• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR2 to add PC support in 2024 (currently in testing)

Crayon

I was lukewarm on this idea before they announced the price, which was $50 more than the absolute maximum I thought they could get away with. Basically, I thought it would be subsidized but at $550 I have a hard time believing that.

So bring it on. And get me that Linux driver like they did early for the dualsense. I want vr mods more than most actual VR releases.

Leonidas

Finally. Glad the support is coming, only took them 1-year to announce it :messenger_sun:

PSVR2 will be my first VR headset, can't wait to use it for Half-Life Alyx on my PC and other Steam VR titles.

Aaaand here I am ready to buy one when it will be compatible
Not only for games but also for 3D modeling
Oh wow, I forgot about that. They actually do have a separate headset in production for 3D modeling, but I'm sure it will cost more than the Psvr2. Many of us predicted that Sony would need to port their VR headset to increase support and give the headset more versatility. Outside of being wired, it has the tech and features to compete with pc headsets at a competitive price.

Minsc

Gold Member
Aaaand here I am ready to buy one when it will be compatible
Not only for games but also for 3D modeling

Using the headset for anything outside gaming that requires reading/focus is a terrible experience. Even movie watching sucks.

The frensel lens and mura issues and all the other visual issues in the headset make it really unappealing vs the competition.

Last edited:
Oh wow, I forgot about that. They actually do have a separate headset in production for 3D modeling, but I'm sure it will cost more than the Psvr2. Many of us predicted that Sony would need to port their VR headset to increase support and give the headset more versatility. Outside of being wired, it has the tech and features to compete with pc headsets at a competitive price.

Initially I said I didn't think they would release a wireless PSVR2, but we'll have to see if they really wait until PSVR3. Now that they're going as far as to add PC support, they might release a wireless model to boot. The market dynamics are just completely different now.

Dorago

They're getting closer.

I need goggles that aren't $1000 and don't require the sensing towers

AND

A library of a few good games with the promise of more to come.

Quest 3 might do it for the goggles, but I still don't see the games besides HL Alex and the hacked ports of Minecraft.

Minsc

Gold Member
The other reason I'm skeptical to believe this is a plug in to your PC solution is because that actively reduces the audience on the PS5 store and works against Sony IMO. If people start buying the PS VR2 for the purpose of using it on PC VR gaming only, that's going to mess with the install base of the device for prospective software releases.

As more and more PC VR users sign up with a PS VR2 headset, the bigger the PC VR market gets, and the smaller the PS5/PS Store one becomes. But who knows anymore. It would be nice, but doesn't make sense for them to just update the firmware to magically work with all PCs.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The other reason I'm skeptical to believe this is a plug in to your PC solution is because that actively reduces the audience on the PS5 store and works against Sony IMO. If people start buying the PS VR2 for the purpose of using it on PC VR gaming only, that's going to mess with the install base of the device for prospective software releases.

As more and more PC VR users sign up with a PS VR2 headset, the bigger the PC VR market gets, and the smaller the PS5/PS Store one becomes. But who knows anymore. It would be nice, but doesn't make sense for them to just update the firmware to magically work with all PCs.
Sony probably realized putting VR behind a console ecosystem really limits sales. PSVR only sold about 5M units across 100+M PS4 systems.

And PSVR2 sales are surely junk since they havent talked about sales since launch.

VR is something the PC crowd is much more interested in than console gamers. There were articles last month estimating PC VR sets outsold PSVR2 30:1 during Xmas.

I doubt it would mess with the PlayStation user base at all. They have a product that is not really selling as it is now, and they have opened up more towards PC. This is simply a way for them to make more money and sell more PSVR2s.

Personally I think this is a good move. I would totally buy a PSVR2 if I could use it on my PS5 and my PC, but it's a harder sell when I can't play games from more then one storefront.

MarkMe2525

To anyone with lots of VR knowledge, should I sell my Index for a PSVR2?
While displaying a lower resolution, the index provides the most accurate and responsive tracking, due to its lighthouse setup. The index also provides advantages in the vertical fov which is underappreciated.

The Quest 3 is a fantastic all around PC headset with its edge to edge clarity and wide horizontal fov. You can also achieve great results in wireless tethering with a dedicated Wifi 6e router. The ability to utilize the headset away from the PC may also be underappreciated by VR users that have only used VR with a PC. After a bumpy start, a few updates have made the controller tracking exceptional, for an inside out solution. Though, the Index still wins in this area. Black levels are not great.

Through ignorance, I cannot give you a comparison of the controller tracking for the Q3 and PSVR2, but I have not heard many complaints about the PSVR2 controller, other than short battery life. As I stated earlier, the Index is best in this area. If someone figures out how to allow PC games to tap into the headset and controller haptics, this would be a big win and a differentiator for the PSVR2. Same holds true for the eye tracking. While I wouldn't expect any eye tracking navigation capabilities, it could possibly be used to optimize the video stream from the PC. Lastly, the pros and cons of the OLED screens are well known, I believe the benefits of color reproduction and fantastic black levels outweigh the issues with image persistence and mura.

Now in saying all that, if I had an Index, and was not interested in the standalone features of the Q3, I would stick with the Index. Every headset has their own compromises, and one doesn't stand head and shoulders above the others.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

How is the image quality, resolution and FOV on PSVR2 as compared to Oculus 3?

Foveated rendering is great but I doubt many PC devs will support that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I doubt it would mess with the PlayStation user base at all. They have a product that is not really selling as it is now, and they have opened up more towards PC. This is simply a way for them to make more money and sell more PSVR2s.

Personally I think this is a good move. I would totally buy a PSVR2 if I could use it on my PS5 and my PC, but it's a harder sell when I can't play games from more then one storefront.
PSVR2 is also sold for a profit for Sony. There is no way they are selling them for breakeven or a loss like a typical console MS or Sony sells.

So even if Sony doesn't release first party VR games on PC, and every PC gamer just stays on PC, Sony will make profit at ??? Units x ??? profit per unit.

Lets say for sake of argument Sony makes $50 profit per unit sold (I made up a number). If Sony sells 1M PSVR2 for PC gamer, they just made $50M profit. Sony probably makes mor than that per unit. I dont see Sony releasing VR sets only to breakeven on it. They probably make $100 per unit. And selling 1M isnt impossible at all. If you google it, VR sets have sold over 10M units per year for many years in a row and almost of that are PC goggles. So PSVR2 grabbing 1M of that per year on PC seems doable IMO.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Good news, because otherwise the headset is not having enough support from Sony.

I rarely regret buying something but PSVR2 was not a good buy.

It's a good thing for everyone. Makes VR far more legitimate. Someone is more willing to invest in VR economy if the game is supported on PS5 and PC. Getting your return is going to be way easier.

Sony sees Meta having success with their own storefront because it isn't tied to a console. Sony can replicate that but can go further, but only if the economies make sense.

Sony probably realized putting VR behind a console ecosystem really limits sales. PSVR only sold about 5M units across 100+M PS4 systems.

And PSVR2 sales are surely junk since they havent talked about sales since launch.

VR is something the PC crowd is much more interested in than console gamers. There were articles last month estimating PC VR sets outsold PSVR2 30:1 during Xmas.

That's exactly right, but by opening things up support will trickle back to console as well. You might as well port the game to PSVR2 on PS5.

More to it, anyone who buys a PSVR2 on PC is FAR more likely to eventually buy a PS5.

R6Rider

Gold Member
How is the image quality, resolution and FOV on PSVR2 as compared to Oculus 3?

Foveated rendering is great but I doubt many PC devs will support that.
Resolution per eye is slightly higher on the Quest 3, but due to the lens type, it will be even clearer.

Both headsets have an FOV of 110. The PSVR2 has OLED and HDR, while the Quest 3 doesn't.

Controllers are subjective, but the Sense controllers for the PSVR2 are the best I've ever used. Adaptive triggers and haptics are simply amazing in VR.

Last edited:

More PS games to release on PC.

Neofire

It's still technically behind another wall. PCVR games don't just run on any PC and that's not taking into account getting games to run correctly. Normally it would be cool to have a peripheral get added system support but Sony is leaving its own platform on the back burner when it needs 1st party games itself only to focus on adding support to the PC.

Then again the CFO did say they are "aggressively" seeking other avenues. 🤷🏿‍♂️

Techies

Whatever they do is going to require an additional adapter purchase.

It won't replace my Quest3, but the hdr/eye tracking would be nice in some titles. Like I'm playing crash4 atm, some of those levels are vibrant.

Neofire

Bingo, this guy gets it. I agree with yoir theory too. It's like Sony is indirectly saying "making psvr2 games on the ps5 are too expensive just give it PC support and call it a day"

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

Finally!

I want to use PS VR 2 on both PC and PS5 since there're a lots of good exclusives on PS5. GT7, Re4,...

FrankWza

That's a really good point. I just assumed it would plug in without the need for a PS5.

Nonehxc

What exactly is the selling point of this game? I see people keep talking about it. I check the youtube videos and it's not anything I'd go crazy for.
Probably the only true true VR AAA out there. Graphics are top notch, sound is AMAZING, so are mechanics, controls and design. There are many very good VR games out there, but for inmersion, Alyx has been the only true 'Holy fucking shit I'm really there', played through an Index, I mean, those near ear headphones the Index has are a fucking big win for inmersion. You think they're gonna sound bad or low because they're not sandwiching your head or plugging your hearhole, and then a Walker walks into a bar and... 🫣🫣🫣

Puscifer

It's not like Sony is doing the headset any favors as it stands with the software available and screwing over Intel investors with no BC. This is them trying to get their investment back after having it bomb so hard.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm super curious now to see the next bit of news develop on this giving us the definitive answer on how it interfaces with PCs. I'm probably just like those people who refused to believe GT7 was the full, full game in VR and being dumb here, but we'll see! Maybe Sony is just doing this out of the goodness of their heart and not looking to keep everyone still tethered to the PS5 / their marketplace.

Resolution per eye is slightly higher on the Quest 3, but due to the lens type, it will be even clearer.

Both headsets have an FOV of 110. The PSVR2 has OLED and HDR, while the Quest 3 doesn't.

Controllers are subjective, but the Sense controllers for the PSVR2 are the best I've ever used. Adaptive triggers and haptics are simply amazing in VR.

I still think the PS VR2 is a better gaming headset than the Quest 3 due to a lot of what you said. The controllers and the OLED+HDR and the blacks from the OLED and better face gasket for blocking light.

I actually would argue the eye tracking and other features offer a lot of value too. But the lack of wireless and the improvement in clarity on the Quest 3 matter more than you're letting on IMO. The difference is massive when you step outside VR games.

Hopefully a Quest 4 or Quest Pro 2 addresses most of the Quest 3's disadvantages here and we'd have the nearly perfect device then.

Techies

One thing I'm really curious about after spending significant time with virtual desktop and UEVR and owning both Quest3 and PSVR2.

120hz 60fps on PSVR2 is god awful. So much ghosting.

Meanwhile on PC on my Quest3, 120hz 60fps using vdxr and ssw feels butterly smooth, amazing.

Wonder if it would be possible to use that solution with PSVR2, that combined with eye tracking would mean you'd only need to hit 60 fps to get amazing quality image/smooth gameplay.

Last edited:
Very interested to see how HDR and foveated rendering will work on PC. It could finally be my desired upgrade path from an Index if that's the case (would still use the Index controllers as they're superior to everything out there thanks to lighthouses.)

Crayon

Probably the only true true VR AAA out there. Graphics are top notch, sound is AMAZING, so are mechanics, controls and design. There are many very good VR games out there, but for inmersion, Alyx has been the only true 'Holy fucking shit I'm really there', played through an Index, I mean, those near ear headphones the Index has are a fucking big win for inmersion. You think they're gonna sound bad or low because they're not sandwiching your head or plugging your hearhole, and then a Walker walks into a bar and... 🫣🫣🫣

I still haven't tried alyx. I've been meaning to borrow my friend's index for like 3 years.

So my holy shit game is GT7. Me and that same guy jump online, both put on out headsets, and damn is it amazing. It's kind of hard to call it a vr social space, but it feels a little like that. Feels like we are really rich boys with fast toys lol.

StereoVsn

Interesting. If PC support is good, I will be seriously tempted. Having GT7 VR option on PS5 doesn’t hurt either.

The one advantage Quest has is of course wireless , but still, good to have options.

Minsc

Gold Member
Interesting. If PC support is good, I will be seriously tempted. Having GT7 VR option on PS5 doesn’t hurt either.

The one advantage Quest has is of course wireless , but still, good to have options.

Naw, the advantage Quest has is everything you look at is crisp and clear across the entire FOV, edge to edge. And with no headset adjusting to find a sweet spot. Where the PSVR2 you lose 50% of your clarity or more as you approach the edges of the FOV, everything goes out of focus and blurry and light rays are gleaming, and if the headset jumps up or down everything will be out of focus, with its narrow sweet spot.

MarkMe2525

FOV varies from person to person depending on faceshape, this effects how close one can get their face to lenses with the different facial interfaces. My point is YMMV on each headset regarding FOV. One can mitigate this with thinner facial interfaces.

With my limitied experience with PSVR2, I would say it's more comfortable than Q3 out of the box, again this can mitigated with a different headstrap (I had to get one). The one downside to the PSVR2 halo strap is that it is less stable than the Q3, and one can move with more vigor in the Q3 without having to readjust back to the sweetspot. Q3's pancake lenses help even more with this. Just like the Q3, you can buy a 3rd party headstrap for the PSVR2 to mitigate the instability (I recommend the Globular Cluster headstrap).

I hope Sony releases a SDK for pc devs, which would allow them to take advantage of its haptics in the headset and eye tracking. If not, hopefully they can be hacked in.

sendit

And there we have it, we have now ensured that I'm going to buy it. Great decision here by Sony, can't wait.

That was the determining factor? Quest 3 is the better PC VR headset (and better VR headset in general). With this news, we can almost assume that PSVR2 exclusives are coming to the PC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom