• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3- Heavenly Sword screens (56k)

Old?

http://ve3d.ign.com/#632298

heavenlyswordplaystation3scree.jpg

heavenlyswordplaystation3scree1.jpg

heavenlyswordplaystation3scree2.jpg

heavenlyswordplaystation3scree3.jpg

heavenlyswordplaystation3scree4.jpg

sangreal

akascream said:
Was this the game that was pre-rendered at 5fps for the e3 conference?

5fps? no.
Pre-rendered? Yes, from the ingame engine. It was said that only some (outdoor) scenes had framerate issues. I think the only part not from the game was the closeup on the main character's face. I think they did some post-processing too

These shots are just from the trailer I think

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They're all from the vid, but I'm not sure if some of these are simply captures from the video or new direct screens? They're good quality captures.

The trailer was composed of devkit-drawn frames, put together at 60fps. According to the dev, at the time the trailer was put together indoor areas were running well, outdoor areas slower, hence the "speedup". All of the shots above were taken from the engine-rendered bits (only the closeup face shot at the beginning of the trailer was non-engine).

Nice vegetation :)

sangreal said:
5fps? no.
Pre-rendered? Yes, from the ingame engine. It was said that only some (outdoor) scenes had framerate issues. I think the only part not from the game was the closeup on the main character's face. I think they did some post-processing too

Actually Deano at b3d talked about how the patched the video together. It's running at pretty low framerates on the dev box, but it's pretty early on and he's absolutely confident that what we say is imminently achieavable (specifically, he said that they're not pushing the box hard at all yet, the games running at 1080p for that demo, and still getting good results on the dev box)

sangreal said:
These shots are just from the trailer I think
Yep, they're captures directly from the video (and I don't think it's even direct footage).

sangreal

sonycowboy said:
Actually Deano at b3d talked about how the patched the video together. It's running at pretty low framerates on the dev box, but it's pretty early on and he's absolutely confident that what we say is imminently achieavable (specifically, he said that they're not pushing the box hard at all yet, the games running at 1080p for that demo, and still getting good results on the dev box.
I don't think I said anything to the contrary? :)

teiresias

sonycowboy said:
Actually Deano at b3d talked about how the patched the video together. It's running at pretty low framerates on the dev box, but it's pretty early on and he's absolutely confident that what we say is imminently achieavable (specifically, he said that they're not pushing the box hard at all yet, the games running at 1080p for that demo, and still getting good results on the dev box).

Actually, he said the indoor scenes were very playable at 1080p, I don't remember him saying the indoor scenes were "pretty low" (he may have even mentioned 30fps, I don't feel like running a search on B3D at the moment). He did however, say the outdoor scenes needed some work, mainly because of hasty implementation of some things like the flags and whatnot.

It was also running as a single threaded application, and I believe implied it was only running on the PPE core and not using any SPEs.

sangreal

johnjohnson said:
Can't explain why, but it reminds me of Argonaut's Malice.

Because Ninja Theory is made up of former Argonaut and Just add Monsters (Argonaut subsidiary) employees?

Master

Banned
I really dig the look. They seem to have gone out of their way to not make the main character look like a Hollywood actress/model, which I dig.

On the other hand I don't find her attractive in the least, which is fine too. As long as the game plays well and looks that good in action.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Doom_Bringer said:
what was he doing there?

Visiting/checking up on progress, I guess! He apparently is in very regular contact with Japanese devs, so it's nice to see him come out to the western studios, and that he has a direct interest in SCE's portfolio.

I'm sure he was suitably impressed :)

Pimpwerx

gofreak said:
Here's a family photo too ;) Kutaragi came and visited them in their new offices, which was nice of him..

http://www.ninjatheory.com/blinkblink/images/stories/ken/kens_photo.jpg

They also have a lot of new jobs available:

http://www.ninjatheory.com/blinkblink/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=54

Look at those job listings. Deano said they were gonna be increasing in size soon. Looks like KK stopped by to hand out some moneyhats. :lol Seriously, SCEE must be noticing the great feedback this game is getting online. If they haven't already upped the game's budget, they better do so ASAP. PEACE.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
From their News Page:

At E3 we hoped to meet Ken Kutaragi, the father of PlayStation, but he was surrounded by so many journalists, fans and bouncers that we never got that chance. So imagine how delighted we were when he turned up last week and visited us in our new office! He is such a nice guy that you forget that you are talking to the equivalent of royalty. He asked to take a photo with us before he left and so here is Tameem, Mike, Kutaragi-san and Nina!

http://www.ninjatheory.com/blinkblink/images/stories/ken/kens_photo.jpg

hehehe that's cool.

