• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR2 to add PC support in 2024 (currently in testing)

StereoVsn

Naw, the advantage Quest has is everything you look at is crisp and clear across the entire FOV, edge to edge. And with no headset adjusting to find a sweet spot. Where the PSVR2 you lose 50% of your clarity or more as you approach the edges of the FOV, everything goes out of focus and blurry and light rays are gleaming, and if the headset jumps up or down everything will be out of focus, with its narrow sweet spot.
Oh, that sounds like a huge pain. And I also wonder how it works with glasses.

XXL

Naw, the advantage Quest has is everything you look at is crisp and clear across the entire FOV, edge to edge. And with no headset adjusting to find a sweet spot. Where the PSVR2 you lose 50% of your clarity or more as you approach the edges of the FOV, everything goes out of focus and blurry and light rays are gleaming, and if the headset jumps up or down everything will be out of focus, with its narrow sweet spot.
This is complete bullshit. My children can put the headset on in a few fucking seconds and that's while passing it around and adjusting the IPD dial.

The Quest is a great headset too, I own one. But if you can't put the PSVR 2 headset on properly, that's a you thing.

ZehDon

Gold Member
It's terrific to see PSVR2 going multi-platform! I suspect it's not selling super well being on just PS5 - not that Sony make much noise about it anyway - so fingers crossed this kicks off higher adoption: the more successful players in the VR space the better.

Tygeezy

This is almost certainly going to be a steam link app on the ps5. It's actually a great match because steam link has the ability do do eye tracked foveated encoding.

Crayon

This is complete bullshit. My children can put the headset on in a few fucking seconds and that's while passing it around and adjusting the IPD dial.

The Quest is a great headset too, I own one. But if you can't put the PSVR 2 headset on properly, that's a you thing.

I wouldn't say complete bs, but yes it's way overblown. For the first couple days I couldn't decide how exactly it should be sitting on my head but let's be real that's not exactly at the level people described it. Descriptions that started from many many people online who claimed to get theirs a day early and supposedly boxed them up for return within hours.

As for the lenses at the edges, this might be one of the last nice headsets with fresnel lenses. While there is distortion around the edges, you have to be looking very far with your eyes while purposefully not moving your head to start looking right at that. Pancake is better but that is part of the tradeoff for getting better color with oled. That will be a solved problem down the line, at least for affordable sets.

There were a million reviews for the thing from vr centric channels on the run up and I only remember one who scrutinized it to a level where they could comment on some flaws, and even then they said it was pretty good. That channel is actually one of the best because duder is very technically inclined. For most others, including vr-centric channels, these points were either unnoticed or not enough to comment on. Meanwhile, there was not a thread where you didn't hear a chorus of "quest ports"(GT,RE don't count, you see), "wired" (like most), "Blurry" (see above), etc.

I could go on! The online conversation was as frustrating and fake as for the ps5 itself.

XXL

I wouldn't say complete bs, but yes it's way overblown. For the first couple days I couldn't decide how exactly it should be sitting on my head but let's be real that's not exactly at the level people described it. Descriptions that started from many many people online who claimed to get theirs a day early and supposedly boxed them up for return within hours.

As for the lenses at the edges, this might be one of the last nice headsets with fresnel lenses. While there is distortion around the edges, you have to be looking very far with your eyes while purposefully not moving your head to start looking right at that. Pancake is better but that is part of the tradeoff for getting better color with oled. That will be a solved problem down the line, at least for affordable sets.

There were a million reviews for the thing from vr centric channels on the run up and I only remember one who scrutinized it to a level where they could comment on some flaws, and even then they said it was pretty good. That channel is actually one of the best because duder is very technically inclined. For most others, including vr-centric channels, these points were either unnoticed or not enough to comment on. Meanwhile, there was not a thread where you didn't hear a chorus of "quest ports"(GT,RE don't count, you see), "wired" (like most), "Blurry" (see above), etc.

