• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So the Fallout 4 Next Gen update ... Cancelled at this point?

Funny one this. It was announced a couple of months past the announcement of Starfield being delayed. Bethesda obviously have multiple teams. But wasn't this supposed to be out earlier this year? I mean what was the point announcing this update at this point?

Fallout, highly likely to be Microsoft exclusive in future, is a game I really enjoyed. Likely to be the last one I can play unless it ever comes to platforms that aren't XBOX or PC.

When asked about it a few months ago Pete Hines made a pretty snarky remark:

Ha ha ha... Guys an ass.

Which leads me to believe Bethesda took teams off their projects to finish Starfield. But given the polish Starfield needs and the future planned content, is there any point letting this potential team go back to this update at this point? I know they might want to capitalise on the release of the Amazon Fallout TV show, but if that's the case, why not just say it? Or is it cancelled at this point? Will there even be a PlayStation version released at this point? Or might that come later just so that Microsoft can emphasise Fallout being better on their console for now, despite the fact that Fallout 76 had to be supported by PlayStation to avoid being dropped...

Last edited:
Funny one this. It was announced a couple of months past the announcement of Starfield being delayed. Bethesda obviously have multiple teams. But wasn't this supposed to be out earlier this year? I mean what was the point announcing this update at this point?

Fallout, highly likely to be Microsoft exclusive in future, is a game I really enjoyed. Likely to be the last one I can play unless it ever comes to platforms that aren't XBOX or PC.

When asked about it a few months ago Pete Hines made a pretty snarky remark:

Ha ha ha... Guys an ass.

Which leads me to believe Bethesda took teams off their projects to finish Starfield. But given the polish Starfield needs and the future planned content, is there any point letting this potential team go back to this update at this point? I know they might want to capitalise on the release of the Amazon Fallout TV show, but if that's the case, why not just say it? Or is it cancelled at this point? Will there even be a PlayStation version released at this point? Or might that come later just so that Microsoft can emphasise Fallout being better on their console for now, despite the fact that Fallout 76 had to be supported by PlayStation to avoid being dropped...

The snarkiness from Pete Hines is just so laughable. They announced it and said it was early 2023. People ought to be asking why it’s still not out yet, and rightfully so. The saltiness from his end is ridiculous. If you delay a public date without ever acknowledging it, be prepared for questions. It’s like, Welcome to earth 🤷‍♂️

DapperSloth

Thank fucking christ Pete Hines have left the company, he is such a holier-than-thou guy that he likes to smell his own ass, like with that tweet. Jesus Christ. Also canceled Prey 2 because it didn't met "his high standards". Dude, it looked amazing.

https://wccftech.com/zenimax-contacted-prey-for-the-gods/
https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/3/15534924/prey-for-the-gods-praey-for-the-gods-trademark-name-change

"So we didn’t want to do this but we had to change our game name from Prey for the Gods to Praey for the Gods,” the No Matter Studios team wrote. “Thankfully we get to keep the logo but we will spell it ‘Praey for the Gods.’”
No Matter Studios said that ZeniMax Media, parent company of Bethesda Softworks and owner of the Prey trademark, opposed its trademark application after it was submitted last May. In January, the developer abandoned its filing for Prey for the Gods, unwilling to fight ZeniMax Media over the title."

killatopak

I was hoping for a next gen release. There some cool stuff I can do more in console modding by having access to higher RAM amount and processing power like environmental textures, more detailed skin texture and gun texture, increasing the object limit in settlements and increasing enemy count per encounter without severe framedrops.

Last edited:
There's absolutely no reason why it wouldn't, games that are already out on playstation get support and updates at the same time. No FO76 patch or content update has been held back or delayed, for example.

Just fearmongering.

I prefer the term speculation. Because that's exactly what it is. The game has changed now Microsoft own Bethesda. We've seen this with the cancellation of Redfall on PlayStation (they admitted it) and the fact that Starfield won't be coming to PlayStation. Say what you want, but it's an open secret that it was always in development for PlayStation until the acquisition. Microsoft have commented that future Fallout and Elder Scrolls titles will likely be exclusive to Microsoft platforms and that Microsoft will approach everything else on a case by case basis. Given that Sony have traded all future Activision titles as a guaranteed PlayStation release, in favour of ten years more of Call of Duty, I'm just working to the belief that Bethesda and Activision content will be exclusive to Microsoft going forward unless they decide to release it on PlayStation but this in itself isn't a guarantee. It'll likely happen if Microsoft either want to recoup costs as they have with Fallout 76 or if the game is several years old and it could bring in a few more dollars with a port.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I prefer the term speculation. Because that's exactly what it is. The game has changed now Microsoft own Bethesda. We've seen this with the cancellation of Redfall on PlayStation (they admitted it) and the fact that Starfield won't be coming to PlayStation. Say what you want, but it's an open secret that it was always in development for PlayStation until the acquisition.

