• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the next gaming disaster

Jtibh

Banned
I second that.

Sony has been horrible the last few months. Ps4 runs on auto pilot. We can see zero support for it.
All games we are jerking off too right now are games they showed years ago. Ever since 2 e3s back we seen nothing new nothing mentioned. Even if it would be a game years to come.
Death stranding is a big what the fuck game.
Last of dust 2 is now in may?????
Sushi fishy pokibowl is not even ps4 material.
Dreams.....please dream on cuz its been 6 years.

Add to all this the changes within the company ,swapping people , laying people off , moving offices etc. i have to wonder is there more to all this?

I see more confidence and respect towards customers from microsoft and they are always full of shit yet this time i believe them that they care and want to be the best.

Sony you are fucking up big times.

Stadia. Also, the next big GaaS if the recent reporting by Ubisoft disappointing sales of The Division 2 is any indicator.

Yeah the GaaS bubble shows signs of popping and I could not be happier.

Edit: It's not the next but my money is on Avengers crashing and burning.

Last edited:

SweetShark

Haaaaaaa....
I really don't want to think about this, but I think DOOM Eternal is next...
Or at least after DOOM Eternal success, Bethesda will try to butt fuck the people (like me) who love this series and make it a disgusting practice to see how much they can milk us...

Ballthyrm

and btw, the pc version of witcher 3 got the downgrade too? why? why not release that version on pc?

What they usually do for a vertical slice is that they take one place and bring it up to the visual standard they want to hit. It is done to represent a vision or where the game is going.

What usually happen then is that a bunch of level artist and designer spend more time than usual polishing this particular area. When the production start afterwards, the standard inevitably get revised (ie: down) because of production issues, performance issues, etc, etc.

When the game get first shown to the public they show this vertical slice, the visual target dreamt by the Art Director. Then reality takes its toll and production push it down.

To get back to why it's not on PC, it is probably because stuff only get done once for every platform. The upgrade are stuff controlled in the rendering, light effect, etc. Having more objects, more npcs, everything in world really forces the level artist to do the job twice (One for each version), or at least keep them relatively close to each other.
They already don't have time to do everything once, asking them to keep up to date 2 version is insane. They will always calibrate to the lowest common denominator (ie: the least powerful console.).

I don't like the term lying because it implies that the devs don't want to the world to look like that.
That they purposefully show a false game that they knew at the time that they were never going to hit that, not even on PC.

That's a gross mis-reading of intention, they show what they have at the time.
There is no "final product" that you can take a piece of as a teaser.
There is only a WIP product, which only a bit is polished enough to be shown to the public, most of the game being white boxes and dreams in devs heads.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Microsoft just stinks, given how many years they've been in the market and how much they're devoted to the gaming division.

Ballthyrm

What the fuck wrong with these Devs?!?!?

giphy.gif

#Phonepunk#

Banned
FF7 and DS, these are things people are already complaining about, and Kojima & Square have always had people criticizing their games and "bullshit stories". they still entertain millions of people who don't have this weird cudgel against them. they still sell a ton. there is very little to suggest this won't be the case again. FF7, we know it will be episodic, the same people whining now were whining years ago and will be whining years later. this won't change.

Stadia really seems like it is set up to fail. i live in America and we do not have good internet here. it is a fact. it will not be good enough to provide a high quality experience. streamed gaming is barely passable through an ethernet fiber connection as is, let along a wireless tablet or cell phone. baffling to see how this is successful anywhere outside of techy markets.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

I predict lots of future AAA games to be boring and/or walking simulators catered to 18 to 35 year old casual gamers.

Also Cyberpunk 2077 will be a huge let down to a lot of people.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Stadia..

And PlayStation 5.. I dunno, I just feel it. Don't kill me

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
Watchdogs Legion, it will be the epitome of the complete shite direction all Ubisoft games have taken.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Could we , as a community, stop thinking that way.

9UDRHQO.jpg

Are we a single entity?

So I guess TLOU 2 will fail big time then
Remember the reason "gamers" hate that Activision CEO dude? Because he said the same fucking thing and got so much heat. Meanwhile this guy does the same and gets zero shit flung his way. I wonder why!

Last edited by a moderator:

Holammer

Stadia and Death Stranding. Currently waiting for EA to drag Anthem & Bioware behind the shed and ends their misery, one barrel each.
But those are the more obvious ones, no black swans.

Katsura

Fingers crossed it's either Stadia, Blizzard or Sony. I'm sure EA will have plenty 'surprise mechanic' controversies and Ubisoft will keep releasing the same game with a new coat of paint but that's par for the course at this point

Romulus

Not sure how anyone could be surprised that Death Stranding will be a disaster, alot of people are already expecting/hoping it will suck.

I would say Stadia, but it will take some time for Google to strangle it in its crib, and don't trust the games industry to not fuck up before that.

Strazyplus

Everyone thinks its GOOGLE STADIA but I think they are safer than people think.

We are dealing with several "disasters" at once so lets list them: (so expect to see more of them)
Few More china bootlicking
More Loot boxes & microtransactions
and Epic Exclusive buyouts too.
upcoming blizzcon

Companies still undergoing their internal disasters:
Bethesda, & Activision Blizard

actual potentials (and resurfaces) are:
Steam used games
EA Greed *again for the 20th time*

Big Games that are certain to fail:
Starfield and TES6.

IMO: there won't be a disaster but Microsoft has learned and sony is cocky. microsoft may walk as the victor for when sony micro decide to show off their new consoles.

Last edited:

NeilH1982

Banned
People saying Stadia seem to be missing the fact that it is a current gaming disaster that's already happening. That thing is stumbling out the gates and has very little chance of recovering as they have no clear target audience.

My answer : The consolidation of the development market. With development requirements rising (Dev time, cost etc.) more small to midsize dev houses won't be around in 5-10 years unless they get swallowed up by a big publisher, leaving only a few big players dampening creativity.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Most likely another MP focus games from Bethesda, EA or Ubisoft what will released half-ass or broken or even both.

Rat Rage

Final Fantasy 7 remake

-The hype is bullshit
-The game was never even the best final fantasy
-It's taken too long to come out

Still the most overrated RPG of all time, and I very much like the game.

Final Fantasy 7 remake is a completely different game than the original. I think this is going to be the main reason why it could fail, above anything else.

halfHedge

Neo Member
I am picking Doom Eternal as well. Although they might do last-minute damage control since they pushed it back.
Although I fear more for Watch Dogs Legion.

It's hard to predict, I think that the next gen will be the end of either Xbox (as cconsoles) or PlayStation...

Obviously I tend to believe MS are more likely to pull out of console gaming completely if sales don't improve early on. So far what we know of their upcoming games doesn't seem interesting at all (that battletoad game and the one from ninja theory look horrible). Who knows how the next Halo game will turn out to be.

The game was never even the best final fantasy
This and ff2 (4 i think) are the only games I finished in the series... So I'm not sure what ff games you are talking about.

That being said, a Chrono trigger remake would be great, but it may not be as charming in 3d.

Last edited:
Top Bottom