• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon "exposes" toxicity among male gamers

Cosmogony

No, what I'm saying is if you're gonna try and start a decent thread don't start it with 'lol more sjw bullshit' (original post has now been edited). Doesn't really set things off an decent footing, does it?

What seems to be the problem? The OP expresses his opinion, either in the title or in the OP. You get to express your counter-opinion. Again, what seems to be the problem?

Unless you're suggesting that opinionated OPs somehow constrict the debate, which is an unreasonable view. No one is under any obligation to agree with the OP: It's never been the case. Why has it suddenly become a problem?

Don't assume I don't know what logical fallacies are because you've read a couple of psychology books.

Logical fallacies do not fall under the provision of psychology books....

You know what a logical fallacy is and yet there you were committing a good old Ad hominem - juniors' opinions are to be mistrusted because of their juniority. You know what a logical fallacy is and yet that didn't stop you from committing one.

And the quality of threads on NeoGAF has substantially dropped in quality since anyone can post.

I think requirements are still in place. I can't start a new thread, for example. If the quality of a thread doesn't appeal to you, there are several options at your disposal. You can voice your distaste, avoid the thread altogether or actively post new quality threads.

I'm not saying they're all shit, but now GAF is riddled with threads about SJWs or feminism. It's pretty much turned into off-topic discussion.

There's some truth to that, though not just in the way you are suggesting. For example, I could cite a self-proclaimed Political Scientist who has said on a number of occasions he or she pretty much despises GAF and who seems to post on these matters alone. Now, I do not have a problem with this stance. I do however have a problem with the attempt to portray the situation as the fault of one side and one side alone.

Threads die sooner if you don't take part.

The editors at Polygon are unhinged from reality. They constantly shit on video games (and the people that play them) because they hate their own lives. Gaming journalists think they're above the industry that they work in, and they think they're more talented than they are. They never wanted a career writing about something as inconsequential as video games, so they constantly jump into the dumpster fire of identity politics to convince themselves that they're doing something worthwhile. They honestly think they're morally superior to gamers, and that's why they insult them with such vitriol.

Last edited:
Anita Sarkeesian:
Developers have come up to me and said, “You talked about my game in your video series — I messed up back then, and I’m never going to do that again.” That’s the best praise I can hear about my work. It means that real shifts will occur in the industry as more developers start being aware of the overt and subtle ways they are perpetuating oppression.

this quote to me is incredible

Banned
The current air of gaming journalism reeks of people who are resentful and insecure about their favorite hobby not being seen as a truly viable artistic medium.

The Skull

Anita Sarkeesian:
Developers have come up to me and said, “You talked about my game in your video series — I messed up back then, and I’m never going to do that again.” That’s the best praise I can hear about my work. It means that real shifts will occur in the industry as more developers start being aware of the overt and subtle ways they are perpetuating oppression.

this quote to me is incredible

Truly is scary that she is having this kind of influence of developers. I would argue out of fear more so than any credible critique of their work.

iconmaster

Banned
And the quality of threads on NeoGAF has substantially dropped in quality since anyone can post.

I'll offer you something other than a hot take, but I don't know if it'll land for you --

The article makes a number of assumptions with which I fundamentally disagree. For one, that gender is a social construct. But let those slide..

Framing the issue as one of "toxic" males is a foolish strategy. How could a male become un-toxic? If the toxicity is in the male rather than in the behavior, there's no hope for change. It inheres in him.

And if toxicity inheres, the only point in bringing it up is put down those who exhibit it, which probably makes you feel great if you're convinced you're not among the problem class (but how could you know that, really? Perhaps your own toxicity simply remains unexposed.)

The article is designed to alienate. It's designed to inflame. It's actually counter-productive toward fixing anything.

Arimer

I Imagine their next hard hitting report will be Why democrats are losers and they'll only ask republicans. Or Is the earth round and they'll only ask flat earthers. As i said before it seems really twisted to only ask people that have an idealogical slant or financial reason to push all this.

If mlaes are any more toxic than females which I doubt due to recent studies. I think the simple answer is that Male's are competitive by nature, They make up the vast majorityt of most game players excluding mobile and puzzle games, and the internet is an anonymous thing so it leads to trash talk. If you can't figure out that you can mute these people then maybe the article should be "why are people to dumb to use tools available to protect themselves"

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
"Toxic" has become an absurd term; I'm not sure there are any intellectually legitimate uses left.

Remember, this is the same term used by self-affirmation articles about "cleansing toxic people from your life" so you can radiate unblemished, and without question has much deeper roots in the new-age nonsense behind cleansing and purifying your body than is generally acknowledged.

So, competitive and anonymous online spaces become somewhat aggressive; this is no surprise, and belongs to the medium. I don't like it, myself, and don't really ever use voice chat on anything. But it isn't some kind of toxic infection or social contagion that the good people with pseudo-degrees can diagnose and help us cleanse. That only plays into their own ridiculous sense of purity, and their need to be seen as enlightened reformers. These articles are so clearly based in a kind of need for self-importance.

Bolivar687

Banned
i-am-a-gamer-not-becauseidont-have-alife-mac-but-21663797.png

Gander

Banned
The current air of gaming journalism reeks of people who are resentful and insecure about their favorite hobby not being seen as a truly viable artistic medium.
There was a brief time where everything was aligned for the industry and gaming media.

G4TV had been made available to most cable providers while TV was still big. It brought with it Tech Support shows, Gaming shows and Manga shows.

The industry will never see a sweet spot like that again.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm not reading that. I've learned not to read Polygon unless someone I trust vouches for a specific article. So, is this just another "if you are white and male, you suck!" article or is this one actually thoughtful and well-written? Honest question, not rhetorical.

Because just the term "toxic masculinity" alone pisses me off. There are certainly men out there who are assholes, but on the surface at least there appears to be this movement lately to look at men negatively until they can prove they are "worthy" of not being labeled toxic and misogynistic, which is really dumb.

klosos

I played alot of everquest in the late 90's - early 2000's and unreal so on so on and i cant remember anything that i would class as harrassment ( in my experience) Edit - there was one guy that got pissed in a wow raid years ago and got kicked from the guild , he sent me in game mail calling me names for weeks that could be counted as harrasment , i just found it hilarious . Unfortunatley there are issues when it comes to Online Harrassment and people saying things they wouldnt have the back bone to say face to face.

However how do you deal with it ? well i only see a few ways as its been pointed out Mute, block and report , that would also mean the platform holders will have to take reports seriously which lets be honest they dont . also you have the LFG channels on Xbox and forums to try and find like minded people .So if you want a friendly environment to play in , you have to be more pro-active

There is one more thing people can do and that is stop being a fucking Pusssy and if someone shit talks you shit talk them back , no one as the right not to be offended online or the real world life does not work that way.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
That's childish...is it that hard to admit girls may have been swayed away from gaming because of attitude of guys?

Is it hard to admit that calling male gamers toxic is pushing guys away or do we not care about that?

The patriarchal norms that inform misogyny and sexism don’t do boys and men any favors. A lot of the issues in gaming are tied to sexual objectification and denigration of girls.

But we should likewise be talking about what it means to dehumanize boys and men. We don’t really talk about boys and men as violence objects. Those things are interrelated, especially as they are manifested in gaming.

As a society and as parents and adults, we have failed to educate them, and I think that we’ve left young men woefully unprepared in ways that end up being harmful — not only to women, but to themselves.

If you start talking about what it means to separate violence from masculinity, you really have to accept the fact that maybe feminists have some good ideas, which people are not that willing to do.

I would like to see an expansion on this.

A. there are more women going into higher ed and earning their degrees than men
B. there are more women in the workforce than men

As women have gained more power and we're transitioning from single-income households (not that this had to do with women's lib, but employers realized they could get 2 employees for 1 if wages remained stagnant; supply/demand), men are feeling left behind.

Much time has been spent saying "toxic masculinity," but I find very little writing about what healthy masculinity looks like.

Games marketed themselves into a corner by talking about themselves as being something for dudes, by dudes. If an industry segments itself to white dudes of a certain age and a certain income bracket, it’s going to reach a saturation point.

Yo I remember seeing Every. Last. One. of those ads in video game magazines. I'm not afraid to say that I might have rubbed one out or two to them as well. And that's before addressing what you could see in PC Accelerator.

*AHEM*

When I first started at GameSpot, there were men, readers, who responded with comments literally saying that women should only exist in the games media to be attractive to men. And [that] by [me] not fitting into their definition of attractive, GameSpot had betrayed this idea by hiring me. They had hired a woman who fell outside the narrow purpose of women in this space.

Those people who complained are not interested in our perspectives, our experiences, our opinions, but just to be “hot” for them.

Speaking of Gamer Gater culture, this reminds me of "ComicsGate," the gist of which can be observed here:

They can say that these are “just games,” and that they have no impact beyond themselves. But the attitudes about women, and the roles women have in the world, are influenced by the fantasy that games offer.

They have this idea that gaming is like a magic circle that they enter, where they enjoy a fantasy, and then they come out of it into the real world without having been influenced at all. It doesn’t work like that.

I've seen people say stuff like this on post-#ShowerGate Gaf almost verbatim. "I just want to talk about games." "I don't want politics in my games."

The don't really consider how play and discourse overlap, which is why the tone of OT comes over here (See: that thread about the Kingdom Come gameamentuary; some folks who have no real interest in the game or the documentary still pat the devs on the back for being "anti-SJW").

Hegemonic or traditional masculinity is often constructed in terms of physical strength, good looks, cognitive hardness, minimal emotion. This is the sort of masculinity that is often portrayed in the media: the strong and silent hero who rescues the girl.

Men who are seen as “nerdy” are often persecuted for not adhering to these norms. However, instead of rejecting this traditional masculine construct and pursuing alternative forms of masculinity, it seems that some nerdy men are doubling down on the one bit of traditional masculinity that is available to them, which is technological competence.

What I think is happening with this line of thinking is that if technology becomes the domain of women, that puts their masculinity at risk. This is why they are so intent on keeping technology as the purview of men. It’s where they see themselves as having dominance and control.

INCELS

There's also a term that alt-righters/incels use for the guys who get all the girls, but I forget the nomenclature.

Adding blackness to anything will upset people. Every time black characters are given top billing in games, you get an uprising from, I’m going to assume, young white dudes or folks who feel like they are losing some kind of exposure.

There are a lot of people in the gaming establishment who are afraid to speak up. Game companies don’t want to alienate what they think is their base.

There’s a story mode in the latest Madden game. When it turned out that the main character was a black guy, we had a whole bunch of white folks on the internet who are like, “Well, what if I wanted to be me? Why can’t I be a white dude in this game?”

My answer to that was: Why can’t we have a story about a character who just happens to be black? Then if you want to compound that with the actual statistics of who is in the NFL, then we can have that conversation as well. But people don’t like statistics, and they don’t like truth.

I have nothing to add.

I played Friday the 13th and saw how African-American characters were targeted to be killed, while white characters were left alone. I challenged someone for calling me the N-word, and I got banned.

Imagine being so racist that you find new, ****ed up, digital ways to be a POS.

We saw in Charlottesville that there are people who just want to have a white nationalist nation away from everyone else. They think that America is that place. That goes back a long time, but I think it’s also wrapped up in a lot of other narratives, including the internet and games.

Over my dead body and those of at least four living generations between my side of the family and my wife's.

Edit: Posted on accident.

Look at the narrative around GamerGate. There’s hardly any mention of people of color. It’s all about three people who are either white or white-passing.​

*takes a long, hardy sip of tea*

They’re starting to freak out because they feel deeply entitled to this space. They talk about it like the last bastion of masculinity. Like, ‘These feminazis have taken everything from us, now they are coming for our games.’​

This sense of privilege is tied to patriarchy as well. It’s not just games. Men are told in our society that they should get fast cars and hot women and good jobs. And when they don’t get those things, they attack women they perceive as being successful.​
One of the ways they attack me is by saying that I’m rich. Because I had a successful Kickstarter, they claimed that I was loaded and I was a trust fund kid. They concoct these wild conspiracy theories as a way for them to demonize women because these men don’t have what they think they should have.​

LoL, Anita swinging haymakers.

WHY DO SO MANY MEN IN GAMING EXHIBIT A PERSECUTION COMPLEX?

**Moderator edited**

They pull out all kinds of facts and figures about why white men are the most persecuted in Western society. They really believe it, and will jump on anything that allows them to embrace that persecuted identity more fully.

Word?

(I knew this)

The current discourse about the alt-right in America is showing that these aren’t social outcasts, but people in the neighborhood. It’s Joe who always picks his kids up from school, whose wife makes the best cookies.

It’s no longer useful to paint these individuals as a kind of Unabomber hiding out in the woods. They’re your boss at work, or the guy that you go to lunch with.

They seem like regular dudes, but they are holding this mentality that comes out when they’re on the internet.

No ****! We got some here.

Gonna have to reply to the rest in a part 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zog

Banned
It's obvious that with the rise of Youtube/Twitch, gamers didn't need the "gaming press" any longer. So their new tactic is to smear and attack their old fan base in hopes of regaining clicks. Don't click their site and give them ad money to propogate their hateful and bigoted stereotypes.

Clicking on their site doesn't mean that my browser let's their ads load.

Barsinister

Banned
I am back from my hiatus and I would like to contribute something to the discussion, if I may. Actually, it is my 14 year old daughter who I believe could add something to this thread. She is an "Overwatch" player and she's quite good, in my opinion. She has experienced the type of harassment that is in the article. She has come to me crying on a couple of occasions. My reaction has always been for her to give back as good as she gets. I now wonder if my advice was the best advice. I asked her to write something and she agreed. Let's call her "Little Sinister".

As most of you people know Overwatch can be a very toxic community, so I had some of my share. As being a female, I can be very emotional. I tend not too at times, though it is very hard. When I witness the toxic behavior of others it makes me sick of playing the game. Why even play it when all people do is scream at each other? I've met some other female players online who have probably met the same toxic outcome of the Overwatch community.

My first experience was when I was playing competitive, we had just started and we were getting set up. All I did was say hello and asked who else had a mic, already I got yelled at by some guy who told me to shut up and called me a whore. Other experiences was people expecting me to play Mercy, not too bad. Look, I hate feminism and the outcome of it, but in reality, people can be so harsh when they can't be seen. All they have is a voice. They don't expect to be hit.

For those of who deny any toxic behavior in video games are closed minded. You probably would say that "they're just words" and "you can get over them". How can you play the game when the person wont talk and all they would do is say what a horrible player you are? They'd scream in your face and spout out nonsense, it makes it hard to focus on the game. "Well you could just leave the voice chat." Not if they are going to continue it some other game and throw it as well! You have to face the person and stop the nonsense!

[those of you who think they are toxic] Imagine saying hi to yourself in a video game. Already, the other you is screaming in your headphones or blasting out your speaker? Would you want it to continue?

Barsinister is back again with a coda. I was a pretty sensitive kid myself. I couldn't do the things that I was asking her to do myself. I hope you will take this in the spirit it was intended. I didn't edit her words in any way. I read them just as you all did. I don't rightly understand some of it either. I'm going to ask what she means by her last sentence.

I say males should just stop playing online and stop paying for it too. Let women sustain that business model.
That's childish...is it that hard to admit girls may have been swayed away from gaming because of attitude of guys?

Childish? How so?
You said it yourself, in the same generalizing tone the article used, that people born with a penis who share an interest in online gaming also share as well the responsiblity for the acts of those who say mean things online to people, especially girls, exclusively girls are what matter here, thus what happens here is sexism, thus all girls are so strong they 99% quit gaming and not only online gaming. And they have the gall not to admit to their sins or atone for them.

The call to action here is more articles like this that say, in no ambiguous terms, that games can be harmful and make people sexist (and violent too, according to credible research by people whose livelihoods depend on making articles and heavily interested in new political battlegrounds) so the kneejerk reaction you quote is actually a perfectly reasonable solution, much more effective than word filters, reports, banning people from the same group of spammers via guilt-by-association, or nintendo that restricts voice chat to local ethernet only.

Online gaming is a wild west where people of a certain sex are threatened and in constant fear and terror, is what the article says. Go all the way in. Ban all males. All the better if males don't participate on their own. Let's consider the victims concerns.

What do you want? Keep the status quo as you wallow in self-pity about the state of things? Ban a few people for the example to make the rest of males merely think about changing their potential serial harasser behavior, and then, hopefully, they increasingly get banned the more they do more infractions and then, hopefully, we wait for the collective penis instumentality consciousness to transmit the message to all males? Wait that long with each passing day a continuous supplice and living hell for all victims? No such considerations are affordable anymore.

People shouldn't have to turn off voice chat with people they don't know. The male population should be culled so that the potential causes for trash talking (a male thing) are avoided altogether.

Ms Leigh Alexander says "gamers don't have to be your audience anymore" which echoes a similar sentiment. The other forum dwellers advocate transgressors should not only have their account, but also their game and console banned from all games, which then prevents them and anyone in their immediate vicinity sharing a console and associating with those jerks and thus probably jerks themselves too, from ever replaying the games. Voice chat filters have false positives, but they don't catch nearly enough males, or ex-males, to make online gaming a feminist heaven.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I'll offer you something other than a hot take, but I don't know if it'll land for you --

The article makes a number of assumptions with which I fundamentally disagree. For one, that gender is a social construct. But let those slide..

Framing the issue as one of "toxic" males is a foolish strategy. How could a male become un-toxic? If the toxicity is in the male rather than in the behavior, there's no hope for change. It inheres in him.

And if toxicity inheres, the only point in bringing it up is put down those who exhibit it, which probably makes you feel great if you're convinced you're not among the problem class (but how could you know that, really? Perhaps your own toxicity simply remains unexposed.)

The article is designed to alienate. It's designed to inflame. It's actually counter-productive toward fixing anything.

Don’t you get it? The cure for toxic masculinity is to embrace femininity. Become better, become female.

SpartanN92

Banned
Wow! I bet that was some in depth reporting. They probably had to go underground for this story!
I wonder which source they had to sleep with to get such a ground breaking exclusive story.
I smell a Peabody award for Polygon in the future.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
The male population should be culled so that the potential causes for trash talking (a male thing) are avoided altogether.

Is this poorly written satire? Expertly written trolling? I have read far too many insane ramblings by radicals to tell the difference sometimes these days.

Your focus on the title of "toxic men" is myopic.

Try focusing on keywords like "masculinity" and "patriarchy."

The article does not pose any new era feminist arguments, but old ones simplified for general consumption.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm more offended by some of those trolls online that blast their shitty music through the microphone, than I am with what some nobody I will never see or ever care about when the game is done, says about me.

Snoopycat

Banned
The thread is full of “zero effort hot takes” because this is all that ever needs to be said about this subject:

Is it really? So people who are being subjected to tirades of racist/sexist abuse is a subject that doesn't deserve any better than hot takes and handwaving?

Isa

Much time has been spent saying "toxic masculinity," but I find very little writing about what healthy masculinity looks like.
Myself as well though I'd wager it leans towards the beta, feminine, and generally submissive.

Yo I remember seeing Every. Last. One. of those ads in video game magazines. I'm not afraid to say that I might have rubbed one out or two to them as well. And that's before addressing what you could see in PC Accelerator.

Hell yeah, PC Accelerator!!! I loved that mag, that had the discs with the babes right? I think I still have those in a box somewhere. Didn't that mag become the Official Xbox Magazine eventually?

Dunki

Yeah I will not read this. I tried it but in the end it is the opinion of people who follow the same ideology who have been brainwashed by many lies and also who have no ideo about the gaming culture but paint it as a huge toxic place for women. While it maybe has become a huge txoic place for feminists (thanks Anita) it is not a toxic place for women for sure.

Otherwise this article is pretty much trash Sorry I stopped when the yused Anita quotes from it. And I also have read the end but... it is also pretty interesting how Polygon does not even allow comments on it and will publish the best comments in another article. And I bet I already know how hese comments will look like.

NeoGaf has gotten weird and very different I see.
Neogaf is certinaly very anti feministic which this article is full of. So yeah if you are a feminist you will have a hard life here for sure.

Last edited:

Alfadawg

Banned
But gaming culture is pretty much hating women, calling people gay or homo while munching Doritos and mountain dew?

What exactly do you see as gaming culture?

Alfadawg

Banned
Most would mean that there are some that aren't toxic immature fools.

I could just be mistaken it's just the ones online. I know plenty of cool gamers but we all play Pokémon go

Zog

Banned
Most would mean that there are some that aren't toxic immature fools.

