• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREMATURE EJACULA-TON: PS3 delayed until November 2006 in Japan?

Japan is going to be interesting, rev could end up on its own for a while, should be interesting to say the least.

btw this thread = :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Thinking more about Linux and PS3 as a PC, things like dual-video out and bluetooth support start looking very convenient in terms of facilitating flexible placement of PS3 in a home to support multifunctional use. The only limit really ought to be video cable length.

In my own circumstances, I could easily put PS3 on or under my desk, hook it up to my monitor on my desk, and to my projector on the other side of my room. Plug my kb/mouse in directly for "workstation" use at my desk, and obviously for on-the-couch game play the wireless pad won't really care where my PS3 is. If it supports bluetooth KB and mouse you could really put it wherever you want, as long as its within wireless range, and within video cable range of your two displays.

Rabid Wolverine said:
Wow @ Sony.

If they launch globally(meaning everywhere), Microsoft = Ow3ned.

yes, owned launching at 550-599 $$ when the 360 games are starting the second generation and the first ps3 will look as first, and the 360 will cost 249$ ?

maybe in japan, but there they will not own nintendo

let's see

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
I do think PS3 will own US, Japan and Europe yet again, but maybe by not as much. I'm very interested in Nintendos move now, it's gonna be hard for them to overcome the hype from sony.

As for the PSP stuff, I don't think it's that brilliant to be honest. How does GPS make a game better? How does Eyetoy work on a portable?

GhaleonEB

Blackie{BA} said:
yes, owned launching at 550-599 $$ when the 360 games are starting the second generation and the first ps3 will look as first, and the 360 will cost 249$ ?

let's see
Using Sony's own target, they'll have 3m by the end of December. MS' target is 10m. Still a huge gap, and with 2nd wave 360 titles and a likely price drop not long after, the 360 has plenty of room to manuver. I don't think MS is panicking, either. :)

I wake up to this? :lol

Ok, where are you guys getting this $425 pricepoint? I don't see that on IGN.

No games? Glad I didn't stay up.

PS3 Online, for free? Good move imo.

NOVEMBER 11! Holy crap, so the Revolution and PS3 will be released within a week of each other (if both company's plans come true). Oh snaps...

4D? :lol

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
BBC news here on UK TV just did a short piece on the PS3 delay to September. They said it was due in spring and that Microsoft's 360 was already out. No mention of Nintendo yet again from BBC.

Edit: Its on their website now where they do actually mention Nintendo. Link.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Blackie{BA} said:

let's see

:lol

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
DenogginizerOS said:
A $499 price point plus accessories plus games may be hard to swallow for some.

Understand this:

Both PS1 and PS2 were released in Japan at the 39,800 JPY price point, which is currently 338.871 USD although in those days it was more than that...

They then turned around and released the US versions of PS1 and PS2 @ $299 each, so if the price PS3 at 50,000JPY, a $399 US launch price is a probability....

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Kleegamefan said:
They then turned around and released the US versions of PS1 and PS2 @ $299 each, so if the price PS3 at 50,000JPY, a $399 US launch price is a probability....

PSP did the opposite, though, at least vs the non-value pack that was available in Japan vs the value pack in the US.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Kleegamefan said:
Understand this:

Both PS1 and PS2 were released in Japan at the 39,800 JPY price point, which is currently 338.871 USD although in those days it was more than that...

True. And so is a $499 price point. We won't know until Sony says anything officially, now will we.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
so - looking at these time lines that they are now presenting for the final dev kits, they were never going to meet "Spring" ... :/

and i thought they'd shipped 8000 final dev kits in December...?

perhaps Kutaragi is already playing games in the 4th dimension and is delivering final dev kits from June 2006 ?

knitoe

Seems to much like X360 launch.

1) Worldwide launch.

2) Seems like two different SKU. Otherewise, Sony would have clearly stated wise and not have mass confusion going around. I am guessing price at $399 w/o HDD & $450-499 w/HDD.

3) PS3 Live: Basic (free) & Premium (?)

Getting MGS:S today. Hope, can pre-order it.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
marc^o^ said:
Awesome demonstration of Sony's savoir faire. They'll sell their 6 million PS3 at launch within 3 weeks. As I predicted, Sony embracing online gaming will make xBox live a mere commodity and not a key factor of success anymore. Blue Ray/Linux/best developper support/PSP connectivity/Playstation brand... makes Microsoft dream fall apart. The PS3 is not even out and it's sooo easy to already figure x360 will not compete with PS3 numbers. The Dreamcast analogy was true, Sony's hype is invincible. I'm glad Nintendo took a totally different route and did not go in frontal with Sony this time.

Linux for the win BTW, it won't be stressed enough.

PS3 & Revolution combo for the win. I should start saving money NOW!
In the light of new information we got, I take back what I said. 1 million units at launch and 6 million units by march 2007? x360 will have grown a much bigger userbase by then. I first thought Sony would avoid massive shortages and be in position to destroy competition, but that just won't be the case. Christmas 2006 will belong to Revolution and x360 and it will take time for Sony to catch up. Next gen competition will be fierce :)

Oh, and read this article to relativize our earlier excitement:
Comment: Gloom Greets Sony Delay by Next-generation.com

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DCharlie said:
and i thought they'd shipped 8000 final dev kits in December...?

Kits with final processors aren't necessarily final kits. As can be seen, for example, in the difference between the March and May kits.

marc^o^ said:
1 million uits at launch and 6 million units by march 2007?

I think 6m by march and 1m per month implies 3m before the end of the year. Which might imply 2m at launch, or 1m per territory before the end of the year. That'd be better than 360's launch, at least, if they managed it, but sure, there'll be shortages..at least supply would be quick and fast thereafter, though, if supply went according to plan (which could well be a big if, I'm sure).

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Kleegamefan said:
Understand this:

That's dumping!
http://www.ga-forum.com/showpost.php?p=2943491&postcount=10

:lol

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
gofreak said:
Kits with final processors aren't necessarily final kits. As can be seen, for example, in the difference between the March and May kits.

I think 6m by march and 1m per month implies 3m before the end of the year. Which might imply 2m at launch, or 1m per territory before the end of the year. That'd be better than 360's launch, at least, if they managed it, but sure, there'll be shortages..at least supply would be quick and fast thereafter, though, if supply went according to plan (which could well be a big if, I'm sure).

Just don't forget the people buying it as a Blu-Ray player who will not be buying games. The publishers (as pointed out in the Next-Gen Biz piece in the above post) are not happy about this news. This year could be one of the worst for them, which means they will likely take less risks.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DenogginizerOS said:
Just don't forget the people buying it as a Blu-Ray player who will not be buying games. The publishers (as pointed out in the Next-Gen Biz piece in the above post) are not happy about this news. This year could be one of the worst for them, which means they will likely take less risks.

I think Japanese pubs may be pissed, but most westerns were targetting western launch dates, which most assumed to be Fall already - though they may already not have been happy about that. And I doubt any expected Europe would be in the mix. IF they got 2m into Europe and the US by the end of the year, I think western publishers would be happy (at least relative to expectations before). Big if, but just judging by their shipment plans. 1-1.5m may be more likely..

marc^o^

gofreak said:
IF they got 2m into Europe and the US by the end of the year, I think western publishers would be happy (at least relative to expectations before).
2 millions is nothing for Q4 sales, and with x360 and Revolution on the shelves, guess what will people buy this Christmas? Sony should be worried as this shortage guarantees they will start next gen losing market shares.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
DenogginizerOS said:

why would the pubs care? Sony should care as if they are losing lots on each unit, then sell lots as BR players and don't recoup on game license fees.