Do you see how the fact that FO4 is already out on playstation, and the patch has been officially announced for playstation is different from those examples?

The next Fallout 76 content update is also coming to Playstation. It's even promoted and blogged about on the official PS blog.

I'm not gonna bother replying to the rest, cause it's irrelevant to the topic.

Last edited:

flying_sq

The PC version is so broken it's silly. 3090ti and a 5900x at 4.5 all core and I drop to 30fps or below. The Fallout team wouldn't know optimization if it hit them in the face

MarkMe2525

I prefer the term speculation. Because that's exactly what it is. The game has changed now Microsoft own Bethesda. We've seen this with the cancellation of Redfall on PlayStation (they admitted it) and the fact that Starfield won't be coming to PlayStation. Say what you want, but it's an open secret that it was always in development for PlayStation until the acquisition. Microsoft have commented that future Fallout and Elder Scrolls titles will likely be exclusive to Microsoft platforms and that Microsoft will approach everything else on a case by case basis. Given that Sony have traded all future Activision titles as a guaranteed PlayStation release, in favour of ten years more of Call of Duty, I'm just working to the belief that Bethesda and Activision content will be exclusive to Microsoft going forward unless they decide to release it on PlayStation but this in itself isn't a guarantee. It'll likely happen if Microsoft either want to recoup costs as they have with Fallout 76 or if the game is several years old and it could bring in a few more dollars with a port.
But the scenarios you described (redfall & starfield) do not establish precedent for the unsubstantiated "speculation". If a game is already on other platforms, precedent actually hints to the games receiving any and all updates simultaneously. The only example that does not follow this trend is Minecraft, but the specific reasoning for that has now been established. The description of fear mongering is apt in this situation.

Mortisfacio

I still never finished Fallout 4. Put it down for I think it was Blood & Wine and never went back. Having a similar issue with Starfield after BG3 + Phantom Liberty. Nothing seems worth playing after those spoiled me.

As many others have already pointed out, the game is already available on PlayStation. And thus, like with every other multiplatform game owned by Microsoft, it receives parity support on all available platforms.

You’re having a separate conversation about current and future console exclusive games, which is completely unrelated to the Fallout 4 patch, or any other game Microsoft supports despite it being available on other competing platforms. Microsoft still makes money off the licensing of the game on other platforms.

Bkdk

I think the whole bgs is in deep trouble after disappointing starfield. Likely a lot of big changes going underway now within the studio, many will eventually be 'leaving' and MS will be looking for many new devs.

I think Bethesda at least owe Fallout fans some kind of update on what's happening.

It wouldn't take 2 minutes to say something like "we've been very busy recently, but it is on the way, we haven't forgotten".

It would at least reassure fans it's still coming.

I suspect some people on console actually bought the game or renewed a subscription because they thought it was imminent, and then nothing.
I have it on pc (and PS), so a PlayStation update isn't that important for me.

That said, although I'm not too fussed about any delay - I can imagine some people were really look forward to this, so I think some communication is in order from the studio.

FeralEcho

How Pete Hines will be enjoying his retirement:
qzLhokC.gif

Guy seems like a total asshole.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Will this do anything for the Steam Version I bought?
Yes. The update will come with a new product option that will include all existing paid mods plus any extras they're sitting on, and there will be an upgrade purchase available for existing owners. But in terms of the game itself, it will simply be patched.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
The leaked MS Roadmap shows fallout 3 remaster but does not mention a fallout 4 next gen upgrade. bye have fun on my ignore list :)

Blud its on route, uncle Phil will come with an update at game awards, he told me Friday night when he was over on a plenty of fish date with my mum and we had spag bol together.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Yeah, no, that's not a proof of cancellation.

The leaked MS Roadmap shows fallout 3 remaster but does not mention a fallout 4 next gen upgrade. bye have fun on my ignore list :)

Because that is a separate retail item, not a patch to an existing game.

At this point they'll probably hold it to align with the TV show, or hell maybe show/ release at TGA.

Last edited:
Top Bottom