• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Potential Sega leak from 4chan: Yakuza 8, Virtua Fighter 6, Sonic Frontiers Details, new Jet Set Radio, etc

Cmon sega after streets of rage give us a new guardian and gunstar heroes.

I think Treasure still own those and IIRC Sega didn't purchase their IP the way they did Technosoft a while back. Then again, I don't think Treasure even make games anymore and they're very much a "Sega" developer historically speaking.

A new Alien Soldier would be pretty cool given boss-rush style games are more popular these days than back then.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
It does sound like a wishlist, but it also has some obvious stuff that most likely is in development. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that there will be another Yakuza or another Mario & Sonic game. Sonic Frontiers is already known.

I hope at least one of the non obvious ones (Sonic 5, Jet Set Radio, VF) turns out to be true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Isa

Javthusiast

Banned
Do not tease me with Virtua Fighter 6 if it ain't real.
The Real Housewives Of Beverly Hills Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
The Real Housewives Of Beverly Hills Cat GIF by MOODMAN

Isa

I need more Ichiban in my life. Can't wait to see where the story will go from here. Nice enough list, but very wishy-washy. I still need some Golden Axe and Shining Force love. I want a SMS Collection or Mini. Give me a Saturn Collection and/or Mini while we're compiling dreams that'll never go fulfilled. They'd fit nicely next to another Valkyrie Chronicles and Atlus titles hitting Xbox.

golden axe sega GIF
Golden Retriever Dog GIF

What I wouldn't give man.

Having an animated intro by Powerhouse is really really specific and turned out to be true. If it wasn't for that I would write it off as a wishlist but now I am not so sure.

RGG working on Jet Set Radio, Yakuza8 and VF6 would be great. But I am sure AM2 is co-developing VF6.

RAIDEN1

Virtua Fighter 6 though could be a real possibility what with the recent reboot that came out which was appreciated by the fans and was a test-bed to see if there is any life in Virtua Fighter as a whole, also it having Kiryu-san in it wouldn't be out of the realms of possibility...

I thought someone at SEGA Japan already confirmed a new VF in development but it will be years away.
They would need an outside source to do it. The PSO team is hard at work on PSO2:NG.
I believe the team already confirmed they're working a new PSO game with a huge budget. Given the brilliant work they did with PSO 2 and NG, simply can't wait.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
I thought someone at SEGA Japan already confirmed a new VF in development but it will be years away.

I believe the team already confirmed they're working a new PSO game with a huge budget. Given the brilliant work they did with PSO 2 and NG, simply can't wait.
No official confirmation for Virtua Fighter 6 but the producers strongely suggested the serie has a future...

As for PSO, no confirmation either for a big budget PSO3 but the team is working on a Super Game.
(basically all new Sega division are working on Super Games with the help of arcade teams and outsourcing... as if several Shenmue like projects were on the cook. Nexon injected 200 million dollars into Sega's veins)

Overall, it seems Sega will reduce their games production but raises the budget a la Capcom which isn't a bad thing.
(i have a growing backlog 😅)

Despiralman69 Despiralman69
Yakuza Studio (born from Smilebit and Amusement Vision >>> They could develop the new Jet Set Radio especially since Yokoyama is now leading the Studio. He directed Ollie King)

Last edited:
No official confirmation for Virtua Fighter 6 but the producers strongely suggested the serie has a future...

As for PSO, no confirmation either for a big budget PSO3 but the team is working on a Super Game.
(basically all new Sega division are working on Super Games with the help of arcade teams and outsourcing... as if several Shenmue like projects were on the cook. Nexon injected 200 million dollars into Sega's veins)

Overall, it seems Sega will reduce their games production but raises the budget a la Capcom which isn't a bad thing.
(i have a growing backlog 😅)

Despiralman69 Despiralman69
Yakuza Studio (born from Smilebit and Amusement Vision >>> They could develop the new Jet Set Radio especially since Yokoyama is now leading the Studio. He directed Ollie King)
I'm sure it was on twitter for VF no number given only that it years away. Also, I'm very sure in one of SEGA's recent results, SEGA confirmed that the PSO team is working on a big budget sequel and that SEGA Europe is working on a huge budget FPS

RGGS working on Jet Set reboout, Yakuza 8 and VF at the same time?

C'mon, son
Where does it say RGGS studio is working on JSR game, even if some ex Smilebit staff still work there. I would imagine SEGA will be having various staff for its studios work on the games and RGGS was able to a number of projects at the same like they did for Yakuza, Judgment, Fist of the North star ECT.

I would imagine staff from AM#2 would also be helping on any VF project, maybe they're handling the design and the RGGS team the programming and engine side?

Fat Frog

I'm sure it was on twitter for VF no number given only that it years away. Also, I'm very sure in one of SEGA's recent results, SEGA confirmed that the PSO team is working on a big budget sequel and that SEGA Europe is working on a huge budget FPS
I have no doubt new VF and PSO are being brainstormed within Sega but i didn't find any confirmation on Google.

