• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 games list & SPE usages

SamBa said:
Later multi-plaform PS3 and PC games will probably take good leaps technically once the 360 will be discontinued.

:lol

The other posts are delusional but this is the one that finally made me laugh.

SamBa

Banned
Lince said:
well to be honest there are some minor draw-in and LOD issues but Naughty Dog worked hard to make them almost invisible to the untrained eye.

With "no real pop-in issues" I actually meant there are no major (or even significant or noteworthy) pop-in problems like for example Gears of War, Mass Effect or other 360 exclusives, this despite the much better quality and far more diversity than seen in any other 360 game of this sort.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
SamBa said:
With "no real pop-in issues" I actually meant there are no major (or even significant or noteworthy) pop-in problems like for example Gears of War, Mass Effect or other 360 exclusives, this despite the much better quality and far more diversity than seen in any other 360 game of this sort.
You're really begging for it, aren't you? :p

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
First MikeB Samba post is the best one :

Lovely thread. Missed this one. Full PS3 power...

Missed this one i assume means "i missed this thread whilst waiting for my new account to get auth'ed"

SamBa

Banned
SamBa said:

Also a good clarifying comment from an interview:

"With the first Uncharted, we were only able to keep them from being idle, about 1/3 of the time. So when we started production on Uncharted 2, our programmers dove in and started moving more and more of our systems onto the SPU’s and by the end of the project we were able to hit 100% usage. So all that means is that there is no idle time, but it does not mean that we can’t be more optimized with what we’re doing. We feel very confident that we will find ways to continue to squeeze additional performance out of the PS3 on future projects."

http://www.examiner.com/x-12218-Pro...-and-Jak-and-Daxter-PS3-in-exclusive-iterview

So this highlights that using near 100% of the SPU processing time can be achieved, unlike what was claimed by some in the past, even this early within the PS3 lifecycle.

In earlier tech documents developers also advised not to optimise too much too early, as there was plenty of spare CPU time and they highlighted there is enormous potential for optimisation. So sequels to games like Killzone 2 can be expected to generate significant technical gains as the game still had a lot of spare processing time.

Also remember scientific tests have shown the Cell to be much more efficient than other processors, unlike with other CPU setups it's actually possible to achieve near full efficiency from the Cell (~218 GFlops from the PS3 Cell, but like with other systems some of the available cycles will be used for the OS and other simultaneously running background stuff, in the case of the Cell some of the PPU time and 1 OS dedicated SPU).

SamBa

Banned
Comment regarding Heavy Rain:

Speaking during his Developer Session at today’s Eurogamer Expo in London, Cage was responding to a question from one of the attendees following a demonstration of the game. After a bit of a pause and an audible sigh, Cage said, “Whatever I answer, my answer will be suspicious… Honestly, I don’t think so. I think it had to be on PlayStation 3 for two main reasons: the hardware, the architecture of the PS3 is extremely powerful in the way it is structured. If you make a real PS3 engine, then you can have really fantastic performances. If you try to port from another platform, then it becomes difficult.”

http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2009/10/31/ps3-by-far-the-best-platform-for-heavy-rain/

ymmv

Banned
Treo360 said:
See that Mikeb is making up for lost time. Shit I think Hans/Privatehoffman has even graced bump too.

Welcome back, Mike/Sam. I always liked your postings even though you sometimes go over the edge in your zealotry.

SamBa

Banned
SamBa said:

Speaking during his Developer Session at today’s Eurogamer Expo in London, Cage was responding to a question from one of the attendees following a demonstration of the game. After a bit of a pause and an audible sigh, Cage said, “Whatever I answer, my answer will be suspicious… Honestly, I don’t think so. I think it had to be on PlayStation 3 for two main reasons: the hardware, the architecture of the PS3 is extremely powerful in the way it is structured. If you make a real PS3 engine, then you can have really fantastic performances. If you try to port from another platform, then it becomes difficult.”

http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2009/10/31/ps3-by-far-the-best-platform-for-heavy-rain/

Earlier comment:

“You need to keep in mind that Heavy Rain is our first title on PS3. It’s not the second or third generation of games on the same platform. We’ve just discovered the platform right now,” he told VideoGamer, when asked if Heavy Rain was utilizing all of the PlayStation 3’s processing power. “So yeah, there’s plenty of room for improvement I’m sure.

