• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR2 to add PC support in 2024 (currently in testing)

Vlodril

I did not see that coming. Whatever helps spread the adoption of VR in general is great though (i have a psvr2 and a quest 3 myself).

Just bring us the hybrid games Sony.

peish

I hope it works smoothly with Steam games like their Dualsense

Would be a bonus if it works with Edge browser :messenger_smiling:

Rudius

Ah that. Valid point, sorry.

But this isnt a PC limitation. Its an optimisation process which can be adressed by a new PSVR2 firmware.
If Sony is going to mandate a PS5 as a bridge, than all has been for nothing.

Up until now it was a modding project. Now Sony is going to have a go. I dont see problems in the future and think it will work the same as the Quest.
Maybe with a Sony frontend needed, but that's fine.

The only limitation now is the know-how of the modding community.
iVRy is for a huge range of VR capable devices, not dedicated to PSVR2. The current PSVR2 driver is a mutation of the old PSVR driver if im not mistaken and that one even never worked flawlessly on PC.
Even if you have a Skullsplitter 5000 high end rig, it wont run properly. The drivers are emulation heavy.

Let Sony do it. they know how this thing is built. :)
I used IVRY for PSVR1 on Steam VR. It works well for cockpit games like racers, but not for something that needs VR controllers.

With official PSVR2 support from Sony I expect to be able to use the Sense controllers just like on PS5, perhaps missing only the support for the adaptive triggers, since that would be game dependent.

Going by what core PC gamers sentiments, a new storefront will bomb as they all prefer Steam, and maybe GOG too for some cheap oldie games. I do both for my cheap budget games. I think even EA and Bethesda caved in and put their games on Steam(?). Maybe other publishers too.

But if there was another storefront for other games, even I would say forget it. Only reason I do Steam and GOG is because GOG has tons of classic old games which Steam doesn't do. The no-DRM part of GOG I dont even care about. If Steam had way more classic 90s PC games, I'd just go all Steam. Both sites have similar prices too give or take a couple bucks. Even their discounts are pretty similar.

That's just fanboys. There are millions of new PC gamers every day who don't hold any sentiment towards Steam.

I just created a thread about it, but people should stop comparing publishers to storefront owners. They aren't the same.

Elbereth

Movie Reaction GIF

Rudius

The Eye tracking was the only thing I missed from the PSVR2 after switching over to the Quest 3.
Quest 3 is going to implement a Gaze Tracker in the new UI, That fakes eye tracking. I have my doubts it will be usefull.
I can't see how are they going to fake eye-tracking without the hardware.

Maybe Apple Vision Pro will just speed up the release of Quest 4 with eye-tracking next year.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I understand. But what I dont get is that Sony made a fantastic headset and has 2-3 killer apps for it. Thats not much.

They are doing this to boost sales. All for the better of course.

In all fairness I think they’re stretched too thin.

Even PS5 isn’t cranking out the volume of past PlayStations.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
NO WAY. I will absolutely get the headset if I can play my Steam VR games with it! And I’ll subsequently buy bespoke PSVR games on my PS5 because of that. Huge W for Sony and consumers if this turns out to be for reals.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If a PC gamer waits a year or two, not only does Sony do software ports, but hardware ports too. And that excludes day one GAAS.

Totoki wasnt kidding about being more aggressive with PC. He was just being vague in his executive PR the other day. But today was the day to talk PSVR2 for PC.

I understand. But what I dont get is that Sony made a fantastic headset and has 2-3 killer apps for it. Thats not much.

They are doing this to boost sales. All for the better of course.

Let's break that down
  • PSVR2 has only been on the market for 1 year yet has
    • Gran Turismo 7
    • Resident Evil Village
    • Resident Evil 4
    • No Man's Sky

In all fairness I think they’re stretched too thin.

Even PS5 isn’t cranking out the volume of past PlayStations.

I do think they're stretched thin, but I think your argument is disingenuous. Please show me how many 1st party hits Sony has released on PS1-4 in the same time. With or without the pandemic, Sony is actually rattling off more big games than they ever have before.

