• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-TGS 2012 SCEJ Press Conference - Sep. 19, Midnight EDT; Sep. 18, 9PM PDT

This is nearly impossible for any one at Sony to be this dense.

The amount of time 3DS had before Vita launch, the success of Nintendo's franchises and the power of the system making it a great place for 3rd Parties to go needed to be throwing up red flags.

Nothing that has happened has been shocking to anyone, and it should have been even less so for the Sony.

Apparently it isn't shocking to anyone at Sony's considering most of their third party support is psp and ps3 ports and a good portion of their first party output is also ports. They really only need one game drive people to the system but, who knows if it will ever come.

pswii60

I'm surprised Sony didn't do more at this TGS with Wii U around the corner. Especially given the slightly more direct nature of competition from Nintendo in Japan.

TDLink

Wait, I thought the new Ys game was 2012 and exclusive to Vita.

My bad. I double checked it and you're right. The new Ys game is it though for 2012.

Apparently it isn't shocking to anyone at Sony's considering most of their third party support is psp and ps3 ports and a good portion of their first party output is also ports. They really only need one game drive people to the system but, who knows if it will ever come.

Frankly, they need more than one game. They already have Gravity Rush/Daze, Tearaway is coming, and Soul Sacrifice is coming. These are 3 pretty good exclusives, the problem is one is going up against the name brand game it obviously is taking off of, one has already proven it can't move systems, and one looks great but also completely unlike it will move systems. They need to get some exclusives with some of their recognizable IPs out there instead of just new ones that have limited appeal.

My bad. I double checked it and you're right. The new Ys game is it though for 2012.

Frankly, they need more than one game. They already have Gravity Rush/Daze, Tearaway is coming, and Soul Sacrifice is coming. These are 3 pretty good exclusives, the problem is one is going up against the name brand game it obviously is taking off of, one has already proven it can't move systems, and one looks great but also completely unlike it will move systems. They need to get some exclusives with some of their recognizable IPs out there instead of just new ones that have limited appeal.

You know Final Fantasy 10 would fit that bill except its mia.

TDLink

You know Final Fantasy 10 would fit that bill except its mia.

That wouldn't hurt but it still wouldn't really help either. That game has already been announced for both Vita and PS3, once again making it something no one needs to even buy a Vita for. Plus, as you said, it is MIA. Now, some new spin-off FF on Vita and/or a FF Type-0 Vita version (that only releases on Vita in Europe and North America) could actually start to help turn it around. Those things have yet to materialize though and they may not with Square seemingly throwing their handheld support to 3DS.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Obviously, nothing mind blowing for Vita, but considering that up to now it is a struggling device, I think that at least we had confirmation about the support from Bandai-Namco (and God eater 2 in 2013 could be interesting also if multi with PSP imho, not mentioning all other stuff hinted) and Marvelous (with Kagura, its third brand in terms of sales, despite its good performances on 3DS) and the confirmation of LBW only PSP-Vita with no 3DS version for the moment (despite the good performance of the previous episode on 3DS) testify that softco could be still interest in bringing their franchises to Sony over Nintendo. With SE already bringing FFX HD and without any FF on 3DS there is still hope for other FF related projects on Vita also. Also Sega with the confirmed PSO is supporting the system, and after the good performance of Project Diva, I think that they will go ahead on the system.
Disappointing the lack of Konami (with MGS stuffs, considering how good it was on PSP) and Capcom news, and partially also Tecmo-Koei.

For Vita probably PSP price cut is the worst news, considering that a lot of projects are multiplatform PSP-Vita.

About PS3, I think that the new models, that is the third iteration of the same system, with a price so similar to the Wii U, could be a risky move (I was expecting a price cut) but not "arrogant", because also if there was no new major announcments, I think that PS3's Xmas lineup is absolutely strong with Xillia, Yakuza and Resident Evil.

I'm surprised Sony didn't do more at this TGS with Wii U around the corner. Especially given the slightly more direct nature of competition from Nintendo in Japan.

I honestly believe Sony have accepted that this holiday season (and all of 2013) belongs to Nintendo, certainly in Japan and the US.

In one aspect it's good because it may suggest they are concentrating heavily on the PS4 (which they should be, because PSVita is done).

omonimo

Banned
I honestly believe Sony have accepted that this holiday season (and all of 2013) belongs to Nintendo, certainly in Japan and the US.

In one aspect it's good because it may suggest they are concentrating heavily on the PS4 (which they should be, because PSVita is done).

Not sure if serious... I don't said wiiU will bomb but I'm not that sure of this absolute domination of nintendo.

Not sure if serious..

Entirely serious.

When the Wii U pricing was announced it was assumed (logically) that both Microsoft and Sony would undermine it with an overdue price drop. Sony have not, and come the holiday period why on earth would someone (read: parent) choose an old console over the new kid on the block?

Entirely serious.

When the Wii U pricing was announced it was assumed (logically) that both Microsoft and Sony would undermine it with an overdue price drop. Sony have not, and come the holiday period why on earth would someone (read: parent) choose an old console over the new kid on the block?

If you dont have any current gen systems, then I would say 360 or PS3 are much better buys than Wii U considering their libraries...but the ps3 and 360 have been out for years. Most who want them and can afford them, surely have them. Sony not dropping the price is poor business...they will have to in the next

Call of Duty
Playstation All Stars
Sly Cooper
Assassin's Creed

And a few others.

Sly Cooper is early next year

Fifa 2013
NFS Most Wanted
P4G
DJMax Technika Tune
Dokuro
Smart As
New Little Kings Story
and probably bunch of other downloadable titles and sports games

The holiday lineup doesn't look bad. Its good. But its what afterwards thats worrying me.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
So they spent part of the conference turning the camera to the fucking wall. So why did they even show the game if people weren't allowed to look at it?

So they spent part of the conference turning the camera to the fucking wall. So why did they even show the game if people weren't allowed to look at it?

I think it really was just the camera guy falling asleep. I looked over when they were showing god eater and the camera guy pulled away from the wall half way through the video.

Mandoric

Banned

How does Sony launch PS4 at a competitive price when the PS3+Move combo they've been pushing for kids and families rings up at $375-$400?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
At least now we know why they cancelled Vita Gaming Heaven Part 2....lol

Spiegel

Zero support from Capcom, zero new SCE games, S-E pulling out (no FFX), Konami pulling out (no ZOE HD nor mention of transfarring for MGS), some ports and c-tier games from Namco Bandai, Koei and Marvelous, Soul Sacrifice delayed and one of the worst japanese holiday lineups ever.

Well, this conference sure did inspire confidence on the system.

Vita continues to be an embarrassment for Sony. I honestly didn't know it was possible to fuck up the pre-launch and first year of a system this badly.

Ramune

Man, Sony's fall is hard to watch. It's like seeing the most charismatic man you've aspired to be like, years later turn out to be a senile crazy taking old man.

I'm kinda already sold on Vita for PSO2, GE2 and SS, along with cross buy PSN titles, heck preordered Zero Escape 2 for both systems. But man, this conference made me rethink about getting one soon.

Riposte

It doesn't seem like Sony is trying with the Vita, especially the American branch. I would prefer incompetence over apathy. If they needed to do something, it is groom it as a successor to the PSP, so that it can later experience a shift like the DS/PSP did. Right now, it is the Xbox360. I would hold confidence in the system if they at least tried to turn it around.

liger05

It amazes me that people try and compare the 3DS situation to the Vita and see them as comparable. The Vita is on life support and there is nothing on the horizon which makes you think it’s going to recover.

The pro-active work Nintendo did to turn things around is light years away from what Sony have or haven’t done. Isnt this PSP go all over again?

McHuj

How does Sony launch PS4 at a competitive price when the PS3+Move combo they've been pushing for kids and families rings up at $375-$400?

At this point, I bet they're making a lot of money on the PS3 (at least in terms of margin on each unit sold). If they wanted to sell for a lot less, I think they could, but given their financial state, I think they prefer making the guaranteed money.

If they drop the price it will cut into their margin and if the price drop doesn't spur enough sales to offset the lower margin, then it's a net loss. I think we'll them ride these prices until PS4.

It amazes me that people try and compare the 3DS situation to the Vita and see them as comparable. The Vita is on life support and there is nothing on the horizon which makes you think it’s going to recover.

The pro-active work Nintendo did to turn things around is light years away from what Sony have or haven’t done. Isnt this PSP go all over again?

Honestly I feel Nintendo could have waited at least in Japan, MH3G, MK7, and SM3DL would have helped the system a lot last holiday there. They had to drop the price for the west and even then the 3DS is still not selling at the rate Nintendo wants it to.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I've honestly never seen my personal opinion and public opinion be so drastically far apart. Reading this topic you'd think the Vita was the worst system ever made, but from where I stand it seems to have one of the best first year's of software of any system I can think of. I guess its probably just because I like the system enough to consider it the lead platform, even if there's a PS3 or PSP version, but even with that the absolute backlash for this thing is very very surprising to me.

I can understand worries about low sales, i can understand apprehension about the price, but I absolutely cannot see how everyone can crap on this thing's library so hard. Especially when it hasn't even had a holiday season yet. I know you guys don't like list wars, but when I look at the list of 3DS and Vita games I'd take Vita's any day of the week.

I've honestly never seen my personal opinion and public opinion be so drastically far apart. Reading this topic you'd think the Vita was the worst system ever made, but from where I stand it seems to have one of the best first year's of software of any system I can think of. I guess its probably just because I like the system enough to consider it the lead platform, even if there's a PS3 or PSP version, but even with that the absolute backlash for this thing is very very surprising to me.

I can understand worries about low sales, i can understand apprehension about the price, but I absolutely cannot see how everyone can crap on this thing's library so hard. Especially when it hasn't even had a holiday season yet. I know you guys don't like list wars, but when I look at the list of 3DS and Vita games I'd take Vita's any day of the week.

Had a holiday in Japan, and the 3DS does have a better line up unless you hate Nintendo games. It's great if you view the Vita as the "lead platform" but the truth is it isn't, the PS3 is. The vast majority of gamers are not going to go out and buy the Vita version when they could get the PS3 version.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's pretty damn disappointing to see the Vita continue to fail overseas.

The 3DS succeeding is almost more disappointing as the system actively spits in the face of how handhelds should work. Region locking on a handheld is inexcusable. I'm going to wind up having to buy a 3DS in another region just to continue to be able to buy games conveniently next year. Thanks Nintendo.

At this point, I bet they're making a lot of money on the PS3 (at least in terms of margin on each unit sold). If they wanted to sell for a lot less, I think they could, but given their financial state, I think they prefer making the guaranteed money.

If they drop the price it will cut into their margin and if the price drop doesn't spur enough sales to offset the lower margin, then it's a net loss. I think we'll them ride these prices until PS4.

stop making sense, we don't need these kinds of answers.

vareon

As someone pointed out earlier, Vita's current and future lineup is good enough for those who owned the system. For those who haven't owned Vita yet, it's not as bright. Especially today with many alternatives to spend $250 on.

Eh, it was awful, but considering the expectations we had for E3 06, I think this wasn't as bad. $599 was a crushing feeling that I don't think will be replicated for quite some time, if ever.

I don't even care about the lack of game announcements. TGS has lost a lot of its luster when it comes to that, but I still am literally stunned that they raised the base price of the PS3 with their new revision.
After skimming every page of the the thread until your post... I think we are going to experience that crushing feeling again very soon when they announce the PS4.

As someone pointed out earlier, Vita's current and future lineup is good enough for those who owned the system. For those who haven't owned Vita yet, it's not as bright. Especially today with many alternatives to spend $250 on.

I personally feel my purchase is justified by the games I already have and the rest of the games out this year (Persona 4 and Gravity Rush were always the two big ones for me). However, Sony is doing nothing to entice anyone outside of the die-hard early adopters to pick this thing up, and I cannot think of any reason why it would be a good idea to pick one up now unless you are a diehard Sony fan.

It has good games for sure, just not the kind of library (now and future) that makes it a viable, long-lasting platform. Sony has dropped the ball so hard and now we are at the point where the death of the platform is an actual realistic possibility, an idea I did not subscribe to until this morning when I woke up and saw that the only other announcement after the awful conference was fucking Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2.

It's pretty damn disappointing to see the Vita continue to fail overseas.

The 3DS succeeding is almost more disappointing as the system actively spits in the face of how handhelds should work. Region locking on a handheld is inexcusable. I'm going to wind up having to buy a 3DS in another region just to continue to be able to buy games conveniently next year. Thanks Nintendo.

Hahahahaha, what? I love my Vita, but the 3DS is way more of a handheld than what the Vita is. Region locking has nothing to do with how a "handheld should work." That makes no damn sense.

KalBalboa

Banned
I honestly didn't expect many new games to be announced at TGS after the sheer volume we experiences at that excellent Gamescom showing.

Not showing the "budget" PS3 super-slim was a mistake, though. Even the European PS Blog mentioned it passively- I'm not sure why they'd admit it's coming soon but not want to talk it up.

The concrete info on PS+ for Vita was great news, though, and the Mobile update for October was good to hear. Overall it was an incredibly bland conference.

Top Bottom