• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Plus Subscribers Reportedly Flocking to Cancel Their Subscriptions

donkey_oaty

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Online gaming on consoles should be free.

Not "free", but free.

One of the greatest long running scams in the industry.
For sure. I used to buy PlayStation consoles and buy PS games my friends were playing. I hate that I can't do it anymore without there being a subscription on top of it. I don't think I'll ever get another Sony console while I can't play online with my friends for free.

They should have announced BB Remaster and BB 2, then dropped the price increase. LOL. I wouldn't bite, but damn it, I would at least consider it, lol.
If they lose 10% of subs they'll still be taking in more revenue. And people will come crawling back if Sony decide to add more value.
What if that loss of subs goes deeper than 10%? What if it hits 20-25%?
Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't have an enticing exclusive lineup in the way that Sony does, so Microsoft can't really capitalize off of this blunder. Otherwise, I'd say it would be the perfect opportunity.

dotnotbot

They should have announced BB Remaster and BB 2, then dropped the price increase. LOL. I wouldn't bite, but damn it, I would at least consider it, lol.

Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't have an enticing exclusive lineup in the way that Sony does, so Microsoft can't really capitalize off of this blunder. Otherwise, I'd say it would be the perfect opportunity.

MS already tried to double Gold prices, they're probably watching closely how it plays out for Sony and use it as an excuse to bump up their own prices later too.

Last edited:
MS already tried to double Gold prices, they're probably watching closely how it plays out for Sony and use it as an excuse to bump up their own prices later too.

Man, I forgot about that. They did backtrack, though. I think Sony is giving it a go to see if they can get away with it, without having to backtrack. But, if this thread could be a truthful example of what's to come? Maybe they will have to backtrack, too. Time to wait and find out!

Last edited:
bought a cheap 3 month card form cdkeys.com the other day.

for ONE reason alone: Gran Turismo 7.

and everyone drive like wankers and knock you off at every opportunity with ZERO way to report the pricks and ZERO repercussion.

multiplayer gaming is trash
CDkeys was great, they are THE ONLY reason why i tried ps plus in the first place, as I felt that even $60 was overpriced. But now, im sure even their prices will be rising.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
25% is the break-even point for a 33% hike.

100%-25% = 75% of subscribers remaining
75/3 = 25% of the original subscriber base funds are made up by the remaining 75%

I'm good through, I think, April 2025. Will probably just let it continue, but I'm certainly not tied to it. I'll see what the offerings are like by then. I would imagine this is Sony's model, though. Raise the prices, weather some cancellations, those who have extended multi-year subscriptions will forget about the price difference 2-3 years later plus will likely be financially better off by then anyway.

25% is the break-even point for a 33% hike.

100%-25% = 75% of subscribers remaining
75/3 = 25% of the original subscriber base funds are made up by the remaining 75%

I'm good through, I think, April 2025. Will probably just let it continue, but I'm certainly not tied to it. I'll see what the offerings are like by then. I would imagine this is Sony's model, though. Raise the prices, weather some cancellations, those who have extended multi-year subscriptions will forget about the price difference 2-3 years later plus will likely be financially better off by then anyway.

People are becoming more price-conscious, though. In general, with retail in mind. So, as I said, earlier, it'll be interesting to wait and see how this plays out.
I don't wish for Sony to take a hit but I also don't care if they do. Neutral, for the most part. I just want my damned Bloodborne on PC.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
People are becoming more price-conscious, though. In general, with retail in mind. So, as I said, earlier, it'll be interesting to wait and see how this plays out.
I don't wish for Sony to take a hit but I also don't care if they do. Neutral, for the most part. I just want my damned Bloodborne on PC.
PS is a huge money-spinner for Sony. They won't sabotage their golden goose. This may well just serve to offset the cancellations they are already seeing and expect moving forward, or could be intended to fund some game deals / developments that will incentivise people on the fence to stay once their sub runs out. Or, maybe there are features they want to offer up but don't want to tie their delivery directly to a price increase - PS3 emulation, for instance? Between this and selling off their financial division, they do look to be shoring up funds for something. Maybe they really do have further acquisition plans.

The gaming scene is much more competitive now with MS actually releasing games and buying up publishers. Sony would be damn fools to alienate their client-base by increasing prices without something to offer in return, and Sony haven't held the console crown for five consecutive generations across 30 years by being damn fools.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Already have auto renew turned off. I was on Deluxe.

It's shit. The 'classics catalogue' is fucking garbage, we don't get PS3 games or streaming in my part of the world, the 'free' games are junk - and 33% more? Hahahaha fuck you Jimbo.

Arrogant Sony is back and arrogant Sony sucks.

PS is a huge money-spinner for Sony. They won't sabotage their golden goose. This may well just serve to offset the cancellations they are already seeing and expect moving forward, or could be intended to fund some game deals / developments that will incentivise people on the fence to stay once their sub runs out. Or, maybe there are features they want to offer up but don't want to tie their delivery directly to a price increase - PS3 emulation, for instance? Between this and selling off their financial division, they do look to be shoring up funds for something. Maybe they really do have further acquisition plans.

The gaming scene is much more competitive now with MS actually releasing games and buying up publishers. Sony would be damn fools to alienate their client-base by increasing prices without something to offer in return, and Sony haven't held the console crown for five consecutive generations across 30 years by being damn fools.
I would not say that they've held the crown this gen, but for the most part, I thought they did? They've been doing fairly well against the Switch for the last 1-2 years, no? I'm a bit inebriated, so bare with me for asking these rhetoricals. In the big picture, I really believe Sony hammered it this gen. Solid hardware with the SSD/IO revolution that they set into motion, showed solid looking games, with cutting edge graphics. Got some nice 3rd party, timed exclusives. I would crown them, ultimately. Color me a hypocrite, I guess, but, you have to give me credit for admitting it. Lol. I also believe they have multiple games that sold into the Million(s). *thinks about NIntendo* Damn... maybe they are not the kings.. LOL Nintendo does in one IP what Sony can do with 2-3 in sales. I am not sure on that math, but I bet it would check out in some way. Anyway, I got work early, tomorrow. Take care. I'll be back in the AM.

tusharngf

I think 3 free games warrant that amount given the service they provide. Yeah download speeds are not like steam but still a great service.

Cyberpunkd

The 160 is like 13 a month if you can't afford that I dunno what else to tell ya. That's not that expensive.
My old university professor told us 20 years ago: you know why rich people are rich? They don’t spend money.

160 over a few years is more than the price of the console itself. Besides, this can also be a principle thing - they are not adding additional services, nor increasing it by the rate of inflation. This is pure cash grab.

Aenima

Good, i did the same as soon they anounced the price hike.
Even if i will probably resub the PS+ Extra during the Black Friday promo. Gotta send a message to Sony, and canceling the sub actually allows you to pick a reason to why you are canceling.

K' Dash

I mean, the service is shit, would’ve made sense to reduce the price, lol.

Some people here saying it’s only $13 a month… so? The service is not worth $13 a month.

It’s not about the price, it’s about the content you’re getting for your money, I got Extra last year and the only game I played from the service was Miles Morales. I’m here almost a year later and only one game from the service caught my attention or didn’t already have.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
If you’re aware of what sits on your account, all those PS3, Vita, PSP, and PS1 classics. The whole idea of them bringing over selected titles to Premium is stupid. They hand pick what gets released. I got Wild Arms 2, Syphon Filter Legend of Dragoon, and etc upgrades at no cost. I didn’t get Resident Evil with trophies because that comes with Premium. While those games are good. I’m still without all the Squaresoft and Capcom games.

All they’ll do is expand their collection, maybe add another classic here and there. I paid for this stuff already. That’s if they let me download the PS5 version because I paid for it in the past.

Outside of playing a handful of games online. It’s been stupid for me to upgrade. I don’t exactly want to pay that much for online. They leave you no choice if you want to play with other people.

I think the whole thing is stupid. It’s like Nintendo having all these games like GBA, NES, SNES, 3DS, and etc on the Wii U eShop. Now they paywall all the classics on their online sub model.

They’re not giving you a long lasting product. They’re giving you whatever trend they make up. If that makes sense. For the most part with PC, as long as you’ve got access to your library, things are good (GOG, Steam, etc).

Yea. It might not anger everyone else the same way, but I find no value outside their classic collection (I paid for those games years ago) to want to upgrade. I hand select the games I want to play and they don’t need to be a monthly Plus game when I do get to play them. I didn’t bother with Saints Row when it came out and I don’t care about it on a sub service. The whole thing feels overly priced for content I could care less about.

Last edited:
Saints Row being the big game of the month when they announced this was a pretty big
PR fuck-up, I can’t remember the last “free” game I actually sunk time into so the value just isn’t there.

Cancelled the day they announced, was on a rolling monthly sub.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t think their World Wide, combine all the studios, artsy fartsy, hire Jade Raymond for your Fortnite clone of a game is all that great. They’ve turned the great PlayStation into something stupid if you ask me.

I will still play games on the console because I love PS, but that’s my two cents. :)

Killjoy-NL

The vast majority forgot they have this set on and will continue paying.
Some, sure.

But let's be honest:
When Sony put online multiplayer behind PS+, everybody was supposedly going to boycot it, yet here we are, paying for PS+.

The same will happen with the price increase, just like with the price increase for games.

Noble cause, but pointless battle.

Aenima

Not "free", but free.

Its kinda funny that F2P games are actually free to play online without needing a sub, but premium games need a sub. Im still scratching my head at how MS pulled this stunt back in the X360 without even ofereing any games, and how the X360 players allowed this to happen. Now its a golden mine to console makers with they closed gardens. Even Nintendo could not resist in getting a piece of the scam.

reinking

Gold Member
I cancel mine every time I resubscribe. The question is, will I resubscribe before my current sub expires? Serious doubt.

Most people who cancel now will be back.When they find a cheap plus offer like on thanksgiving or if there will be a new amazing game which has online play they don’t want to miss out on.

A reddit post?

I was expecting something that we could actually discuss.

I feel like there’s even less outrage over this than when ps5 increased in price and…sold out anyway.

You check comments sections all over social media over the last few days and no one mentions this by now. Only for like 2 days that happened…and it sucks.

Sony probably realized everyone bought their yearly psplus when they do that 33% discount so they thought “let’s just increase the price by 33% so everyone buys it at the price we usually have it currently “ lmao

Sucks tbh.

Soodanim

Every time I think about getting a console again, I completely forget about the sub to play online. It's absurd, so I forget about it.

Puscifer

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Not "free", but free.

I would only partially disagree because I have to say what Xbox live did was truly innovate back on the Xbox. Cross game invites, messaging and clan management was wild vs what's just available today for free and in many ways still isn't as good as they're coming behind the originators.

Last edited:

Puscifer

A reddit post?

I was expecting something that we could actually discuss.

I feel like there’s even less outrage over this than when ps5 increased in price and…sold out anyway.

You check comments sections all over social media over the last few days and no one mentions this by now. Only for like 2 days that happened…and it sucks.

Sony probably realized everyone bought their yearly psplus when they do that 33% discount so they thought “let’s just increase the price by 33% so everyone buys it at the price we usually have it currently “ lmao

Sucks tbh.
I admit Sony did a great job of hiding the price increase with game bundles for the same price. They basically get what they're looking for while increasing attach rate

Krieger

If everyone who commented and upvoted in that Reddit thread AND everyone in this thread right here stopped paying for PS+ it wouldn't even count for 0.01% of all subscribers, so yeah, Sony doesn't give a fuck. The amount of dudes paying for PS+ just to play FIFA or CoD online also won't give a fuck about a price increase. They probably don't even know how much they pay for it anyway and have it on auto-renew.
The price increase sucks, but I haven't payed the full price in years so it's just "meh" to me.

nowhat

Same here. Even put my wife on the job. I told her to remind me about this when my subscription runs out in may.
You do you, of course, but you do realize that you can turn off that auto-renewal right now, right? Also, a calendar reminder is much more reliable than a significant other.

scydrex

This reminded me to cancel and done. Plus extra until 07-02-24. Increase in price and no added value. No thanks!

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
I would not say that they've held the crown this gen, but for the most part, I thought they did? They've been doing fairly well against the Switch for the last 1-2 years, no? I'm a bit inebriated, so bare with me for asking these rhetoricals. In the big picture, I really believe Sony hammered it this gen. Solid hardware with the SSD/IO revolution that they set into motion, showed solid looking games, with cutting edge graphics. Got some nice 3rd party, timed exclusives. I would crown them, ultimately. Color me a hypocrite, I guess, but, you have to give me credit for admitting it. Lol. I also believe they have multiple games that sold into the Million(s). *thinks about NIntendo* Damn... maybe they are not the kings.. LOL Nintendo does in one IP what Sony can do with 2-3 in sales. I am not sure on that math, but I bet it would check out in some way. Anyway, I got work early, tomorrow. Take care. I'll be back in the AM.
You misunderstood. Blame the alcohol.

They *have* held the crown, and are *not* damn fools.

Question—if we got in at the $59.99/yr early adopter price that we supposedly got to keep in perpetuity…does this price increase impact that too? Or is Sony still allowing the $59.99 to carry on for early adopters?

I ask because I show a $59.99/yr. renewal rate for when my sub renews middle 2024 from Sony…but when I go to the page to re-up, it’s showing $113 (U.S.) instead, so I’m not sure…

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
Lol, posting a thread about the opinions of Reddit users. I'd rather punch myself in the dick than read the comments of those cunts fucks at reddit.

Top Bottom