Minsc

Gold Member
It's still gonna need you to wire it to a PS5. Going by the headline it says:

"testing the ability for PlayStation VR2 players to access additional games on PC"

PS VR2 players are not people with a PC and without a PS5, to be a PSVR 2 player you must also have a PS5.

If they wanted to sell it as a solution for PC gamers to use a PSVR2 on their PC they would have said it differently imo. This totally reads as a solution to get PC games streaming on the PS5 then output to the PSVR2 to me.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

"testing the ability for PlayStation VR2 players to access additional games on PC"

PS VR2 players are not people with a PC and without a PS5, to be a PSVR 2 player you must also have a PS5.

If they wanted to sell it as a solution for PC gamers to use a PSVR2 on their PC they would have said it differently imo. This totally reads as a solution to get PC games streaming on the PS5 then output to the PSVR2 to me.
I dont think that's the case.

If it was just about getting extra PC only VR games playing on a PS5+PSVR2, that's nothing special to even blog about. That's just getting PC VR ports for PSVR2.

Minsc

Gold Member
I dont think that's the case.

If it was just about getting extra PC only VR games playing on a PS5+PSVR2, that's nothing special to even blog about. That's just getting PC VR ports for PSVR2.

How is streaming Alyx and other PC VR games to your PS VR2 nothing special? That's something new and exciting for anyone with a PSVR2 and PC but no other HMD.

Neofire

🤦🏿‍♂️ Instead of them announcing 1st party games coming to it they go and waste money on this lol. Bought this for my son he his choices are limited and Sony isn't helping the issue. Mark thos post, once they do the leg work and add support hackers and modders are going to go to work on it and bust it wide opem like a 40 dollar prostitute.

Neofire

Um, the part about giving access to additional PC games to PSVR2 players does imply it would be giving PSVR2 players access to additional PC VR games, such as perhaps HL Alyx and others.
Doesn't that require a capable PC?

The first damn sentence:
Sony Interactive Entertainment is currently testing PC support for its PlayStation VR2 headset with plans to launch in 2024
How do you see your "vision" become a reality? Where is the PS5 named in this?

- Stream PC titles to PS5 and put more strain on the system?
- Access a remote PC or cloud streaming service just for VR?
- Fire up Steam, login to your PS5, link accounts whatever?

No. The simple answer is you're wrong.
The simplest option is the obvious one. Make the headset compatible with pc. Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

“We’re pleased to share that we are currently testing the ability for PlayStation VR2 players to access additional games on PC to offer even more game variety in addition to the PlayStation VR2 titles available through PlayStation 5.
Let me break this one down:

- Testing the ability for PlayStation VR2 players to access additional games on PC
Additional games on pc. Not games available on pc. BIG difference.

So in your right mind you honestly think they would opt for a complicated multi ecosystem passthrough solution which shreds bandwidth and processing power on 2 devices?

Nah mate, it'll be a driver package, a piece of software and MAYBE a small breakout box to complement the CPU inside the PSVR2.

Modders have already got the PSVR2 to work-ish on pc with only the headset and their brains. Sony can do this without creating a streaming platform of some kind. Since VR is latency dependent, this shouldn't even be an option.
PSVR2 on Windows

If they are smart, they open up the headset for pc gaming and not the other way round.

It will increase sales dramatically if it becomes PC compatible.
Pc gamers care for quality hardware. That's what the PSVR2 is.
I don't think there is a big audience the other way round.

The already relatively small VR userbase on PS5 wont generate as much income for say, a VR subscription as the PC VR userbase will by buying the headset. ;)

It's all about the money.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I do think they're stretched thin, but I think your argument is disingenuous. Please show me how many 1st party hits Sony has released on PS1-4 in the same time. With or without the pandemic, Sony is actually rattling off more big games than they ever have before.

That’s impossible knowing development times are far longer than ever before. And PS2 wasn’t loaded with cross gen games, remasters, and timed exclusives. It was 100% new games.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Um, the part about giving access to additional PC games to PSVR2 players does imply it would be giving PSVR2 players access to additional PC VR games, such as perhaps HL Alyx and others.

It implies that if you also have a gaming PC - you’ll be able to use PSVR2 on it.