I could just be mistaken it's just the ones online. I know plenty of cool gamers but we all play Pokémon go

...but only the males can be 'toxic immature fools'?

Dunki

Speaking of Gamer Gater culture, this reminds me of "ComicsGate," the gist of which can be observed here:

Yeah I had a lot of contact with Gamer Gater and this is completly wrong. GAmer Gater in the end were anti-feminists for sure but not hater of women. Far from it.
I've seen people say stuff like this on post-#ShowerGate Gaf almost verbatim. "I just want to talk about games." "I don't want politics in my games."

Also Wrong. Games often deal with politics JRPGs for example but the way it is integrated and talked about is totally different. When for example a "game" like Gone home is praised and talked about as GOTY for one shitty twist in the end. Then I see that politics are priortized over the games. This is the problem. Poltics are cool but they should not overtake the game especially in reports about it. When I see how Waypoint compaes Monsterhunter with Imperialsim and the Trump Family in a fucking review I had enough about it

Imagine being so racist that you find new, ****ed up, digital ways to be a POS.
Yeah I also would love to know how they have confroned them. The tone is here very important. If she came over as a modern feminist oh dou of course she would get hate and the easiest way to upset this person is the N word. Its pretty simple. When you offend a person you will chose the most obvious. If you are black or complain about thi the N word. if you are fat say something about your body, If you are "ugly" then go for this etc. That is how insults work. You always go for the obvious you guess would people make upset.

*takes a long, hardy sip of tea*
Again ver wrong I have seen so many black people on gamergate, so many women so many trans people who all stood up. To show this people even made a movement called not your shield which was not only dismissed by journalists but also ridiculed as fake etc.

These people here were gathered in a few hours to make a statement which was riciculed by the press

So yes you can take long sip full of your lies you seem to digest on a daily basis.

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
Polygon is toxic... not clicking. Just came in to say, maybe just dont post their stuff here.

Last edited:

Alfadawg

Banned
I think a lot of gamers find it difficult to interact with the real world. They think all women are like princess peach or some shit and if it ain't white, it ain't right.

It's not just gaming tbh, but geek culture really. Just look at starwars and that comics video. Geeks were rightly ridiculed for their lack of social skills and overall bad decisions.

The internet has really given them a voice that shouldn't be heard.

It's just none stop hate and sometimes I really hate being a gamer.

You guys need to fix up

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
Is it really? So people who are being subjected to tirades of racist/sexist abuse is a subject that doesn't deserve any better than hot takes and handwaving?

There are reporting and blocking systems in place. There have been for years. Report the person who hurt your fee fees, block them, and move on with your life like everyone has done for years and years before going to Twitter for a pity party/retaliation mob became trendy.

Really, what else can be done? People are assholes, news at 11:00. It’s not handwaving, it’s stating a universal truth. Racism, sexism...these things existed long before videogames came along and invented all the evils of the world.

Dunki

I think a lot of gamers find it difficult to interact with the real world. They think all women are like princess peach or some shit and if it ain't white, it ain't right.

It's not just gaming tbh, but geek culture really. Just look at starwars and that comics video. Geeks were rightly ridiculed for their lack of social skills and overall bad decisions.

You guys need to fix up
This is a really bullshit take from all of this.

Again gamer are not anti women gamer are anti feminism nothing else. But yes many are social awkward which was the reason why many of them were bullied out of society and then created in gaming a sub culture in which everyone could be the one he/she wanted to be.
When gaming then became Mainstream and other people came in whcih was fine. What not fine was people like Anita telling them that this what you like and love should not exist because I do not like it. Instead of making the gaming industry welcome for everyone people now argued that a lot of shit these people do not like should be removed. The gamers are dead articles did the rest of gamers not feeliong welcome or threaten in their social escape zone which they created. It feels a lot like they are bullied again out of something they really love. Of course they will defend their last line.

As for the Comic Industry. Many people do not care if a character is white or black HOWEVER what people do not like because it is not only lazy and pandering is the fucking gender and race switch. Instead of creating new charcters which are unique etc they just replace established ones. Like Iron Man for example.

Zog

Banned

You guys need to fix up

Just be glad that women have you to look out for them.

Top Bottom