• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro wrestling industry in uproar after one wrestler purposely injures another

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
zvvrnnves6j9hskqkn9d.gif

Pro Wrestler Sexy Star Accused Of Intentionally Injuring Opponent's Arm In Shoot

Sexy Star, best known in the U.S. for her appearances on Lucha Underground, is being accused of intentionally injuring the arm of another wrestler, Rosemary, in an apparent shoot at a major Mexican wrestling card over the weekend.

The incident happened at TripleMania XXV, the annual biggest show in Mexican wrestling promotion AAA, on Saturday night. Sexy Star was in a four-way match for the Reina de Reinas (Queen of Queens) championship with Rosemary, Lady Shani, and Ayako Hamada.

According to PWInsider, Sexy Star legitimately got into it with Lady Shani during the match. For reasons yet unknown, Star kept a legit cross-arm bar on well after Rosemary tapped and the bell rang. Shani suffered an arm injury from the hold, which PWI says is feared to be a triceps tear.
Yesterday, Rosemary posted a statement to Twitter under the heading ”24 hours removed":

"Let me make this perfectly clear: if you take liberties with someone's body when they are giving it to you and trusting you to keep them safe, you are not tough. You are an asshole. And you don't belong in this business.

Sexy Star decided to do just that this weekend at TripleMania. And while I have remained quiet on social media until I was more calm to address the situation, I have now being informed that she is telling people that it is a work. You are all now being informed that Sexy Star is a liar. She was a liar in the locker room when she was forced to apologize and instead cooked up some bulls–t excuse that she ‘didn't know' and she is a liar now. You know if you are torquing on someone's arm. You know an armbar is a real and dangerous hold.

The only reason your face is not broken right now is because a little voice inside my head as I lay on the apron kept repeating, ‘Don't go to Mexican prison.' (thanks Demon).

However, turning to positives, the outreach from the wrestling community has been incredible. I'm overwhelmed with how much love I feel right now from friends, fans, and people I have yet to meet in this amazing business. We are a family and we protect our own. If you violate that, you are not welcome here.

I also want to thank the AAA locker room. Multiple people came up to me saying how sorry and disgusted they were. Thank you Hamada and Shani, who also had to deal with bullshit from Star during that match. Thank you, Vampiro, for professionally trying to calm a volatile situation, though, as you know, once the excuses started pouring out of Sexy Star's mouth in lieu of an apology, it was over.

Thank you to the amazing GFW locker room, both present that night and not. I have so much support from everyone, and talent, crew and office have all reached out to show me that."

TripleMania got extra attention in the U.S. this year, as the entire event was streamed in Spanish and English on Twitch.

Wrestler Sexy Star Accused of Deliberately Injuring Opponent

Sexy Star has been accused of deliberately injuring a fellow wrestler during the AAA TripleMania XXV event in Mexico City, Mexico over the weekend.

The fight was a four-way women's match for the Reina de Reinas Championship between Sexy Star, Rosemary, Ayako Hamada and Lady Shani. According to PWInsider, the feud began between Sexy Star and Lady Shani, both of whom started to shoot (a term used to describe two fighters going off-script during a fight) in an effort to injure each other. While Rosemary wasn't initially involved in the exchange, Sexy Star reportedly believed each wrestler was going after her and popped Rosemary's arm out of place during an armbar submission.

While Sexy Star reportedly left the building before returning to apologize under the orders of Vampiro, the Director of Talent for Lucha Libre AAA Worldwide, many in the wrestling community have spoken out about what happened.

First, Rosemary gave her account of the story with a lengthy post on Twitter: "Let me make this perfectly clear," Rosemary started. "If you take liberties with someone's body when they are giving it to you and trusting you to keep them safe, you are not tough. You are an asshole. And you don't belong in this business.

"Sexy Star decided to do just that this weekend at TripleMania. And while I have remained quiet on social media until I was more calm to address the situation, I have now being informed that she is telling people that it is a work. You are all now being informed that Sexy Star is a liar. She was a liar in the locker room when she was forced to apologize and instead cooked up some bullshit excuse that she 'didn't know' and she is a liar now. You know if you are torquing on someone's arm. You know an armbar is a real and dangerous hold."

Then other wrestlers rushed to Rosemary's aid. The WWE's Paige tweeted that there is "no room for bullies in this business" and Cody Rhodes made it clear that Sexy Star will "never set foot in one of my locker rooms." Joey Ryan said a violation of trust in the wrestling business means "you're not one of us."

Youtube video of the incident:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JR7aD9AEqA

Foffy

Banned
That's fucked up. Wrasslin can already get people serious hurt; you don't need to go out of your way and do it on purpose. :/

styl3s

I've been following this on social media and it seems like her career is pretty much over. It's just a matter of time before the rest of the indies speak out against her and ban her from stepping foot in their ring and i don't blame them.

Keep your childish beef out of the fucking ring.

Sagroth

I dunno all that much about wrestling(only recently started watch Lucha Underground on a friend's insistence), but as I understand it, Sexy Star is known for being a pretty lousy individual(doing a lot of BS behind the scenes like trying to get people fired, or so my friend tells me). So this is awful, but not entirely surprising.

Fury451

Banned
I've been following this on social media and it seems like her career is pretty much over. It's just a matter of time before the rest of the indies speak out against her and ban her from stepping foot in their ring and i don't blame them.

It's done for sure. Even if the feuds are real, in the ring you're professional entertainers and this is the equivalent of a basketball player breaking another's leg.

I guess we will see.

AAA can be some real carny fuckers. Alvarez said it wouldnt surprise him if AAA keeps booking her purely because of the exposure they are getting in the USA.

Bronx-Man

Banned
She's almost certaintly getting blackballed from the industry but I doubt she cares since she keeps trying to convince the world she can make a career out of boxing.

Piece of shit. Should be criminal, really.

Wonder if there is a cue that wrestlers can develop, so that the ref can break it up.

everything about Sexy Star and everything she's done just screams asshole. The fact that the company tries so hard to keep her as a top star is really disgusting...

TraBuch

Banned
She's a horrible person and definitely should be blacklisted but let's be serious here, if Yoshiko isn't blacklisted for that horrifying shit she did, Sexy Star won't be either.

styl3s

I guess we will see.

AAA can be some real carny fuckers. Alvarez said it wouldnt surprise him if AAA keeps booking her purely because of the exposure they are getting in the USA.
AAA might book her but we'll see who is willing to work with her there.

Guarantee she won't get a job in the US unless it's in a barn outside some backwoods town in kentucky.

Lesnar's case was a bit different: he stiffed Braun because he wasn't selling because he was green, not because he wanted to hurt him.

Holly was a cunt, tho.

actually, around this time WWE was building Braun for Undertaker so they didn't want Braun to take a bump for anything to build him as this unstoppable monster. Unfortunately they did not tell Lesnar this... After this, Braun's push was paused for a moment.

The Bob Holly one is just classic WWE bully behavior, I'm sure he was told to do this from the higher ups just like the moment with Danial Puder (note: WWE were pissed at Daniel for almost beating Kurt Angle in a amateur wrestling almost breaking his arm... This was his punishment...)

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Is it just me or dioes that gif not help at all?

The match was already called, Sexy Star (in blue) had Rosemary (in orange) in an armbar. You can see Rosemary's arm briefly escape the hold but Sexy Star grabs it again to continue the hold.

aid378870-v4-728px-Do-a-Jiu-Jitsu-Arm-Bar-Step-4.jpg

sibarraz

Banned
Man, everytime that I see an AAA show I am always amazed by how that company can be filled with so many carnys. In contrast, CMLL has lots of questionable things too, but that company looks way more serious than AAA. Specially in AAA, I always hate how the worship Roldan like it was some kind of god

DiscoJer

As a fan of Lucha Underground, I'm sorry to see this. She was one of my favorites on the show and that's really a jerk move and probably deserves to be banned from wrestling

Is Sexy Star wrestling's least creative moniker yet?

I guess English name sound exotic in Mexico?

Is JBL/Blue Meanie really the most recent serious shoot in men's wrestling? That was over a decade ago. Between this an the Yoshiko/Act incident that's two major issues in just a couple years.

Bakercat

Yep, these kind of things happen a lot on the indy scene, especially in the south. When I was wrestling I saw this all the time. Two workers don't like each other and one of them gets their ass beat in the ring. I've even been asked by a promoter to rough up a tag team at a show during a match because they walked in the building the next show after winning NWA titles and telling him that they couldn't do his show for 6 weeks since they had made other bookings. I didn't do it because it wasn't any of my business and I didn't have beef with the workers.

