• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-TGS 2012 SCEJ Press Conference - Sep. 19, Midnight EDT; Sep. 18, 9PM PDT

Kusano123

Neo Member
Well, was busy playing RE6 demo and missed it. Read the blog impression instead and still

9d888212964204abbf4d28db220b4e7124b0d8e1.jpg

Peace out, Sony.

jman2050

The early years of psp were just like this. 0 games on E3 show floor, journalists wondering why there were no announcements. Developers would get up and talk about the games they were working on that never showed up. Sony acting like nothing was wrong...

I bought a psp right out of the gate. It was reeeeal rough for the first couple of years, but look how awesome psp is now. I say hold on to the vita if you've bought it. I held onto my psp and am glad I did.

But my psp experience is why I am still waiting to get a Vita.

The PSP was a smashing success out of the gate.

Why do people keep making these awful comparisons?

They continued with the PSP in western markets although it more or less completely vanished. I don't see them discontinuing the PSP's successor so soon.

However I can totally see this being the last dedicated handheld console from Sony.

Vita is selling worse than when the PSP vanished in the west...

The PSP was a smashing success out of the gate.

Why do people keep making these awful comparisons?

I honestly don't know. The PSP did great numbers it's first couple of years which is the only reason why there was developer support in the first place combined with Sony's dominance in consoles at the time. Vita has none of that going for it.

We had stuff like Crisis Core announced before PSP even launched.

Yeah, I don't remember that being the case.

We had good reason to have faith in PSP even in the rough times, and lets be honest here things like Monster Hunter are very rare and don't happen even on a generational basis.

We have neither the developer promised support nor the likely hope that something will come and turn this around. This is a lot different then even early PSP.

So it's the Saturn of portables?

Beth Cyra

Yeah, I don't remember that being the case.

So it's the Saturn of portables?

Crisis Core was only known in name back then but it was an early announced title, it was always in mags like Game Informer but with almost zero news and them just showing the name month after month.

Beth Cyra

Aww frick, now I have to watch it. Or watch a condensed version.

No you need to watch the whole thing, it's got a slow creeping dread that not even the greatest of horror games is able to achieve these days.

Then it's over and you realize that yes, it is in fact reality that Sony just had a confrence, didn't announce anything new and some how decided to delay Soul Sacrafice right into the line of fire of the that is Monster Hunter 4.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
No you need to watch the whole thing, it's got a slow creeping dread that not even the greatest of horror games is able to achieve these days.

Then it's over and you realize that yes, it is in fact reality that Sony just had a confrence, didn't announce anything new and some how decided to delay Soul Sacrafice right into the line of fire of the that is Monster Hunter 4.

What.
KuGsj.gif

Who makes these decisions.

Beth Cyra

it sold well but i recall it having fuckall to play for years there man, let's not revise history

Yeah, for a long time it was called the Luminess machine, and for good reason.

Not to mention all the games that were semi announed then never happened. Stuff like DMC PSP and other such titles.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
When is the Vita coming out?

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Hey now, would you look at that.

GAF hyped themselves up to high heaven for a press conference and went into hysterics when it didn't match up to the expectations they created.

That sure was unexpected.

Beth Cyra

As I remember Wipeout Pure and Ridge Racers were launch games and were awesome.

They were. They even had alot of buzz as I remember.

Thing was Luminess took off, and not only that it became really popular with the casts of Podcasts which were pretty big at the time for gaming and we would hear so often how they all played Luminess and nothing else.

GAF hyped themselves up to high heaven for a press conference and went into hysterics when it didn't match up to the expectations they created.

This right here is bullshit.

We got nothing but a delay and ports.

Hell if you go back to the first few pages alot of us were hoping for nothing more then ports be they announced or rumored. Even having low expectatoins the presentation outside of the new PS3 and Vita colors was a fail and showed zero large scale Japanese 3rd Party support and very little 1st Party support.