"The very core of this lies at making sure that the people who have enjoyed and supported Virtua Fighter for so long will also enjoy this potential new title," said Aoki. "If the players aren't there, the planning is all for naught. So, we would like for them to keep enjoying the series and if we're making a new one, it'd have to be a game that lives up to their expectations and hopes."
"Now, this isn't direct confirmation that a new Virtua Fighter is in development, but it is encouraging to see Sega considers Ultimate Showdown enough of a success to openly discuss the fact that they're actively looking into what to do with the storied franchise next."

That's what i remembered : it is strongly suggested...

My guess is like VF5US : Graphics by RGGS (with more people than the usual AM2 core team of 30-50 people) and gameplay by AM2 Takagiri...

Fat Frog

RGGS working on Jet Set reboout, Yakuza 8 and VF at the same time?

C'mon, son
Well, the new Sega divisions are much bigger than the previous Sonic Team, AM2 or RGGS. (for instance, AM1 and AM2 joined these new divisions helping console departments)

Previously, RGGS worked on several Yakuza, Sakura wars (side quests), Monkey Ball banana Mania, VF5US at the same time...

The new division includes RGGS, Sega AMs, outside companies and probably a back up from the new Sega Sapporo Studio...

So yeah, it's far from impossible but they probably won't be released the same year.

What about Yakuza 8 (2023), Jet Set Radio (2025), Virtua Fighter 6 (2027) ?

Last edited:
I have no doubt new VF and PSO are being brainstormed within Sega but i didn't find any confirmation on Google.

"The very core of this lies at making sure that the people who have enjoyed and supported Virtua Fighter for so long will also enjoy this potential new title," said Aoki. "If the players aren't there, the planning is all for naught. So, we would like for them to keep enjoying the series and if we're making a new one, it'd have to be a game that lives up to their expectations and hopes."
"Now, this isn't direct confirmation that a new Virtua Fighter is in development, but it is encouraging to see Sega considers Ultimate Showdown enough of a success to openly discuss the fact that they're actively looking into what to do with the storied franchise next."

That's what i remembered : it is strongly suggested...

My guess is like VF5US : Graphics by RGGS (with more people than the usual AM2 core team of 30-50 people) and gameplay by AM2 Takagiri...
No, that's not it. It was a quote saying the game was years away, but it didn't say VF 6 only VF

If I was to guess, AM#2 be leading the design and RGGS handling the engine and programming. I do wonder how many of AM#2 staff that left to go to AV way back in the day are still at AV/RGGS

SonicJams

For context on the leak, he got the sonic origins stuff right (the trailer date, the animation shorts, knuckles playable in cd, and head canon working on it) before it was announced. And same goes for the jet set radio one too, before the actual reputable rumour came out.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

If I was to guess, AM#2 be leading the design and RGGS handling the engine and programming. I do wonder how many of AM#2 staff that left to go to AV way back in the day are still at AV/RGGS
Tetsuya Kaku started as a programmer on Virtua Fighter and moved to RGGS.
~~~~

The new head of RGGS started with... Jet Ser Radio and directed Ollie King (it could be another reason why RGGS would reboot Jet Set Radio).

Fun fact:

Some Sega fans blamed Sega for bridling Nagoshi's creativity with story driven games like Yakuza, Yakuza and Yakuza again (before Sakura's failure, Nagoshi was head of all Sega Studios) :

"Where are my arcade games, Sega ? "

Nagoshi left Sega and will produce Story Driven Yakuza like games...

Sega will produce a large variety of Super Games such as FPS from Creative Assembly, Crazy Taxi,RE Fantasy, Jet Set Radio, probably new PSO and Virtua Fighter.

Nagoshi having his own Studio at Netease is great but overall i think his departure is a chance for Sega.

Last edited:
Tetsuya Kaku started as a programmer on Virtua Fighter and moved to RGGS.
~~~~

The new head of RGGS started with... Jet Ser Radio and directed Ollie King (it could be another reason why RGGS would reboot Jet Set Radio).

Fun fact:

Some Sega fans blamed Sega for bridling Nagoshi's creativity with story driven games like Yakuza, Yakuza and Yakuza again (before Sakura's failure, Nagoshi was head of all Sega Studios) :

"Where are my arcade games, Sega ? "

Nagoshi left Sega and will produce Story Driven Yakuza like games...

Sega will produce a large variety of Super Games such as FPS from Creative Assembly, Crazy Taxi,RE Fantasy, Jet Set Radio, probably new PSO and Virtua Fighter.

Nagoshi having his own Studio at Netease is great but overall i think his departure is a chance for Sega.
I'm so happy Nagosh-san is gone myself I'm just gutted Hosokawa-san left with him :(

Top Bottom