seem to be anything special, it seemed as though he was a few yards away. Every time I've seen it since, though, it seems to get closer and closer to the endzone.

Heh yeah, it does at that.

Blackace said:
'Skins fan? And nobody said "The Quarter"? When Doug Williams became the first black QB to win a super bowl...and did it basically in one quarter of ass kicking!!!!

However that is my second favorite...the top for me is watching Randell Cunningham avoid two sacks and throw a 92 yard TD pass (granted the throw was only 60 yards)

Tell me about it...and he was falling backwards too.
lol.gif
That game was in Buffalo, my jaw hit the floor when I saw it.

John Riggins 4th and inches run against the Fish in the '82 Superbowl was obviously a great moment. But I never saw it live. I did see the Redskins murdering the Broncos on tape delay (I was still living in England at the time), and that was just a hoot. Doug Williams carved up the orange crush like a turkey, and rookie back Timmy Smith ran it down their throats for 200 yards. That these two were out of the NFL mere years later shows just how good Gibbs was at maximizing talent.

Oh yeah, the Redskins bitchslapping the Bills was great fun as well, since I absolutely despise Buffalo living so close to them

Funniest moment ever? Probably Gus Ferotte running full steam into a wall after scoring a touchdown.
lol.gif

-Jim Harbaugh's lob into the endzone which bounced around in what seemed like slo motion til a Colt finally came down with it. (vs STeelers, sometime between 94-96 AFC playoff game)

Hell yeah, that was so crazy. Awesome play.

The first was the epic battle of the Panthers and the Rams that went into double OT last year. It was a 60+ yard TD from Delhomme to Smith.
Fuck you jason sehorn. I mean c'mon! Steve smith vs Jason frikkin sehorn????? That was one HELL of a game tho. Epic is right.

McNair was the QB, but it was actually the wide receiver who was tackled just at the one yard line(Titans vs Rams super bowl).

I remember watching that play live and it didn't seem to be anything special, it seemed as though he was a few yards away. Every time I've seen it since, though, it seems to get closer and closer to the endzone.
Warner was money all game. And isaac caught that beautiful rainbow and took it to the house for 70+ yards to win. I still remember marshall streaking down the sidelines for 50+ yards and torrys bobbling td grab. hell of a game.

edit: the pass to az hakim in the 2000 opener vs denver where he and torry were running down the sideline talking to each other all alone was pretty awesome too. Man that was one hell of an offense, prolly the greatest ever.

siege

Banned
Two days after St. Louis Rams quarterback Kurt Warner credited "my savior Jesus Christ" with his team's 23-16 Super Bowl victory, members of the losing team were blaming their last-second defeat on the Lord.

"With 5 seconds remaining and our team on the 10-yard-line, I asked God to grant us a touchdown," Tennessee Titans quarterback Steve "Prayer" McNair said. "I did not ask Him for a nine-yard gain in which a Rams linebacker laid hands on our receiver and smote him to the ground as the clock expired."

Titans running back Eddie George overheard McNair's conversation with the Lord in the huddle and could corroborate the specifics of his request.

"God fucked us," George said.

The best NFL moment ever.

DJ_Tet

Banned
soulja224466 said:
Fuck you jason sehorn. I mean c'mon! Steve smith vs Jason frikkin sehorn????? That was one HELL of a game tho. Epic is right.

I know you are a Rams fan, but Jason Sehorn wasn't/isn't the player he was 3 years ago. Steve Smith is a burgening All Pro at receiver, he's been an All Pro as a return guy. Sehorn didn't have a chance on that play, but to do what he did. He gambled and went for the pick, he missed. You can't really blame him, Smith might be the fastest WR in the NFL. He knew he had a bad angle, he went for the only play available, the pick. He missed. 3 years ago he might have gotten it. There's a reason why Sehorn doesn't have a job this year, and it's not Steve Smith. It's because Sehorn is done.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Shinobi said:
Tell me about it...and he was falling backwards too. That game was in Buffalo, my jaw hit the floor when I saw it.

That play changed my life forever! At first I wanted to be a wideout after that I was a QB through and through!

Miguel said:
Haha, are you serious?

Man, talk about making up stuff. :p

I could have sworn someone picked it out of the air. Oh well.

Well, I'm sure the Colts wished it was them getting the trip to face the Cowboys in the Super Bowl. And now knowing the result of that Super Bowl, part of me wishes it was them.

One of my most favorite moments that I have ever seen while being alive and having a grasp of football was the two wildcard games two years ago on Sunday. What a great day of football.