I actually had this happen to me last year in the ring. I was the NWA southern tag team champion at the time and the show I was working had a new owner who didn't like me at all. He was the kind of dude who would act like your best friend, but once you walked away he would talk shit about you to others. He was also a loud and obnioxous redneck fuck to boot. Anyway, that night I was dropping the title to another team. The big guy of the team was always nice to me and we got along well, never any problems. During the match I started putting the heat on him since I was a heel. After a little bit I tell him to start firing up so I could cut him off afterwards. Everything is going ok until he punches me very stiff in the stomach. I didn't think much of it and went to rake his eyes to cut him off when he throws his fist with a hook right into my mouth, busting my lip wide open. I was hit so hard it knocked me to the ground and I almost blacked out. Right afterwards the ref rings the bell and they become the new champions as I lay in the corner unable to move in a pool of my own blood. My upper lip was hit so hard that it tore it in half and it was hanging by a thread of tissue. I got rush to the back and then taken by my fiancé and my tag partner to the local hospital since I didn't know the area well. When I got there the doctor said I needed surgery, but he was to scared to do it himself because of how bad it was and didn't wanna screw it up. I was sent to Nashville TN at 1:00 in the morning to have emergency plastic surgery to save my lip. Thankfully I made it and had the surgery and now all is good, just a scar on my upper lip now. But yeah, I have a pretty good feeling that I got a hit put on me from that promoter. Wrestling business is cutthroat I tells ya. I have pics with the aftermath, but they might be to NSFW to post her. The match is actually up on YouTube aswell last I checked.

Yep, these kind of things happen a lot on the indy scene, especially in the south. When I was wrestling I saw this all the time. Two workers don't like each other and one of them gets their ass beat in the ring. I've even been asked by a promoter to rough up a tag team at a show during a match because they walked in the building the next show after winning NWA titles and telling him that they couldn't do his show for 6 weeks since they had made other bookings. I didn't do it because it wasn't any of my business and I didn't have beef with the workers.

I actually had this happen to me last year in the ring. I was the NWA southern tag team champion at the time and the show I was working had a new owner who didn't like me at all. He was the kind of dude who would act like your best friend, but once you walked away he would talk shit about you to others. He was also a loud and obnioxous redneck fuck to boot. Anyway, that night I was dropping the title to another team. The big guy of the team was always nice to me and we got along well, never any problems. During the match I started putting the heat on him since I was a heel. After a little bit I tell him to start firing up so I could cut him off afterwards. Everything is going ok until he punches me very stiff in the stomach. I didn't think much of it and went to rake his eyes to cut him off when he throws his fist with a hook right into my mouth, busting my lip wide open. I was hit so hard it knocked me to the ground and I almost blacked out. Right afterwards the ref rings the bell and they become the new champions as I lay in the corner unable to move in a pool of my own blood. My upper lip was hit so hard that it tore it in half and it was hanging by a thread of tissue. I got rush to the back and then taken by my fiancé and my tag partner to the local hospital since I didn't know the area well. When I got there the doctor said I needed surgery, but he was to scared to do it himself because of how bad it was and didn't wanna screw it up. I was sent to Nashville TN at 1:00 in the morning to have emergency plastic surgery to save my lip. Thankfully I made it and had the surgery and now all is good, just a scar on my upper lip now. But yeah, I have a pretty good feeling that I got a hit put on me from that promoter. Wrestling business is cutthroat I tells ya. I have pics with the aftermath, but they might be to NSFW to post her. The match is actually up on YouTube aswell last I checked.

This sounds terrifying! Yet... I want to see this match.

I'm really glad they were able to save your lip tough man. That is so fucked up.

Sheroking

Intentionally wrenching an arm out with a hold is different than throwing a potato, but here are a couple of other "pissed wrestlers throw live rounds" moments.

Mike Bell botches a spot, so Perry Saturn beats the hell out of him and drops him on his head.

Can't find the videos on YT, but Jerry Lawler intentionally broke both Paul Heyman's and Jimmy Hart's jaws. He's admitted to the Heyman thing.

There's a famous story of Warrior hurting Andre in matches, so Andre knocked him clean out at a house show.

I personally hope she gets blackballed from the industry, there's no room for shady shit like that.

Rosemary could have a serious injury from this and will be losing money by not being able to work dates while injured because of some petty bullshit on Star's part.

I really liked the idea of Sexy Star's character in lucha but have usually been fairly unimpressed by her in ring skills so I wouldn't miss her too much as Lucha has far superior female talents in Ivelisse & Taya.

Top Bottom