I could go on! The online conversation was as frustrating and fake as for the ps5 itself.
I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Minsc

Gold Member

Sorry it's not. You can't even have text at the top and bottom of the headset be in focus at the same time. Your kids just don't care, yes you can put the headset on and use it, but if you want it to be dead perfect you need to go to the adjustment screen.

And again, if there's white text at the bottom of the screen it'll have a rainbow shadow effect depending on where you align the headset to your eyes, and if you push it so that lower text is in focus the text on the top edge will be blurry.

As soon as you start jumping around too much you need to push the headset back in place, and maybe you don't notice it, but it definitely is not clear at all compared to a Quest 3.

Kilau

Oh, that sounds like a huge pain. And I also wonder how it works with glasses.
It was ok with glasses, difficult to find and keep the sweet spot. I got prescription inserts and it changed everything for the better. Comfort and I don’t have to adjust anything now to keep it dialed in.

Fredrik

Too late for me. I would’ve bought it if it was there day 1, now I feel like Quest 3 is a better choice but I ain’t buying that either since the games library is still lackluster.

Don’t care about the headset now that quest 3 is out, bring the games baby

They can get way more games developed if developers can easily port those same games to PC and the work done to make existing PCVR games work with PSVR2 will mean those games can easily be ported to PS5.

It's a win win for everyone. It's a win for PlayStation gamers, PC gamers, and VR gamers.

If you're looking to make a VR game today, it makes sense now to build it for PS5 and PC. If Meta wants to pay you for the game, great, if not you still have avenues to sell it elsewhere.

fart town usa

Gold Member
What if it's really Steam VR coming to PS5.

That'd be so dope.

Happy for PC owners. More people playing VR is better for everyone.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
This is almost certainly going to be a steam link app on the ps5. It's actually a great match because steam link has the ability do do eye tracked foveated encoding.
Yep. Folks are going to need a PSVR2 and PS5 to play PC games. That’s quite an outlay.

Yep. Folks are going to need a PSVR2 and PS5 to play PC games. That’s quite an outlay.
I have no idea how several people in here come up with that idea, that you would need a PS5 to play on PC. That sounds like utter BS. What would be the actual purpose of the PC if a PS5 is still needed? How tf would native PC games suddenly run on a still not Windows supporting PS5 if that is supposed to be somehow involved in the whole image creation? Just as translation device for the output, adding lag? Why would a PC not be able to do all by itself? A PC can certainly create the necessary USB+HDMI/Displayport output to have a VR2 plugged into it. That's the whole point of current USB, to have the speed and bandwidth to provide also dispaly signals and not just data. The PC just needs to offer the required speeds. Many PCs probably won't have USB-C so USB3-SS10 or whatever it is, that mainboards offer and Sony needs for VR2, will need to get an adapter for the C format and Sony just needs to make the drivers and firmware compatible with current PC-VR tech. Edit: PS5s have 3 SuperSpeed (10) and one Hi-speed connections and it seems they demand to use the one in the front. I guess VR2 will just refuse for no actual reason to work with those in the back when you add an C to A adapter but the speed is the core feature that defines its functionality and that I suppose just needs a firmware unlock to work on any PC that has fast enough ports. /e
Still not having a VR1 compatibility layer is imho stupid, but requiring a PS5 for PC would be utterly insane.

Last edited:

Jesb

Good news for both PS and PC users. If GeForcenow eventually gets VR support that would be another great thing to further support VR.

Rudius

That was the determining factor? Quest 3 is the better PC VR headset (and better VR headset in general). With this news, we can almost assume that PSVR2 exclusives are coming to the PC.
If PSVR2 use a direct connection with an adapter, not streaming, it will look and perform better on PC than Quest 3.

