• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Plus Subscribers Reportedly Flocking to Cancel Their Subscriptions

Barakov

Most posts say they will unsubscribe because of the price increase

Get fucked, Jimbo.
magicians middle finger GIF by SYFY

Question—if we got in at the $59.99/yr early adopter price that we supposedly got to keep in perpetuity…does this price increase impact that too? Or is Sony still allowing the $59.99 to carry on for early adopters?

I ask because I show a $59.99/yr. renewal rate for when my sub renews middle 2024 from Sony…but when I go to the page to re-up, it’s showing $113 (U.S.) instead, so I’m not sure…

My renewal date was Nov 2024. Just added another year for $60, renewal date in 2025 still showing $60...

Banjo64

cumsessed
This generation in particular I get the feeling that Microsoft and Sony could not care less about the 10% of hardcore gamers, and are happy to service the 90% casuals/Marvel lovers who don’t even check their bank balances.

It’s all retrodden ground at this point, so I won’t go over everything.

But yeah. Never ever felt like this. Just making it absolutely unabashedly clear that I’m nothing but a pathetic oil well for them to relentlessly drill with the bare minimum in return.

Well, I fucked them both off 5-6 months ago and I’ve not missed either of them.

Tangerine

Full disclosure. I have multiple Switches, an Xbox Series X and an ASOS Rog ally. I will be getting a full on 3 or 4k UK £ gaming PC soon. Waiting for inheritance.

I like sony games. I really dislike Sony and Jim Ryan currently. So much BS and lies this gen. I follow gaming news closely. Sonys BS is greater than MS' imo.

I decided I wouldn't get a PS5. I play Spiderman, god of war, journey, etc etc. On my Rog ally. Amazing games. I will buy more Sony games for PC for sure.

I pay for gamepass ultimate. It runs out in a year. I paid very little for 3 years with that loophole. Maybe £5 a month? Or less? Half price basically. Never paid full price.

When it runs out I doubt I'll keep paying monthly. I cancelled every subscription service recently. Netflix, Disney plus, Amazon prime. It's a huge saving. I have £5 a month SIM only contract and that's it.

I would absolutely cancel PS sub if I had it. Don't think it's worth it. Hate the increase in price.

But it pissed me off, increases in prices for every single subscription service I was subbed to.

PC gaming is my way forward. I have so many epic game store free games to play, good ones. Asus Rog is a nice stepping stone.

Can't wait to get a state of the art Gaming PC!

Portugeezer

Couple people on the Internet said they're canceling.

Question—if we got in at the $59.99/yr early adopter price that we supposedly got to keep in perpetuity…does this price increase impact that too? Or is Sony still allowing the $59.99 to carry on for early adopters?

I ask because I show a $59.99/yr. renewal rate for when my sub renews middle 2024 from Sony…but when I go to the page to re-up, it’s showing $113 (U.S.) instead, so I’m not sure…
The price increase only starts on the 6th this month, and I believe (not sure) for CURRENT subscribers there is a grace period with the old price until November.

Last edited:

protonion

I'm cancelling too.

I had the now essential for years and looking back I'm wondering what for.

Online, I play only Rocket League atm which doesn't need plus anymore.

And the monthly games mean nothing to me as I will always buy what I like...

Time to give Nintendo online a try.

It is cheap and the legacy library is more appealing to me.

I will not even entertain the idea to return unless there is a new dirt cheap option for online only probably.

Congratulations Jim I guess.

Portugeezer

I'm cancelling too.

I will not even entertain the idea to return unless there is a new dirt cheap option for online only probably.

I hope people would cancel to send a message...

But then FIFA and COD come out.

FunkMiller

I’ve seen no reason to subscribe to PS Plus for months. And I certainly won’t be subscribing again any time soon. Not needed.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's best to be vocal about this. Like MS with their attempted price hike. It may make them drop the price or at least improve the offering. Like 1st party games.

xrnzaaas

Someone post the MW2 boycot group haha.

Somehow I don't just trust random comments on the internet
I think it's a different situation. This price increase will make many people actually reevaluate if they need PS+, especially if they play singleplayer games. It doesn't have to be an empty statement or a rash decision you'll regret 5 minutes later.

Spyxos

I have had my Ps Plus subscription since the Ps3. Since I now iplay much less multiplayer. When i bought the Ps5, i only got 1 year ps plus and when it expired i did not renew it. After that I bought ps plus here and there for 1 month, but the games you get there are 90% for me uninteresting and mp I do not play. No idea what they were thinking.

