• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREMATURE EJACULA-TON: PS3 delayed until November 2006 in Japan?

Juice said:
Aha! So by bootable memory stick, they mean it can bootstrap and then receive all instruction from an archive server, bypassing the firmware and becoming a puppet of the PS3. (While I can't really figure out what advantages this would have other than saving RAM and kernel overhead, it at least answers that question).

"Archive Server" must mean PS3 in this case (unless they're referring to an online one or store kiosks--either of which wouldn't make sense for including bootstrapping from a memory stick in the description). In that case you'd boot up your PSP in "PS3 mode" (perhaps even reboot it remotely from the PS3) and then it becomes a streaming media device with easy access to your PS1 games and movies and what not stored on your 60GB HDD in the PS3.

Genius!

This is the main reason why I'm kinda thinking that I shouldn't sell my PSP. If they can stream video, music, game content from the PS3 through wi-fi it would be so fucking awesome.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Juice said:
GPS means that either all new PSPs would ship with it or it would occupy the USB port atop the system. It's its own technology, based on satellites floating all over the earth. The every second reference indicates that every second the GPS chip would sync with the satellite and return the approximate position of the PSP.

This can be used in games as well as mapplications.

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!! Okay *calms down* Can you explain how this could be used in a PSP game?

Crikey, everybody here is turning into ISAMU, which makes for GREAT reading.
-breaking news, PS3 launch title confirmed!!!
1_800.jpg

locandina.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wonder if buying and downloading a PSone game on PS3 would also nab you the PSP version, to share with your PSP? Or will they sell them seperately?

I also guess that PS2/PSone BC will be in 1080p HD. That'll be an..interesting sight. Whether it's good or not.. :p

cvxfreak

mckmas8808 said:
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!! Okay *calms down* Can you explain how this could be used in a PSP game?

A game that depends on location basically.

They've come up with weirder things in my opinion, such as Boktai's sun sensor.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
scej1_04.jpg

It's official Sony has entered the Ectasy distribution front. Drugs for all!

"That'll make em enjoy the psp!" *wink wink* :D

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
cvxfreak said:
A game that depends on location basically.

They've come up with weirder things in my opinion, such as Boktai's sun sensor.

But how can it work with the Mini Golf game? And what is this sun sensor?

Bebpo

Banned
If the 60gig hard drive is standard and it has blue ray and 100% BC with PS1/PS2 titles and free internet

I will have no issues paying $1000 for an import one at launch in addition to $500 for a US one. $1500 for the ability to play any game in either territory on that beast will be the 2nd best money I'll ever spend behind buying two PS2s in terms of gaming enjoyment :)

If the hard drive is standard...OMG...NO LOADING IN PS3 GAMES!!! As an rpg fan, that is like the ultimate bliss to the ears.

November date is bad because it's not now and good because I still need many months to save up $1500 + $1000 or so for games/accesories ^^;; But oh man, will this be worth it.

cvxfreak

Tenacious-V's avatar said:

Wow, the RevMote's on a roll today, sexually. :lol

mckmas8808 said:
But how can it work with the Mini Golf game? And what is this sun sensor?

For that, I have no clue actually. :lol

The sun sensor for Boktai... Boktai is a Kojima game that relies on sunlight to kill enemies. So playing in the sun is how you play the game and such.

Bebpo said:
If the hard drive is standard...OMG...NO LOADING IN PS3 GAMES!!! As an rpg fan, that is like the ultimate bliss to the ears.
I wish the use of a hard drive guaranteed such things. I learnt a lesson with the original XBOX on that one.

Bebpo said:
If the 60gig hard drive is standard and it has blue ray and 100% BC with PS1/PS2 titles and free internet

I will have no issues paying $1000 for an import one at launch in addition to $500 for a US one. $1500 for the ability to play any game in either territory on that beast will be the 2nd best money I'll ever spend behind buying two PS2s in terms of gaming enjoyment :)

November date is bad because it's not now and good because I still need many months to save up $1500 + $1000 or so for games/accesories ^^;; But oh man, will this be worth it.
With Linux and HD confirmed, you probably won't HAVE to buy a 2nd PS3, somebody will come up with a lockout solution quite soon after launch.

I'm really excited about what homebrew stuff might come out for the PS3, its got mounds of potential already.

Bebpo

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
I wish the use of a hard drive guaranteed such things. I learnt a lesson with the original XBOX on that one.

? Xbox had great loading for 75% of the games I own. Most would have long loads at the start where they'd dump stuff to the hard drive and then wouldn't load at all during gameplay.

HyperZone<3 said:
With Linux and HD confirmed, you probably won't HAVE to buy a 2nd PS3, somebody will come up with a lockout solution quite soon after launch.

I'm really excited about what homebrew stuff might come out for the PS3, its got mounds of potential already.

Would be really cool. But I get the feeling Sony is not going to want people hacking their security measures and will be pretty serious on that front.

lunlunqq

well, iirc, in the new BD region code system, japan and us are in the same region. so if ps3 games use the same BD region code system, your US ps3 will be able to play imported jp games out of the box.

Animal

Banned
img its like 4AM where i am..i was woken up by a stomach ache and i scoot over to the computer only to find ....

SUPREMEWEDNESDAYTONOFDOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gamespy is bad news by the way...we are gonna have supper slow running software thats full of shitty adds and what not. I'll pay whatever you want sony for something better than gamespy.
Kutaragi woke me up by telekenisus ... the a-hole made my stomach hurt.

Bebpo

Banned
lunlunqq said:
well, iirc, in the new BD region code system, japan and us are in the same region. so if ps3 games use the same BD region code system, your US ps3 will be able to play imported jp games out of the box.

The region coding is for BD movies. It's pretty likely that games will still be region (country) specific as even now a Euro (region 2) PS2 game won't boot in a JPN (region 2) system AFAIK.

Unless they announce region free games, it's not expected.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
lunlunqq said:

I think that was for movies... games weren't mentioned.

edit - blast

well well nice to wake you to good news!

HATERS ARE SO OWNED RIGHT NOW AND AS I SAID SONY DOES NOT NEED TO WORRY ABOUT X360 and to those people who where all "ahh well if sony misses the holiday season again bla bla bla " please wake up and smell the sony coffy bitches, that aint going to happens WORLDWIDE F#¤%&NG RELEASE NOVEMBER 2006!

and my price point of 399 seems about right!

60hdd included woohooooo

lunlunqq

Bebpo said:
The region coding is for BD movies. It's pretty likely that games will still be region (country) specific as even now a Euro (region 2) PS2 game won't boot in a JPN (region 2) system AFAIK.

Unless they announce region free games, it's not expected.

i c. thx for the explanations.

Bebpo said:
? Xbox had great loading for 75% of the games I own. Most would have long loads at the start where they'd dump stuff to the hard drive and then wouldn't load at all during gameplay.

Great loading, I guess. I can accept a big load before a new area/level and then not having to wait around for more than a couple of seconds between that and the next big load, which would hopefully be 20-40 minutes later, Halo-style. Instead, too many games, IMO, had me flashing on the old 'Euro-game style-let's clear memory and reload the entire fucking game into memory every time you have to restart or die in a given level' shit. Maybe I'm remembering things wrong here...or I'm just remembering all the annoying times I had to wait around to get to the game itself. :)

Anyway, I guess I just leaped on your comment about no loading times. I wish that was the rule rather than the exception. Waiting around for more than 30 seconds is just pain sometimes...kills the experience a bit. I hope there will be far less of the 30 second to 1 minute loading going on after you reach the title screen. Unfortunately, I think the load times will get worse in some types of games to a very annoying degree.

jyx

This is just fucking great! ps3 for christmas in Europe. I was optimistic and predicted a march 07 release. Then this.... Hallelujah. I hope the games look better than the boring looking Untold Ledgends screens I have seen lately.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
VALIS said:
Heh. Some of you are trying rrrrrreally hard tonight. Planned global launch in November. No games. No price. Minor HW details. Seemingly copying XBL's pricing structure but no details on the actual service = WORLD DOMINATION. GAME OVER. Ken could walk up to a podium, blow his nose, mumble something about his cat, and there'd be people here comparing that conference to Winston Churchill's famous WWII one. Some of you guys are priceless.

I want to get excited about something. But what? My eyes started getting wider when the letters "HD" started flying around, but there's no confirmation on a hard drive yet. Agh. What are you guys so happy about? There's no details here except a planned November launch from the company that was saying even last week that spring was on track. Even the backwards compatibility is vague. What will be upscanned? And to what resolution? Gimme something.

I'm happy that they didn't drop the ball, which a lot of doom-mongers have been saying recently

neutralising 'advantages' like Xbox live really helps IMO.

With the power of the Playstation brand, and no discernible benefit to choosing an xbox 360 other than exclusives (and perhaps price, but sony have always been comfortable being more expensive), I can imagine a situtation where Xbox 360 does *worse* than xbox next gen.

I'm personally happy that we might get EU machines for my birthday!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
maybe the first post could be updated with a summary? I'm not even going to try sifting through 35 pages for info.

PS3 in November for Europe/everyone.
It has a hard drive?

So basically there is shit all news except a release date?

Spannund?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
as for the harddrive, maybe its *required* and therefore you may need to buy one separately, but you get the 'choice' of what size to use? eg a 60GB with linux installed, or just whack in a 20GB 2.5" from your old laptop and away you go?

Media stuff sounds good, PS3 likely to be a UPnP renderer then. In which case 60GB is not necessary as you'd stream from your network/PC.

robertsan21 said:
well well nice to wake you to good news!
and my price point of 399 seems about right!

How can you guys be sure of a 399$ price for the USA, if the price in Japan will be _at least_ 50.000yen?
I think 499$ and € is what to expect.
Hopefully I'm wrong =/

Acrylamid

I think the pricing situation will look something like this in November:
Revolution - $199
XBox 360 (with HDD) - $299
PS3 - $399

Sure, Sony will sell through the initial ammount (6 million?) in little to no time, but the real question is what happens after the christmas season.
I think it all depends on two factors:
- Hype about BRD movies
- Hype about the revolution

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
mrklaw said:
Media stuff sounds good, PS3 likely to be a UPnP renderer then.

I took it to mean it would be a server, not necessarily UPnP compliant, it could still just be twixt PSP and PS3 in a proprietary fashion. But yeah, PS3 could perhaps also be a renderer, and if you're very look, a DLNA/UPnP one. We'll see.

Acrylamid said:
I think the pricing situation will look something like this in November:
Revolution - $199
XBox 360 (with HDD) - $299
PS3 - $399

Sure, Sony will sell through the initial ammount (6 million?) in little to no time, but the real question is what happens after the christmas season.
I think it all depends on two factors:
- Hype about BRD movies
- Hype about the revolution
If what I read about the summary from the PS3 Conference is true, then your part about PS3 being $399 is wrong, as Sony said the PS3 would NOT BE LESS THAN $425.

Gaia Theory said:
If what I read about the summary from the PS3 Conference is true, then your part about PS3 being $399 is wrong, as Sony said the PS3 would NOT BE LESS THAN $425.
in japan.. it was a translated yen to dollar amount.. so who knows? Price still is up in the air.

syllogism

No, they said no less than 50,000 yen, which doesn't necessarily mean it won't be less than that in NA.

Acrylamid

Gaia Theory said:
They said not less than ¥50,000.
And I think that's true, but only in Japan. Since the Xbox 360 is already all but dead over there, they only have one competitor, Revolution, and since they can't compete with its price anyway, it doesn't make much difference if they increase the price by ¥10,000. ;)
In the United States and Europe, however, they have to compete with Xbox 360 and Revolution, therefore I think anything above $399 would be a real mistake by Sony.
(More than &#8364;399? Maybe, it's Europe, we are used to be screwed with... but in America?)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Juice said:
Hardly. =(

Mac OS X is based on Darwin, which is Apple's special brand of BSD. BSD is part of the Unix family, but more or less the second cousin twice removed from Linux proper.

The difference being that Linux is open source and that there's an entire world of engineers trying to get that kernel to run on every device with a microchip. Of course, kernel optimization of the CELL processor is probably going to be the most daunting task since the Human Genome Project (except involving more creativity).

For that reason, don't expect Linux to be working (well) at launch, and don't expect anything but a single type of distribution that can even run on the PS3 (whether Sony selects to work off an existing distro or start their own from the kernel and work their way up is yet to be seen, but likely).

Compared to PlayStation 2 Linux, support for the CELL processor is a standard feature of all >=2.6.16 Linux Kernels and IBM has done a lot of work on getting Linux to run on CELL. SCE, IBM and Toshiba started the work on Linux for CELL in the STI labs while developing the new architecture and IIRC the work is being completed at one of IBM Germany's Linux Technology Centers and it is KEY to IBM that Linux runs well on the CELL processor as they do need an OS to run on the CELL blades they are developing for their own use and for/with external partners.

For that reason, don't expect Linux to be working (well) at launch

Considering the specs of PlayStation 2 ( 300 MHz in-order CPU with 8 KB of L1 D-Cache and no L2 cache, 32 MB of RAM, 5200 RPM HDD IIRC, etc...) Linux ran quite decently on it and tit was not nearly a similar business priority for any player involved in PlayStation 2's creation.

Taker666

Acrylamid said:
In the United States and Europe, however, they have to compete with Xbox 360 and Revolution, therefore I think anything above $399 would be a real mistake by Sony.
(More than €399? Maybe, it's Europe, we are used to be screwed with... but in America?)

It wouldn't matter at launch. They will easily sell the first million in each region at $450-$500. Then just drop to $399 when they catch up with demand.

Acrylamid

Taker666 said:
It wouldn't matter at launch. They will easily sell the first million in each region at $450-$500. Then just drop to $399 when they catch up with demand.
The question is, is $399 low enough once they caught up with demand?
And going from $499 to $299 in a few months to catch up with Xbox 360 would be a disaster, thus they define their later price range with their launch price.
If they drop the price to $399 in Spring 2007, the PS3 will still be $100 more expensive than the Xbox360. Will costumers really be inclined to pay that much... for what?
- Will the first generation PS3 games really look that much better than the graphics Xbox 360 developers come up with after one year into the lifecycle?
- Will BRD movies be a selling point at all?
- Will there be enough exclusive killer-apps, now that almost every developer is going multiplatform?

I don't say these factors won't come true, I just think it'd be quite arrogant for Sony to expect customers to pay $100 more (maybe even after the launch price dropped once!) than for an Xbox 360, not to mention there's still a huge wild card, the Revolution.

Until we see games for PS3 and Revolution in motion and get a better picture of the launch lineups, all this discussion is mood, because it's all about the games.
Still, in comparison to the PS1 launch, where everyone and their mother wanted Nintendo and their pricing structure to fail, and the PS2 launch, where they had a one year head start (considering the financial situation of Sega, the Dreamcast was bound to failure) and Squenix as an exclusive (FFCC doesn't count, does it?), and even the PSP launch, where they "only" had Nintendo as competition, this will be the hardest, most important lauch for Sony, ever.

I don't say they won't succeed, but the general opinion here seems to be that Sony is sure to finish the next generation first and I think this is the most uncertain starting position of a console lifecycle ever, with three consoles all having unique advantages and a real chance to win.

Quellex said:
Oh man, if this shits true, I'll have to get a PSP.

Emulate all PSone games? Amazing! F'n amazing!

OMG yes. We can play emulated games without the two extra shoulder buttons and the extra analog stick. Oh wait.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
won't scary linux monkeys immediately turn this into something even greater than the xbox 1 was if it really doubles as a linux machine? I hope so, but the way sony borks everything media with their shit protections and whatnot makes me think it won't happen.

I will buy it the second it gets xbox media centre type levels of connectability.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
catfish said:
won't scary linux monkeys immediately turn this into something even greater than the xbox 1 was if it really doubles as a linux machine? I hope so, but the way sony borks everything media with their shit protections and whatnot makes me think it won't happen.

It should be a boon for homebrew, yes.

Asides from apps, homebrew games should be feasible too. The software is all already available freely on PC (Cell SDK, nVidia SDK), no reason why they shouldn't include it with PS3 Linux.

The potential for awesomeness is high :D

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
PjotrStroganov said:
OMG yes. We can play emulated games without the two extra shoulder buttons and the extra analog stick. Oh wait.

Yes that is an issue.. but not all PS1 games use both analog sticks and all 4 shoulder buttons.

Top Bottom