• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-TGS 2012 SCEJ Press Conference - Sep. 19, Midnight EDT; Sep. 18, 9PM PDT

I say this in every damn Vita-related topic, but it needs repeating...

Monster Hunter....that's ALL this system needed.

Price is not the problem
Proprietary stick is not the problem
Late PSX support is not the problem
Any hit 3DS game besides Monster Hunter is not the problem

People will continue to over-analyze this for years, but Monster Hunter killed the VITA, just like it gave the PSP life. Nintendo knew this, so they secured the whole fucking franchise (by whatever means).

That's it, nothing else worth discussing in "why the Vita failed".

Then what would sell it in the west? Simplifying it down to MH ignores some of the huge mistakes Sony made and puts more of the blame on Capcom/Nintendo than Sony for failing to have adequate Japanese support lined up to begin with, overengineering the thing out of range of a price drop, terrible advertising, etc.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon

Price is not the problem

People will continue to over-analyze this for years, but Monster Hunter killed the VITA, just like it gave the PSP life. Nintendo knew this, so they secured the whole fucking franchise (by whatever means).

The bolded ones seem like a problem to me. Aside from not having MH.

Zee-Row

Banned
I feel so ripped off right now , i really wanted the Vita to succeed. Now i'm trying to figure out how much i can sell it for on craigslist.

The what? Is that like the PSP2 or something?

Next Generation Portable #gamechanger

That's a really good question. I guess we'll have to wait to see if it pops up tomorrow at some other publisher's booth.

I'll be interested. If it had been for Vita, between it, SS, and AC I was starting to show interest in the system. Without it, and with what was announced to day, my interest is way down.

Well I'll grab Senran Kagura and Oboro Muramasa from what I've seen.
Hey, I'll vouch for Muramasa! Beautiful game and fun to play, though it took me awhile to get used to the controls. I completed the game with both characters, but never managed to get the true ending. Even then that was a pretty full experience!

AniHawk

i was waiting until tgs because i thought if any big announcements were to happen, it would be here where the psp was so popular and sony had done well to make inroads in the handheld market.

but i guess if there wasn't anything big, i can cross that one off the list. if it doesn't have a good holiday in all regions, it won't see 2014 as anything other than a clearance item.

jman2050

Price is not the problem

I think there was more to it but I do think Monster Hunter was the real killing blow.

TDLink

People say it rivals Sony 2006 E3 conference so that should say something.

I would say it is far worse than that. At least at 2006 we got some funny moments to laugh at. This conference literally felt like staring at a wall for 90 minutes. It even included actually staring at a wall.

Beth Cyra

Can anyone tell me what came on?

I left the window open and it's two people doing something and it flashes PS Vita every now and then.

It's weirdly relaxing.

Eh, it was awful, but considering the expectations we had for E3 06, I think this wasn't as bad. $599 was a crushing feeling that I don't think will be replicated for quite some time, if ever.

I don't even care about the lack of game announcements. TGS has lost a lot of its luster when it comes to that, but I still am literally stunned that they raised the base price of the PS3 with their new revision.

The third party support for vita kinda sucks especially in japan. Seriously no square enix games outside of a port of final fantasy 10 which is mia and no capcom or konami games outside of a zone of enders hd port.

It seems like the third party's pulled a ps3 situation on sony with the vita and sony was caught off guard again. Their first party vita out put is just not enough to carry the vita even though soul sacrifice and tearway do look like they'll be pretty good games.

Ken

I would say it is far worse than that. At least at 2006 we got some funny moments to laugh at. This conference literally felt like staring at a wall for 90 minutes. It even included actually staring at a wall.

My interest is piqued.

The third party support for vita kinda sucks especially in japan. Seriously no square enix games outside of a port of final fantasy 10 which is mia and no capcom or konami games outside of a zone of enders hd port.

It seems like the third party's pulled a ps3 situation on sony with the vita and sony was caught off guard again. Their first party vita out put is just not enough to carry the vita even though soul sacrifice and tearway do look like they'll be pretty good games.