You had two blowouts the day before, and the second and third largest comebacks in the next day, one involving my 49ers ;) And the niners really didn't even start on the comeback until the middle of the third quarter.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
My favorite cunningham play was from his rookie season I think, goaline play against the Giants, rolled out right, got his legs taken out, planted with his left hand stood up and immediately gunned a td pass.

DJ_Tet said:
I know you are a Rams fan, but Jason Sehorn wasn't/isn't the player he was 3 years ago. Steve Smith is a burgening All Pro at receiver, he's been an All Pro as a return guy. Sehorn didn't have a chance on that play, but to do what he did. He gambled and went for the pick, he missed. You can't really blame him, Smith might be the fastest WR in the NFL. He knew he had a bad angle, he went for the only play available, the pick. He missed. 3 years ago he might have gotten it. There's a reason why Sehorn doesn't have a job this year, and it's not Steve Smith. It's because Sehorn is done.

Whoa dude! You're preaching to the choir here. Believe me when I say nobody wanted that bum on our team last year. sehorn didn't stand a chance against smith, the whole world(except lovie smith and mike martz) knew it.

DJ_Tet

Banned
hah, so were you in the "shoulda gone for a TD" camp? tough call honestly for me, but you guys did have momentum before the FG

I, unlike the media, actually followed the rams all season. I saw martz make the exact same call against arizona, in arizona late last year. Wilkins kicked the FG, and we went to OT and won. Martz figured, "hey it worked before!", so i'm guessing that's why he made that decision again vs carolina.

I honestly don't blame him either way, no matter which decision he made. The media was out for blood tho, they crucified martz for that decision. I disagree with that. Martz knew his team, he knew what the best decision was.

Besides, the rams had chances to win in OT. Despite bruce's (still my fave player) and faulk's best attempts, bulger killed us. And wilkins, who martz nicknamed "money" missed a 52 yarder. Not to mention that bullshit TD call you guys got in the second quarter, it just wasn't our day.

Shinobi

levious said:
My favorite cunningham play was from his rookie season I think, goaline play against the Giants, rolled out right, got his legs taken out, planted with his left hand stood up and immediately gunned a td pass.

Heh, they used to show that highlight all the time...it was bad ass.

Other great moments that I've seen...

Barry Sanders having like 8 Cowboys all over his ass, only to shake them loose and scamper 40 yards for the major.

Dante Hall's ridiculous touchdown at KC two year's ago, where he looked like a fucking pinball. Can't even say the tacklers were embarassed...nothing could've touched him on that play.

Michael Vick's OT touchdown against the Vikings.

Mike Sherman talking shit with Warren Sapp after that nasty hit on Chad Clifton...one of the funniest moments I've ever seen.

Anytime Neon Dieon took it into the end zone and did his two step dance.

Montanta to Taylor in the 1989 Superbowl versus the Bengals.

The '85 Bears...the best defense EVER. Heck, maybe the best team ever.

Rams/Titans in Superbowl XXXIV...fun game, incredible finish.

Leon Lett running a ball back 64 yards against the Bills in Superbowl XXVII, only to get his hot dogging ass stripped by Don Beebe.

The same dumb fuck Leon Lett fucking things up for the Cowboys, who'd blocked Miami's field goal to seemingly win the snowy Thanksgiving Day clash...only for that fat ass to slide into the ball and make it live, enabling the Fish to recover.
lol.gif

There's probably a ton more highlights, but those are standouts for me.

DJ_Tet

Banned
soulja224466 said:
Besides, the rams had chances to win in OT. Despite bruce's (still my fave player) and faulk's best attempts, bulger killed us. And wilkins, who martz nicknamed "money" missed a 52 yarder. Not to mention that bullshit TD call you guys got in the second quarter, it just wasn't our day.

No doubt the Rams had chances to win in OT. Refresh my memory on the bullshit TD call though? That game was like 3 separate games for me, much like the Super Bowl, it was a shame one team had to lose.

edit---Shinobi, good call on "The Human Joystick." That run by Hall is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

The fumble (questionable call. shoulda been ruled an incomplete forward pass) by delhomme on the 7 yard line which was recovered by the panthers (again, questionable) for a TD.

Yah right, lol.

Anyway, i do like the panthers as an alternate team. i live in southern va, so they get a lot of pub around here. Well not nearly as much as the deadskins, but still. I'm hoping I get to go to ericson stadium to see them hook up with the rams later this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom