• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREY reviews are in, critics love it

Tieno

I can enjoy (almost) every Predator movie just because the predator is so fucking cool. A predator movie that might be good? I'm totally there. While the angle might trigger some "anti-woke" crusaders, I'm quite intrigued if they can pull it off.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I'm super hyped for this. ❤️

I originally thought the main character could possibly be an ancestor of Billy Sole from Predator 1987, but that doesn't seem to the case - Billy was apparently of half-Sioux, half-Italian descent, and the protagonist of PREY is of the Comanche nation...The Lords of the Plains.

billy-sole-predator.gif

GymWolf

Gold Member
After being wounded by an elite fighting force. With bullets. Not to mention Arnolds exploding arrow which disabled it's cloak. Then a giant log being dropped on it. I don't think you've watched it.

I can't wait for this 90 pound slay queen to single handily defeat the predator.
When she can't even defeat a bear at the start of the movie and get her ass saved by the predator...

Also Arnie and his squad were legit super soldiers from the beginning, people forget the scene when they wipe out an entire village of rebels like nothing.

Last edited:

sol_bad

He liked Everything Everywhere All At Once too some like to cling to their misperceptions of people. 👀

I'm pretty positive that if Marvel Studios made Everything Everywhwere All At Once he would have ripped it to shreds and call it shit.

Predator has the reverse Star Trek movie rule. With the TOS movies, the even number ones (Khan, Voyage, Country) were the good ones and the odd-number ones were bad.

Predator: Good
Predator 2: OK
Predators: Good
The Predator: Worse than getting Monkeypox and Ebola at the same time.
Prey: Good
Only minor change

Predator: Classic

Konnor

I'm pretty positive that if Marvel Studios made Everything Everywhwere All At Once he would have ripped it to shreds and call it shit.

I'm pretty sure if Marvel studios made it they would have stripped it of everything that made it unique and turned into another soulless product he rightfully would have hated

Just because he likes a few classics, he can still have a bias

Aha, so it's not women he hates but modern Hollywood trash. Thanks for agreeing with me

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
The Star Wars shill that had an epic meltdown?

Even better was on the Dec 8, 2015 episode of Collider Movie Talk (which has been nuked from the internet) he and Campea 100% confirmed that a piece of fan art of Darth Plagueis was actually Snoke in The Force Awakens.

And when a former poster here leaked a REAL photo of Snoke from the art of book, Harloff said it was fake and doubled down on the fan art.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Forget that, Arnold gets hit in the shoulder with a shot from the Predators shoulder cannon that blew a hole through Jesse Ventura but Arnie shrugs it off like he got stung by a mosquito and he then hoists up that 300lb log. Of course the Predator used a low power shot to just disarm Arnie because the movie seconds before established that the Predator only kills armed people.
He's the mofo Terminator!

MastaKiiLA

...waiting for audience score...
This is not a bad idea. The critic score in not always reliable with films like this that traffic in nostalgia. There should be a connection to the source material that resonates with fans, that the critics might miss. Or the critics might see some artsy shit that totally misses the hook that made the original great. So I usually wait for audience scores in cases like this too. So long as it's not a film that already polarized fans before release, ala Captain Marvel.

jason10mm

Gold Member

I love how child slave trafficking is called "adoption" in this, really warms my heart that these children taken captive and handed off to men against their will were properly grateful for the opportinity to grow :p

And again, no one disputes that women can be leaders and/or warriors, just THAT WOMAN versus the predator given the legacy of men it has fought seems a little suss. Had they cast a 6'3" 200 pound body builder/wrestler/MMA fighter then I don't think some of the criticism would happen. But when they cast a wisp of a girl who is barely 5 and half feet tall and a buck twenty on a good day to go up against an alien muscle bound gorilla.....yeah no.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
This is not a bad idea. The critic score in not always reliable with films like this that traffic in nostalgia. There should be a connection to the source material that resonates with fans, that the critics might miss. Or the critics might see some artsy shit that totally misses the hook that made the original great. So I usually wait for audience scores in cases like this too. So long as it's not a film that already polarized fans before release, ala Captain Marvel.

Go look at the IMDB user reviews. The movie isn't out yet but it's already being bombed with 1 star reviews.

MastaKiiLA

Go look at the IMDB user reviews. The movie isn't out yet but it's already being bombed with 1 star reviews.
I actually think IMDB ratings largely hit the mark, and fairly use the full score range better than a metacritic or RT. But as noted above, I like to wait to get a solid sample size first.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I like The Predator, and thought it was a fun film. I also rate Predator (1987) as my favorite film of all-time. So...yeah...I'm not a reliable critic for most of you. LOL.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It had more to do with how only one part of the review bombardment was mentioned.
The point is that user reviews are basically useless nowadays as the number of extremely high scores and low scores is absurd.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I actually think IMDB ratings largely hit the mark, and fairly use the full score range better than a metacritic or RT. But as noted above, I like to wait to get a solid sample size first.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I like The Predator, and thought it was a fun film. I also rate Predator (1987) as my favorite film of all-time. So...yeah...I'm not a reliable critic for most of you. LOL.
I think IMDB user scores are pretty reliable too. I dont think users on IMDB resort to review bombing like gamers doing 10,000 scores where the avg mark is 1/10. I think the Warcraftc Reforged game had a score of 0.6/10 at one time.