“At Quantic Dream we know we can do much better than what we do here.”

http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/20...evelopers-see-plenty-of-room-for-improvement/

So like Naughty Dog and other top developers they note they have a lot of oppertunities to go much further technically in due time.

I think multi-platform developers (especially those designing their own tech) should now really start to look ahead towards the future. When the market changes significantly in the upcoming years they will otherwise have a mammoth task to update their engines to take advantage of the Cell and Blu-Ray/HD streaming, this to not look too incompetent.

sits

SamBa said:

savetheps3jpg1.jpeg

Someone please add Heavy Rain.

Edit: arguably "Price Cut" did the trick.

SamBa

Banned
sits said:

Well the thread starter anticipated the following before the PS3 launch in Europe:

2005: "It will probably take some time before developers manage to get the most out of this platform, as has for example also been the case with the classic Amiga chipsets. The early Amiga games don't compare well to the complex graphics used by for instance game like Elfmania or Lion Heart."

2006: "somewhere in 2009 I think HD DVD will have lost the format war and the Slimline PS3 really starts to take off."

Early 2007: "I expect the PS3 to continue to perform roughly on par with XBox 360 sales from the year before, until Killzone 2, Gran Turismo 5, Final Fantasy XIII and Metal Gear Solid 4 are all on the market (when that will be exactly may not even be known to the developers themselves."

Sounds pretty level-headed to me, maybe you should look in the mirror.

The PS3 needs no "saving" at this point, it sold millions more units than the 360 taking equal timeframes (despite Microsoft helping kill PC gaming by not releasing many of their published games on the PC, or much delayed) and it's also widening the gap currently with the slim that was anticipated to arrive years before in 2009.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
ymmv said:
Welcome back, Mike/Sam. I always liked your postings even though you sometimes go over the edge in your zealotry.

Seriously! welcome back MikeB/SamB! this thread was good as dead without you.

nib95

Banned
We need a detailed Uncharted 2 breakdown ASAP! Would love to see the magic this game is working. It truly left me breathless on a technical/graphical level.

SamBa

Banned
szaromir said:
Don't describe your own actions in 3rd person.

I prefer to keep in the middle my relationship to MikeB, some moderators are quite extreme and biased around here, MikeB got banned for preferring the PSN over XBox Live (free online gamig for everyone, dedicated servers together with awesome exclusive PSN games like Warhawk, no really liking XNE [like most NeoGaf members it seems], etc.)

SamBa said:
I hope there will be as many resources dedicated to the project as a GTA game.

Well since it's exclusive, I don't think it can afford the same budget as GTA4. But I think Hauser/Rockstar have said a couple times in the context of making GTA4, that they'd like to make a game to specifically exploit the PS3. I think Agent is their next baby.

Rockstar isn't really a powerhouse graphics developer. Agent's not going to compete with Uncharted 2, but if they write a new engine with what they learned from working on GTA4, there should be plenty of room for improvement.
I thought GTA4 looked good, despite some roughness, but the framerate needed work.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
sits said:
savetheps3jpg1.jpeg

At least post the updated one.

Doubledex said:
So you're trying to derail this thread with this shitty pic above there?
Do you feel hurt? No sense of humor at all?

nib95

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
You've got to have a weird sense of humor to find that even the slightest bit funny.

I think it's called troll humour. Quite how that pic has any relevance to PS3 SPE usage is also beyond me...

SamBa

Banned
ymmv said:

In what way zealotry though?

MikeB stated things like thinking the PS3 provides higher quality movie playback options (a fact), MikeB criticized Microsoft for denying RRoD issues (now acknowledged to investors by Microsoft after pending legal action), he stated the PS3 is outselling the 360 taking equal timeframes (by September 2009 the PS3 sold over 27 million units, the XBox 360 only reached 25 million by November 28 2008, black friday, this despite an extra holiday season in PAL regions for the 360 and lower entry pricing), etc.

He got slammed by zealots for such statements, but in hindsight was MikeB wrong for stating such comments and opinions?