Isn't this cancelled? Or was that just a rumor.

Beth Cyra

IF Sony was stupid enough to just assume support was going to givin to them like it seems they did with PSP and PS3 a third time then they truly deserve this.

A PS2 situation is likely never going to be seen again and they need to get over the idea of 3rd Parties throwing them exclusives.

Beth Cyra

Got to say, I really hope we see FF X HD at something like Jump Festa. SE tends to show it alot of love and I want at least one screen shot or something given this is meant to celebrate the 10th Ann of X and yet to miss it so completely is seems crazy.

Hydrargyrus

Ok.
That was freaking bad... but this was a pre-conference... that means that there is gonna be a TGS conference, isn't it??

Please, isn't it??

Price is not the problem

Explain Europe and NA?

IF Sony was stupid enough to just assume support was going to givin to them like it seems they did with PSP and PS3 a third time then they truly deserve this.

A PS2 situation is likely never going to be seen again and they need to get over the idea of 3rd Parties throwing them exclusives.

I don't think they expected anything its just that I don't think they expected Nintendo to take all the 3rd party support away. At least with the PS3 they had good first party games to rely on that could sell the system. With the vita most of the resources of Sony's first party studios are probably tied up between PS3 and PS4 support and with sony's japanese end of first party support being the weak link outside of polyphony and gran turismo its a been a bumpy ride and its gonna be a bumpy ride. They need to beef up that end of support even if it means acquiring another developer even though I know its tough because of their finacially troubles.

As for the PS3 slim v2 the value of the yen is killing them right now thus thats probably the reason for no price drop.

Beth Cyra

I don't think they expected anything its just that I don't think they expected Nintendo to take all the 3rd party support away. At least with the PS3 they had good first party games to rely on that could sell the system. With the vita most of the resources of Sony's first party studios are probably tied up between PS3 and PS4 support and with sony's japanese end of first party support being the weak link outside of polyphony and gran turismo its a been a bumpy ride and its gonna be a bumpy ride. They need to beef up that end of support even if it means acquiring another developer even though I know its tough because of their finacially troubles.

As for the PS3 slim v2 the value of the yen is killing them right now thus thats probably the reason for no price drop.

This is nearly impossible for any one at Sony to be this dense.

The amount of time 3DS had before Vita launch, the success of Nintendo's franchises and the power of the system making it a great place for 3rd Parties to go needed to be throwing up red flags.

Nothing that has happened has been shocking to anyone, and it should have been even less so for the Sony.

Then what would sell it in the west? Simplifying it down to MH ignores some of the huge mistakes Sony made and puts more of the blame on Capcom/Nintendo than Sony for failing to have adequate Japanese support lined up to begin with, overengineering the thing out of range of a price drop, terrible advertising, etc.

Should have specified, I meant Japan, with this being TGS and all. Furthermore, I am NOT shifting blame from Sony, for all I know they made zero effort in trying to secure Monster Hunter, they needed that game, and missed out, completely.

Terrible advertising and price are NOT problems, they were not for PSP either, and NOT for 3DS. The price drop for 3DS didn't "save it", Monster Hunter (and then the slew of software that followed) did.

The bolded ones seem like a problem to me. Aside from not having MH.

They are potential problems, but ALL would be minuscule if Monster Hunter continued as a "PlayStation franchise" in the eyes of Japanese gamers.

On the other hand, cheaper prices or memory cards would mean jack shit if Nintendo still took your best portable exclusive from you, one with the insane popularity of Monster Hunter.

Explain Europe and NA?

Like I said, I should have specified Japan for the post, that's my bad.

NA and EU?

I'd say at least having the fucking thing alive in Japan gives us hope of a nice localization here and there, on top of the Sony-developed stuff. But how to make it a big hit? I'm just not sure there's a way back from the disease of iOS gaming in the west, at least for Sony (come at me...etc)

EDIT: Sorry DP

Top Bottom