Last Jedi has a 4.1/10 on MC and a 6.9/10 on IMDB. Which one is more accurate for the average person? There's almost 3 pt split between them. I'm not a big SW fan, but I'd probably still trend my score closer to IMDB.

OJ's Score: 8
Alex's Score: 8
AJ's Score: 8

24/30 score for AJS. They've said this is one of the best streaming exclusive movies they've seen as of late, but if they were to put it on a blockbuster scale it is comparable to Predators. They said obviously no movie can match the original so it's an impossible bar to be measured upon, but this one does the product justice and the funny thing is that it finally took a movie not named Predator to do so.

Also trigger warning for those here who care: They said there are very, very few 'woke' elements in the movie but it's only very, very minor and will not distract nor detract from it being a good movie. End recommendation is to view it since even a month sub on Hulu is still cheaper than a movie ticket.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber

24/30 score for AJS. They've said this is one of the best streaming exclusive movies they've seen as of late, but if they were to put it on a blockbuster scale it is comparable to Predators. They said obviously no movie can match the original so it's an impossible bar to be measured upon, but this one does the product justice and the funny thing is that it finally took a movie not named Predator to do so.

Also trigger warning for those here who care: They said there are very, very few 'woke' elements in the movie but it's only very, very minor and will not distract nor detract from it being a good movie. End recommendation is to view it since even a month sub on Hulu is still cheaper than a movie ticket.

Obviously they were paid off /s

jason10mm

Gold Member
Hulu has what, Halo, and Only Murders in the Building as well? If I'm gonna sub for a month might as well max it out. Anything else really good on that service? Who has that "They/Them" horror flick? Hulu or was that peacock or paramount or JFC I can't keep these services seperate!

Unfortunately I have a stack of unfinished stuff to include The Outfit, and Nightmare Alley. Tough to get 2 hours straight in a night these days and if the film isn't a banger its pretty easy to just drop it because you just don't see it up on the screen unless you load up that specific streaming service. Better a film though than all the tv shows I've never finished :p

Obviously they were paid off /s
I agree with you, but just to be fair I will answer your post seriously since there are those here who will think like that.

Alex, specifically, is the one that I can confidently say is not paid off. He is literally the human embodiment of a Neogaf poster(so much so that I think he secretly posts here) and will take a dump on every movie that he knows was written, directed, or acted poorly with no remorse. Angry Joe has had to reign him in at times because of the fact that he sometimes has connections and speaks to directors and actors who watch his content. However, Alex would easily burn those bridges if he could. So, even if you don't trust OJ or AJ, Alex's metric has been consistent and his talking points have been explained with concise detail.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Hulu has what, Halo, and Only Murders in the Building as well? If I'm gonna sub for a month might as well max it out. Anything else really good on that service? Who has that "They/Them" horror flick? Hulu or was that peacock or paramount or JFC I can't keep these services seperate!

Unfortunately I have a stack of unfinished stuff to include The Outfit, and Nightmare Alley. Tough to get 2 hours straight in a night these days and if the film isn't a banger its pretty easy to just drop it because you just don't see it up on the screen unless you load up that specific streaming service. Better a film though than all the tv shows I've never finished :p

Halo is on Paramount+

Hulu has Only Murders (which is great), Pam & Tommy, and a few other things.

I think it's also the only place to stream Married...With Children

sol_bad

I think IMDB user scores are pretty reliable too. I dont think users on IMDB resort to review bombing like gamers doing 10,000 scores where the avg mark is 1/10. I think the Warcraftc Reforged game had a score of 0.6/10 at one time.

Last Jedi has a 4.1/10 on MC and a 6.9/10 on IMDB. Which one is more accurate for the average person? There's almost 3 pt split between them. I'm not a big SW fan, but I'd probably still trend my score closer to IMDB.

I prefer Letterboxd. It has a larger pool of user reviews and generally isn't infected by holy crusades from either side.

sol_bad

What does it do to combat this? Because even IMDB fell victim to it for a few movies.

They can't do anything to combat it but look at the review numbers on IMDB and Letterboxd for Prey right now.
784 on IMDB.
65 on Letterboxd.

Far more warriors on IMDB fighting the good fight.

Last edited:
Culture war shit over this movie? I hate you virgins so much. Can we please just let it come out, consume the product then go in it on it afterward? I just want it to be good. I got this to look forward to after work and tomorrow morning I got the last episode of Atlanta S3 to watch. It's gonna be a good day.

K' Dash

Joe is still doing content? holy shit.

Joe is still doing content? holy shit.
Yep, he evolved his format to include his co-hosts and moved on from using the Angry Shtick in every video(and he only mainly does the angry stuff in videos with the 'angry rant' thumbnail). Now the words 'Angry Joe' are mainly just a brand name for the most part. I actually prefer the multi-reviewer format for movies and TV shows because all three of them challenge the others' opinions when reviewing at times, and I feel like that's way better than a single reviewer feeling like his word the authority on all things.

Top Bottom