• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Popular gaming opinions that are just....wrong

Hey GAF, it's been like ages since I made a thread. So I thought....what are some popular gaming takes that are just....wrong?

Here's one of mine:

-RE4's Island is just a shooting gallery, worst part of the game

Wrong...it's a masterpiece and integral part of the game. RE4 wouldn't be RE4 without it. First off, the Regeneradores reside here, aka these fuckers.

regenerador_by_jaimito89-d6uh1oe.png

And the way the Island is paced...frenetic enemy encounters and then the encounters with them...it's brilliant pacing that shouldn't be ignored.

What say you, GAF? What are popular gaming opinions that you don't agree with?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
yea im surprised people hate the island. I have no issue with it.

I personally thinks that fixed camera angle should not be return to horror games. Its a dumb mechanic imo, you cant see whats infront of you because of the damn camera. To me its just a "cheap" way to make games scary

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Turn based JRPGs are “strategic”.

Yeah right. Vast majority of those games you just pick “attack” from a menu over and over until you win. The best “strategy” is to grind some XP until you overpower the enemy. At best you might have to use some real big-brain strategy such as “heal the guy with low HP”, “use the element that this enemy is weak against”, or even “don’t attack while the enemy is doing their counterattack stance”.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Halo was always bad. It should have enhanced movements like Titanfall or Doom(even though Halo has TTK so you have to stand still and shoot your enemies after moving that fast)
Halo has slower movement because its "dumbed" for consoles(even though most console shooters have faster movement)

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Halo was always bad. It should be enhanced movements like Titanfall or Doom(even though Halo has TTK so you have to stand still and shoot your enemies after moving that fast)
Halo has slower movement because its "dumbed" for consoles(even though most console shooters have faster movement)

Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

So slow and dumbed down...

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Yeah right. Vast majority of those games you just pick “attack” from a menu over and over until you win. The best “strategy” is to grind some XP until you overpower the enemy. At best you might have to use some real big-brain strategy such as “heal the guy with low HP”, “use the element that this enemy is weak against”, or even “don’t attack while the enemy is doing their counterattack stance”.
Or in this case, the game is turn based so you can stare at your anime waifu butt jiggle.

PhaseJump

Banned
Nintendo saved gaming.

NES didn't save gaming. The market was waiting for any device that would offer better, arcade style graphics. NES capitalized on it by being in the right place at the right time, with the best games.

The reality is they were a bunch of anti-competitive, anti-consumer, ruthless cutthroats. Dictating to 3rd parties how much software they were allowed to sell, playing politics with their chip supply chain to favor those who are loyal to their brand Developing for other consoles, computers, or attempting to grow your company? Better run it by Nintendo first, who could snap you out of existence or throw you into litigation you can't afford for attempting to circumvent their cartridge publishing money racket.

Sega and EA saved gaming, from Nintendo.

Last edited:

Daytonabot

Banned
The NES saved the game industry. It was the only thing going on in the 80s that is worth caring about and ubiquitous across the developed world.
That's an interesting one. It certainly held the industry back, as Nintendo's anti-competition policies kept third-party games from coming to significantly better hardware like the SMS and TG-16.

LordCBH

"FFXV is trash. Worst FF game ever made".

Wheres back in the real world, it's probably the best FF ever made and certainly in the top five of JRPG games.

I like 15, but what the actual Fuck? Top 59 sure. But nowhere near top 5. Or top 10.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Halo was always bad. It should have enhanced movements like Titanfall or Doom. even though Halo has TTK so you have to stand still and shoot your enemies after moving that fast
Halo has slower movement because its "dumbed" for consoles even though most console shooters have faster movement
it's ok to say you never played any Halo games before.

My unpopular opinion is that technological stagnation is good for the games industry. High development costs are what have forced devs to converge on the samey AAA model, if technology stagnates eventually development costs will fall and we'll see a rise in the proportion of innovative, high-quality games like we saw in the SNES, PS1, and PS2 generations.

Daytonabot

Banned
Before Davinci Resolve became more accessible, people on Windows always had to cope with the absence of Final Cut Pro on Windows and use inferior products pretending they were good. Same with Sonic, now that you don't have to buy a console competing with the makers of Mario, you no longer have to pretend its good.
By that logic, Nintendo fans would have had a lot more pretending to do, since they weren't even competitive with Sega in many other genres.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

I was in the same boat as you, only having played Chrono Trigger and a few FF titles. Then I got into Shin Megami Tensei and realized how fun and how much of a challenge a turn based battle system can be.

Bernkastel

By that logic, Nintendo fans would have had a lot more pretending to do, since they weren't even competitive with Sega in many other genres.
Nintendo didn't try to create alternative to Sega games(like PSO or Virtua Fighter) and so no one pretended about how Nintendo made a better alternative. Making alternatives for your service is not bad(Sega Sports was so much better than EA sports), but when the point of your alternative is that its only here because its meant to rival something from another console, I don't see the point when Sega does not make hardware anymore. I can't believe Sega sold their Sports division (not just an alternative, it was simply better) but kept Sonic.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Hey GAF, it's been like ages since I made a thread. So I thought....what are some popular gaming takes that are just....wrong?

Here's one of mine:

-RE4's Island is just a shooting gallery, worst part of the game

Wrong...it's a masterpiece and integral part of the game. RE4 wouldn't be RE4 without it. First off, the Regeneradores reside here, aka these fuckers.

regenerador_by_jaimito89-d6uh1oe.png

And the way the Island is paced...frenetic enemy encounters and then the encounters with them...it's brilliant pacing that shouldn't be ignored.

What say you, GAF? What are popular gaming opinions that you don't agree with?
Re4 island in VR is THE best part. At this point you're already op and murder everything in your path

T4keD0wN

• "oh let me tell you this Ubisoft formula is real bad". Oh did i mention that BOTW and elden ring are my favourite games. - the best one
  • Controller players (aimbot) have a disadvantage against mouse and keyboard players (no aimbot) is ridiculous
  • JRPG characters moaning, groaning and yelling every 3 seconds is acceptable
  • "Joel was a good guy and not a genocidal maniac" -LOL

- Forspoken is generic

- Bayonetta 2 is for casuals. Also that Umbran Climax is "broken".

- inFAMOUS Second Son was a bad game

- Extra pixels on a screen which make the game look slightly better matter more than performance and fluid inputs

- Interactive movies are better than oldschool game design

- The concept that any game which also releases on 8th gen console is "next gen"

- X classic made before year 2000 is the greatest game of all time

- A game can be fun but still be bad and a game can be boring but still be good

- Devil May Cry 5 is peak character action combat

- MGS2 raiden was a bad character

- FFIX is the most underrated Final Fantasy game

Last edited:
Top Bottom