• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Popular gaming opinions that are just....wrong

radewagon

Breath of the Wild is an amazing game. I found it to be a boring walking simulator.
While I definitely enjoyed it more than a walking simulator, the loss of traditional dungeons was a huge letdown. Also, destructible weapons were a stupid design choice. It's a fine game, but easily one of my least favorite of the Zelda titles.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Saturn was not designed to make 3D and additional components were soldered directly at the last minute by SEGA's CEO himself.
The last part is dumb, but I thought 3D for the Saturn was an after-thought?

wtf were quads all about?

cireza

The last part is dumb, but I thought 3D for the Saturn was an after-thought?
Of course not... That's the issue here. You believe things you read without even using 2 seconds your common sense.

Same as Saturn can't do transparency. Same shit everytime.

Quads was a choice that wasn't more stupid than triangles at a time where companies were still pioneering the technology, and it actually had advantages over triangles...

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Everytime I see people claiming a game is GOTY material before even having played it makes me want to slap them in the face.

As for me I see lots of popular opinions that to me are just plain wrong, most of them related to the praise the most popular games seem to get when in my eyes they are the most generic shit with overused mechanics and 0 creativity. But I won't get into specifics.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Of course not... That's the issue here. You believe things you read without even using 2 seconds your common sense.

Same as Saturn can't do transparency. Same shit everytime.

Quads was a choice that wasn't more stupid than triangles at a time where companies were still pioneering the technology, and it actually had advantages over triangles...
The 3D graphics on Saturn were all just clever hacks since it had no true geometry engine or triangle/polygon setup engine or 3D rendering engine.
The Saturn really had no hardware to produce proper polygon graphics. At least not standard triangles. Everything 3D was a hack of 2D sprites to look 3D.

This suggests that the Saturn was initially designed as a 2D system with 3D bolted on, last minute.

Last edited:
Turn based JRPGs are “strategic”.

Yeah right. Vast majority of those games you just pick “attack” from a menu over and over until you win. The best “strategy” is to grind some XP until you overpower the enemy. At best you might have to use some real big-brain strategy such as “heal the guy with low HP”, “use the element that this enemy is weak against”, or even “don’t attack while the enemy is doing their counterattack stance”.
I don't think I know any that has said they're strategic. If that's the case then it isn't a popular opinion.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
60fps is better than 30fps
Mr Rogers Clown GIF

shiru

Banned
Framerate is not important

Graffix (even the slightest increase) matter more than performance and playability

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I was in the same boat as you, only having played Chrono Trigger and a few FF titles. Then I got into Shin Megami Tensei and realized how fun and how much of a challenge a turn based battle system can be.
Yeah I did say “the vast majority”. SMT is the notable exception. Although I think it’s more the case that SMT is just very punishing for screwing up. Basic idea isn’t much different.

I don't think I know any that has said they're strategic. If that's the case then it isn't a popular opinion.
Really? I feel like I used to hear that all the time. “I prefer turn based JRPGs because they’re more strategic”. “It looks like FF7 Remake is going to be a mindless button masher, I wish they stuck with turn based because it’s more strategic”. Etc etc.

Even look at the back of the box for any turn-based JRPG. Almost all of them have the word “strategy” or “strategic” on them.

Using Metacritic or video game awards to prove a game is a masterpiece.

This is such a laughable measure of determining a games quality for multiple reasons:

- Video game "journalists" (lol) are dependend on the publishers for their livelyhood. If publishers refuse to give them early review copies because the journalist gave their last game a bad review then the journalists aren´t going to make money. Conversely for giving a game a great review publishers will reward the reviewer with a new gaming chair or just flat out buy them off. The more influential the reviewer the higher the reward. Game reviewers know this so they are not gonna voice their real opinion on the game publically.

- The majority of gaming journalists are woke political activists who don´t even play video games. Literally everyone that works in a leadership position in the video game industry in a big dev studio in the West is also a woke activist. So the more woke a game is the higher it will review on metacritic and the more awards it will win.

- There is a definite bias towards Nintendo games and also most Sony games. If an unknown studio made identical games then those games would have been rated much lower.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah I did say “the vast majority”. SMT is the notable exception. Although I think it’s more the case that SMT is just very punishing for screwing up. Basic idea isn’t much different.
I think it is. There's a lot of strategy when it comes to party composition and making the most out of your possible options. Have you played any of the mainline titles? Beating SMT V in hard is really hard, but not the kind of hard you can overcome by just levelling up, but rather changing up your strategy.

Another JRPG with actual strategy to it's battles is Crystal Project, with all it's mechanics like bating enemies, sttus effects and other things.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I think it is. There's a lot of strategy when it comes to party composition and making the most out of your possible options. Have you played any of the mainline titles? Beating SMT V in hard is really hard, but not the kind of hard you can overcome by just levelling up, but rather changing up your strategy.

Another JRPG with actual strategy to it's battles is Crystal Project, with all it's mechanics like bating enemies, sttus effects and other things.
Yeah fair enough, the strategy in SMT is mostly about learning the enemies in some new area and then putting a party together that you need to defeat the boss. I’ve played several of the SMT/Persona games. I think the first Persona on PS1 was the only one I ever finished. To me they just become tedious after a while.

I do like proper SRPGs. Looking forward to Tactics Ogre after I finish with Star Ocean 6

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It's not the worst. 8 is. But 15 is right behind it.