I suppose the flip side is that potentially some of those movie guys will buy some games later on. All about the trojan horse. Download some demos out of curiosity and hook them.

The only reason I can see publishers being pissed is it makes calculating returns based on userbase is more difficult as the users aren't necessarily buying games.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
marc^o^ said:
2 millions is nothing for Q4 sales, and with x360 and Revolution on the shelves, guess what will people buy this Christmas? Sony should be worried as this shortage guarantees they will start next gen losing market shares.

I'm really just talking about publisher expectations. But I think having it on the market is important though, as even if not everyone who wants one can get one, they'll feel that they should be able to have one since it's "out", and thus may be more inclined to wait (versus there not being any sign of it at all, if it weren't released). Asides from any other reasons why someone might hold out for a PS3..

marc^o^

gofreak said:
I'm really just talking about publisher expectations. But I think having it on the market is important though, as even if not everyone who wants one can get one, they'll feel that they should be able to have one since it's "out", and thus may be more inclined to wait (versus there not being any sign of it at all, if it weren't released). Asides from any other reasons why someone might hold out for a PS3..
I understand, but next gen started with x360 in 2005, and people won't wait for 2007 to upgrade. They'll do so next Christmas, this is guaranteed.

pestul

This is awesome news, seriously thinking about pre-ordering one soon. It is a long time until November though and hope we don't see anymore delays. I'm surprised by the number of people thinking it will be $399, when we have a post saying no less than $425 (with unknown source). I'm going to prepare myself to pay $450-500 (>$600 with games/accessories) and I would suggest most of you do the same.

jarrod

Banned
Acrylamid said:
I think the pricing situation will look something like this in November:
Revolution - $199
XBox 360 (with HDD) - $299
PS3 - $399
Sounds about right... throwing in handhelds...

DS - $99
DS Lite - $129
PSP (core) - $199
PSP (value) - $229

TigerKnee

Vieo said:
hmm.jpg

You really had to waste my bandwidth with that stupid pic? What's so funny about this old news?

tard

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
TigerKnee said:
You really had to waste my bandwidth with that stupid pic? What's so funny about this old news?

tard

oops, that wasn't necessary, sooner or later you people are going to get the idea of "no insults" whether you like it or not.

Marathon

Sony's DrGAKMAN
"XBox 360 (with HDD) - $299"

I don't know about this.

Price tends to move sales across time, not platforms.

I was reading what sounded like one of the current Xbox team's comments on the minimicrosoft discussion board recently making it clear that the days of burning through cash for the Xbox project are over. And that being profitable was something they knew they had to being shooting for.

Link316

Banned
jarrod said:
Sounds about right... throwing in handhelds...

DS - $99
DS Lite - $129
PSP (core) - $199
PSP (value) - $229

DS Lite is more likely to be $149 based on what they did in JPN, but I agree Nintendo will have to seriously consider dropping the price now

TheDuce22

Banned
Is this the only place that reacted like this? Just curious. The media seems to be reporting this news in a far more negative light. Pretty sure this forum will explode when Sony actually tells us something of value or starts showing playable games, regardless of what they say or what the games look like. :lol

vgsmike

The jubilation is strange. Companies have promised worldwide simultaneous launches since forever and they never happened.

I also highly doubt they'll actually have a 2 million launch stock. It'll likely be much lower, and the lower stock will be split among the regions and basically there will be a sellout/shortage through the Holiday period.

I think this is a mixed bag.

On the one hand its incredible news for Europeans. I had a gut feeling of Spring 07, most people I know expected something similar. Despite Sony reiterating "Spring" again and again, I just didn't believe they'd make Spring this year. The most pleasant surprise for me is the potential price if this 50,000 yen speculation has any basis in fact. Thats not far off the Xbox 360 core pack.

I expect them to have rabid success again, but I'm starting to feel sure all this time is going them damage. Revolution could get an early birth in Japan, maybe just after the Summer like Gamecube. If they stick to their 14 week target, they could be out in Europe and America before PS3 too. Xbox 360 won a year head start. Every big release on 360 from here until Christmas is important.

The idea of handhelds competing too is interesting, because I think DS and PSP are only going to get more and more popular. Come E3 we're likely to see all kinds of crazy games and applications we didn't expect for both.. PS2 had Dreamcast, N64 and PlayStation to go up against in its first run before GBA, Gamecube and Xbox really joined in the fun -- PlayStation 3 will have Xbox 360, Nintendo Revolution, PlayStation 2 (yep!), PSP and Nintendo DS snapping at our wallets from day one. Its gonna be interesting indeed!

This *is* a relief for me though. The vague rumor reports surfacing in recent weeks made me think a delay would be more drastic than this. As far as I'm concerned this is like a bringing-forward for Europe.

TheDuce22 said:
Is this the only place that reacted like this? Just curious. The media seems to be reporting this news in a far more negative light. Pretty sure this forum will explode when Sony actually tells us something of value or starts showing playable games, regardless of what they say or what the games look like. :lol

The media reports ANY delay in a negative light, no matter the subject matter. Take any object or event in the universe, delay it by 6 months and media will report it as a negative. Americans, and increasingly, Europeans, want everything NOW and without delay. The media simply feeds off this obsession with instant gratification.

On the other hand, Sony's share price is up today. So what does that tell you?

BuddyC

MassiveAttack said:
On the other hand, Sony's share price is up today. So what does that tell you?
That as a corporation, there's a lot more to Sony than the PlayStation branding? Honestly, I think drawing a correlation between this annoucement and the rise in Sony's stock may be a bit ..uh...presumptuous. But hey, there's really no way to know, so.

Ponn

Banned
vgsmike said:
The jubilation is strange. Companies have promised worldwide simultaneous launches since forever and they never happened.

I also highly doubt they'll actually have a 2 million launch stock. It'll likely be much lower, and the lower stock will be split among the regions and basically there will be a sellout/shortage through the Holiday period.

Don't remember many worldwide release promises in the past. Most recent really being Xbox 360.

Here's the thing though, rumblings from everywhere point to Sony already in the process of starting mass production of PS3's so how long do you think they need to hit 2 to 6 million? Let's say they start full production some time after E3 like say June or July. That gives them a good 4 to 5 months of doing nothing but producing PS3's.

vgsmike

Ponn01 said:
Don't remember many worldwide release promises in the past. Most recent really being Xbox 360.

Here's the thing though, rumblings from everywhere point to Sony already in the process of starting mass production of PS3's so how long do you think they need to hit 2 to 6 million? Let's say they start full production some time after E3 like say June or July. That gives them a good 4 to 5 months of doing nothing but producing PS3's.

I can count a number of times where a WW release was announced, but the regions were always separated by weeks/months. It's more like a hope than set in stone. Nintendo is most notorious, but that's because they've had the most systems.

I don't believe the rumors about mass production starting when the hardware isn't complete. There are a lot of variables in ramping up inventory. Everything from quality of production yields to the expense of housing the stock inventory. Even to Sony it wouldn't make sense to contain millions of boxes of cargo for so long, even if production yields are terrific. So I don't think there will be 2 million out the door on the first day. That'd be about the biggest product launch ever on a high-end electronic device, and as good as some have said production yields are on some individual components, I don't believe they'll be *that* good. They'll most likely do what's always been done. Start production in Q3, and whatever amount they can make is what they'll launch with. Not even Sony really has the capacity to create over 20K complete units a day.

cvxfreak

Ponn01 said:

Are they going to open up new factories or such, because they still have PS2s and PSPs to manufacture?

xaosslug

there's a LOT of kamikaze attempts @ buzz-harshing going on in the latter portion of the thread... :lol mad props considering how difficult that's gotta be at this point. :D

Top Bottom