If Sony doesn't include support for Steam VR then they are officially the dumbest company of the year, I've been wanting to upgrade my headset and this would be a strong contender if it supports it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I have no idea how several people in here come up with that idea, that you would need a PS5 to play on PC. That sounds like utter BS. What would be the actual purpose of the PC if a PS5 is still needed? How tf would native PC games suddenly run on a still not Windows supporting PS5 if that is supposed to be somehow involved in the whole image creation? Just as translation device for the output, adding lag? Why would a PC not be able to do all by itself? A PC can certainly create the necessary USB+HDMI/Displayport output to have a VR2 plugged into it. That's the whole point of current USB, to have the speed and bandwidth to provide also dispaly signals and not just data. The PC just needs to offer the required speeds. Many PCs probably won't have USB-C so USB3-SS10 or whatever it is, that mainboards offer and Sony needs for VR2, will need to get an adapter for the C format and Sony just needs to make the drivers and firmware compatible with current PC-VR tech. Edit: PS5s have 3 SuperSpeed (10) and one Hi-speed connections and it seems they demand to use the one in the front. I guess VR2 will just refuse for no actual reason to work with those in the back when you add an C to A adapter but the speed is the core feature that defines its functionality and that I suppose just needs a firmware unlock to work on any PC that has fast enough ports. /e
Still not having a VR1 compatibility layer is imho stupid, but requiring a PS5 for PC would be utterly insane.
How is the PC going to power the headset?

Minsc

Gold Member
same way they worked around it with rift or rift s when they had dual usb plugs to suck power from 2 b ports for machines without usb c.
The headset needs 12V for powering - almost all PCs/laptops cannot output 12V, they go from 9V to 15V.

So powering it will def be an issue.

It could be direct connection, I'm not saying it's not anymore, but even if it is essentially just Steam Link running on the PS5 - you'd still have near 0 latency. A wired PC > wired PS5 > PSVR2 is a complete wired loop, there'd be no lag, at all.

If PSVR2 use a direct connection with an adapter, not streaming, it will look and perform better on PC than Quest 3.
100% not true - it will be situational as it is now on the PS5.

Synth Riders for instance looks better on the Quest 3 running natively (or off a PC) than it does on the PSVR2 through the PS5 with a direct video output.

This is because the PSVR2 has horrible motion clarity due to the persistence, so moving objects like in Synth Riders look much more detailed on the Quest 3.

I was actually taken back the first time I played Synth Riders on Quest 3 - you can see so much better all the effects and spinning animations on the track on the Quest 3 headset than on the PSVR2.

In order for the PSVR2 to push those HDR bright levels through the frensel lens they sacrifice persistence and images retain ghosting under motion. I can notice it in a few games pretty badly, even without comparing them to another headset like this.

Last edited:

Rudius

The headset needs 12V for powering - almost all PCs/laptops cannot output 12V, they go from 9V to 15V.

So powering it will def be an issue.

It could be direct connection, I'm not saying it's not anymore, but even if it is essentially just Steam Link running on the PS5 - you'd still have near 0 latency. A wired PC > wired PS5 > PSVR2 is a complete wired loop, there'd be no lag, at all.

100% not true - it will be situational as it is now on the PS5.

Synth Riders for instance looks better on the Quest 3 running natively (or off a PC) than it does on the PSVR2 through the PS5 with a direct video output.

This is because the PSVR2 has horrible motion clarity due to the persistence, so moving objects like in Synth Riders look much more detailed on the Quest 3.

I was actually taken back the first time I played Synth Riders on Quest 3 - you can see so much better all the effects and spinning animations on the track on the Quest 3 headset than on the PSVR2.

In order for the PSVR2 to push those HDR bright levels through the frensel lens they sacrifice persistence and images retain ghosting under motion. I can notice it in a few games pretty badly, even without comparing them to another headset like this.
Quest 3 is 85 nits at peak brightness, PSVR2 is 265. At 25% brightness PSVR2 outputs 100 nits, so you can just do that to decrease persistence.

As for the image quality, Quest 3 uses compression when streaming from PC. If PSVR2 use a direct connection, even with an adapter, it will not need compression, leading to no artifacts, no color banding, no lag and no fluctuations in signal.

Minsc

Gold Member
Quest 3 is 85 nits at peak brightness, PSVR2 is 265. At 25% brightness PSVR2 outputs 100 nits, so you can just do that to decrease persistence.

As for the image quality, Quest 3 uses compression when streaming from PC. If PSVR2 use a direct connection, even with an adapter, it will not need compression, leading to no artifacts, no color banding, no lag and no fluctuations in signal.

Still doesn't do great motion clarity if you need to decrease the brightness to below the Quest 3. And below 50% the device is not usable IMO you can't see shit.

And the PSVR2 has horrible mura in certain lighting - darker gray settings. Like fucking awful, you can't see shit. I've seen this rear its head in Kayak in a night scene and some other games to a lesser extent, but people def don't like it.

Also the edge clarity vs the Quest 3 is day and night worse on the PSVR2.

But yes the colors are more vibrant and the blacks are pitch black if that's what you mostly care about, and the clarity, mura and image persistence doesn't bother you.

I personally have not experienced any issues in color banding, lag or framerate fluctuations running over Virtual Desktop wirelessly myself, even during intense full screen movement with particles flying everywhere. But that's definitely a YMMV situation. Although the PC > PS5 > PSVR2 through a network would remain 100% lag free since it's all wired.

Last edited:

cyberheater

same way they worked around it with rift or rift s when they had dual usb plugs to suck power from 2 b ports for machines without usb c.
Nope. PSVR2 requires 12v at 2.5A. Your not getting that from 2 PC usb ports.

Minsc

Gold Member
Nope. PSVR2 requires 12v at 2.5A. Your not getting that from 2 PC usb ports.

The Apple Vision Pro is the same way - I guess that's why they gave it a special new wider lightning connection to the battery pack when they could have used a standard USB-C port if not for that. It also needs a 12V source, which most USB-C ports don't provide, so it would have created a lot of confusion if it used standard USB-C and no one could plug it into anything and have it power up.

So instead the battery pack it comes with outputs 12V and accepts the various inputs that people's laptops can output.

Last edited:

cyberheater

The Apple Vision Pro is the same way - I guess that's why they gave it a special new wider lightning connection to the battery pack when they could have used a standard USB-C port if not for that. It also needs a 12V source, which most USB-C ports don't provide, so it would have created a lot of confusion if it used standard USB-C and no one could plug it into anything and have it power up.

So instead the battery pack it comes with outputs 12V and accepts the various inputs that people's laptops can output.
Yep. I know people don't like the reality but it’s going to need a PS5 And some sort of Steamlink running on the PS5.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yep. I know people don't like the reality but it’s going to need a PS5 And some sort of Steamlink running on the PS5.

It would be the simplest way, but we'll see... maybe they will just release some sort of adapter to connect to a PC, and also connects to a wall for power, who knows. It's all very strange. At that point why wouldn't they just say it works it all PC VR games? Because it would. Not just "additional." Who knows.

Last edited:

cyberheater

It would be the simplest way, but we'll see... maybe they will just release some sort of adapter to connect to a PC, and also connects to a wall for power, who knows. It's all very strange. At that point why wouldn't they just say it works it all PC VR games? Because it would. Not just "additional." Who knows.
I can’t imagine that Sony would spend time and money developing a dongle for this and the ensuing support issues it would create when it’s far simpler to use the PS5 hardware they already have to stream PCVR games to the headset.

Resenge

How is the PC going to power the headset?
A link box like the OG PSVR?

EpPMDbmnBlUnX6Cn.huge

Or the Vive?

htcvive_large_21.jpg

This is what I assumed when it was first revealed, but the more I think about it the more I believe a streaming option on the PS5 through Firmware is the route Sony is going to take.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't think you will need a PS5. It will work like a wired PCVR headset, needing only an adapter, but we shall see.

Could be, but the Quest 3 is a normal PC VR headset and needs no adapter or wire. Going forward I doubt "normal" PCVR headsets will be wired much more. Much like the AVP isn't wired to a PC/laptop.

There's a big advantage at least for Sony going streaming - everyone using it on PC VR will need to buy a PS5 and then they'd have a route open to them to purchase additional PS5 games on their PS5. More money for Sony.

If they offer a direct connection, they see no money from software sales, and people who buy the PSVR2 are very likely never going to buy a PS5, so it's really less money for Sony in terms of future software sales.

Minsc

Gold Member
And fuck Facebook/mEtA.

I'd rather deal with their support any day of the week over Sony's. Ever try to have a purchase refunded on PSN? Good luck. Meta will refund every single game you purchase just like Steam.

Sony is one of the least customer friendly companies there is, right next to Nintendo.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Smart move -- I still think Quest is the clear winner on overall features, but this makes PSVR a fully reasonable option if you happen to care more about their selling points (OLED, eye tracking, etc) than the Quest advantages (AR features, in-headset games, wireless, big open source hacking community, etc).

The biggest one for me is the ability to load homebrew games & ports directly onto the Quest. Lately, that's the main VR that I tend to play: classic ports running entirely in the Q3 headset, with no tethering, no need to boot up PC, etc. I'm currently playing some boomer shooters (Duke3D and its contemporaries on that engine, perfectly converted), some more VIrtual Boy oddities I originally missed, Prey VR, and Jedi Knight... and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'd rather deal with their support any day of the week over Sony's.
I'd rather not support that company at all with my money. To each their own.

Ever try to have a purchase refunded on PSN? Good luck. Meta will refund every single game you purchase just like Steam.

Sony is one of the least customer friendly companies there is, right next to Nintendo.
Never tried, nor cared to. Ever. Not even once. I'm conscious with my purchasing decisions.

Last edited:

Rudius

Could be, but the Quest 3 is a normal PC VR headset and needs no adapter or wire. Going forward I doubt "normal" PCVR headsets will be wired much more. Much like the AVP isn't wired to a PC/laptop.

There's a big advantage at least for Sony going streaming - everyone using it on PC VR will need to buy a PS5 and then they'd have a route open to them to purchase additional PS5 games on their PS5. More money for Sony.

If they offer a direct connection, they see no money from software sales, and people who buy the PSVR2 are very likely never going to buy a PS5, so it's really less money for Sony in terms of future software sales.
If it is streaming from the PS5 I hope it doesn't use too much electricity while doing that. It would be very wasteful if so, given that the PC would be doing all the heavy lifting and the PS5 acting just as a giant adapter for PSVR2.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'd rather not support that company at all with my money. To each their own.

Never tried, nor cared to. Ever. Not even once. I'm conscious with my purchasing decisions.

Do you not use Instagram either? That's meta too isn't it? I guess there's no money going out directly with that lol.

Also AFAIK Meta is selling the Quest 3 at a loss, so technically you'd be taking away money from them, not supporting them, if you bought it and never used it for any thing but PC VR.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Do you not use Instagram either? That's meta too isn't it? I guess there's no money going out directly with that lol.
Use it for business marketing, yes. Do I ever give them money? No.

Personal account? Never made one and never will.

Bry0

I can’t imagine that Sony would spend time and money developing a dongle for this and the ensuing support issues it would create when it’s far simpler to use the PS5 hardware they already have to stream PCVR games to the headset.
Considering the index works using a wall wart and usb/displayport connections, it wouldn’t really be all that crazy since hardware is kind of Sonys forte. I think you are probably right it is most likely steam link for ps5 or something though. Like you say I think the problem is more one of investment on Sonys part, not really any technical roadblock.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

If it is streaming from the PS5 I hope it doesn't use too much electricity while doing that. It would be very wasteful if so, given that the PC would be doing all the heavy lifting and the PS5 acting just as a giant adapter for PSVR2.
It wouldn't be acting as an adapter. It would be doing decoder work for the stream, powering the headset and sending inputs to the pc.

Top Bottom