• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the next gaming disaster

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Ghost Recon Breakpoint will exit early access and still be an ugly broken mess? idk, ever since that E3 gameplay, I haven't expected that game to ever really come together.

edit: what the fuck I just checked wikipedia and it's not in early access

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

I'm thinking stadia as well.

I fear for Elden ring a bit too. I Han real basis for it at all, I'm just worried something might infest it. Ruining the experience.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Cyberpunk. The downgrade will be legendary.

uIis6IO.gif

Stadia will do just fine, it's for kids who follow their youtubers, they don't care about the core gamer, not enough margins.
Death Stranding, why ?

Kojima.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Final Fantasy 7 remake

-The hype is bullshit
-The game was never even the best final fantasy
-It's taken too long to come out

Still the most overrated RPG of all time, and I very much like the game.

You might turn out right with regards to quality. But sales-wise its pretty much guaranteed to sell like hotcakes. There is jack shit coming out in February and early March. And there's a hundred million PS4s out there that will be waiting for something to play. Its gonna do Call of Duty numbers.

Zephir

Let's see...

-Death Stranding looks healthy so far, i believe it'll go just fine
-Bethesda still has a couple of months for a new fuck-up, so let's wait and see
-Shenmue III previews have been devastating so far, but only from the game press...other people (the ones who played the backer demo) said it's just what they wanted so...I guess it'll get like 5-6 scores, but gamers will like it...at worst, it'll be on the "biggest disappointments of 2019" list, but not really worthy of a spot on the worst game list...Little Town Hero just secured that...
-Stadia would be my pick...lots of money, lots of hype, but also every news that's coming out so far it's just a variation of "Stadia will not have/do this at launch"
-FF7 will be a success, because it's more FF7...they can't fail, unless they rewrite the lore in the worst way possible
-The Last of Us 2 can't fail because nobody would dare to NOT like that game, regardless of his actual quality...just like any rockstar game, it has "10" written all over
-Blizzcon is near, I wonder what they'll do...personally, i would give the audience exactly what they want, with diablo 4, old diablo remasters and other stuff, so I'll take their mind off the recent debacle...if they dare to bring diablo immortal again, it'll really be the beginning of another fuck up

Speaking of fuck ups...what happened to the Atari VCS? Is it dead yet?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'm going with Stadia too.

Death Stranding won't bomb, at least not critically. It could be the worst PoS ever but the critics will score it like they did with that other boring PoS, RDR2. They will idolize and fawn over anything Kojima like they do R*. MGS V was so boring, repetitious and ugly yet it's one of the highest scoring games of all-time.

VGEsoterica

I hope it's stadia.

It probably will be. Apple was smart with Apple Arcade...bite sized games that aren't trying to compete with console owners. I really don't think anyone can break in and get any decent market share against Sony/MS/Nintendo

NickFire

Death Stranding comes out first, but its not something I would call a disaster if it sucks. To me it would be a garden variety flop. Regardless of the hype for it around here, its just not on the level of a Fallout game, or a game like Anthem was designed to be. It might get there someday, but for now, my mind treats it just a game that I look forward to reading reviews and feedback on.

My prediction is Stadia, and there is no close second. Lots of hype because everyone is waiting for next gen to kick off (no, my Switch is not next gen :messenger_winking_tongue:). Huge conglomerate backing it, and in my opinion its 100% dependent on technological miracles and ISP's saying we don't need any more money if the miracle is even possible. It makes me think of a room full of college kids dreaming big while passing the bong, only in this scenario the college kids are replaced by a bunch of engineers and marketing people.

EZ. The next Elder Scrolls will be an absolute shit show in every kind of way possible.

1. Graphics will disappoint.
2. Same engine
3. Less player choice
4. some always online stuff
5. preorder bs
6. Won't be scored by that guy because the political outrage even tho Skyrim is an all time game soundtrack.

Bethesda have only gotten worse and worse.

Bkdk

Desth stranding could be one, but one with more than 90% chance to be a disaster is that avengers game.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
The Last of Us 2 is going to be a SJW circle jerk. It's "themes" will not be handled deftly, they be in your face the entire game.

That does not indicate a disaster, it pretty much guarantees mega-critical success. The gaming journos will LOVE it.

Something at blizzcon. Can't imagine it going smoothly. To what degree I'm not sure.
It's low hanging fruit. Makes sense though. They're tripling down on stupid with no signs of market pulse reading. Since they're not taking any live Q&A, they'll muck up some diablo release or Overwatch 2.

Ballthyrm

Cyberpunk. The downgrade will be legendary.

uIis6IO.gif

Could we , as a community, stop thinking that way.
Every F** thing that get shown before a game release is aspirational. (especially at E3)
This is the Art director showing the game they want to make.

Optimisation pass so it can release on console is always done last.
They aren't downgrade, they are running on console grade, ffs.

Games are the only mainstream media showing Work in Progress.
And time and again, we show the industry why we can't be trusted.

Last edited:

Fbh

Stupid ass predictions:
Stadia will launch with issues, work great for some but terribly for others and won't keep its wild promises.
Blizzard will somehow make people like them even less during Blizzcon.
Analog drift issue will start appearing frequently on Switch Lites.

Every F** thing that get shown before a game release is aspirational. (especially at E3)

And yet the vast majority of games don't have this issue? Things change, sure, but not to this extent. The only other examples I can think of this gen were the difference was this big are Watch Dogs, Anthem (lol) and maybe the Division.
Also, I remember trailers with the Pre downgrade footage still being used on PSN weeks before the game launched (not sure if they are still there). While it's true that things change during development, using that old footage to promote the game weeks before it launches is not OK IMO.

Still love CDPR though and I'm hyped for Cyberpunk

Yumi

It's low hanging fruit. Makes sense though. They're tripling down on stupid with no signs of market pulse reading. Since they're not taking any live Q&A, they'll muck up some diablo release or Overwatch 2.
True. Ill take a risk and say Bluepoints playstation reimagining project. I think its got a lot of hype from soft.... I mean..... some, vocal communities that it could be a game no one is really asking for.

NickFire

Desth stranding could be one, but one with more than 90% chance to be a disaster is that avengers game.
I was gonna throw the avengers game out as an honorable mention. But then I thought to myself, don't we need someone to be excited for it other than the pub and dev before we consider it a flop, never mind a disaster?

:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Shifty

Throw my vote in for Stadia. Google are setting up for one heck of a faceplant with all their hyperbolic PR.
A Shifty Pro subscription is required to fully appreciate this message. Non-subscribers may be limited to sarcasm and opinionated shitposting. Subscribe today for only $50/month!

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

no they arent. cd projekt themselves admitted they changed the entire rendering engine after they realized they couldnt get it to run on consoles. they lied.

they are doing it again with cyberpunk. the demo last year was running on a 1080 ti. an 11 tflops gpu. at 1080p 30 fps. what kind of optimization do you expect from them that will help them run it on a console 10x weaker?

and btw, the pc version of witcher 3 got the downgrade too? why? why not release that version on pc?

Last edited:

Shifty

Only when we, as a community, stop making sweeping generalizations about how we, as a community, think.

Which is all the more reason to be wary that a game may not live up to the standards set by promotional material.

'Console grade' is less powerful than 'blue sky god machine grade'. Ergo, downgrade.

Also lol at 'console grade'. Whatever lets you sleep at night I guess :messenger_tears_of_joy:

By refusing to buy into the bullshit that isn't representative of the final product..?

Last edited:
Top Bottom