Barnimal

Banned
its absolutely horrendous that WHATEVER media released for 360, being CG or flat out realtime aka PGR3 gets all kinda flack but a 2 month old ps3 prerendered sequence on ??? hardware gets nothing put praise and no question whatsoever. :lol ahhhh...gotta love this place.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Barnimal said:
its absolutely horrendous that WHATEVER media released for 360, being CG or flat out realtime aka PGR3 gets all kinda flack but a 2 month old ps3 prerendered sequence on ??? hardware gets nothing put praise and no question whatsoever. :lol ahhhh...gotta love this place.

It's in-engine on unfinished dev kits.

Barnimal said:

The recent PGR3 threads have a lot of positive replies. It's not our fault that 360 developers are releasing ugly apha hardware shots! What are we suppose to do? Praise them? Sorry but we all aren’t xbots like yourself.

Borys

Banned
Barnimal said:

Gears of War gets huge amounts of praise but I guess you missed that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Barnimal said:

its out in what, 3 months? I think people want to like the 360 shots, they are just getting pretty nervous.

and GoW and PGR got positive comments.

Pimpwerx

Barnimal said:

I assume you think it's prerendered b/c it looks so good, right? It's in-game, buddy. The clips were spliced together (as in, those moves aren't all one continuous sequence), and the game was rendered at a lower framerate and sped up. They might have added some AA and/or motion bluein post-process (not sure), and the opening scene (close-up of the face) was done in Maya, supposedly b/c the engine wasn't ready for that yet. Or something like that. It used the game's high-end model (cutscene?) though. All from Deano at B3D.

Oh, and there have been tons of questions on this game, and Deano has been very gracious in answering as many as his NDA would allow It's just a shame we haven't seen more of it since E3. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

mrklaw said:
its out in what, 3 months? I think people want to like the 360 shots, they are just getting pretty nervous.

and GoW and PGR got positive comments.
Damn straight. Good looking games get the praise they deserve. PC-esque games get slagged...as they deserve. GoW and PGR3 have been showered with much-deserved praise. Hell, people thought PGR3 shots were renders. ;) PEACE.

Barnimal said:
Funny, if there were 360 shots, you'd be saying "Now this is Next Gen. Screw PS3".

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Pimpwerx said:
They might have added some AA and/or motion bluein post-process (not sure)

I think the motion blur would be in-engine.

More notably, according to Deano the E3 trailer hasn't any AA.

Barnimal said:

Awww, not the "360 Justice Guy" routine. I mean really. Thread was going just fine.

Anyhow this looked much cooler in motion imo. I hope the physics displayed were an accurate representation, I thought along with all the enemies that was the best part. Plenty of stylish melee with parts of the evironment flying around realistically = happy next gen boy.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There's actually a conversation on B3D at the minute about HS again, and the latest from DeanoC on AA is:

No rendering AA at the moment but the HDR and camera model does effectively low-pass the image a little.

Pimpwerx

We definitely need more dev/fans who contribute to forums. Every dev should designate at least one guy to be the official internet rep to do some Q&A on forums. Or maybe I'm just saying that b/c the forum devs were the most useful ones last gen, and so far, are the most useful ones for this coming gen. I just think that when you communicate directly with gamers, you create a greater interest in your product b/c now there's a more personal face on it. I have no doubt that Heavenly Sword and Ninja Theory have gained more notoriety from the online discussions than that E3 trailer ever could have by itself. It's like Faf's game, which would probably never have been noticed if not for his constant involvement in forum discussions. All IMO. PEACE.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
A little more from DeanoC - the postprocessing of the trailer added the Depth of Field and motion blur, but it seems they didn't AA it (and that makes sense looking at some of the shots).

Take off the DOF and motion blur and you have the in-game. We have some DOF in-game now, so its pretty similar (thought the in-game DOF isn't up to Shakes standard yet).

The camera model is in-game, we take the frame, filter it, spin it around an axis, colour it and mix it all back together as a crude simulation of the optics in a real camera. (see Wreckless articles for the basics).

The camera model apparently helps reduce aliasing as per the last comment in my post above.

sangreal

gofreak said:
A little more from DeanoC - the postprocessing of the trailer added the Depth of Field and motion blur, but it seems they didn't AA it (and that makes sense looking at some of the shots)

To be fair, he said he doesn't know if any of the post-processing work involved AA

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
sangreal said:
To be fair, he said he doesn't know if any of the post-processing work involved AA

In one of his earlier comments, but he went on to say "Take off the DOF and motion blur and you have the in-game.", where there is no AA.

Looking closely at the shots, AA isn't particularly evident - if they had added AA, I'd expect it to be flawless.

Top Bottom