That’s impossible knowing development times are far longer than ever before. And PS2 wasn’t loaded with cross gen games, remasters, and timed exclusives. It was 100% new games.

Cross gen or not, they've produced more big titles in the first 4 years of the PS5 than they probably did the entire PS2 generation.

People pretend like Sony was cranking out AAA games during the PS2 generation.

They had GT3, GT4, God of War 1 and 2, and Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, and Sly Cooper. The rest of the games weren't really heavy hitters and I'm being generous adding Sly Cooper to the list.

Smart move by Sony. Even smarter if they make it really open, like you can use it with Steam, GOG etc. (not just with the upcoming Sony storefront on PC obvsly)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Cross gen or not, they've produced more big titles in the first 4 years of the PS5 than they probably did the entire PS2 generation.

People pretend like Sony was cranking out AAA games during the PS2 generation.

They had GT3, GT4, God of War 1 and 2, and Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, and Sly Cooper. The rest of the games weren't really heavy hitters and I'm being generous adding Sly Cooper to the list.

They were all heavy hitters for their time.

You’re trying to create rules on what’s allowed to count as a release, when my comment was about first party games period.

Most people would happily trade those “AAA” remasters for another Socom, Dark Cloud, or Ico.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Aaaand here I am ready to buy one when it will be compatible
Not only for games but also for 3D modeling
If you're not already in the ecosystem why would you buy a PSVR2 when there are already better PC alternatives.

Good decision by Sony btw. I guess they didn't have a choice by this point so-to-speak. Good for PSVR2 owners anyhow.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Well yeh, that goes without saying. Don't know if you'll also need the PS5 though, would make the whole thing pointless if that's the case.

That would be a braindead move.

My question is how many cables are needed? Quest 2 and 3 are one simple connection.

Reactions: GHG

Minsc

Gold Member
The first damn sentence:

How do you see your "vision" become a reality? Where is the PS5 named in this?

- Stream PC titles to PS5 and put more strain on the system?
- Access a remote PC or cloud streaming service just for VR?
- Fire up Steam, login to your PS5, link accounts whatever?

No. The simple answer is you're wrong.
The simplest option is the obvious one. Make the headset compatible with pc. Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

Let me break this one down:

Additional games on pc. Not games available on pc. BIG difference.

So in your right mind you honestly think they would opt for a complicated multi ecosystem passthrough solution which shreds bandwidth and processing power on 2 devices?

Nah mate, it'll be a driver package, a piece of software and MAYBE a small breakout box to complement the CPU inside the PSVR2.

Modders have already got the PSVR2 to work-ish on pc with only the headset and their brains. Sony can do this without creating a streaming platform of some kind. Since VR is latency dependent, this shouldn't even be an option.

If they are smart, they open up the headset for pc gaming and not the other way round.

It will increase sales dramatically if it becomes PC compatible.
Pc gamers care for quality hardware. That's what the PSVR2 is.
I don't think there is a big audience the other way round.

The already relatively small VR userbase on PS5 wont generate as much income for say, a VR subscription as the PC VR userbase will by buying the headset. ;)

It's all about the money.

I don't have any issues with latency on a Quest 3. But the wording is very non-specific, however I do agree the first quote about "testing PC support" is more in the direction you're pitching, however the rest of the quotes to me do make it sound like a streaming solution. "the ability for PlayStation VR2 players to access additional games on PC" really does sound like PSVR2 users having access to games not on PSVR2. So PC games. That means games not on the PS Store, aka PC VR games, aka HL Alyx etc.

Why would PS VR2 users care about a platform on PC that just enables them to play the same exact games that are on the PS Store on the PS5?

Romulus

Well yeh, that goes without saying. Don't know if you'll also need the PS5 though, would make the whole thing pointless if that's the case.

You would think so, but I've seen people saying you need both. Should just be a firmware update.

They were all heavy hitters for their time.

You’re trying to create rules on what’s allowed to count as a release, when my comment was about first party games period.

Most people would happily trade those “AAA” remasters for another Socom, Dark Cloud, or Ico.

Dark Cloud and ICO two games that didn't sell well... people weren't buying those games man.

Top Bottom