Not true, people were expecting the worst. Then went into hysterics when it didn't match up to expectations.

Btw I would hardly judge the Vita on a bad Sony conference. It was still in the top 3 shows this year.

Lets get a refresher of whats coming for the Vita in any timeframe, including the coveted holiday season.

Just trying to get some perspective on how bad the Vita is doing.

DiscoJer

it sold well but i recall it having fuckall to play for years there man, let's not revise history

Support from Western developers started drying up after sales of the second GTA game, VCS didn't do nearly as well as the first.

But it had 2 years of good support. 2 GTA games, 3 Need for Speed Games, Star Wars Battlefront II, Midnight Club, Tekken, Ace Combat, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Justice League Heroes

I mean, here is the 2006 release list

http://www.gamefaqs.com/search/inde...her=&dist=0&sort=0&link=0&res=0&title=0&adv=1

Something like 120 games or so, all retail releases.

2007 wasn't as much, but still about a 100.

Beth Cyra

Lets get a refresher of whats coming for the Vita in any timeframe, including the coveted holiday season.

Just trying to get some perspective on how bad the Vita is doing.

Doing this actually makes it look worse.

Half the stuff announced was for 2013 and the one big game delayed into 2013. Not to mention we already knew it, but now this confirms FF X HD is at least 2013.

So Vita's to largest games are completely missing this holiday.

Sony has gotten almost everything right in terms of the Vita hardware, and almost everything wrong with drumming up software support....What are they doing??? Even the psp had stuff from SE. The vita is a far better device than the PSP.

Man. I don't even know. I've got an 18 day trip coming up, but after that it may be time to unload the Vita (after a quick Assassin's Creed play through). I waited for e3 and was underwhelmed by announcements, waited for TGS and was underwhelmed by announcements. It's hard to hold onto something that I'm using 99% for PS1 and PSP games.

We'll see how I'm feeling in a month.

IrishNinja

Support from Western developers started drying up after sales of the second GTA game, VCS didn't do nearly as well as the first.

But it had 2 years of good support. 2 GTA games, 3 Need for Speed Games, Star Wars Battlefront II, Midnight Club, Tekken, Ace Combat, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Justice League Heroes

I mean, here is the 2006 release list

http://www.gamefaqs.com/search/inde...her=&dist=0&sort=0&link=0&res=0&title=0&adv=1

Something like 120 games or so, all retail releases.

2007 wasn't as much, but still about a 100.

some good names there, i stand corrected...shouldve said stuff i was interested in. i like Tekken, MUA and such, i just dont really seek them much on handhelds, so i was kinda immune to those releases.
like Assassin's on Vita - it looks like a good stand-alone title, and i enjoy that series, just not enough to get me onto a new platform. it's one of those ill put on a list to get for < $20 when there's a bunch of things on said list or something i really have to have manifests. im in the same place with the vita right now, naturally.

Beth Cyra

Sony has gotten almost everything right in terms of the Vita hardware, and almost everything wrong with drumming up software support....What are they doing??? Even the psp had stuff from SE. The vita is a far better device than the PSP.

It could very well be the system that is causing it.

Given this thing and even DS was partly doomed in the west fromt he outset, being so much more advanced then the 3DS when the 3DS could easily fit in between Vita and PSP could have only hurt it.

3DS allows for easy transition and given the software exclusives it's not just like Sony can force Developers to give them exculsives so they don't even have big named install bases to offer 3rd Parties.

I say this in every damn Vita-related topic, but it needs repeating...

Monster Hunter....that's ALL this system needed.

Price is not the problem
Proprietary stick is not the problem
Late PSX support is not the problem
Any hit 3DS game besides Monster Hunter is not the problem

People will continue to over-analyze this for years, but Monster Hunter killed the VITA, just like it gave the PSP life. Nintendo knew this, so they secured the whole fucking franchise (by whatever means).

That's it, nothing else worth discussing in "why the Vita failed".

Top Bottom