8 isn't great. It hasn't aged well and the combat is archaic. Not sure how anybody can go back to 8 (or the original 7 and 9) and enjoy them, but each to their own.

Disagree that 15 is as bad as 8. I just can't believe the hate 15 receives. I'll stand by my opinion that it is the GOAT FF game, that is until 16 comes out. 16 is looking to take the tile from 15, which makes sense as the series has just got better and better with every game.

Bakkus

That's an interesting one. It certainly held the industry back, as Nintendo's anti-competition policies kept third-party games from coming to significantly better hardware like the SMS and TG-16.
SMS better hardware? lmao. Also, TG-16 was a niche console which only sold a few millions worldwide.

MAtgS

All of the Geno worship when Mallow is an objectively better character in every way, including having an actual personality, subplot that progresses over the adventure, & better moveset potential for SSB.

"FF13 gets good once you reach Gran Pulse" It gets better, but that's relative. It's still not good.

"Sonic's shitty friends" is 1 that has bugged me forever & ever. It's a complaint applied only to Sonic & litterally no other franchise in existence. No one raises an eyebrow at Luigi/Toad/Peach/Wario/Yoshi all getting their own spinoff games if that happened to an equal number of Sonic characters the internet would lose its collective shit. The real problem is padding: Sonic Team's stubborn refusal to accept that Sonic games are better when they're short & stuffing in additional gameplay modes that don't compliment the experience.

Bakkus

My unpopular opinion is that technological stagnation is good for the games industry. High development costs are what have forced devs to converge on the samey AAA model, if technology stagnates eventually development costs will fall and we'll see a rise in the proportion of innovative, high-quality games like we saw in the SNES, PS1, and PS2 generations.
Too bad they didn't stagnate BEFORE now when most of the smaller Japanese studios which innovated went bankrupt...

Bakkus

- Video game "journalists" (lol) are dependend on the publishers for their livelyhood. If publishers refuse to give them early review copies because the journalist gave their last game a bad review then the journalists aren´t going to make money. Conversely for giving a game a great review publishers will reward the reviewer with a new gaming chair or just flat out buy them off. The more influential the reviewer the higher the reward. Game reviewers know this so they are not gonna voice their real opinion on the game publically.
Yeah, I think Zero Punctuation has stopped recieving review copies by Sony because he bashed TLOU2 and Horizon FB.

mine - Devil May Cry is slower and less fun than Ninja Gaiden (not wrong)

theirs - Mario is Perfection in videogame form (wrong) there's a bunch of lame sports spinoffs that are shovelware trash, 2D Mario is now reduced to shovelware-rier spinoff bargain bin (oh the irony - from trendsetter to copying trends) - even the most diehard journos admitted Odyssey wasn't capable of saving videogames from klaus schawbian industrial control grid, i find it the average Mario fan likes to rub the scrutiny the Sonic series and positive leaning fans in their face, yet - Mario symbolizes the worst scale of consumerism, pretending as if it's still some gigantic pillar of quality and encouraging this weird obnoxious behavior you see in youtube videos, that would make they're ancestors embarrassed, it's like everyone wants Mario to go through a huger downfall (and Nintendo) than everyone claims Sega and Sonic did - in the long run, because you people are certainly setting up for one......

theirs - Sony will lose this gen (skeptical - somewhat wrong) i don't own a PS5 yet - and i hate a lot of what's they're associated with now - and i semi-blame them for what happened to the Saturn, but honestly.......Playstation has always come out on top each passing gen eitherway, that's just the realistic side of me talking, i buy them for japanese third party games - so do other gamers whom share the same mindset, with that BLM or ideologue pandering going on - if profits fall hard atleast from those things - then they are simply just gonna reverse those from feedback suggestions, it's not like there's any wokeness from the new God of War game at all, supposedly

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

Really? I feel like I used to hear that all the time. “I prefer turn based JRPGs because they’re more strategic”. “It looks like FF7 Remake is going to be a mindless button masher, I wish they stuck with turn based because it’s more strategic”. Etc etc.

Even look at the back of the box for any turn-based JRPG. Almost all of them have the word “strategy” or “strategic” on them.

It's definitely a buzzword that's taken on it's own identity. I think in terms of genre, where everything has to be dumbed down to the smallest common denominator, "strategic," was the PR approved phrasing for "It's turn based," trying to soften the blow and maybe get a few oblivious gamer dollars from people who don't understand or have their decoder ring. Yes, I just made a blanket statement that the general public is stupid. Shocking.

Doing something in real time isn't any more or less strategic than doing it via menus and turns, arguably strategy becomes harder and more married to the gameplay than ever in real time, because you ACTIVELY have to think whilst doing.

People who prefer old school RPGs are in just mixed up in the lingo, I think, in conclusion. Like, there are nights when I'm in a "smoke a bowl and chill," mood and that's ideal for turn based games, whereas sometimes I just want all the pseudo-adrenaline of action games.

I will say that an added Hard mode in this old school re-releases of vintage RPGs could address the issue with the lack of ACTUAL strategy. Even the elements that I'd argue are closer to real strategy, like minmaxing and party makeup would be that much more relevant to the actual gameplay. But I guess that would require alteration to actual code, which is harder than just making everything look like Farmville and re-releasing it. But we're verging off into MY issues now, so I'll part with this reply.

Top Bottom