Personally I think with the cheaper slim, better advertising and games like Uncharted 2, many people can now better handle such comments and opinions. But that has to do with themselves and not MikeB.

Darkpen

Banned
chandoog said:
The Digital Foundry comparison from way back in march also mentions things like low frame rates, some missing special effects, the 360 version having 4x AA compared to the PS3's 2x and other things.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/face-off-resident-evil-5-article
I read the entire thing, and I saw no mention of a texture differences. Also just saying 2x right after saying 4x is not sufficient. He was right when he said Quincunx to begin with :/

PS3 version has some weird problems and shortcomings, but textures on characters is not one of the issues.

SamBa

Banned
Darkpen said:
I read the entire thing, and I saw no mention of a texture differences. Also just saying 2x right after saying 4x is not sufficient. He was right when he said Quincunx to begin with :/

PS3 version has some weird problems and shortcomings, but textures on characters is not one of the issues.

I have Resident Evil 5 on the PS3, although the game isn't of Uncharted 2 quality by far (gameplay wise, Uncharted is far more flexible, fluid, less bulky with regard to movement/shooting options and abilities, Uncharted also has much better graphics and story telling), the game runs just fine on the PS3. Most probably won't notice significant differences while playing.

I will play the game again with the motion controller version, that could make much more of a difference than the minor micro differences you are referring to.

shinshero

Jocchan said:
At least post the updated one.

Do you feel hurt? No sense of humor at all?

But its not really relevant to thread, and it detracts from the actual discussion. Not to mention, he just posted the pic out of nowhere.

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to seeing Killzone 3. Hopefully Guerilla will be able to optimise the engine to allow splitscreen co-op(hopefully 4 players), and community features such as video capture/screenshot mode while maintaining the visuals they had for Killzone 2 for the singleplayer in the very least. I'm also looking forward to more environments, like jungles and desserts.

BTW, what do you think the chances of them making Killzone 3 with better single player visuals than number 2 while supporting 4 player splitscreen?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I always liked this thread. Great source of information. Why they be hatin' though?

Why they be hatin'?

Schrade

This thread is like a giant beacon for the anti Sony crowd to come troll. Get the fuck out of here, jesus.

Some of us actually like to know how the system's features were used in games.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
SolidSnakex said:
You've got to have a weird sense of humor to find that even the slightest bit funny.
Or you need to be detached enough not to have any emotional involvement with pieces of plastic, realize we're talking about videogames after all, and have a laugh at all the people who take this hobby so seriously.

nib95 said:
I think it's called troll humour. Quite how that pic has any relevance to PS3 SPE usage is also beyond me...
There's nothing wrong with mocking crazy fanboys (the pic was meant to do that) whatever their faction is, it doesn't imply necessarily immature conzolewarz and trollz. I agree it was completely out of place here, though.

SamBa said:
In what way zealotry though?

MikeB stated things like thinking the PS3 provides higher quality movie playback options (a fact), MikeB criticized Microsoft for denying RRoD issues (now acknowledged to investors by Microsoft after pending legal action), he stated the PS3 is outselling the 360 taking equal timeframes (by September 2009 the PS3 sold over 27 million units, the XBox 360 only reached 25 million by November 28 2008, black friday, this despite an extra holiday season in PAL regions for the 360 and lower entry pricing), etc.

He got slammed by zealots for such statements, but in hindsight was MikeB wrong for stating such comments and opinions?

Personally I think with the cheaper slim, better advertising and games like Uncharted 2, many people can now better handle such comments and opinions. But that has to do with themselves and not MikeB.
You're right, I dare to say he was a true hero and a patriot.

shinshero said:
But its not really relevant to thread, and it detracts from the actual discussion. Not to mention, he just posted the pic out of nowhere.
As I said before, it had absolutely nothing to do with this thread, but this is not what I was arguing. I was replying to another user who called the pic shitty, and questioned his sense of humor. That's all.

ymmv

Banned
Schrade said:
This thread is like a giant beacon for the anti Sony crowd to come troll. Get the fuck out of here, jesus.

Some of us actually like to know how the system's features were used in games.

This thread was always filled to the brim with tech info and interesting links. So let's get back to that.

Top Bottom