Hudo

No idea what they were thinking.
Probably that they have enough people locked into their ecosystem that they can price hike with only an insignificant number of cancellations. So essentially: It's free money for Sony.

orimagdos

Banned
Those who unsubscribe are the same ones who were shitting their pants from joy with the claim that ps plus rivals and exceeds gamepass.

How times change hahaha.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Thanks for the reminder. I forgot to cancel mine, lol. I already downgraded months ago but this made me rethink if there's actually anything that this subscription is in any way useful to me. And the answer is nope. Not for that price, at least. I could've kept the basic plan for some occasional minor convenience of cloud saves or monthly games that I didn't own yet, but this is just ridiculous.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
Wife and I just did the same. 33% increase with no added value?

Nope.

20% in the UK, why more in the US I wonder? Here it's going up from £50 to £60 a year. Big percentage but in cash terms £10 a year is not going to break the bank for anyone. And if it does then that person has bigger problems to worry about.

When was the previous price rise? Maybe it is just catching up with inflation.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
20% in the UK, why more in the US I wonder? Here it's going up from £50 to £60 a year. Big percentage but in cash terms £10 a year is not going to break the bank for anyone. And if it does then that person has bigger problems to worry about.

When was the previous price rise? Maybe it is just catching up with inflation.

Whole thing was kinda inevitable. I mean, if you consider PS5 games are sold at a RRP £10 more than PS4 games, what did people think was going to happen as more and more PS5 titles were added to the service?

Expecting that price rise NOT to be factored into the sub cost was always pretty implausible.

I'm cancelling too.

just get a pc

mdkirby

People making posts and screaming into the internet are likely in the minority.

That said it’ll probably push me to drop the premium tier, it just doesn’t offer me anything of value. I really want to see them offer better perks for that tier, an extra 10-20% discount on purchases of non sale items etc. that sort of thing. Or an extra third party day one release each month. I mostly buy games when I want them and play single player. The best perk for me from ps+ has always been the plus exclusive discounts they do wrack up over a year.

Kupfer

imagine crying over 10€ :p
This is not about the 10€ (here, by the way, it is 12€, 26€ or 32€ surcharge which is an increase of 20%, 26%, 26,6%), but about being milked by a multi-billion dollar corporation that pays its chairmen bonuses in the millions and pretends that the business is no longer worthwhile without a price increase. In the process, decisions are made that are disadvantageous for the customer, who becomes more and more dependent on this corporation.
I don't give a damn about the 12€ surcharge, but I don't want to get screwed.

Therefore, canceled.

Also crossposting this:
If you want to set an example, you can cancel your subscription right now.
The period already paid for remains activated, but this way Sony sees directly that people are cancelling based on their decision.

It's easy,

• go to the app
  • click on PS Store (bottom centre)
  • then on the three horizontal lines at the top right
  • then subscription management

Here you can cancel the existing subscription with 2 clicks (and reactivate it if you change your mind).

Starship Troopers GIF

It's true that most auto-renewable subscription users will probably never know and therefore don't care about the price hike.
That's why it's all the more important that we at least try to make Sony understand that its customers aren't happy with their decisions.
Cancelled auto-renewable subscriptions will be reflected in their internal numbers and statistics and hopefully cause concern.
Auto-renewable subscriptions mean future-proof money to plan with. The more people drop out, the less planning certainty and hopefully a reason to rethink.

Last edited:

SLESS

Last straw for PC to return as my primary place to game, far too huge an increase to stomach.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I think it's a different situation. This price increase will make many people actually reevaluate if they need PS+, especially if they play singleplayer games. It doesn't have to be an empty statement or a rash decision you'll regret 5 minutes later.
Tickets? I need proof of this mass decline in subs.

There's nothing I trust a person making an anonymous comment on the internet about

If there's a genuine movement for change then sure I'm all for it, but this is literally "my uncle from nintendo"

Eimran

Cancelled mine too. .

For all that are sceptical and throwing laughing emoji's at this, do realize that companies feel it when you hit them in their wallet.

You can agree with it or not but 33% is a criminal price increase. Especially considering Sony is already sitting on top of profits.

The amount of subscribers stopped increasing and instead of making it more attractive by adding a better library they just took the lazy route and try to con an extra 33% out of all the subscribers.

Even if they don't cancel their price increase it creates a message that fans aren't gonna put up with this shit.

While if everybody just shrugs it away, what's to stop them in a year of two when they increase it again to 200 or higher.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
One thing to keep in mind, if you're "just playing single player games" - Sony has cloud storage tied to PS+ and will delete your cloud saves after six months of you not being a subscriber. Just a heads up.

actually evil.

This is not true actually.

Sold my PS4 Pro, got a XONEX and then a XSX on November 2020, didn't touch anything PS or PSN related for almost 3 years and when I jumped back in on February '23 my PS cloud saves were still there, intact.

Don't know where people get the "6 months and your saves are gone" thing but it's not true.

Regarding the price hike now, I'll have to agree, absolutely cunt move for no added benefits/value whatsoever especially for the other 2 higher plans which were introduced barely 1 year ago.

I'm out

Last edited:

Kupfer

This is not true actually.

Sold my PS4 Pro, got a XONEX and then a XSX on November 2020, didn't touch anything PS or PSN related for almost 3 years and when I jumped back in on February '23 my PS cloud saves were still there, intact.

Don't know where people get the "6 months and your saves are gone" thing but it's not true.

Regarding the price hike now, I'll have to agree, absolutely cunt move for no added benefits/value whatsoever especially for the other 2 higher plans which were introduced barely 1 year ago.

I'm out
And to be fair, who continues to play their years old saves? I don't touch my old save games at all. Apart from that, the old savegames are still on the old console and can be backed up via USB and the current PS5 savegames are also on the console and can be backed up to a USB stick, not separately and as easily as on the PS4, but including a complete system backup.

Still, it's a crappy move by Sony to hide such a basic feature behind a paywall without the possibility to backup the individual savegames to a stick.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Where games don't perform poorly and components are not overpriced.

They normally perform better than these consoles and the investment lasts for years. You don't need to buy a pro console upgrade every 3 years and also pay 120 dollars a year to play online and rent free games.

Just get a pc and play for free and get games for free thanks to epic. Pay cheaper for games and feel confident they will be yours for years.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Cancelled mine too. .

For all that are sceptical and throwing laughing emoji's at this, do realize that companies feel it when you hit them in their wallet.

You can agree with it or not but 33% is a criminal price increase. Especially considering Sony is already sitting on top of profits.

The amount of subscribers stopped increasing and instead of making it more attractive by adding a better library they just took the lazy route and try to con an extra 33% out of all the subscribers.

Even if they don't cancel their price increase it creates a message that fans aren't gonna put up with this shit.

While if everybody just shrugs it away, what's to stop them in a year of two when they increase it again to 200 or higher.

If they rolled back the price increase, and pulled the revenue back by procuring fewer/cheaper titles for the service would that really be preferable?

Its weird to me that gamers seem to be literally the only class of consumer that expects not only their products to be immune to general inflation/economics but to in fact continually offer better value for money based on the fortunes of the content/service providers. What other product/service does this?

I sure as shit wish suppliers of unavoidable/inescapable charges like utility companies acted like that! Way more so than anyone gaming related. And before anyone accuses me of "whataboutism", if you're an adult with responsibilities for your own life there is no opt-out clause for those basics - if my electricity bill hadn't been jacked to the fucking moon over the last 12 months I'd have a shitload more money for gaming and therefore could seriously consider spending the considerable sum involved in buying/running a high-end PC.

Elysium44

Banned
And to be fair, who continues to play their years old saves? I don't touch my old save games at all. Apart from that, the old savegames are still on the old console and can be backed up via USB and the current PS5 savegames are also on the console and can be backed up to a USB stick, not separately and as easily as on the PS4, but including a complete system backup.

Still, it's a crappy move by Sony to hide such a basic feature behind a paywall without the possibility to backup the individual savegames to a stick.

This is true and it seems like a false economy from Sony. It is one thing Microsoft deserves credit for, free cloud saving which never expires. Sony's not only has to be paid for but they delete it after just six months if you don't stay subscribed. Really weak.

I don't like how the high end OLED TV's I like have gone up in price. I'm going to go back to a 42" cheapo set. Fuck LG! They won't get a penny from me again for those amazing pieces of technology, I'll show 'em.

I don't like how that car brand I like has put their prices up. You know what, I'm gonna walk and cycle everywhere. I won't drive again. I'll fucking show 'em.

That nose I've got? I fucking hate it. I'm gonna cut it right off, that'll spite my face all right.

FunkMiller

I feel, as more word gets out about how poor these consoles perform and these price hikes. Pc is going to continue to go from strength to strength.

Can't disagree. And I say that as a staunch console gamer for thirty years.

Seriously considering my next gaming purchase to be a PC for couch play. The consoles (other than the Switch) really are beginning to seem more and more pointless as this generation unfolds.

Ar¢tos

After doing some research, India psn is not as cheap as turkey, but it does gift cards. 1 year ps essential is about 40€ (34€ card value + shop profit). I'll make an India account when my ps extra runs out. I just want the online mp, not bothered with cloud saves.

Top Bottom